TheFlyGuy2
Topic Author

United DC-8 Lounge

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:29 am

Any Memories Of United DC-8 Lounge- Or The Aircraft In General?

Does Anyone Know If United Kept There DC-8 Lounge In Until Its Retirement In 1991?

Thanks

christao17

RE: United DC-8 Lounge

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:58 am

I don't have any memories of the lounge, but I was working for UA when we retired the DC-8s and they didn't have a lounge then. And I can't recall them having a lounge anytime I flew them from the 80s onwards.
More than a decade flying in and around Asia...

milesrich

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:03 am

The DC-8-21's, and DC-8-52's had a 5 seat coach lounge until they were retired. R1, R2, and R3 faced backwards, with R4, and R5 facing fowards with a table in between. These seats were sold, and were there until these aircraft were retired during the period of 1977-1980. The lounge was located at the rear of the coach cabin on the port side of the aircraft, across from the galley. There was also a first class lounge on these aircraft on the starboard side with four seats facing each other and a table in between. The coach lounge was present on both the two class and all coach class aircraft. This information is from memory, as I flew many UA DC-8 between 1962 and 1980 and by referring to the 1979 United Executive Secretary that has a seat chart for each type of aircraft.

The DC-8's 61/71 and 62 did not have this lounge.

ctbarnes

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:12 am

Quoting Milesrich (Reply 2):
The DC-8-21's, and DC-8-52's had a 5 seat coach lounge until they were retired. R1, R2, and R3 faced backwards, with R4, and R5 facing fowards with a table in between. These seats were sold, and were there until these aircraft were retired during the period of 1977-1980.

I remember that area too. I flew on a DC-8 (probably a -21) back in 1972 from JFK-SEA and seeing a family around that table during the flight, and (I was only 11 at the time) wondering when they were going to get up and move so I could sit there for a while. It did not dawn on me at the time that the seats were sold, but in some ways it made a lot of sense for a family traveling together.

The forward lounge for F class was right in the entry way, and I think there was also a 2 seat sectional on the opposite side next to the door. Behind the lounge facing aft was the F galley on the left and two lavs on the right with the actual first class seating beyond.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

fanofjets

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:48 am

I have flown on both the -21 and -61; unfortunately, I was too young to remember the former, and the latter did not feature lounges. So, I had to turn to Google and found some neat stuff:

http://www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES/MEM-UNITED.html
http://www.adclassix.com/ads2/59uniteddc8.htm
http://aviationmodels-online.com/pho...lery/cutaway/page1/UnitedDC821.htm
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos