christao17

ATL Taxiway Alignment Question

Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:26 pm

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chaim Van Prooyen

This cool aerial photo of ATL brought a question to my mind that perhaps the experts on a.net can answer:

Why are the taxiways between runways 26L and 26R, and to the north of 26R, not aligned straight with the runways? Instead, they jog over near the ends of the runways.

If I recall, the old terminal at ATL used to be to the north (right side) of the picture, so perhaps that explain the northernmost taxiway, but what I've observed at most other airports with closely-spaced parallel runways is that the taxiways follow the same straight path as the runways.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?
Keeping the "civil" in civil aviation...

N774UA

RE: ATL Taxiway Alignment Question

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:54 pm

My guess would be that it has something to do with the ILS sensitive area.

Regards
N774UA
...follow his instructions, switch off at the stand.

christao17

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm

Quoting N774UA (Reply 1):

That was one of the possible answers I though of, but then I notice that the middle taxiway actually cuts over closer to the approach area of runway 26R, which is the primary landing runway (evidenced by the skid marks) on the north side of the ATL complex. If it gets closer to the runway at the approach end, I would think it more likely that it would interfere with the ILS sensitive area.

RL757PVD

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting N774UA (Reply 1):

That is correct, while not noticable in the picture, there are im pavement marking seperate form the runway hold position markings that identify this area on the ground.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

73G

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:32 pm

Quoting Christao17 (Reply 2):
I would think it more likely that it would interfere with the ILS sensitive area.

Actually, it would interfere with the ILS components. Look to the right of the 1000' markings on both 26L and 26R. See the grey, circular areas with the small white box in each of them? Those are the glideslope antennae. The taxiways have to be routed around those antennae.

deltagator

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:37 pm

One other thing to consider is that the runways in ATL used to intersect and that the taxiways (more evident on the south side of the field) use some of the original runways. It looks more like the ILS issue on the northern side but might have a little to do with original placement of runways.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

christao17

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting 73G (Reply 4):
Look to the right of the 1000' markings on both 26L and 26R. See the grey, circular areas with the small white box in each of them? Those are the glideslope antennae.

I see them - that makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying this.