FATFlyer
Topic Author

Allegiant To Announce....YNG-SFB On Thurs

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:47 pm

I'm sure this will spark a few discussions. But since the media has released it I might as well go ahead and post it.

Allegiant will announce Youngstown to Orlando on Thursday. Look for 2 flights a week to start. This article says a May start but I heard differently so we'll see what is in the official announcement.

http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/294102109770700.php

[Edited 2006-02-16 08:50:57]
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

flyinryan99

RE: Allegiant To Announce....YNG-SFB On Thurs

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:17 am

After long anticipation, Allegiant has finally announced service to Youngstown, OH. Service is to begin on May 19th with 2x weekly (Mon and Fri) to Orlando-Sanford.

http://www.allegiantair.com/pr/021606.htm

mbm3

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:42 am

Seems to be kinda late to start - I think this route will only be popular for the snowbird flights in the winter.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

Tornado82

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:43 am

I hope and pray to God none of my FEDERAL tax dollars were used on this. Once again, if you want to jumpstart a DEAD economy, get flights to a national business center, not Orlando-Sanford.

mbm3

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 3):
I hope and pray to God none of my FEDERAL tax dollars were used on this. Once again, if you want to jumpstart a DEAD economy, get flights to a national business center, not Orlando-Sanford.

Absolutely!
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

luv2fly

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:51 am

I am sure these grants are not meant to be chasing vacation flyers and affording them cheap flights for a once a year vacation. These grants should be used responsibly chasing flights to business centers that will attract growth for the business community....
You can cut the irony with a knife

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:26 am

I know the viability of this route has been debated several times by people with opinions on both sides. I haven't done business in Youngstown in 10-15 years so I haven't wanted to use old info to form my opinion about the feasibility of the route. But because there were so many doubters it made me wonder what will happen.

So now its up to the YNG area to show if this was a good move or not. Allegiant strongly follows the "use it or lose it" policy. My personal guess (only my opinion since I don't work at G4  crying  ) is that YNG needs strong bookings over the next 8 weeks or so covering a long period of dates.

In other words, it needs more than just reservations for June and July vacations. There are lots of cities who would like Orlando flights for summer and beyond. And Allegiant will not be afraid to move the aircraft if the numbers don't look sustainable in the long term.

I expect Allegiant will take a first close look at this route starting in April or Early May. If reservations are weak, the flight is gone before it starts. If reservations are strong they'll be happy to start. But also don't let things drop off, they continue to watch routes and make changes.

To the YNG supporters, good luck proving the doubters wrong. Don't rely on just the airline and airport to market the service. Use grassroots marketing to create and sustain a buzz in the region. I hope it goes well for YNG.  crossfingers 

New route map
http://www.allegiantair.com/route_map.htm

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 3):
I hope and pray to God none of my FEDERAL tax dollars were used on this.

I meant to point out this quote in the newspaper article in the original post. Full details aren't out but the paper said
The Vindicator has learned the airline will begin flights in May, and it will not be getting any financial inducement to begin the flights. Allegiant will receive advertising help from grants and help from the airport with airport-related costs.

Advertising and airport fees are typical inducements given to Allegiant, a lot of the ones I've seen have been deals like $75,000 in advertising and 6 months of fees waived. It sounds like Allegiant got a similiar package here and no direct subsidy or revenue guarantee.

The only federal money I am aware of that YNG has for service is a $250,000 SCASD grant from 2004. That was proposed for use only for marketing and advertising of new flight services, not any subsidy. So some SCASD money is probably going to pay for ads and mailings about this service. How much of the $250,000 is used for marketing this remains to be seen.

g4resagent

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:14 am

We have had people calling us for the past three weeks or so saying: You are flying there, when does service start?

Tornado82

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 7):
a lot of the ones I've seen have been deals like $75,000 in advertising

That seems to be what they got here in ABE, which was a bit of a slap in the face of Hooters who had just announced ABE-MCO while billboards on 22 were showing Allegiant.

stlgph

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:44 am

I like Allegiant a lot but I am convinced that the surrounding Ohio area to Orlando is already greatly served by enough carriers as it is.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

ouboy79

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 10):
I like Allegiant a lot but I am convinced that the surrounding Ohio area to Orlando is already greatly served by enough carriers as it is.

TOL was probably the last gap in Ohio-Orlando service...G4 filled that.

Quoting FATFlyer (Thread starter):
I'm sure this will spark a few discussions. But since the media has released it I might as well go ahead and post it.

If you followed anything on USAFlying, I think you'd agree this was probably the worst kept secret as it was leaked on there 10 months ago when they started talking. LOL

luv2fly

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 10):

I can not believe I am saying this, though I agree 110% with STLGph! The area is served and served well I might add. You have PIT, CMH, CLE, ERI and DAY just for starters, a tad further you have TOL, CVG and DTW also. If it works then I'll eat my words, though so far the recent flights that have been added out of YNG speaks for itself.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 11):
the worst kept secret as it was leaked on there 10 months ago when they started talking.

LOL Of course that Allegiant was talking to YNG was no secret. I even mentioned the discussions myself elsewhere in the past.

Many of the cities that Allegiant has spoken with are not secrets, for example CRW spoke with G4 recently. But not all of the cites end up with flights or they have to wait a couple of years, but that's the real secret in these deals.

Sometimes when it leaks out the deals fall apart, which is why the ones I hear about I try not to mention until either the day of or a day or so before the announcement. Sharing inside info too soon can sometimes be a mistake.

G4 actually making a final decision to accept the YNG deal, then setting an actual start date was the real secret. Even those posters at the other site who claimed to know inside info about G4 and YNG didn't have info on the correct start date. They kept saying by Easter, this is a month later date. Heck, depending upon conditions in other markets G4 could have decided to wait even longer on this deal.

KarlB737

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:19 am

More Details.................

Courtesy: The Business Journal

Allegiant Air To Announce Twice-Weekly Service To Orlando

http://www.business-journal.com/AllegiantAirtoAnnounce.asp

ouboy79

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 13):
G4 actually making a final decision to accept the YNG deal, then setting an actual start date was the real secret. Even those posters at the other site who claimed to know inside info about G4 and YNG didn't have info on the correct start date. They kept saying by Easter, this is a month later date. Heck, depending upon conditions in other markets G4 could have decided to wait even longer on this deal.

Exactly...and for all we know, if sales aren't good enough...TOL will remain the only Ohio city on the map. Nice to see they updated the additional 2 weekly SFB flights to MD83s.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:20 pm

A few more details courtesy the media in this article:
http://www.vindy.com/content/local_regional/290238542802406.php

Marketing will continue with a $250,000 Department of Transportation Small Community Air Services grant that the port authority was awarded in 2004 and was first available to help Pan Am Clipper Connection advertise its service last year. The port authority withdrew that funding from Pan Am last summer, before the company could offer any flights because of questions about Pan Am's finances.

Vic Rubenstein, of the Rubenstein Associates marketing company of Liberty, said he is under an oral contract with the port authority to run advertising and marketing for Allegiant's service.

Anyone know how much of the grant is left for advertising Allegiant? Also, why an "oral contract"? Why even say that it is only oral? It just strikes me as strange.

Winner Aviation, which has been locked in a competitive battle with ReadyAir, the other service provider at the airport, said it has negotiated a contract with Allegiant to provide the fuel handling. Winner Aviation President Rick Hale said the parties recently agreed to a one-year agreement; he wouldn't disclose the fuel price. Hale said the price for Allegiant is in line with fuel costs at Akron-Canton and similar airports.
ATCRick, where are you. In the back of my mind I thought Allegiant had been trying for longer fuel contracts at other airports, or is my memory faulty.

Bowser said the port authority and Allegiant do not have a formal contract yet, but they did sign a "memo of understanding" a week ago that contains language on most of the important points.
Anyone know what points are left?

Tornado82

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 16):
Marketing will continue with a $250,000 Department of Transportation Small Community Air Services grant that the port authority was awarded in 2004 and was first available to help Pan Am Clipper Connection advertise its service last year.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate abuse of SCASD? It's to develop economies to provide air service necessary to attract business to the region... NOT discount flights to Florida... and especially not when there are already well served airports in all directions.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 16):
ATCRick, where are you. In the back of my mind I thought Allegiant had been trying for longer fuel contracts at other airports, or is my memory faulty.

Don't worry, I look for Allegiant to be gone as soon as the $250k in advertising is gone so they don't need more than a year of fuel. Unless they start buying some cast-off RJ's, because that would be the only way to get block cost in line with the loads which are coming.

luv2fly

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:58 pm

I can see how TOL works for G4. YNG is surrounded by other airports that are offering and have been offering flights to Florida for a long time.

Tornado82

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 18):
YNG is surrounded by other airports that are offering and have been offering flights to Florida for a long time.

Considering it's Airtran on both sides immediately closest to them... that Airtran serves MCO and not SFB... the 717/73G are more efficient than an older MD8x, and that Airtran's prices are pretty much in line anyways, it might be getting ugly soon. Somehow, I think Airtran can outlast Allegiant.

luv2fly

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:15 pm

After it is said and done I do think that the new charter terminal at CMH would have been a better choice....

flyinryan99

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:21 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 17):
Have I mentioned lately how much I hate abuse of SCASD? It's to develop economies to provide air service necessary to attract business to the region... NOT discount flights to Florida... and especially not when there are already well served airports in all directions.

While I do agree with you I have a question for ya...What do you think about these communities that got SCASD grants for "Feasability Studies?" I think those are abuse also and it shuns out airports who had really good proposals last year (I am only impartial to TOL since I thought they had a very solid application, but there were others out there too  Smile ).

Now, on the flip side of the service, while 80 percent of the travel will be liesure, Orlando and other places down there certainly have business relavences - Conventions. With conventions in Orlando, usually they allow families to go right along..blah blah blah. While this isn't spurring business growth on a big extreme, there is some truth to it. Also, I am wondering if YNG is trying to pull what RFD did with Hooters, prove to other carriers they can fill flights to lure the other carriers in there. Yes, it's a gray area but in the end it could spur economic growth with other carriers offering service down the road.

As for my opinion as to how this service will do, I don't know. I'm going to take the wait and see approach.  Smile

DeltaRules

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 20):
After it is said and done I do think that the new charter terminal at CMH would have been a better choice....

The one at LCK? I'd like to see Allegiant start there. That terminal's empty again. Pan Am v3 left in November & Hooters pulled out recently.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

luv2fly

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 21):
Now, on the flip side of the service, while 80 percent of the travel will be liesure, Orlando and other places down there certainly have business relavences - Conventions. With conventions in Orlando, usually they allow families to go right along..blah blah blah. While this isn't spurring business growth on a big extreme, there is some truth to it.

To be attractive to business travelers the flights have to be offered more than twice a week! Business people want the ability to come home earlier if there plans change, or stay later for the same reason. Or even have the choice of a earlier flight/later flight on the same day, not one flight a day and only twice a week.

Tornado82

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 21):
I think those are abuse also

Agreed...

luv2fly

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 22):
The one at LCK? I'd like to see Allegiant start there. That terminal's empty again. Pan Am v3 left in November & Hooters pulled out recently.

DeltaRules

Yes and I am almost sure it would be an easier sell to fill the flights.

flyinryan99

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 23):
To be attractive to business travelers the flights have to be offered more than twice a week! Business people want the ability to come home earlier if there plans change, or stay later for the same reason. Or even have the choice of a earlier flight/later flight on the same day, not one flight a day and only twice a week.

Oh I totally understand that. What I was getting at were the conventions. Usually conventions would last a little longer and with family there things could be extended. That's the only business relevance I was trying to get out of this.

luv2fly

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting Flyinryan99 (Reply 26):
Oh I totally understand that. What I was getting at were the conventions. Usually conventions would last a little longer and with family there things could be extended. That's the only business relevance I was trying to get out of this.

The thing with conventions is that the participants usually come from all over the place.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:12 am

Don't get me started on Congressional Pork because I think there is a lot of waste in spending in all parts of the country. When I hear about little league parks, swimming pools, special museums, etc. getting funded around the US I cringe. I love reading the reports about budget pork. They don't all further the purposes of govt.

But just to correct you on SCASD I don't think the wording says anything about economic development. The only part that is designed to improve a regional economy is the "Air Service Development Zone" designation. I believe everything else is talking about low fares and increased/improved service.

Should it be more related to Economic Development, I think it should but until the wording is changed it is what it is.

atcrick

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:03 am

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate abuse of SCASD?

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 19):
Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 18):
YNG is surrounded by other airports that are offering and have been offering flights to Florida for a long time.

Considering it's Airtran on both sides immediately closest to them... that Airtran serves MCO and not SFB... the 717/73G are more efficient than an older MD8x, and that Airtran's prices are pretty much in line anyways, it might be getting ugly soon. Somehow, I think Airtran can outlast Allegiant.

A: Have you mentioned how much you hate Allegiant for some reason? And people will not fly AirTran as opposed to Allegiant cause they think they are more "efficient". Now based on the rules here I will not tell you what I think of your biased BS. But it starts with "F"
natch!!

Tornado82

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 29):
A: Have you mentioned how much you hate Allegiant for some reason?

Actually I don't, and think it's great that they're going into many underserved markets. SBN? Brilliant! ABE? Replacing Trasmeridian, Brilliant, especially when you got LNAA to put up dozens of billboards all over the valley. FNL? Brilliant! No more DEN drives for those folks. YNG? D'oh! There's a big difference in driving Allentown to Philly for cheap fares, or South Bend to Midway... but driving from Youngstown to Pittsburgh, especially the airport itself, or CAK is a walk in the park comparatively.

If I hate them so much, I wouldn't have just yesterday recommended you to a close friend who'd never heard of you folks, for a trip to LAS (from VPZ, using SBN) rather than making the horrendous drive to Midway.  scratchchin 

And people will not fly AirTran as opposed to Allegiant cause they think they are more "efficient".

Thank you for today's lesson in Obvious 101, cross-listed as Missing the Point 499.

The point was that the efficiency of their planes can allow FL to match/beat fares from Allegiant if they so desire. Then the fringes of the (oh about 10 miles in diameter...) YNG catchment area (places like Mercer County, PA, etc.) will then be going to the places like PIT and CAK where they belong, for the better choices, IFE, etc. and still for equal prices. Honestly though, this isn't even a fly on the wall to Airtran, so I doubt they'll worry... but if Airtran does declare war, these "Mad Dogs" will get beaten with a rolled up newspaper like they just soiled the carpet.

Now based on the rules here I will not tell you what I think of your biased BS. But it starts with "F"

Oh how nice, you must know I'm in a long distance relationship and wanted to give me some ideas of things to do while I pass by the time away from the girl, much obliged sir.  biggrin 

You might hear it right back from the YNG folks, when your airline's latest adventure fails there and you're all forced pack up the bags and move it to someplace more worthy. Both Erie, PA and Charleston, WV come to mind as alot more worthy than YNG will ever be, and likely wouldn't be wasting OUR taxdollars in the process.

luv2fly

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:55 am

Tornado82

I agree totally with your analogy and feelings on this matter. I also just booked some relatives on Allegiant from SBN to LAS and return.

My feelings on the YNG service is simple, it already available in the general area, Allegiant is not bringing anything to the table that is not already on it, in short distance from YNG.

CentPIT

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 31):
My feelings on the YNG service is simple, it already available in the general area, Allegiant is not bringing anything to the table that is not already on it, in short distance from YNG.

I agree with both of you 100%. I doubt this service will last very long.
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

ouboy79

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:33 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 30):
Both Erie, PA and Charleston, WV come to mind as alot more worthy than YNG will ever be, and likely wouldn't be wasting OUR taxdollars in the process.

ERI would be my top choice if they want something in that region...but they went with YNG for now. We'll see what happens.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:43 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 32):
I doubt this service will last very long.

It will be interesting to watch.

People said the same thing about Allegiant at Peoria because BMI was only 45 miles away.

FNL and BLV seem to survive even with other similiar services nearby. New ones like ORH, SMX have competition nearby. Then they manage to compete directly on a few like COS-LAS and FAT-LAS.

I don't know it this one will work or not but Allegiant seems to make a lot of routes work that end up being surprises.

atcrick

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 30):

The point was that the efficiency of their planes can allow FL to match/beat fares from Allegiant if they so desire. Then the fringes of the (oh about 10 miles in diameter...) YNG catchment area (places like Mercer County, PA, etc.) will then be going to the places like PIT and CAK where they belong, for the better choices, IFE, etc. and still for equal prices. Honestly though, this isn't even a fly on the wall to Airtran, so I doubt they'll worry... but if Airtran does declare war, these "Mad Dogs" will get beaten with a rolled up newspaper like they just soiled the carpet.

An assanine statement at best. Based on the revenue G4 generates based on package deals they sell FL cannot compete at the same level. I won't bother quoting numbers, but G4 generates alot more money on package deals then FL.

We'll see if it works or not. But, No question, you are a marketing genious. Thats why you are in such demand Tornado. Proper name, big bag of wind.
natch!!

Tornado82

Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting ATCRick (Reply 35):

We'll see if it works or not. But, No question, you are a marketing genious. Thats why you are in such demand Tornado. Proper name, big bag of wind.

Nothing beats getting insulted by someone who spells the insult wrong, what an "assanine genious" it must be who can't spell nor use spell check.

We may all be a bunch of armchair CEO's here, but those of us who live in the area and know the economics/market alot better than Californian Dispatchers, all seem to agree that YNG isn't the answer. Interesting, eh? Demographics don't usually lie, and 70 year old retired millworkers don't go to Orlando on package deals.

Here are two more cities that are at least as well suited for this service as YNG:
LBE, same situation with PIT nearby but a better economy in the eastern suburbs/Westmoreland County than in YNG/New Castle.

HGR, big money quickly developing "yuppy" area with kids that would be of the "Orlando" demographic, and with the death of FlyI, and Airtran being way out at BWI, a pretty attractive place. Would also draw from Cumberland, Martinsburg, and Chamberburg.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 36):
Californian Dispatchers,

LOL Good to hear that G4 is going to leave LAS and come back to California. Rick let me know when you want to come and househunt, I'll hook you up with a real estate agent.

Demographics don't usually lie, and 70 year old retired millworkers don't go to Orlando on package deals.

Interesting average demographic you see in YNG considering only 16% of the Youngstown MSA is over 65 while 26% of the population is under 19. Census bureau has the median age of the MSA at 40.7. That's out of just under 600,000 people in the MSA.

LBE, same situation with PIT nearby but a better economy in the eastern suburbs/Westmoreland County than in YNG/New Castle.

18% of Westmoreland County is over 65 while 23% is under 19. Plus the US Census bureau has Westmoreland County median age at 42.6. That's out of a population of 359,596 in the county, I don't know the overall draw area for LBE so I don't know how much larger the population would be considered.

Looks like LBE actually skews older than YNG.

HGR, big money quickly developing "yuppy" area with kids that would be of the "Orlando" demographic, and with the death of FlyI, and Airtran being way out at BWI, a pretty attractive place. Would also draw from Cumberland, Martinsburg, and Chamberburg.

But are they "yuppies" who turn their noses up at the thought of a trip to Orlando? Some areas have preferences about where they go, can't let the neighbors think you went "there" instead of this year's in spot.

We can play the demographics game all night with info on age, income, etc. People play that all the time with Fresno, the common image is a bunch of farmers and poor farm workers. But that is not true at all. The CEO of Sharper Image a few years ago said to the media, I can't believe we are opening a store in Fresno. But the upscale demand is here, most just didn't see it until recently. Images and average demographics for an area are only part of the story because they can be skewed by extremes.

What is ultimately going to count is the interest and willingness in going to a destination, particularly for Allegiant since they are interested only in the O&D traffic. That is why some cities may not get LAS or SFB service, even if they have attractive demographics. Look at McAllen, LAS works, SFB didn't.

That is what I find intriguing with YNG. I'm waiting to see if Allegiant's marketing analysts saw something there that most people wouldn't see. For G4 I don't think it's about getting marketing money from an airport, if it was they wouldn't have left some cities before they started. We'll see in a couple of months if this is one of the rare misses or if they found something hidden.

iowaman

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:15 pm

Come on people, people will enjoy the convinence and low parking fees of YNG, with cheap n/s service to Orlando. YNG-SFB should do just fine.

sunking737

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:19 pm

Its great to see G4 add more cities, this means they will hire more employees.

I think its time we have a WWE cage match all of us Airline people against Tornado82.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos