CX747
Topic Author

All Members Please Read This Very Important!

Fri Jun 02, 2000 4:44 am

Thank you for taking the time out of your forum reading to read this post. It will be short and sweet. The amount of truthful and fact based posts in this forum has rapidly been decreasing. Certain forum members posts are never ON TOPIC and throw off the entire post as others now have to deal with the nonsense and garbage they have posted. WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE INTERNET AVIATION COMMUNITY. Other aviation related forums laugh about the nonsense and blatant mistatements of fact and fiction. I myself chuckle when I read the blurb about our forum which is "known for its high quality". Low quality is more like it. Fellow members lets turn this site around. Politics have got to be thrown out and no more ridiculous postings. Johan is it possible to weed out those that only cause trouble or post ridiculous readings?

Sincerely,
CX747
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

RE: All Members Please Read This Very Important!

Fri Jun 02, 2000 4:56 am

I agree ! But...

The following is what you said in one other thread :

" Boeing has stated that it currently does not see the need for an ALL NEW
SUPERJUMBO. THE MARKET IS NOT BIG ENOUGH TO SUPPORT AN ALL NEW DESIGN."

So the first sentence is correct, the second is milseading because it is only Boeing's opinion (or yours and others) which eventually may be proven true...or not at all...

So you are in some sort misleading people or constructing vague or partial information by putting this statement together...

E.

CX747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:01 am

No, my post was stating what Boeing's philosophy was on the Super Jumbo. They do not feel that the market warrants an entirely new Super Jumbo. The comments that are in caps lock are Boeing's views and have been stated time and time again in various news outlets.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

gaut

CX747

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:06 am

You are out of subject  
«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

CX747
Topic Author

RE: CX747

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:17 am

Thank you Gaut for proving my point. You summed up exactly why posts like the one you just posted on this subject are a waste of time to this forum and its members.

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:19 am

CX747, considering the consolidated ownership of major US news media outlets into the hands of six large corporations, how can you discern what they are feeding you to be as absolute truth?

gaut

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:25 am

It was ironic CX747. Have you ever change your mind about something you seems to have a closed mind and a lot of violence inside you.
Please let us in our discussions or leave the forum.
I can assure it's not what I want because I thing it's very interesting to share idea with other poeple even if they don't have the same as mine.

Regards

Gaut
«Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae.»

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:26 am

I disagree with you. The point of a discussion is to discuss, speculate, observe, comment, and learn. If speculation about a NW/AA merger discussed, how could it be fact based when none of us have inside information. We can only speculate and weigh the pros and cons of such an event. Does that mean it is garbage?

The longer threads do tend to get off topic, but with many points raised, it is understandable.

Also, when people disagree with other forum members, they can be rather harsh in their comments. I don't like that because everybody has a common interest and some will know more about things than others, so don't degrate them for their lack of knowledge.

The bottom line is the other aviation forums I have seen don't even compare to the scope and contrast of Airliners.net. There are different forums for your choosing. If you don't like our topics in the General Aviation, go to Tech/Ops. Johan and crew are to be commended for providing us this invaluable resource.

sndp

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:29 am

CX747,
It totally agree with you that this forum should be of the highest possible quality. But as you seem to know more about how such a forum should be, and even more, how it shouldn't be, you can maybe give a few examples of topics you consider worth to be here and others who are not. Of course, you will have to take into account that not all of us will agree as you will give your personal opinion, but I want to hear it. Please, do not understand this as I'm laughing whit your first statement, not at all. I just want to know whether my posts are found stupid or not and what we should do to make this a better forum. But even if we know, of course, this forum is full of people who have the right to give their opinions in correspondance to the rules set out by the administrator. So, maybe these rules should be stricter or otherwise you will have to live with a site which is as good as its members want it.
But again, I want as well as you do a site of the highest possible quality and I am prepared to listen to your arguments to make it better but please give them.
kind regards
sndp

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:31 am

I admit in exasperation I’ve snapped back a few, I do apologize for offending anyone.

Ilyushin96M

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:33 am

I agree with CX747 wholeheartedly. I have unfortunately been finding more and more in the way of childish posts on this Forum, to the extent that I have considered giving it up. Quality posts which are well-written and get thoughtful responses are becoming more and more sporadic.

Unfortunately, it is probably more due to human nature than anything else that members take sides, make each other wrong and get into heated and inappropriate arguments.

It is a shame postings like this one have to be made, but unfortunately it is necessary to bring attention to areas where it is needed. Thanks, CX747!

IL96M

mirage

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:35 am

I think you're just angry because some members doesn't agree with you on the A3XX discussion. Sorry the world is made of different opinions.

You Know This Will Be Deleted Eventually.

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:36 am

"ridiculous postings" SUCH AS THIS, though you do have right to your opinion.

"WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE INTERNET AVIATION COMMUNITY." WHAT ????? DO WE CARE? I don't.

plus this is not aviation related and I agree with Texairport other aviation forums do not compare to Airliners.net.

I disagree with you CX747 totally.

Texairport...you are right and I must agree with you.

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:38 am

>I disagree with you. The point of a discussion is to discuss, speculate,observe, > comment, and learn.

I agree with you, but in the same time I agree with CXA3XX.. no...CX747...

If you have a background strong enough to elaborate on subject for which we don't know all about yet, then perfect it can lead to fructuous discussions, but sometimes people assume stories/facts for granted while they are not, or sometimes people just jump on their email just to throw a quick and easy mail with no real substance in it..or unverified information that eventually may be preceived as being the truth....

So facts, only the facts (or at least indicating sources of information)...Sometimes, it does not hurt...

E.

Fri Jun 02, 2000 5:40 am

As stated before, there are plenty of topics for anybody free to give his/her comment if wanted. And obviously stupid posts usually turn into ignorrance by the members.

CX747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 02, 2000 8:21 am

I thank you all for taking time to respond to my original post. All I would like to see is a return of the facts. Debating an issue or talking about a rumor are fine, I love it!! But when the real issues are muddied by irrelevant posts or posts that are truly unintelligable. As to the statement that there are plenty of topics to choose from and if you don't like it find another. That is ridiculous. Not being interested is one thing. Thats fine. But having to read posts that are ridiculous are just that, ridiculous. Hopefully other forum members will respond with their ideas or questions.

Fri Jun 02, 2000 8:39 am

CX747. Honey, you try to make this world , including that forum , a better world ? So just calm down a little and don´t be such a Schleimer.

Sebastian

Fri Jun 02, 2000 8:48 am

RE:CX747
"WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE INTERNET AVIATION COMMUNITY. Other aviation related forums laugh about the nonsense and blatant mistatements of fact and fiction."

I've yet to come across another internet aviation community that has forums......what are they and are they even at the same caliber as airliner.net?

Fri Jun 02, 2000 8:49 am

The only reason why I read and post here is so I can laugh at all of the idiotic youth and the nonsense that they post everyday. This place is hilarious.

Delta772

Fri Jun 02, 2000 9:08 am

I totally agree with CX747. Yes, there are other aviation related discussion forums out there. And for the the most part they're not riddled with the jingoistic proclamations that are fast becoming the norm in here. It seems that many European members here have a chip on their shoulders when it comes to Americans. AND it seems that the American members respond in kind with arguments regarding WWII. Nationalistic fervor is natural I suppose. My Canadian friends often point out to me when my "America Rules!" mentality gets out of check. But I can honestly say that I haven't let that enter into any of my posts on here. We are, for the most part, discussing two large manufacturers, as well as many large corporate airlines. I don't think that hostility and animosity towards other members should enter into any post. And a little bit of introspection on the part of some of the members who have disparaged CX747 might help things along.

Fri Jun 02, 2000 9:17 am

...let's not take each other too seriously.

"...can't we all get along" Rodney King (L.A. 1993)...then again maybe not, makes it even more interesting!

AA-SAN

Fri Jun 02, 2000 12:11 pm

Yes... it would be great if we could throw out all those totally bogus statements that are made in the heat of argument or just to start an argument... but where do we stop? A lot of the time the line between BS and truth is very hard to see (especially when we are speculating). I think a better approach would be to stop getting all worked up at the people making these comments and to just prove them wrong in a civil way and move on. People keep posting untrue facts because they enjoy the disruption they make, and so if we just quickly slap them on the wrist and move on to the discussions that we all seek, it will eventually start to show. It was like that weird guy a few weeks ago that started posting all that garbage. A lot of the members here went crazy... doing exactly what that person wanted us to do. Yet if we had just ignored what he was doing, he would have been gone a lot quicker than he was. Sorry I blabbed on for so long, but just another prospective on making this into a better forum.

TAA_Airbus

How Many Engines Does

Fri Jun 02, 2000 1:04 pm

Is it 5 or 6 ? duh!

Geez, speek of hypcrits. Dont talk off the subject he says, but forgive me If Im wrong, but doesnt the subject have to be aviation related in the first place.

And If your blushing because a few aviation people are laughing at you................well, you are a soft c##k.
Who cares, if you dont like it here, go somewhere else, I dont see anyone else complaining, except for the people who witnessed SouthWestJG737s posting yesterday, but that has been delt with and is now history. So if you dont like it, you dont have to stay.

Cheers All
TAA_Airbus

Trvlr

Fri Jun 02, 2000 1:07 pm

I agree that this forum has degenerated somewhat since I have joined, but not so I would not want to come here. It is still the best one on the net and most of the 'lower quality' stuff is what makes it a little bit more interesting.

Aaron G.

velocityair

Fri Jun 02, 2000 1:16 pm

relevant to aviation or not ... i believe most things said in this forum are relevant to the topic at hand and other issues brought forth by the discussion. if at anytime you find that politics and nationalism and other "so-called non-aviation" factors are brought in... then please forget about a Flag Carrier for a certain nation ... or why AF can't buy 777s without first investing in the A3XX ... it is all political and nationalistic. Europes pet is Airbus ... they will always support it as a collective and as an aspiring region. they want to see their industry prosper as do Americans. so please ... when things get "too political" for you ... you are not really into the industry itself. you like to watch the pretty planes ... get into the industry into the business ... as it is ruled by people, their views and the governments ruling those people. go to "Captain Kangaroos Bi-Plane Fest" if you want to talk about pretty airplanes.
This forum is for the people who love airlines (ie the business and anything related to the decisions that a carrier may make.) and the pretty pictures   ... but it is both.

Johan ... this is all relevant to establishing this forum!! don't delete this as it is not crap.  

Samurai 777

Fri Jun 02, 2000 1:57 pm

I'd agree more with Texairport's posting than CX747 in most respects, especially where the politics and quality is concerned. Politics can't be separated neatly - it's far too inextricable to be totally banned from here. It plays a large role in arline industries worldwide, larger than most people think. As for quality, there's bound to be crappy or even downright sick and awful postings like the AA crash hoax or people who think it's some kind of singles forum or whatever. This will still happen once in a while, even if Johan the administrator and his group keeps a strong vigil over this discussion forum. So, whenever you see crap appearing on this forum, that does not necessarily mean that this discussion forum is going to the dogs! Airliners.net is not a laughingstock! The Airliners.net forum is one of the best aviation-related forum I've ever seen. It's also one of the most civilized. True, nationalism will crop up, but that's to be expected, but still, this can't be allowed turn into a war. People do have different opinions and views of happens around them - and that must be respected, even if the person has some very strong disagreements about whatever is posted here. But those disagreements cannot be used to hurt others on this forum.

administrator

A Word From Your Administrator

Fri Jun 02, 2000 2:02 pm

Guys,

This has been going on from the very beginning. Everyone has always claimed that things were better when they first came here. That is not true, this has always been a great place  

When you're new every topic is fresh and interesting but after a while you'll notice that some are repeated over and over. That's just how a forum works. If you do not like a topic, ignore it and it will go away.

CX747,
I've added a new forum for topics like this one. Why did you not post it there??

We are the online aviation community and this discussion forum has a very high status among both professionals and amateurs. Sure we have our fair chare of childish quarrels and flamewars but there is not an open forum anywhere that does not have similar problems. If you want an open discussion you will have to accept that some people does not agree with you, does not think like you and that some are just plain idiots.

You do not have to like every topic, ignore those that you do not find interesting.

Some important things for all of you to consider:

Use relevant and describing topics.
This forum will not work if we all use topics like "Please Read", "Has Anyone Ever Seen A", "What Are My Chances Of" and so on. The topic of your message should describe as detailed as possible what your post is about. People should not have to open the message and read it to get an idea of what you're writing about. The topic is like a headline and should attract interest from people who find the issue discussed interesting and should save the time of reading your post for people with no interest.

Post in the correct forum.
Should be a simple thing to do but some does not seem to care. This thread and the and the "How About An Airliner.net Get Together?" is the kind of non-aviation issues I created the non-aviation forum for! I have absolutely nothing against any of these topics (I would welcome a get together!) but please post it where it's supposed to be. Yes, the other forums are pretty dead compared to this one but if no one posts there they will never come alive.

Notify me if a thread gets out of hand!
I cannot stress this enough. If you had only sent me a short e-mail about a topic about to turn into a flamewar instead of posting yet another lame reply, threads would very seldom have a change to turn really ugly. Don't lower yourself to the level of the fools that you'll find on any public forum. Just send me a e-mail with the name of the topic and I'll see to that it's deleted. If the person who posted it has been known to cause problems before, I'll ban him as well.

Thanks, that's all.

Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

Fri Jun 02, 2000 2:11 pm

I agree...Although I'm one of the guilty party tonight, I've apologized and called a truce, unfornately my post was taken down.
Samurai777
Did you find the Univ. of Bielefeld website regarding Computer-Related Incidents in Commercial Aircraft.

Samurai 777

CStarU And Administrator

Fri Jun 02, 2000 3:01 pm

Johan - thanks for taking the time to come in here. I totally agree with you!

CStarU - I did find the proper site about computer-related incidents in commercial aircraft. Thanks for asking. Click on the link right below the Body window in the Reply section about how to include links, pictures and smiles, and you will find out how to make a link to a different website. I know this is completely and utterly off-topic, but I wanted to give you a bit of advice.

RE: Samurai777

Fri Jun 02, 2000 3:11 pm

samurai777...roger, good day.

dnalor

RE: Cx747

Fri Jun 02, 2000 7:57 pm

CX747 said "The amount of truthful and fact based......."

Care to name the "other sites laughing at us"???

Rememver as Johan said, it is a PUBLIC formum and EVERYBODY is entitled to there point of view.

Many great discussions have been had IRL and on the net due to people digressing somewhat!

I wonder how much time is actually wasted quickly scrolling thru the replies that you find not to be relevent?

FrontierMan

Our Order Is In Reverse.

Fri Jun 02, 2000 10:10 pm

It's very simple. I have responded to numerous posts, and I used to just state opinions, but now I just state facts and opinions. I've noticed what a lot of people do is state their opinions before they state their facts. You'll have someone say in one post "Southwest's ontime performance rating stinks". Then you'll get someone who loves Southwest to come back and rip them apart. Then the person who responded first will say something like "One out of 6 Southwest flights are delayed". Then for some reason the person who did the tearing apart never responds back. It's very simple, without people who give opinions, this forum would be very, very BORING. Can you imagine a forum of just facts? Why there would be no one here As for CX747's comment, If he thinks there is no room for more superjumbos. Then he has every right to post his opinion. Especially if he can back it up with facts. My final point is, don't get rid of opinions they are what keep people coming back to this forum, including me.
Alex
(I don't believe my facts about Southwest were true in this post)

balloonatic

Fri Jun 02, 2000 10:29 pm

Cx747, you reckon this forum is a laughing stock? Try Airdisater.com! Cheers, Ex(real) CX747.

Udo

CX747, So When Do You Stop Posting?

Mon Jun 05, 2000 9:13 pm

Great idea from CX747!!!

So, CX747, when will you stop posting on that forum? That would help.
I couldn't say it better than Ab.400!!!

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

deltairlines

Tue Jun 06, 2000 4:00 am

Thank you Johan. I agree with you totally on this issue. I do think this is the best aviation website on the internet, and this forum is one of the greatest aviation resources. I also agree with the very general topic headings. First of all, I thought that the forum rules state that topics should not be very general. I think the example is don't just say "A3XX" but say "A3XX is ordered by Emirates". This gives the user an idea of what the topic is about and they are not left with barely any information. By reading this post, they might have lost time to read other posts and help others out. Here is the official example: Use a topic like "A3XX first flight next Sunday" instead of "A3XX", a topic like "Why did SR111 go down?" instead of "Why did this happen?" and so on. Also, support our other forums. In the aviation hobby forum, it seems like there are only about 25 people there.

Once again Johan, thank you for this great website.

Jeff

Tue Jun 06, 2000 1:18 pm

While this is only my second post, I have long been a reader of the posts here... I for one think this forum is a great resource!! The discussions are most always interesting in some form or the other... If you want clear facts...clear news...they have a section entitled "Aviation News." This being a forum...a perfect example of our 1st Amendment Rights that we here in the states enjoy...I would expect to see posts that speculate...raise issues that some of us haven't thought of, etc. I think that some of us just have too much pride to say "I just dont know what is going to happen" We would rather make it look like we are an insider and we know whats going on....

This forum I am sure is full of all sorts of people...aviation professionals...hobbyists...ordinary travlers who are just looking for a little information and insight into what this industry is all about. I, for one, am in now way connected to aviation other than my love for flying and the industry. I have never and probably never will work in the industry... I'm a journalism student at the University of Missouri and 20 years old... but I have loved flying since I was 5... I would have loved to have a forum such as this back then... I think that to make it sound as if all posts here need to be from people "knowledgeable" and "in the know" is, for lack of a better term, stupid. I enjoy very much the comments and speculations that we see here...but I do not enjoy the need that is sometimes felt to wave credentials in the air... Thats counterproductive and show-offish.

I encourage everyone to post their minds...their thoughts... Thats what this is all about!

All the best,
Coz1100

Tom in NO

Tue Jun 06, 2000 1:36 pm

OK, I'll bite.....if there are other airliner forums that are supposedly more mature than airliners.net....someone tell me where they are. Until then, I'll let the "immature" posts go "in one eye and out the other", and comment on the ones I feel compelled to comment on.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

trintocan

Tue Jun 06, 2000 2:20 pm

Yes, after reading the comments in this thread I feel compelled to respond. I discovered airliners.net from a link from aviation-safety.net which I first read after the Alaska Airlines accident. This forum is indeed very interesting and informative and has revived my own interest in aviation, which has in fact been a lifelong passion of mine.

As for immature postings and declining quality, all that I will say is this: Everybody is entitled to an opinion and should be free to express it. The key, though, is to be mature and balanced in presenting such opinions and to support your opinions with facts and experiences as relevant. Once we can all do that as mature, responsible adults, our forum will continue to flourish.

Long live airliners.net!

ps I think that, in particular, our Boeing versus Airbus threads become overly nauseating with backbiting and "bad vibes". There is no need for this. Just be cool and express yourself in a mature fashion.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos