waleckdaddy

Use Miles To Upgrade A Non-rev Ticket?

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:46 am

Quick question: usually an ID90 or Zed fare is listed in Y class. Since this is typically a full fare economy ticket, can you use miles (If you have them) to upgrade?

toltommy

RE: Use Miles To Upgrade A Non-rev Ticket?

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:49 am

No. In general, non-revenue fares are not eligible to be used in conjunction with other discounts.

malaysia

Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:52 am

NO AND NO AND NO AND NO defintely a No no as your grandma will say

also a ZED is not based on a fare, just a mileage table for employees

a ID ticket is so much off a full fare ticket for employees

employees do not have the privilege to redeem or accrue miles with exception to myself, I once did it haha! back when SV had to write down mileage numbers and routes without ticket lift, they just submitted the form to HQ,

They let me put my UA mileage down and off I got my miles on the runs via Saudi Arabia to the USA
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

birka340

Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:22 am

I know that within Star Alliance it is possible to buy a ZED non-rev ticket in BusinessClass among some of the airlines.

How is it within other alliances? For example: Can an AA staff buy a non-rev Club World ticket on BA?

/B

MGASJO

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:22 am

Quoting Birka340 (Reply 3):
For example: Can an AA staff buy a non-rev Club World ticket on BA?

Only for Company business tickets, not for personal travel
C208B

malaysia

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:55 am

I know that within Star Alliance it is possible to buy a ZED non-rev ticket in BusinessClass among some of the airlines.

I NEVER DO THIS, even with my agreements we can get ZED or ID on C/J/F classes on some carriers, but once you go to the carrier to fly, you find out that the airport wont honor the C/J/F class and you waste all that money unless you had your Y class back up ticket.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

jetdeltamsy

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:59 am

Quoting Waleckdaddy (Thread starter):
Quick question: usually an ID90 or Zed fare is listed in Y class. Since this is typically a full fare economy ticket, can you use miles (If you have them) to upgrade?

You've got to be kidding me?

NOW i've heard everything.

Absolutely, positively NO WAY.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

christiaan

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:05 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 5):
I NEVER DO THIS, even with my agreements we can get ZED or ID on C/J/F classes on some carriers, but once you go to the carrier to fly, you find out that the airport wont honor the C/J/F class and you waste all that money unless you had your Y class back up ticket.

Not True in all cases. I frequently purchase C class fares on SAS and get the Business class seat if it's available. If it is NOT available, i've been returned the $ difference.
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright 1932

SeaMeFly

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:08 am

one reminder: "Beggers don't choose!" You won't even get on the flight when it's full, how do you expect to use your miles to upgrade. Why not cash in your miles for confirmed Business class or even confirmed FC?

baw716

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:53 pm

This is the most riduculous question I have ever heard on this forum. Non-rev tickets are non-rev tickets. Using miles to upgrade, give me a break.

If you want to assure yourself of a seat in Business or First, BUY A TICKET! If you are a non-rev, be glad you're on the damn plane. ZED tickets have the lowest priority of any non-rev ticket, you are boarded after all the airline non-revs, their families, guests, etc. I've traveled on ZED tickets and its handy to know that facility exists; but its still a privilege, not an entitlement. IF by some miracle you get upgraded, kiss the feet of the person who upgraded you; since it doesn't happen often.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

SK973

Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:48 am

Quoting Christiaan (Reply 7):
Not True in all cases. I frequently purchase C class fares on SAS and get the Business class seat if it's available. If it is NOT available, i've been returned the $ difference.

Not all airlines return the difference though... Be sure to have a Y-ticket as backup!

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 5):

Never had any problems with that anywhere in Europe, NYC, ORD, BKK or SIN. If there is space available in C I have been seated there.