yow

Virgin America - Will They Go International?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 am

Given that the only route Virgin America have announed to date is SFO-NYC, does anyone here know, or think, they will do international flying? Given their fleet will consist solely of Airbus narrowbodies, by international, I'm refering primarily to serving Canada and Mexico, along with the Carribean and Central America.

Any thoughts, comments, opinions?

NKMCO

RE: Virgin America - Will They Go International?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:58 am

Just to clarify, as far as I know, VA didn't announce any routes so far. SFO-NYC is the most probable, but not confirmed.

At the same time I am sure they are looking into all possible route options (not excluding international) to see where the greatest profit margin would be achieved.

I don't see international routes in VA's near future since they are more expensive, require more training, certification, etc. Possibly 4-5 years into the operation once they grow and establish market presence.

SeeTheWorld

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:10 am

The question is, "will they go anywhere?" We'll see.

irelayer

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:20 am

Isn't this thread a bit premature? Geez :P

-IR

NKMCO

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 2):

It is true that we all have to wait and see if and when they get the certification. From what I've seen there are no legal restrictions against them. They might be a bit delayed getting the certification due to major airlines disputing the "foreign ownership" - but that is a big stretch on their part.

Yesterday they did announce purchase of Ramco - maintenance software solution and Navero EFB systems.

My guess is they will begin operation sometimes between July and October.

petmbro

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:48 am

If Virgin America eventually establishes a presence on the west coast I would think they probably would start flights to Canada and/or Mexico, but then again that's nothing more more than a guess.
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

kkfla737

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 2):

My thought exactly. I know Branson always thinks big but until this thing actually gets off the ground let's just focus on where they may fly first.

motopolitico

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:59 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to plug-in to the existing Virgin Atlantic international route structure?? Oh, I guess you mean non- longhaul international. I think Virgin America would best serve as a collector system for Virgin's longhaul routes. They could OWN the east coast-london market if they wanted to.
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

N770WD

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting NKMCO (Reply 4):
It is true that we all have to wait and see if and when they get the certification.

To fly international they would need to apply for foreign authority. VA's DOT application is for scheduled interstate service. Flag service would assume the licensed Virgin brand name can be used internationally, potentially against Singapore Airlines or Virgin Atlantic. So the signal from management is domestic service only.

There is no chance they will be flying in July without divine intervention (at least on a new certificate) given that DOT has not yet issued questions about their application. Flying by November is still possible if everything moves quickly from today. DOT is moving no slower or faster on Virgin America than they did on recent fresh Part 121 certifications for Eos and MAXjet, both of which were also funded entities with fit management teams and complete applications -- and neither of those had foreign ownership or control issues to deal with.

petmbro

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting N770WD (Reply 8):
Flag service would assume the licensed Virgin brand name can be used internationally, potentially against Singapore Airlines or Virgin Atlantic.

They would never put one Virgin against another, that makes no sense. The best thing they should do is work off the Virgin Atlantic destinations in the US and help feed it. Doesn't VS want to serve YYZ? Couldn't Virgin America be the stepping stone they need to connect YYZ with LHR via one of their east coast destinations? Also once Virgin America gets going will VS leave their CO codesharing and use Virgin America instead?

[Edited 2006-02-15 20:25:50]
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

AV8AJET

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:49 am

Trust me I know it's not international, but anyone think Virgin America would venture into the Hawaiian market? Not sure but does anyone run the A320 series over to the great Hawaiian islands?
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

nickofatlanta

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 am

I thought the Virgin name could not be used for new international services (except VS) without the permission of SQ. This is why Virgin Blue's international services are flown under the Pacific Blue name.

jetdeltamsy

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting YOW (Thread starter):
does anyone here know, or think, they will do international flying?

GO INTERNATIONAL???!!!

They can't seem to "go" domestically!
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

MKEdude

Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting YOW (Thread starter):
Virgin America - Will They Go International?

Let's wait unit they go someplace domestic first.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa