NoUFO
Topic Author

Video Of Concorde Breaking The Sound Barrier

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:42 pm

Health warning: Do not krank up the volume!

Click me gently.
I support the right to arm bears

Ruscoe

RE: Video Of Concorde Breaking The Sound Barrier

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:55 pm

Excellent Thanks

Ruscoe

David L

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:18 pm

Strictly speaking, it was probably already through the sound barrier. The chances of that being the moment it broke through are fairly slim. The sonic boom's there the whole time it is (sorry, was  Sad ) supersonic. Good video, though.

Sorry, it's been a couple of days since my last incidence of being pedantic.  Smile

CCA

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 pm

Boy there are some great vids there:

The F14 flybys x3, Hornet Tomcat flyby, the 3 day trip the CX 744 at Kai Tak but make sure you look at "whaaasup (F-14)" or Navy

http://www.youtube.com/w/Navy?v=QhmX...%20Barrier%20Navy%20Plane%20Flight

[Edited 2006-02-10 12:55:01]
P1 in A330, A340, A346, B742, B744, B748.

jeffry747

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:22 pm

You know you are an aviation enthusiast when the sound of a sonic boom makes your eyes pop out and your jaw drops to the floor with excitement. All the vids on that page are freakin' awesome! Thanks alot for sharing that.  bigthumbsup   eyepopping 
C'mon Big B, FLY!

photolppt

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:27 pm

From the same website, try this one:

http://www.youtube.com/w/F-15-Fly-by?v=Lg-6rJFXIHY&search=airshow

Full afterburners at 50ft over an airshow. Health warning: please reduce your volume!  Smile

EGTESkyGod

Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:23 pm

See "Supersonic Contrail Pics" in (Archived) Civil Aviation.

Very cool video though. Concorde Captain Les Brodie scared the living crap out of about 80 people during a seminar at last years London Air Show with that clip.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

Arsenal@LHR

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:32 pm

Brilliant video, i've never heard Concorde breaking the sound barrier. One question though, do the passengers hear the two loud bangs.....as loud as people on the ground?
In Arsene we trust!!

EGTESkyGod

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 7):
do the passengers hear the two loud
bangs.....as loud as people on the ground?

Answer? No.

They are travelling faster than sound, they have passed where the sound is, so no chance.

Regards

Charlie (Spurs@EGTE!)

MX757

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:24 am

Awesome site!  bigthumbsup 

Thanks for posting it!
Is it broke...? Yeah I'll fix it.

GUAMVICE

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:05 am

Seeing that video has given me a totally new perspective of Concorde. I remember vividly the day it came to Guam. What a rare and opportune moment it was for anyone living out there to see her majesty. For those on the island that did get to see her when she visited us, the appreciation for the moment is much more profound now that she's not in service. I will share this video with my fellow enthusiasts back home. I'm sure they'll love it just as much as I did.

Regards,
Brandon
The two most engaging powers of a photographer are to make new things familiar and to make familiar things new. ~Thacker

SAS330GOT

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:15 am

To clarify for everyone that never got to fly her. All you feel our hear was two pushes in the back. At least for me. It was such an amazing journey for me. i only wish it would have been double the time.
SAS330got

EGTESkyGod

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting SAS330GOT (Reply 11):
i only wish it would have been double the time.

The point of Concorde was that it took half the time! Lol!!

David L

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 8):
do the passengers hear the two loud
bangs.....as loud as people on the ground?

Answer? No.

They are travelling faster than sound, they have passed where the sound is, so no chance.

And if they did it would be really annoying! It isn't a one-off event as the speed of sound is exceeded - it happens continuously all the time the aircraft is supersonic.

GDB

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:31 am

Arsenal@LHR, one BA Capt put it best over the PA;
"No bumps, no bangs, Concorde".
You did feel two slight nudges, just before Mach 1, they were the reheats being engaged, two at a time.

GuamVICE, as you probably know, Guam was a frequent stop over for Concordes doing round the world charters, BA were last there in Oct 99, with G-BOAD.
The last BA RTW, as planned at the time.
It features on a DVD, with a camera crew onboard, available from;
www.concordesst.com/books.html
The 'Concorde - 27 Years Of Supersonic Flight' DVD.

aircanada333

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:14 am

Damn! I didn't know the Concorde was making that much noise when braking the sound barrier!

Very nice video! Thanks for sharing.
Benjamin  wave 
De-icing RULZ!!!

pawsleykat

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:37 am

Did you know that the woman in the video is the wife of the pilot who was flying [i['Le Concorde'[/i] passing overhead that day?! I saw that video in a programme on 'Dicovery Wings' channel about the crash of F-BTSC. BTW, that's is the plane (BTSC) flying in that video.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bernard Charles

JG
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

Gary2880

Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:46 am

the bang thing,

no doubt ill be corrected if im wrong,

but wasnt that bang happening all the time that concorde was going super sonic,

e.g. being the reason it couldnt fly supersonic over land.

rather than that just being the actual moment when it passed the sound barrier. pretty sure thats right??
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

grimey

Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 17):
the bang thing,

no doubt ill be corrected if im wrong,

but wasnt that bang happening all the time that concorde was going super sonic,

e.g. being the reason it couldnt fly supersonic over land.

rather than that just being the actual moment when it passed the sound barrier. pretty sure thats right??

Yeh your right about that, the people a few miles behind the cameraman would have heard the two bangs a few minutes before they did and anyone a few miles in front of the cameraman would have heard the two bangs a few minutes after them.

Grimey

chksix

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:02 am

Unfortunately the video is stuck at the "loading" screen.

Just wanted to say that those bangs are heard when the space shuttle crosses the Cali coastline. Hopefully that will happen in May with STS-121  Smile
The conveyor belt plane will fly

gdodds

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:05 am

Nice video, i think i've seen that video before on a television programme, but the links down the side i enjoyed as well

antares

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:10 am

GDB,

I flew Concorde a number of times in service and I am worried that my memory is playing up with me as my recollections of going through Mach 1 were different.

After we went out over the Solent on one flight I clearly recall the captain saying reheat was not applied until it had exceeded something like 1.2 and would be kept on until 1.7 and about 47,000 feet was reached and then we would 'drift up' to about 54,000 feet and hunt up and down for the right combination of speed and nose temperature.

The push through the sound barrier was itself very gentle. The wonderful bird just surged ahead, the Mach counter flipping over 0.99 then 1.00 then higher in almost no time. Indeed the subsonic phase was very serene once the drop nose had been raised, while above Mach 1 you could hear the friction (and feel it after a while as window heat).

You certainly felt the afterburners come back on, just as you noticed them coming off after those exceptional takeoffs. When the transonic climb phase was over you also felt them come off again.

Out of JFK the transition seemed much faster I assume because there was no land within range of the boom.

It was a comparatively rare and superb experience to fly Concorde. Because of my antiquity I will never fly in the successor which surely comes...one glorious day.

Antares

remymartin11

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:13 am

Check out the video I took from USS Theodore Roosevelt.....

http://www.flightlevel350.com/viewer.php?id=4881

GDB

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:16 am

No, the reheat had to be applied to go supersonic, this was true of all flights, it could not do it on 'dry' power.
But it was disengaged around Mach 1.7
Mach 2 was reached around 50,000 ft.

On my 7 flights, I never noticed much the nudges of reheat application, until my last, OAE's retirement to BGI, but then I was in the very last row, rear cabin, also standing up at the time.

I am puzzled why any Capt would say reheat engaged at Mach 1.2/3, was he referring to something else?
The only thing I can think of are the intake ramps, to control the airflow into the engines, keeping them at acceptable speeds for the engine, usually these began working at Mach 1.3.

TAP340

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:29 am

Wow... That gave me goosehumps! (That's not how you write that, I'm I right?)

antares

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:58 am

GDB,

Ta. Did it four return and one single flights on the main route, plus once on the Miami-Dulles-London route, meaning the Concorde was actually making a supersonic trip between two US cities. I think the supersonic phase was less than 30 minutes.

To my frustration I only recall the counter fluttering a bit above Mach 2 once. Most of the time it got to 1.99 and stayed there, or dropped down a little every now and then. Likewise I'm not sure I ever got to 60,000 feet. I'm sure it was at 59,000 feet some times on some flights and I think one of them never flew higher than 54,000 feet.

But it was a stunner.

Difficult to imagine anything as thrilling happening on a commercial flight again in my life time, although I read the thread on the Q400 earlier today which made it sound pretty remarkable. I wonder if they can fly it into, make that onto, the Mt Hotham strip which sees Qantaslink Dash 8s. Or even into Wollongong's rather scenic little airport, or Strahan or Queenstown in Tasmania. I don't recall more than a light plane strip somewhere on the Tassie west coast, but I haven't been there for some time.

Antares

GDB

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:21 am

An MIA-IAD? I'm jealous! This sector did have a rather different flight envelope, as you would have seen.
Supersonic at a higher altitude etc.

cancidas

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:17 pm

that f-15 video brings back some very good memories.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

RayChuang

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:47 pm

The Concorde sonic boom is particularly loud because it was perhaps the largest plane to fly supersonically on a regular basis (people forget the Concorde is physically larger than the SR-71). Because of its size, the pressure wave buildup that causes the boom is quite strong, and that means you will hear a quite loud boom.

Probably the only thing generates a louder sonic boom is the Space Shuttle when during its final descent when it is travelling above Mach 3, mostly because the Shuttle's shape is conducive to generate a large pressure wave buildup. Interestingly enough, an ICBM re-entry vehicle generates relatively little boom, mostly because pointed cone shape and physically small size of the RV means the pressure wave buildup is much smaller even with the much higher terminal velocity.

DeC

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:18 pm

Awesome video...thanks a lot for sharing! Is there a way to download the vids from that site?

And also, wanted to ask, can the sonic boom also be heard inside its cabin?
DEC

motopolitico

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting TAP340 (Reply 24):
That gave me goosehumps! (That's not how you write that, I'm I right?)

No, Americans would say, "goosebumps". Older Americans would say, "goose pimples". Brits would say, 'gooseflesh'.

But your valiant attempt did get a smile out of me!
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

NoUFO
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:31 pm

Glad you liked the video.

Quoting David L (Reply 2):
Strictly speaking, it was probably already through the sound barrier. (...)
Sorry, it's been a couple of days since my last incidence of being pedantic.

You sure are right, Mr. Pedantic.  Wink

Quoting DeC (Reply 29):
Is there a way to download the vids from that site?

No, the video is streaming; you may find a Flash Player Movie in your Browser's cache, but that only loads the video from the server.

Quoting DeC (Reply 29):
And also, wanted to ask, can the sonic boom also be heard inside its cabin?

Ok, you didn't bother reading the thread, did you?  Wink
I support the right to arm bears

rootsair

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:21 pm

Wow gorgeous video! I have a number of questions and remarks

1)What exactly were those boat trips...I have heard of boat trips taking people to see thwe concodre break the sound barrier

2)Did those boats have special windows.... from what I've ehard the blast was strong enough to brake windows

3)No wonder why the nomads in Saudi Arabia complained when the concorde flew over them back in the times the concorde operated LHR-SIN via Manama
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

StanstedFlyer

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:29 pm

Quoting Motopolitico (Reply 30):
Brits would say, 'gooseflesh'

I've never said that!!! Always been goosepimples for me. But if wants goosehumps well..........

Anyway, great video, thanks for the link, but that Wasssup one was good as well. Those guys are nuts!
View the photos by C Newman on Airliners.net!

David L

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:07 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
On my 7 flights, I never noticed much the nudges of reheat application

I was going to say that. I noticed them because I made damn sure I was sitting back in my seat waiting for them. Anyone shifting in their seat or leaning forward might not notice them. It's a pity the blue "supersonic" lighting never made an appearance.

Quoting Antares (Reply 25):
I only recall the counter fluttering a bit above Mach 2 once. Most of the time it got to 1.99 and stayed there, or dropped down a little every now and then. Likewise I'm not sure I ever got to 60,000 feet.

I did get a steady Mach 2.00 each time but never got above 58,000 ft. Highest speed shown was 1390 mph - I still can't quite get my head round that!

Quoting StanstedFlyer (Reply 33):
Always been goosepimples for me.

Agreed - "goosebumps" are definitely "foreign".  Smile

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 31):
Quoting David L (Reply 2):
Strictly speaking, it was probably already through the sound barrier. (...)
Sorry, it's been a couple of days since my last incidence of being pedantic.

You sure are right, Mr. Pedantic.

I thank you!  angel 

AvObserver

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:47 am

One question though, do the passengers hear the two loud bangs.....as loud as people on the ground?

To clarify for everyone that never got to fly her. All you feel our hear was two pushes in the back. At least for me.

Quoting GDB (Reply 14):
No bumps, no bangs, Concorde".
You did feel two slight nudges, just before Mach 1, they were the reheats being engaged, two at a time.

Guess I wasn't sitting far enough back; I didn't hear or feel anything at all. The transition to Mach 1 seemed absolutely seamless; quite the opposite of that of early supersonic aircraft that were severely buffetted at transonic speeds. In stark contrast to those early planes, some of which all but shook themselves to pieces going through the sound barrier, Concorde's transition to the passengers was like a hot knife going through melted butter; smooth as glass, a testament as to how incredibly well optimized the design was for its entire flight envelope. Unbelieveable those engineers were able to do that with 1950's and 1960s technology, often relying, I've heard, on slide rules, not full-fledged computers. Awesome acheivement, especially considering that!

Nimish

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:38 am

Great thread and great video as well. Is there a good website that describes the challenges of flying supersonic, and the how the Concorde did it?
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

RichardPrice

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting Nimish (Reply 36):
Great thread and great video as well. Is there a good website that describes the challenges of flying supersonic, and the how the Concorde did it?

Try http://www.concordesst.com/

David L

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting AvObserver (Reply 35):
One question though, do the passengers hear the two loud bangs.....as loud as people on the ground?

To clarify for everyone that never got to fly her. All you feel our hear was two pushes in the back. At least for me.

Quoting GDB (Reply 14):
No bumps, no bangs, Concorde".

Guess I wasn't sitting far enough back; I didn't hear or feel anything at all. The transition to Mach 1 seemed absolutely seamless;

Just to clarify, the "two loud bangs" Arsenal@LHR is referring to are not the "two nudges" that others are talking about. Arsenal@LHR was asking about the sonic boom. The two nudges which could just be felt were caused, as GDB says, by the reheats being lit before Mach 1, not by breaking the sound barrier. The only sound barrier clues were the cabin display and the PA announcement (what a rip-off  biggrin  )

GDB

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:52 am

There is a story about one of the early pax flights, a pax commented to Sir George Edwards, the head of BAC, that the transition to supersonic flight was so smooth.
"Yes, that was the hard bit" replied Sir George.

You usually only reached 60,000ft on a BGI, longer sector (around 4hrs, 10min), flying over the tropics at 11 miles up, where the air was cooler than over say the N.Atlantic, thus increasing engine efficiency, which also gave a range boost.
My only flight to reach 60,000 was OAE's last flight to BGI.

The Marilake cabin displays were a guide, not 100% accurate all the time, so fluctuations could happen.

EGTESkyGod

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:42 pm

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 16):
BTW, that's is the plane (F-BTSC) flying in that video.

Really? If true, thats very interesting. I was told it was one of the last Air France flights to New York, that some enthusiasts purposefully sailed out to witness some time in 2003.

Quoting Motopolitico (Reply 30):
Brits would say, 'gooseflesh'.

No, we say goosebumps too!

pawsleykat

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:32 pm

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 40):
Really? If true, thats very interesting. I was told it was one of the last Air France flights to New York, that some enthusiasts purposefully sailed out to witness some time in 2003.

Maybe it's not. It said so in the programme but I musn't have listened properly. It still could be tho.
First Class passengers are my favourites. They can't get any further forward without an ATPL.

EGTESkyGod

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting Pawsleykat (Reply 16):
Did you know that the woman in the video is the wife of the pilot who was flying 'Le Concorde' passing overhead that day?!

If so, then thats very interesting as well.

David L

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:44 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 39):
The Marilake cabin displays were a guide, not 100% accurate all the time, so fluctuations could happen.

Fair enough. It would still have been nice as a clue (and photo opportunity) for the gobsmacked punters like me, though.  Smile