GoAllegheny
Topic Author

"ILM" Is Official Name For Wilmington, NC Airport

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:37 am

Recently I flew to Wilmington, NC, where the official airport name is the name as the airport's three-letter code name. In other words, the airport's name is "ILM," and the signage around the airport says "ILM Airport." Yes, occasionally you see a sign that says "Wilmington International Airport," but most of the signs say ILM, as does the website www.flyilm.com.

Anyway, I think it's very odd for a city to name its airport after the three letter code. Maybe LAX is similar, but that's a very well-known code for a huge city. What do you think?

KELPkid

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:44 am

Well, here in Portland, all the locals call our airport PDX, and the PA system even has an automatic announcement that says "PDX is a smoke-free airport."
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

fewsolarge

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:45 am

I guess a well known name has to start somewhere. If it improves recognition they should go for it. I have to imagine that the Wilmington area will see a ton of growth over the next few decades. Time will tell ...

Sabena332

RE: "ilm" Is Official Name For Wilmington, NC Airport

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:06 am

JFK is another example, I always say "JFK please" when I enter a cab and need to go to the airport.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

deltagator

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:11 am

They used to call it the "New Hanover International Airport" after the county it is located in didn't they? Perhaps just shorter to get out on a press release or website.

Quoting Fewsolarge (Reply 2):
I have to imagine that the Wilmington area will see a ton of growth over the next few decades. Time will tell ...

A fair amount of growth but not nearly enough to be considered a common name like LAX or PDX. They just aren't that big nor will they be in the next few decades.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ERJ170

RE: "ilm" Is Official Name For Wilmington, NC Airp

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:16 am

Raleigh-Durham International is vastly more commonly called RDU. And the signage out fronts says RDU, not Raleigh-Durham International. And a lot of people call Raleigh AND/OR Durham as RDU.. which is even worst. I have heard a ton of people say they are "staying in RDU" when instead they mean Raleigh or Durham. There are hotels Near RDU, but there are no Hotels at RDU.

Aiming High and going far..

LGA777

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:17 am

I think its a great idea, the more the flying public aside from very frequent flyer learn airport codes they use the less confusion and less stupid questions for airline personell to have to answer/explain !

LGA777

KELPkid

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting LGA777 (Reply 6):
I think its a great idea, the more the flying public aside from very frequent flyer learn airport codes they use the less confusion and less stupid questions for airline personell to have to answer/explain !

LGA777

Dunno, I just can't imagine that for places like ELP, EYW,ORD or ABQ  Yeah sure

searpqx

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 7):
Dunno, I just can't imagine that for places like ELP, EYW,ORD or ABQ

Actually ABQ is a fairly common reference to Albuquerque. I've had family who can't tell a plane from plantain write ABQ in reference to not only the airport but even the city.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

KELPkid

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:48 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 8):
Actually ABQ is a fairly common reference to Albuquerque. I've had family who can't tell a plane from plantain write ABQ in reference to not only the airport but even the city.

Isn't there a lake called something like "Lake Abiqueue" up in northern New Mexico that sounds an awful lot like ABQ?  Wink

bohica

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:11 am

San Francisco International Airport markets itself as SFO. Check out their website.
http://www.flysfo.com

tu154m

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:11 am

Atlanta is always called ATL or "Hartsfield". ATL is much easier than Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson-King-Vick-Smith-etc, etc, etc. Add your name here international airport!!!!!!
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

HPRamper

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:12 am

It annoys me when EVERYONE including the news media calls Portland itself PDX. It's not a city abbreviation people, it's just the airport.

deltagator

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:48 am

Quoting Tu154m (Reply 11):
ATL is much easier than Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson-King-Vick-Smith-etc, etc, etc.

Let's take some bets on how long before they try to get Dr. King's name on the airport. They would have Mayor Campbell's name on there now if he wasn't under federal indictment.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

redngold

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:09 am

Although it's now officially "Lehigh Valley International Airport," people in southeastern Pennsylvania still refer to it as ABE. It was originally Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton Airport. You simply do not hear "L.V.I."
Up, up and away!

eraugrad02

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:35 pm

i live in ILM. I think they did this to make the airport more significant. I lik it tho. All street signs on I-40. I-140(new outer loop), and Martin Luther King Jr. Pkwy all say ILM. gives it more of a big town feel since Wilmington has been one of the fastest growing citie in the country for the past 10 yrs. I personally don't no why..lol. ive lived here all my lifeon one of thev golf communities here. all my nieghbors are from NE. I dont even have a southern accent. But getting back on subject i think the name is good. we pulled 700,000 pax here for 2005. i think is CLT, RDU, GSO, then ILM for pax loads.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

Tornado82

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:55 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 14):
Although it's now officially "Lehigh Valley International Airport," people in southeastern Pennsylvania still refer to it as ABE. It was originally Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton Airport. You simply do not hear "L.V.I."

Hey you beat me to that, I thought you were from Cleveland? lol. But yeah, the only people calling it LVI is PennDOT on the road signs on 78, 22, 309, etc.

RDUDDJI

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:46 pm

I love me some ILM. All I need is for UA to open an International hub there so I can move back there and retire... I'm originally from the Wrightsville Beach area, too bad I can't find a job down there with my airline background...oh well, it's still a great place to visit.

I did see the Dave Matthews Band (w/ Big Head Todd) at ILM back in 1994. Great show.

[Edited 2006-02-18 07:46:51]
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

USAIRWAYS321

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:13 pm

On this topic, even the Phoenix Suns wear "PHX" on their jerseys.

antoniemey

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 12):
It annoys me when EVERYONE including the news media calls Portland itself PDX. It's not a city abbreviation people, it's just the airport.

People are lazy. Besides, anywhere OTHER than the west coast if you say "Portland" whomever you're talking to will say "Maine?" So then, if you say PDX (shorter than Portland, Oregon, and teaching people the proper pronunciation of THAT is another headache on its own) anyone who flies regularly does actually know what you're talking about.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

N1120A

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Denver International, contrary to most of the airports mentioned in this thread, goes by its original designation, DIA as opposed to DEN. The old DEN wasn't known as DEN either, rather as Stapleton. SAN is always referred to as Lindburgh. SNA is John Wayne. BUR is never called Bob Hope or BUR, it is always simply Burbank, same with ONT being Ontario. ORD and MDW are O'Hare and Midway. BOS is Logan. MSY is "The Airport" or sometimes MSY, no one calls it Armstrong. The NYC airports are Newark, La Guardia and JFK or Kennedy. Rome Da Vinci is still referred to by it's old name, Fiumecino. I am out of breath
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Go3Team

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:32 am

RIC is another. The signage around town, etc, all use RIC Airport.
Yay Pudding!

stirling

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:43 am

BNA.
There is a record label, headquarterd in Nashville, called "BNA".

OKC.
You see this alot through town.

BWI.
Signs in the area refer to as such. It is also used in the local vernacular.

PDX.
It has spread to use beyond the airport designation. Locals are beginning to use it in refrence to their city.
Delete this User

Birdwatching

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:03 am

FRA, same thing.

"Wenn ich in Freiburg den ICE um 6 Uhr nehme, bin ich in zwei Stunden in FRA"

Well I don't know about others, but I say it that way.

Soren  santahat 
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

cltguy

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:46 am

I'm not sure what to make about "ILM"...it just doesn't seem to have a good conotation....ask most people on the street what "ILM" stands for and they will be clueless. Seems to me like they are just trying to copy their big brother "RDU"

ILM is not the 4th busiest airport in NC...it is actually the Concord Regional Airport JQF. While JQF doesn't have any commercial service it is home to the "NASCAR Airforce." JQF just recently finished a runway expansion to 7,400ft.

Can someone tell us about the new service to Bermuda and London starting later this year from ILM?

N1120A

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 21):
RIC is another. The signage around town, etc, all use RIC Airport.

I think it is cool that you guys can call it "Rick"
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

antoniemey

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:14 pm

Quoting Cltguy (Reply 24):
ask most people on the street what "ILM" stands for and they will be clueless.

Actually, if they've ever seen Star Wars they'll say "Industrial Light and Magic"
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

deltagator

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:57 am

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 18):
On this topic, even the Phoenix Suns wear "PHX" on their jerseys.

And they look absolutely retarded! Worst uniforms ever!

One I forgot earlier was my hometown airports of ATL and PDK. ATL is of course used in everyday hip hop lingo while I just call it Hartsfield. PDK is Peachtree-DeKalb Airport but us locals are to lazy to say that so it is just referenced as PDK.