ChiGB1973
Topic Author

NW Refuses Gay Couple's Award Tickets

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:58 am

luv2fly

RE: NW Refuses Gay Couple's Award Tickets

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:01 am

From the article.

Rob Anders, a longtime airline industry employee, won the tickets at a holiday party in December. When he tried to redeem the tickets for a trip with his registered domestic partner, the airline refused, saying it would only recognize a spouse, another airline employee or a dependent child as a suitable "companion" for the award ticket.

It looks like NW gave away the tickets at a function, so they are in there rights to set the rules, though being a Gay man I do not agree per say.
You can cut the irony with a knife

zvezda

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:03 am

It's a stupid policy, but NW have the right to be stupid.

heisan67

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:07 am

What? This sounds very strange.

Aren't registrered partner, regardless of sex, considered equal as spouse in USA?
Well I guess I know the answer now.

Wouldn't even thought of this happening in Norway/Sweden/Denmark.

zvezda

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting Heisan67 (Reply 3):
Aren't registrered partner, regardless of sex, considered equal as spouse in USA?

It varies by state according to state law. The federal constitution just requires that every state recognize the marriages of every other state.

SWISSER

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:17 am

I' am not gay, but that is unacceptable!
This is pure discrimination.
What time is top of descent?

GQfluffy

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:26 am

Interesting. I almost find this funny, as my uncle (who is a purser on NW flights to Japan out of DTW) and his partner n/r on NW all the time...

[Edited 2006-02-13 00:26:53]
This isn't where I parked my car...

BNinMSY

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:40 am

Truly disgusting, this day in age, where does Northwest have it's head buried?

GVWOW

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 5):
I' am not gay, but that is unacceptable!

Exactly. The utmost and purest discrimination. There is absolutely no reason he shouldn't have got the ticket, besides that he somehow didn't fall into their obviously flawed policy. Even though he technically wasn't recognized by the policy, the policy itself violated the law.

B752OS

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:48 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 6):
Interesting. I almost find this funny, as my uncle (who is a purser on NW flights to Japan out of DTW) and his partner n/r on NW all the time...

I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is a purser?

I think NW are idiots for this.

tymnbalewne

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting B752OS (Reply 9):
I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is a purser?

Depending on the airline, a purser can either be the lead or head flight attendant for the entire aircraft, or the head flight attendant for a particular cabin or class of service.

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

eatmybologna

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:53 am

They're flaming, er, burning their bridges.

e-m-b
Isn't knowledge more than just the acquisition of information? Shouldn't the acquired information be correct?

satx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:57 am

What exactly is interesting, surprising, or funny about an employee being able to bend the rules that a potential customer cannot. Unless I'm missing something here?
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

N501US

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:01 am

Sonething isn't right with this story. I am guessing NW healthcare etc for employees has provisions for domestic partners etc. I'd like to know the rest of the story.
Fools and thieves are well disguised in the temple and the marketplace.....

nwab787techops

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:21 am

I don't know this program of the award ticket MR. Anders got, but it's Tax free travel laws that doesn't let a registered domestic partner fly the same as a spouse. It's not NWA agent gay rights. This is true for NWA employees who aren't guys and do not have a spouse. But, let look at it guys Mr. Anders domestic partner can fly just the same, he/she just pays $10 plus tax. So it's the TAX Laws you need to fighting be not NWA or any other airlines.

Anyways there is no law saying airlines have to give free flight to anyone....

redngold

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:25 am

This just seems wrong. I know of friends who use companion tickets. They aren't dating each other, they aren't related in any way. Then again, they may not have flown on Northwest.
Up, up and away!

airlinelover

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:30 am

No

It's not, they are following their policy. It's outdated, and will probably be changed eventually, but right now it's policy.

Policy for a NW Employee is a bit different. They are allowed to choose anyone for their main travel partner on their benefits.

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

777236ER

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:48 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 19):

It's not, they are following their policy. It's outdated, and will probably be changed eventually, but right now it's policy.

Whether it's policy or not, it's clear discrimination.
Your bone's got a little machine

We're Nuts

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:04 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 21):

America: Where discrimination is as clear as mud.
Dear moderators: No.

BNinMSY

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:07 am

America ain't the country we thought it was ... it's changed. Land of the free. . . ?

schipholjfk

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 1):
It looks like NW gave away the tickets at a function, so they are in there rights to set the rules, though being a Gay man I do not agree per say.

NWA gave away two tickets right? So why do they care who the guy takes. Looks like a bankrupt ariline is simply trying to squirm their way out of giving the two tickets away for free! If you have so many hang ups, then simply don't give tickets away.
The fun of flying... love it !!!

D L X

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 21):

So is saying "you can't take your girfriend" or "you can't take your roommate." Neither is illegal.

(That's not saying I agree with it - I don't. But legally, I doubt there is anything that can be done. However, involving the ACLU is a pretty good negotiation tactic.

AirRyan

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 4):
It varies by state according to state law.

Where NW is headwquarted in Minnesota, you don't get much further to the left of political stature than where they are now, but without nescessarily condoning the sexual preference of the individual it is still nevertheless incredibly stupid with all the stuff on NW's plate to even begin to allow this to transpire. This should have been handled at the immediate lowest level and never raised an eyebrow - some people while they may be book-smart are just morons when it comes to common sense.

jaysit

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:51 am

NW is a trashy airline. Rubbish service, ugly and rude FAs, and the only first world carrier still flying decrepit DC-10s on international routes. And discriminatory to boot. I actually gave away all my NW frequent flyer miles to a friend. I wouldn't even fly them for free.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

AA737-823

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:10 am

Well look who's prejudiced after all.

You guys are taking his side BECAUSE he is gay.

as a follow up to D L X, I have to ask...

No, I have to TELL you. None of you guys would be this upset if it were his fraternity buddy from college. You'd say, "Well, the law says they're not married... (hey, frat buddies are close, but not THAT close) so too bad."

Well, in this instance, the guy isn't eligible for travel.

It has nothing to do with Northwest Airlines. They clearly don't have anything against gay people, just look at the guy who said his uncle is gay and a purser on int'l flights.

It has nothing to do with the law, either. Call it outdated, call it unfair, call it Yolanda, IT'S THE LAW. If you don't like it, well, try to change it!

THAT IS WHAT MAKES THIS COUNTRY GREAT, FOLKS!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THINGS THE WAY THEY ARE, YOU HAVE THE FREEDOM TO TRY TO CHANGE THEM!!!!!

And here you are talking about how stupid America is, just because some guy isn't getting to take his lover on a trip.
You guys are nuts.

You are free to try to change laws you don't like, and I am free to try and stop you, or support you. And the beautiful thing is that, when everything works properly, the majority get what they want.
Until you have some weirdo interest group step up and stick up for the people that have glass eyeballs and are discriminated against.
I swear, the ACLU will defend anybody on any side of any argument. But that's not my point.

My point is, if you don't like America, then CHANGE it for the better, or shut your freaking yaps.

Alitalia744

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:25 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 28):
My point is, if you don't like America, then CHANGE it for the better, or shut your freaking yaps.

We try to change it but then there are close minded folks like yourself telling us to shut up.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

ATAIndy

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 18):
Your username fits.

Well you're certainly not being sterotypical  Yeah sure.

Anyway, rules are rules, and I think NW is acting good on their part.
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

SWISSER

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:28 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 19):

I' am not sure in the US, but in Belgium ANY company will get there *sses screwed when they do such a thing based on our discrimination law.
http://www.antiracisme.be/en/kader_eng.htm

But then again, gay people can get married in Belgium too, we have an entire legal system backing them up equally the same as me, a non gay.

In fact what's the difference between me and a gay besides the sexlife?
(and in fact I have already used backdoors too with girlfriends)

and sorry for the brutal talk, but this is just the way it is.

Blackhawk144

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:33 am

THIS COUNTRY GREAT, FOLKS!!

Hahahaha, yeah right. (That's totally my opinion)

And here you are talking about how stupid America is, just because some guy isn't getting to take his lover on a trip.
You guys are nuts.

Just because 2 out of 28 replies talked negatively about America doesn't mean all of us are. I mean geez, chill out.

That's VERY hypocritical of you! Here you type out this long message about freedoms, and then at the end you tell us to like it or shut up. Guess what, I got news for you: I don't have to shut up! I could write a 1000 word essay on how much I think America sucks, but I'd have every right to do so. These people on here (a.net) paid to post, and every one of the members at a.net have/had a chance to display their freedoms of speech. Don't tell us to shut up.

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

goCOgo

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:34 am

Quoting Nwab787techops (Reply 16):
Anyways there is no law saying airlines have to give free flight to anyone....

Exactly, it's not like he paid and denied boarding. That would be discrimination.

No, I have to TELL you. None of you guys would be this upset if it were his fraternity buddy from college. You'd say, "Well, the law says they're not married... (hey, frat buddies are close, but not THAT close) so too bad."

Exactly. Political correctness is out of control. They likely would have said the same thing about a live-in girlfriend (which, by they way, are in may areas also eligible for domestic partner registration, so saying "but they're registered" is moot). Saying the policy should be anyone he wants is one thing. Singling out one minority and saying that they and they alone should be exempt from policy is discriminatory in itself.

Now I'm getting out of this thread before  flamed 
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

tymnbalewne

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:36 am

I hate to tell you but I believe most airlines will not recognize a same-sex relationship of employees of other airlines. The few that do generally do so on a reciprocal basis. Assuming that NW recognizes their own employees' same-sex relationships then I do not see this as discriminatory.

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

SFOMEX

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:38 am

If I got it right, any single person (gay or straight) couldn't be able to redeem the tickets. It's clearly an outdated policy.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

SWISSER

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:41 am

Quoting GoCOgo (Reply 35):
"Well, the law says they're not married... (hey, frat buddies are close, but not THAT close) so too bad."

In fact that is a completely different thing,
if NW states you must be married to have rights to get companian tickets, then unfortunatly even a non gay girl or boyfriend is denied boarding.

I agree with that rule 2 if it's basically written like that.
So get you're *ss up here then and get married!

My stephmother works for UA and things changed massively when she married my father (based on companion tickets! not the marriage!).

[Edited 2006-02-13 03:44:42]

ltbewr

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:46 am

Yes, it may have to do with Federal and some state Income or Gift tax laws, but in a number of states like California, Vermont, Massachusetts, New York, other states or some municipalities, NW may be in violation of anti-discrimination laws as to public accommodation and employee benefits. While I understand he need to try to prevent abuse of paired ticket programs (including FF plans or employment connected programs), not recognizing 'registered domestic partners' shows ignorance, prejudice and a lot of bad press to the GLBT community in particular as well as the beliefs of many companies and people in general. NW, keep your nose out of the bedroom!

goCOgo

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 38):
if NW states you must be married to have rights to get companian tickets, then unfortunatly even a non gay girl or boyfriend is denied boarding.

That's my point. If you discriminate equally, than, by definition, not discriminatory. They were just as not married as a straight couple who live together and aren't married, so they get denied tickets. (Just like that old joke: I don;t discriminate, I hate all races equally) Now of course, gays can't get married in much of the US (and indeed, such a thing is unconstitutional in my state) but NW does not have control of that particular social policy, so that is not their fault.

By the way, that quote was from AA737-823, not me.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

United737522

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:51 am

Not that I completely agree, but the rules state that only another employee, spouse or dependant child are eligible. He won it, it is not like it is an award ticket as some have called it here. If it were an award ticket, NW would have no problem honoring it. Also, he said he was going to FL to visit his 89 year old grandmother, sounds like a good time for your partner.  sarcastic 
'Michael Mooronism' ~Jetjack74

yowza

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:00 pm

In Canada many contests are not open to residents of Quebec, this is because the laws in that province are different and because many companies have a different distributor for that province. Leaving Quebec out is not an attack on French Canadians.

NW's contest, NW's rules. Get over it.  Yeah sure

YOWza

rolfen

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:12 pm

Is "registered domestic partner" the gay equivalent of "spouse'?
If not then I dont see this as discrimination, had the guy been heterosexual and had he tried to bring his fiancee along it also would have been refused.
rolf

SWISSER

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Quoting GoCOgo (Reply 41):
That's my point. If you discriminate equally, than, by definition, not discriminatory. They were just as not married as a straight couple who live together and aren't married, so they get denied tickets. (Just like that old joke: I don;t discriminate, I hate all races equally) Now of course, gays can't get married in much of the US (and indeed, such a thing is unconstitutional in my state) but NW does not have control of that particular social policy, so that is not their fault.

agreed 100%, there is a huge differnce between stating you must be married or plain NO GAYS, even with a nice wordtalk!

Boeing727flyer

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:33 pm

More typical Northwest crap. That airline really is a joke.
Hail the mighty Boeing 727

N1120A

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:34 pm

No, unfortunately. Only in Massachusetts and Vermont.

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 4):
The federal constitution just requires that every state recognize the marriages of every other state.

Actually, the Constitution requires that states recognize same sex marriages, but that is a different story.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

APFPilot1985

Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:05 pm

Quoting Blackhawk144 (Reply 34):
That's VERY hypocritical of you! Here you type out this long message about freedoms, and then at the end you tell us to like it or shut up

Did you read what you quoted? He said CHANGE IT or shut up, he didn't say like it or shut up.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

db373

Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:58 pm

Wait a minute here. In order to change something for the better, don't we have to open our yaps to begin with? Or do you want us all to master talking out of our asses, like you've demonstrated a talent for with your post?
Keep Delta My Delta

SFOerik

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:16 pm

NWA is so dumb here. It costs them nothing more and nothing less to send the second person - regardless of who it is!

This is where big companies get so stupid.
I will no longer stress about upgrades!

APFPilot1985

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting Db373 (Reply 52):
In order to change something for the better, don't we have to open our yaps to begin with?

hence why he said

change OR shut your yaps.

jpyvr

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:36 pm

A couple of years ago, I had to fly from Vancouver to Michigan for my mother's funeral. I, naturally, wanted to bring my partner, as he also had a long and loving relationship with my mother. I checked with most possible airlines on that route, or nearby routes, (AC, CP, UA, AA and NW) to be exact. The ONLY airline that refused to offer my partner a "compassionate" ticket was NW. All the others were willing to make a booking for him as a matter of course considering the situation.

I haven't flown NW since.

Ilovenz

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:49 pm

I must say, Northwest is once again pursuing a pig@ss policy here, but it has to do more with Northwest's cut-corners approach to laws. Generally in America, marriage is marriage, domestic partners are domestic partners, and a marriage is not a domestic partnership. That's what the thinking is ~ I don't agree with it, but that's what it is, even in MN.

In response to the talk about freedom, I will say that as a liberal, I have started to see a lot of paranoia on the part of my fellow liberals about freedom being protected. While much of the concern is very necessary and very healthy, I'd say we're starting to blow things outta proportion, just from looking at some of the comments above.

Every time I see a member from Zimbabwe or the Middle East or the PRC or even North Korea (which I've seen from time to time), I wonder how much they must envy the ability to say something like "Robert Mugabe sucks" or "Kim Jong-Il looks like a fat girl with a bad haircut". Ya know?

RiddlePilot215

Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:15 pm

I really don't see what all the fuss is about. The rules say that you have to be married in order to reap the benefits of the tickets, and last time I checked the definition of marriage is still between a man and a woman, and hasn't been amended to a union between two people of the same sex.

Northwest isn't owned by the governement, so however they deem appropriate to conduct business, is their perogative, and their perogative ONLY. I could understand you guys getting in a fizzle about this if this gentleman had PAID for his ticket, and was denied boarding on the basis of his sexual preference, but alas it was a giveaway/ sweepstakes, and he just didn't qualify to redeem his prize.

Yes it seems a bit wrong that he was denied, and just so happens to be gay as well, but que sera sera......
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

Blackhawk144

Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 51):
Did you read what you quoted? He said CHANGE IT or shut up, he didn't say like it or shut up.

But do you think that anyone, after reading what he said would really go out of their way to change it? I mean, I don't know of any post or reply on a.net that has had that effect on people. There was no point to it, so I basically read it as like it or shut up.

Anthony
Time is the best of all teachers. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students!

APFPilot1985

Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Quoting Blackhawk144 (Reply 68):
But do you think that anyone, after reading what he said would really go out of their way to change it? I mean, I don't know of any post or reply on a.net that has had that effect on people. There was no point to it, so I basically read it as like it or shut up.

Anthony

bull, there was a point to it, you took what he said and molded it into something that you could use to attack him, who cares is someone would change it or not, you attacked him on something he didnt even say.