andaman

Finnair's New CEO: Further To Asia

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:27 pm

Finnair's new CEO was interviewed in Sweden 10th Feb (flygtorget.se) and asked about AY's future plans. He said he can see AY expanding in Asia to new countries like Malaysia, South Korea, Phillippines and to new destinations in China and India. Especially China is important to AY, they are now the 3rd biggest airliner between China and Europe, after Lufthansa and Air France.
Last year AY carried about 700,000 passengers to/from Asia, most of them were transit passengers.
In Europe Finnair has around 40 destinations.

He was also asked what he thinks about the old idea AY and SK "getting married", he answered it might solve some of SK's problems but none of AY's.
He said it sounds like a story of Chicken and Pig who decided to make the breakfast together. Chicken said: Ok, I'll bring the eggs, you'll bring the bacon!.

[Edited 2006-02-11 06:36:28]

[Edited 2006-02-11 06:44:26]
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

killjoy

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:23 pm

I wonder if the rate of "1-2 new routes a year" is due to business concerns or because they can't get more aircraft quickly enough.

How much would it take to surpass LH and AF, anyway?

Lufthansa747

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:11 pm

Quoting Andaman (Thread starter):
like Malaysia, South Korea, Phillippines

I would predict

HEL-ICN
HEL-HKG-MNL
HEL-BKK-KUL

if those routes materialize.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

andaman

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:36 am

I think HEL-ICN would make lot of sense, rather than MNL?
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

B742

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:41 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 2):

I would predict

HEL-ICN
HEL-HKG-MNL
HEL-BKK-KUL

I agree here, although I think MNL would be served via BKK insted  Smile

I wish KUL would get a non-stop to HEL, I would love to fly AY to Malaysia  Smile

Rob!  wave 

heisan67

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:52 am

Go Finnair!! A good company which has a great product. Good and many routes to Asia.

SAS and Finnair "married" - I hope not. That will be the death of long haul traffic from HEL. SAS would ship all long haul thru CPH.

malaysia

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:55 am

There are not many Filipinas in Thailand than Hong Kong, so if AY gets rights to sell tickets between HKG-MNL, then they would make more profit vs. BKK-MNL
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

andaman

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:12 am

I don't think Finnair has any need to think co-operation with SK, AY is a debt-free company, it can even take some risks in Asia now.
And SK+AY could be too strong locally and a problem to EU, there are rather strict with free markets and free competititon.

sobelair

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:21 am

Finnair has of the best hubs in Europe, and hopefully they will open more routes in China. This would generate more transit passengers, since China is booming and will be booming for a time to come.

I certainly agree focus on Asia is a right decision. Eventually Japan might be also interesting for Finnair if JAL is to enter Oneworld.

Good luck Finnair! P.S. I love Embraer 170 in Finnair colors!

Lufthansa747

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:26 am

HEL-BKK-MNL is much longer than HEL-HKG-MNL.

4898+1369 vs. 4859+711

BKK-MNL is purely very low yield traffic (well any MNL route is...) but considering all the Filipinos in HKG and potential CX oneworld customers, I think HKG would make much more sense.

Switch the three HEL-BKK-HKG flights to HEL-BKK-KUL to try the KUL market first.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

YLWbased

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 9):
BKK-MNL is purely very low yield traffic (well any MNL route is...) but considering all the Filipinos in HKG and potential CX oneworld customers, I think HKG would make much more sense.

Point agreed, since there are currently 150000 phlipinno (dunno how to spell it) domestic helper working in Hong Kong. And there are only 3 airlines serving HKG-MNL route, which is CX, PAL and Cubu Pacific, there are still tons of rooms for starting a new HKG-MNL service. but the problem is, could they gain the right to do so.
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

andaman

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:44 am

I don't think there will be any fourth city in Japan for AY in near future, after Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya. Perhaps more slots in Narita, if only possible.
AY has already started co-operation with JAL, that could get deeper.

UpperDeck79

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Quoting Andaman (Reply 11):
I don't think there will be any fourth city in Japan for AY in near future, after Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya. Perhaps more slots in Narita, if only possible.
AY has already started co-operation with JAL, that could get deeper.

Exactly, AY now code-shares with JAL from FUK, CTS and HND, so I don't see any new AY-metal destinations there. Hopefully the code-sharing will increase when NGO operations start in June.
AY and ANA rock!

willyj

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:27 pm

Why wouldn't AY just fly to HKG and then codeshare with CX on to MNL? It seems to me that european carriers have found MNL to be a very low yield market (as most have pulled out) and not worth the trouble. Oneworld could use a European carrier flying between europe and ICN as none do, and KUL might be a good idea as an extension to a BKK flight, but I don't see the reasoning behind a flight to MNL.

UpperDeck79

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:07 pm

Quoting Willyj (Reply 13):
Oneworld could use a European carrier flying between europe and ICN as none do, and KUL might be a good idea as an extension to a BKK flight, but I don't see the reasoning behind a flight to MNL.

Well ICN or KUL is quite possibly the next new destination for AY and MNL might come after a few years. They are not blocking each other out.
AY and ANA rock!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos