Indy
Topic Author

FL Dropping IND-FLL

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:20 am

I saw it removed from the routemap and now the route has been pulled from the FL schedule. May 8th will be the last day for IND-FLL. Guess it wasn't doing very well.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

zippyjet

RE: FL Dropping IND-FLL

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:22 am

This FL route may have been one of our seasonal routes. MYR is seasonal and I believe our up and coming SEA service may start out being a Summer route.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

N742AT

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:24 am

Every time I would look at the loads for IND the FLL route was one of the highest for the day. This is truly odd that we are pulling this route, especially since we are trying to build IND into a secondary hub. I guess that's just the way things play out in the airline business

MAH4546

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:38 am

Not a big deal, just a seasonal adjustment. Returning 15Nov06, IIRC.

South Florida's demand is largely from the East and West coasts. Demand from the Midwest is heavily seasonal.
a.

luv2fly

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 3):
Demand from the Midwest is heavily seasonal.

That might have been true at one time it is not the case now. With people visiting relative, the famous mouse and the numerous cruise lines departing almost daily it is hardly a "seasonal" market by any means.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MAH4546

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):
That might have been true at one time it is not the case now. With people visiting relative, the famous mouse and the numerous cruise lines departing almost daily it is hardly a "seasonal" market by any means.

Please re-read what I said. I said demand from the Midwest to South Florida is heavily seasonal. That is still the case, and hasn't change lately. The Midwest has strong ties to Florida's Gulf Coast - not South Florida.
a.

luv2fly

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 5):
The Midwest has strong ties to Florida's Gulf Coast - not South Florida

Do not agree on that either, as that is where all the cruise ships depart from and the Midwest is a very strong cruise market having worked for several cruise lines so far. Also the Midwest does visit South Florida.

MAH4546

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 6):
as that is where all the cruise ships depart from and the Midwest is a very strong cruise market having worked for several cruise lines so far

Cruise ship season peaks October through late April. After that comes hurricanes, and most cruise ship companies move their boats to Alaska, Europe, etc. There are still, of course, Caribbean cruises during the summer, but they use smaller boats, depart less often, and have a large porportion of Florida-resident guests who can find really good Florida resident bargains on cruises during the summer months.
a.

nkops

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:55 am

Does anybody else still fly that route?? I believe TZ flew it at one time and DL.
:evil:

lightsaber
Crew

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):

??? When I lived in Florida I couldn't help but notice that for 5 months of the year the population was a lot higher than the other 7. While the midwest probably sends people to and from Florida year round, I bet the airframe could make more money during the summer flying elsewhere and instead hub people through ATL. Just my  twocents 

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

MAH4546

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 8):
Does anybody else still fly that route?? I believe TZ flew it at one time and DL.

Northwest flies a daily DC-9, year-round. American Airlines flies MIA-IND with a daily 738 and American Eagle with a daily ERJ-140, both year-round.
a.

luv2fly

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:06 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 7):
Cruise ship season peaks October through late April. After that comes hurricanes, and most cruise ship companies move their boats to Alaska, Europe, etc. There are still, of course, Caribbean cruises during the summer, but they use smaller boats, depart less often, and have a large porportion of Florida-resident guests who can find really good Florida resident bargains on cruises during the summer months.

Yes during the Summer you have less cruise ships sailing from south Florida though it is still a strong market for the cruise lines and it is not all Florida passengers that are sailing.

md90fan

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 8):

NW flies it  Smile A relic from the IND focus city  silly 

Airline Northwest
Flight Number 637
Departure City (Airport) Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Departure Time 02/11/2006 03:54 PM
Arrival City (Airport) Indianapolis, IN (IND)
Arrival Time 02/11/2006 06:17 PM
Remaining Flight Time 01:11
Aircraft Type DC93
Current Altitude 35,000 feet
Current Groundspeed 488 mph
Flight Status In Flight
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

rwsea

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 12):
NW flies it A relic from the IND focus city

Speaking of the IND focus city, is IND-SEA coming back this summer? Heard that the route did well with all of the summer cruise traffic.

Indy
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:40 am

Yes IND-SEA is coming back. In June I believe.

Edit:
This could very well be a seasonal thing with FLL. It seems to be going away after the busy spring travel season. Maybe it comes back in the fall. Unfortunately I can't see far enough in advance on airtran.com to check.

[Edited 2006-02-12 00:51:35]

burnsie28

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 13):
Speaking of the IND focus city, is IND-SEA coming back this summer? Heard that the route did well with all of the summer cruise traffic.

IND-SEA and DEN are for sure coming back, and I think one other one that they dropped will be coming back.

Indy
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:54 am

Burnsie... when I checked about a week ago NW had pulled DEN from the schedule at IND.

toltommy

Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting N742AT (Reply 2):
Every time I would look at the loads for IND the FLL route was one of the highest for the day.

Loads don't matter to the revenue people. It'a all about the yield. They can get a better return on investment by putting that plane elsewhere for the summer.

luv2fly

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 17):
Loads don't matter to the revenue people. It'a all about the yield. They can get a better return on investment by putting that plane elsewhere for the summer.

I have to agree, most likely going to be used for the newly announced SEA service.

Indy
Topic Author

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:11 pm

The service to FLL was a 717. Its unlikely that it would be put on SEA. Now it is possible the 737 going on IND-LAX might be a jet that is being replaced with the 717 being pulled from the IND-FLL route. Someone may be getting a downgrade from a 737 to 717.

vulindlela744

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:04 pm

First off, FL has NEVER served IND-SEA or IND-DEN. Our new nonstops from ATL will be our first time EVER serving Seattle. Get your info. right

MAH4546

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:23 pm

Quoting Vulindlela744 (Reply 20):
First off, FL has NEVER served IND-SEA or IND-DEN. Our new nonstops from ATL will be our first time EVER serving Seattle. Get your info. right

Before blasting people, why don't you get your info right. They were clearly referring to Northwest, not airTran.
a.

ejmmsu

Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:29 pm

Quoting Vulindlela744 (Reply 20):
Get your info. right

If you would have taken the time to read and understand their posts, you would have come to realize, with average normal intelegence and a basic knowledge of the airline industry, that the DEN and SEA flights from IND they refer to are on NW. The plane reallocation discussion concerning FL is for the new IND-LAX/SFO, and the 737 that will be required for the SEA route from ATL.

Before butting your way into a perfectly informative and well thought out thread about a real aviation issue by people who have everyday interest in these routes, I would challenge YOU to "get your info right", before accusing others of misinformation.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

N742AT

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 19):
The service to FLL was a 717. Its unlikely that it would be put on SEA. Now it is possible the 737 going on IND-LAX might be a jet that is being replaced with the 717 being pulled from the IND-FLL route. Someone may be getting a downgrade from a 737 to 717.

Yeah this could never happen a 717 couldnt make it all the way to LAX from IND without a fuel stop somewhere, not with 117 people on brd. So if they do downgrade the flight to a 717 it will do a fuel stop in DEN or MCI.

Indy
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:08 am

This really blows that they have pulled this flight from the schedule. We are looking to fly to FLL in September. Actually getting 5 biz class tickets. Would be nice to do nonstop instead of having to fly through Atlanta. That place is a nightmare.

stlgph

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:14 pm

Quoting Indy (Reply 14):
Edit:
This could very well be a seasonal thing with FLL. It seems to be going away after the busy spring travel season. Maybe it comes back in the fall. Unfortunately I can't see far enough in advance on airtran.com to check.

Yes Indianapolis *DOES* love Florida, but they love Fort Myers more than Fort Lauderdale. Most of the traffic in the summer time will be cruise traffic, so rather than mess with doing four days a week, just funnel them through Atlanta as necessary to make a quick connection down to Fort Lauderdale. Better logistics, in my opinion.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Indy
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Quoting STLGph (Reply 25):
Yes Indianapolis *DOES* love Florida, but they love Fort Myers more than Fort Lauderdale. Most of the traffic in the summer time will be cruise traffic, so rather than mess with doing four days a week, just funnel them through Atlanta as necessary to make a quick connection down to Fort Lauderdale. Better logistics, in my opinion.

LOL. A cruise is exactly the reason we would be flying to FLL. I am a big fan of nonstop service. This may very well result in me taking NW over FL for this trip. It may mean a higher bill but I'd rather avoid Atlanta if at all possible. I do like both airlines. FL had an edge before they took away the nonstop service because they do have the XM radio and their pricing allowed a little more flexability with our scheduling. But why risk a nearly certain delay in ATL plus the wait between flights when it isn't necessary? There is still a few months left before I buy my plane tickets so I'm going to hope that NW gets the issues resolved with the FA's and Pilots.

stlgph

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 am

well, if you enjoy flying and air travel, then why not make the extra stop? then you can check out the bemoth known as the Atlanta airport and observe some of Air Tran's operations there?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

United_fan

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:23 am

FL's n/s ROC-FLL is also seasonal.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Indy
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:09 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 27):
well, if you enjoy flying and air travel, then why not make the extra stop? then you can check out the bemoth known as the Atlanta airport and observe some of Air Tran's operations there?

I've been to ATL plenty of times. Its just not worth flying to. If I were wanting to kill some time I'd check out MEM or CLT. But when I actually have to get somewhere I want it to be a direct route.

Indy
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:59 pm

I just noticed that IND-SRQ stops in May as well. May 8th being the last day for service. Is this a seasonal route or is this route ending?

FlyGuyClt

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:57 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 12):
NW flies it A relic from the IND focus city

Call it a relic. But it is still flying the route !  Smile

When all this is done at NWA. When the new contracts are in place. When the playing field is level with costs structures. Watch out. It is going to get very interesting.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

burnsie28

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:18 am

Quoting N742AT (Reply 2):
Every time I would look at the loads for IND the FLL route was one of the highest for the day. This is truly odd that we are pulling this route, especially since we are trying to build IND into a secondary hub. I guess that's just the way things play out in the airline business

Maybe NW is just kicking the crap out of Air Tran, i mean, NW did have a lot more traffic then Air Tran did (almost double) and they had the same routes and such.

PHLBOS

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:52 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 29):
But when I actually have to get somewhere I want it to be a direct route.

I believe you meant to say non-stop route.  

Quoting STLGph (Reply 25):
Most of the traffic in the summer time will be cruise traffic... just funnel them through Atlanta as necessary to make a quick connection down to Fort Lauderdale. Better logistics, in my opinion.

Have you actually flown to a destination in order to catch a cruise? Unless someone is flying from a small, remote airport out in Timbucktoo somewhere; the absolute last thing one wants to do is to make a needless plane connection ON TOP OF MAKING a cruise connection; it just creates another possibility of either one's luggage not getting on the connecting flight or worse, arriving at the cruise destination AFTER the cruise ship departs its port due to a flight/airport delay. Do keep in mind that not everyone has the time (nor the extra finances) to fly in the night before, stay at a motel and get a taxi/shuttle to the cruise port.

I flew out to FLL from PHL for a cruise last year (and will be doing so again later this month). For last year's cruise, the group I went with chose a FL non-stop PHL-FLL-PHL itinerary; this year, we opted w/US because FL's first non-stop PHL-FLL flight now has an 11:55 AM departure time as opposed to a roughly 7:30 AM departure time for last year's flight; a bit too late in order to board the ship. While WN also offered an early departure time for its non-stop PHL-FLL, the return non-stop flight had a much later departure time.

I am a bit surprised that FL would drop a FLL non-stop route; usually FLL & MCO are the first 2 n/s destinations a FL city gets after its initial ATL route.

[Edited 2006-03-02 18:01:59]
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

Indy
Topic Author

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting PHLBOS (Reply 33):
I believe you meant to say non-stop route.

To me direct is non-stop though I know in the aviation world they are two different To me a direct route from IND-LAX isn't via PHX  Smile. But I understand there is a difference. So yes.. non-stop.

I am so with you on the cruise issue. We are going on one in September and will be going a day early just to avoid any problems with delayed flights and missed cruise connections. Especially now with FL dropping the route. We make take NW since they have the nonstop service but don't know yet if its safe to purchase a ticket with them.