speedmarque

Rumour: GB Airways To Become Full BA Subsidiary.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:16 pm

This is a rumour around LGW at the moment, following Kevin Hattons appointment as Chief of GB.

Cheers

LTU932

RE: Rumour: GB Airways To Become Full BA Subsidiary.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:21 pm

Any more details on this rumour about GB Airways becoming a full BA subsidiary and how this could affect their ops?

Orion737

Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:49 pm

I hope Bland and GB dont sell out comnpletley to BA. They have always been a family type company offering an excellent service.

[Edited 2006-02-11 10:49:46]

aa1818

Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Will it become part of BA Connect or maintain it's separate brand but merely be 'more controlled' by BA?

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

richardw

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:13 pm

Does it actually make much money, it is always adjusting routes, dropping OPO launching SSH, a long flying day, late night services LGW-IBZ.

Orion737

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:20 pm

Please Bland dont sell out to BA and allow GB Airways to turn into a BAConnect with LCC style service.

monkeyboi

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:24 pm

This could all fall into some grand plan for BA at LGW.

By the end of this year LGW long-haul flights will be merged into the Eurogatwick operation. The long-haul flights will be operated by eurogatwick crew to the eurogatwick (shorthaul) agreement.

So no more CSD (Cabin Service Directors) on board and a greater saving to BA as the crew operating these flights will be on a cheaper contract (less allowances, days off afetr trips etc). All the current LGW long-haul crew will be re-based to LHR this year.

Maybe plans for GB to somehow slot into this as well?

speedmarque

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:00 pm

Thanks monkeyboi, although none of what you quote has been formally agreed yet of course. Union issues. And not all LGW WW crew will transfer, I know of a few who like LGW and will stay on "onefleet LGW".

gayrugbyman

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:06 pm

Anyone got any news on a rumoured GB route from Manchester to Moscow?

richardw

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Reply 8):
Anyone got any news on a rumoured GB route from Manchester to Moscow?

But that would compete with the CX service, so unlikely.

gayrugbyman

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:43 pm

CX has been potponed for 'indefinite period' - see thread on it.

BMED

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:46 pm

I wouldn't have thought it would be a GB service to Moscow seen as they mainly fly to the Med. Maybe a A319 service from MAN if they still have them. Saying that would any of the citiexpress fleet be able to fly such a route. I'm not sure on the distance but it seems pretty long.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

gayrugbyman

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:40 am

Maybe it;s one for BMed then? The Citiexpress fleet are just Embraers, 146s and a few Dash 8s.

It wouldnt surprise me in the least if BA or one of its franchises get in there on the Moscow route before CX get their house in order.

I should imagine there is vertainly money to be made on this route.

FlyCaledonian

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:45 am

I hope Bland don't sell out to BA for the simple reason that the previous franchise carriers taken over by BA have seen their former networks slashed to ribbons. I may be wrong, but I'd have thought GT still has a lower cost base than BA. It was able to take on the BA routes to Malaga and Faro after all.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

BestWestern

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:46 am

The cadogan group - owners of GB airways are struggling at present, so there may be some truth to this rumour.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

BMED

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:52 am

I would have maybe thought a BD route but then again we would see such a chop and change. One day it would be a ERJ-135 stopping off somewhere on route, the next a nice A332 and then a leased 757!

On a real note could BD fly the route from MAN even though they don't fly to Moscow from LHR or any other airport.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

monkeyboi

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:30 am

I remember a few years ago BD were fighting like mad for the license to operate LHR to Moscow. After some stiff competition from VS, BD were eventually issued the license.......and then despite several start-up dates NEVER operated a single flight on the route! Crazy!

ManchesterMAN

Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting Monkeyboi (Reply 16):
I remember a few years ago BD were fighting like mad for the license to operate LHR to Moscow. After some stiff competition from VS, BD were eventually issued the license.......and then despite several start-up dates NEVER operated a single flight on the route! Crazy!

That's because they are Bloody Misguided Idiots  crazy 
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

vv701

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
Any more details on this rumour about GB Airways becoming a full BA subsidiary and how this could affect their ops?

What goes around comes around. For most of its life GT has effectively been all but a BEA / BA subsidiary.

Formed as Gibair to operate a Gibraltar to Tangier service in 1931, the airline soon became inactive. It restarted operations in 1947 when British European Airways bought a majority shareholding. Its 51 per cent stake passed to BA in 1974 and was subsequently reduced to 49 per cent. As recently as 1995 BA sold their stake back to Bland but also signed the current franchise agreement.

However since then the relationship has been more than that of being franchise partners. For example I believe that several of the aircraft operated by GB Airways today are leased by them from BA. G-TTOJ, an A320, is a good example. It was bought by BA from Airbus on 30 March 2004 and put into service by GB Airways the following day (BA6902 LGW-GIB). However it remained registered to BA until 14 June 2004 when the registration was transferred to GB Airways.

So if BA is going to retake a significant stake in GB Airways I would only expect this would effect the airline's operations if there were some much larger changes to, for example, the BA EuroGatwick operation. However even then it should be remembered that GB Airways also flies out of LHR.

Going bach to earlier days, prior to operating in BA colours - Landor from 1995 and then Utopia from 1997 - GB Airways had two distinct liveries:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TriplET
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © D. Miguel Ruiz

LTU932

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 18):
What goes around comes around. For most of its life GT has effectively been all but a BEA / BA subsidiary.

Formed as Gibair to operate a Gibraltar to Tangier service in 1931, the airline soon became inactive. It restarted operations in 1947 when British European Airways bought a majority shareholding. Its 51 per cent stake passed to BA in 1974 and was subsequently reduced to 49 per cent. As recently as 1995 BA sold their stake back to Bland but also signed the current franchise agreement.

However since then the relationship has been more than that of being franchise partners. For example I believe that several of the aircraft operated by GB Airways today are leased by them from BA. G-TTOJ, an A320, is a good example. It was bought by BA from Airbus on 30 March 2004 and put into service by GB Airways the following day (BA6902 LGW-GIB). However it remained registered to BA until 14 June 2004 when the registration was transferred to GB Airways.

So if BA is going to retake a significant stake in GB Airways I would only expect this would effect the airline's operations if there were some much larger changes to, for example, the BA EuroGatwick operation. However even then it should be remembered that GB Airways also flies out of LHR.

Thanks for the explanation. Let's see how this will turn out in the end, so those who have more info on this rumour keep us posted.

BAxMAN

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:08 am

I've heard nothing of this rumour, but I hope there's some truth to it.

Whilst Orion and his ilk may like the reportedly good service they provide in the air (I've never flown them so can't comment), everything else about GT is a bit of a shambles. I've lost count of the number of schedule changes and cancelled flights GT have had this year. And we're not talking about a flight being adjusted by an hour or so, but quite often 10 hour adjustments. People expecting to arrive in LGW late at night, but still in time to use the last available public transport, are now finding out they arrive at 3am. People with connections to/from the regions are also being royally screwed. It's an embarrassment to have to deal with so many of these screwed up bookings and people, understandably, are saying that they will never book BA again.

Last week, I had to deal with an elderly Italian couple who had already flown outbound NAP-LGW-TFN. Or were supposed to have done but GT decided to mess about with the LGW-TFN flights. Instead, they were forced to fly NAP-LGW-TFS. Now, as their 5 month break in Tenerife was coming to an end, they now discover that their return flights TFN-LGW-NAP now misconnect due to yet another GT schedule change on their TFN service. They are now forced to fly 2 days earlier so their plans can now suit GT's erratic schedule planners'.

These schedule massacres occur during every season, every year. Hopefully, bringing GT under more direct control from BA will bring some common sense to GT's timetables.
I need to get laid

BCAL

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 14):
The cadogan group - owners of GB airways are struggling at present

The last that I heard is that the Cadogen Group were performing well, are highly rated as 'buy', and GB Airways was contributing well to their profits.

Part of the success of GB Airways is their lower cost base compared with BA and that is why they can succeed on routes where BA cannot. If they merge, this advantage would be lost.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

richardw

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:41 pm

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 20):
These schedule massacres occur during every season, every year.

They do, I was hoping to fly LGW-IBZ this summer on GT but the schedules kept changing, in early Jan they still looked a bit odd, with returning flights not shown, and yes in late Jan they changed it to a very late service. I think I'll buy one ways on charter flights to get good timings instead.

AIR MALTA

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Well I did not fly GT since 1993... At that time they were not BA franchisee yet. I will fly them again in March. I am looking forward to it.

I think BA should take a majority stake in GT without buying them totally. I think GT does a good job and like someones said, if BA took control of GT, a lot of routes will disappear.

Look what happended to Cityflyer Express, Air Manx, Brymon Airways, Dan Air...

I hope also they will go Daily to Tunis and from LHR, anyone knows if it is planned?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

AIR MALTA

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:07 pm

Flights to Valencia are to be withdrawn beginning of May. So it seems that the Spanish routes are not that successful as some have suggested.

BCAL

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:26 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 24):
Flights to Valencia are to be withdrawn beginning of May. So it seems that the Spanish routes are not that successful as some have suggested.

It seems that FR has a strong grip on routes to Spain and airports besides Madrid and Barcelona, and GB Airways might have found that their aircraft and slots at LGW can be more cost effectively used on other routes where they are not forced to go head against FR and the LCCs with fares averaging £50.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

richardw

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:22 pm

I think GT will start a service to the Cape Verde islands fairly soon from LGW, you won't find FR and U2 flying there.

AIR MALTA

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 26):
I think GT will start a service to the Cape Verde islands fairly soon from LGW, you won't find FR and U2 flying there.

No that could be also a good idea. They should also look at Banjul and Dakar. They are surely holiday spots with little competition from the UK.

richardw

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:31 pm

I wonder which of their routes has the most Club class passengers, my guess would be LHR-AGP.

gayrugbyman

Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:13 am

From what I have seen, MAN - RAK/PFO/LPA (posh queens love it) and MLA all have acceptable C clas loads.

richardw

Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 24):
Flights to Valencia are to be withdrawn beginning of May

LGW-VLC is still bookable for May at www.ba.com

oneworld1

Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 27):

The focus is coming off the mainland spanish routes. Hence most recent new routes have been to dalaman, izmir and Pfo. These can't, yet, be accessed by No Frills. They had the same experience with the south/south west of france about 3 years ago. Perpignan, Toulon etc.

AIR MALTA

Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:56 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 30):
LGW-VLC is still bookable for May at www.ba.com

From ba.com, "your questions":

London Gatwick to Valencia route withdrawal

British Airways Franchise Partner, GB Airways, has announced that it is to withdraw services between London Gatwick and Valencia.
The last flight will be 22 May 2006 with 2 adhoc flights operating on 27 May 2006 and 3 June 2006.

richardw

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:47 am

Iberia withdraws the VLC-LHR route as well

http://latestflightnews.custhelp.com...dj0mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Wonder which route is next, Seville-LON?

B742

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:49 am

On a slight side note, has anyone experianced the GB Airways service?

I am flying to RAK from LGW in April, what's it like?

Rob!  wave 

vv701

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting B742 (Reply 34):

As a BA franchise operator it has to be indistinguishable from BA's service. I have flown with GB several times on the LGW-MPL route and confirm that it is equivalent to BA standards.

Tristarsteve

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 18):
Gibair to operate a Gibraltar to Tangier service

Many years ago we took the Gibair DC3 from Tangiers to GIB one Sunday morning. There were four of us, the only passengers on board. We were standing in the cockpit on the approach. Those were the days!(1969)

BA380

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 35):
Quoting B742 (Reply 34):

As a BA franchise operator it has to be indistinguishable from BA's service. I have flown with GB several times on the LGW-MPL route and confirm that it is equivalent to BA standards.

although I haven't flown with them for 3 or 4 years, they used to be actually BETTER than company-operated C class. they blocked out the middle seat for a 2-2 config, rather than the 2-3 and the food and booze selection was at least on a par with mainline.
cabin crew: doors to automatic and cross-check...