FATFlyer
Topic Author

FAT On Track For MX Flight Start On April 1

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:04 pm

Fresno is on schedule to complete its FIS in time for Mexicana's April 1 start. The FIS is scheduled for completion by March 15. That allows time for the Federal Govt to set up and test its equipment. International arrivals will be through the new FIS building.

The building is being constructed from modular components which began arriving today. They will arrive every day for the next week or two and then be placed on the foundation.

My guess is that FAT is using a modular building because there are currently plans to replace the existing ground level section of the concourse in a few years. A FIS could then be located in the concourse.

Interestingly the modular components are being produced in Bakersfield and trucked to Fresno. BFL's MX flights will now not start until late summer or fall because of delays in completing the expansion and remodel of the old BFL terminal into a FIS building.

Mexicana passengers at Fresno will check in at a counter in the main terminal. Formerly, FAT's ticket counters were arranged in a "L" shape with the short leg having been unused for years. A recent remodel realigned all ticket counters in a straight line providing MX with a brand new counter area.

Flights will depart from a gate in the current concourse.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

LatinPlane

RE: FAT On Track For MX Flight Start On April 1

Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:07 pm

Hip hip hooray!

Finally, after all this time!

Any insiders with Mexicana know if they plan to open up a city ticket office in Fresno?

So exactly how will they make sure that they don't get any pest on board the aircraft FATflyer? I've been wondering all along how they can actually do this...I mean, what if let's say a Mediterranean fruit fly were to fly into the cargo hold while they are loading the luggage. Isn't this what the whole fuss is about? Do they even have these in Mexico?

And really, while it could be a problem, why isn't it a problem with the hundreds of flights that come into California's airports every week from some very remote and tropical destinations.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

CV990

Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi!

It's gonna be awesome to see MX at FAT finnally!!! Looking forward to see those planes when I return there in July!
Thanks FATFlyer for your update!
Regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Aren't the MX flights slated to be night flights with A318's?

navega

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:56 am

Latin Plane,

Ever been to Fresno Airport??? So many tiny, small and regular flys around the airport that you cannot walk outside without them getting in your ears,
eyes and even mouth.

How can they anyone really tell how a Fruit Fly got into the area.

I am certain that Mexicana, as all other airlines do, has a good insect control
procedure or else how could they be flying to other airports in the region like
Sacramento, San Francisco Oakland for that matter.

Good luck to them in Fresno. Good airline and good airport make a great
business pair.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 1):
So exactly how will they make sure that they don't get any pest on board the aircraft FATflyer? I've been wondering all along how they can actually do this...I mean, what if let's say a Mediterranean fruit fly were to fly into the cargo hold while they are loading the luggage. Isn't this what the whole fuss is about? Do they even have these in Mexico?

Quoting Navega (Reply 4):
How can they anyone really tell how a Fruit Fly got into the area.

The problem for Fresno is that fruit flies like the Medfly eat citrus and soft fruits like figs and peaches and plums and don't forget grapes. They are very different than other flies. Over 260 different fruits and vegetables appeal to the Medfly, over 50 to the Mexican Fruit Fly. Fresno County produces over 250 different crops so there is quite a bit of concern across the board.

I understand that typically the problem is not with adult flies in the hold but with larva being carried in fresh fruit.

Once there is an outbreak in an area, a quarantine is placed on shipment of fruit out of an area of a few miles to 500 sq miles (depends on the infestation size) by not only the US but other nation's governments. Since the Fresno area is the US's largest exporter of agricultural products a quarantine would have serious repercussions.

Yes they have had outbreaks in Mexico of Medflies, there is also the Mexican Fruit Fly. There was a medfly outbreak and fruit quarantine in Tijuana in 2004 and another near the Guatemala border a few years back.

MX has agreed to post signs and make announcements telling pax not to carry fruit to Fresno. Once the flight arrives USDA trained dogs will sniff all luggage and cargo for fruit. Any fruit found will immediately be destroyed in either an incinerator or an autoclave, I'm not sure about the final procedure selected.

I also heard that MX had made some kind of agreement that if an infestation occurred and it was traced to Mexico (DNA?) then flights to FAT would stop. But I haven't confirmed that agreement.

Quoting Latinplane (Reply 1):
And really, while it could be a problem, why isn't it a problem with the hundreds of flights that come into California's airports every week from some very remote and tropical destinations.

The real problem is when people carry fruit from that area home to eat or as a gift for someone and it contains larva (worms). People tend to just throw it out allowing the larva to live, grow and breed.

Currently tropical flights only land in California's major urban areas. So the fruit flies only find a few sources of food growing on people's backyard trees.

BUT in 2005 there were still discoveries of various fruit flies in the cities. There were medfly and mexfly fruit fly discoveries leading to quarantines with treatment in Pomona and Fontana near ONT, in the SJC area, and in Alameda County. Other finds were in San Diego County, LA County and in Orange County. All near airports but fortunately in urban areas which limited the available host fruits.

So that is why the concerns locally.

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 3):
Aren't the MX flights slated to be night flights with A318's?

Yes, arrival at 12:35PM depart at 1:35AM planned for the A318.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:11 pm

QXatFAT

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:30 pm

I can not wait! I will be at a ticketing counter right next to MX! I have been waiting for this. This airline I believe with thrive here at FAT. So many people will be flying to Mexico via FAT now. They picked the right spot for this. I would imagin they would try to have some sort of bigger aircraft such as A319 or so try to come in here besides a smaller aircraft. I remember in High School so many students driving to OAK to fly out with their familys back to Mexico. I believe this is a GREAT move and will turn out to be great! Thanks for the post FATflyer. Maybe Ill catch ya at QX sometime?
Don't Tread On Me!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:31 pm

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 7):
Thanks for the post FATflyer. Maybe Ill catch ya at QX sometime?

Maybe but less likely than it used to be. I gave up my road warrior status a few years ago, I figured having spent something like 14 years of my life in airplaces and hotels was enough.

But we still look for some ways to travel and who knows someone may offer a consulting gig sometime that I can't refuse. So maybe one of these days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos