rootsair

Secondary Airports: What Happened There B4 LCCs?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:11 am

Everyone (or almost I hope) know that Ryanair focus on secondary airports often far from the city they announce it serves...

good examples are:

Friedrichshafen(Germany), Paris Beauvais, Bydgoszcz(Poland), Rodez(France), Balaton(Hungary), Bergerac(France) to name only a few !

Before Ryanair or other LCC's established in these airports, were there actually any commerical flights to those places. I'm sure more than one of them didn't even get their national carrier serving them...as I am sure many of those were only for business or cargo flights.
i have always wondered about that and it would be great if my fellow a.netters could give me info about what was going on in those airports before LCC's and especially Ryanair(which is the airline that serves those very "odd" airports) came.

regards

BM
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

GSM763

Secondary Airports: What Happened There B4 LCCs?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:16 am

Basically nothing. Airport serving small towns often had services from the national capital with small CRJs and Jungle jets they were also used for charters occasionaly but they have all seen explosive growth. My local secondary airport I think has had ten year growth of about 3000%

Thomas_Jaeger

RE: Secondary Airports: What Happened There B4 LCCs?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:27 am

Friedrichshafen had a lot of other flights when Ryanair started the London route which is doing very well (also in terms of yields). They had (Team) Lufthansa flights to Dusseldorf, Cologne, Berlin, Hamburg and Frankfurt as well as Crossair/Swiss flying to Basle.

I think Beauvais had no scheduled flights. Bydgoszcz had LOT to Warsaw, Rodez had Air France service to Orly and Bergerac had regional service to Orly (I think Air Liberte or Airlinair). Balaton only has weekly flights to a couple of German and Swiss airports with Helvetic, Dauair, Malev and the likes.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

A319XFW

RE: Secondary Airports: What Happened There B4 LCCs?

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:37 am

In Germany airports like Hahn or Weeze (ex RAF Laarbruch) were military airfields and once the users (USAF, RAF etc) left, the communities were desperate to get their economy back up due to all the lost income.

I would hazard a guess that quite a few airports that FR use in and around Germany were cold war airstations.