moparman

Kenya Airways Service To The U.S.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:50 am

My wife, a former KQ flight attendent, just told me that she spoke to a friend of hers still with KQ this afternoon. According to her friend, KQ is planning service to IAD or JFK direct from NBO. I didn't think KQ had an aircraft with such range. I am not sure if even their B777s can achieve that distance, and if they can it would have to be at the very limits of their range. Has anyone else heard anything about this?
"Harming a patient is unethical, but I can inflict as much pain as I like" Dr. Phlox

TinkerBelle

RE: Kenya Airways Service To The U.S.

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:58 am

Well, there have been rumors about KQ having direct flights into the US for quite a while now. I believe their 772ER can make it non-stop to JFK without much restrictions. On one of their delivery flights, they flew non-stop from SEA-NBO with passengers that they had picked up the previous night someplace. At least that's what Kenya nation reported although that's hard to believe.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

RobertS975

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:03 pm

KQ is on tap to join SkyTeam as an associate member. If they were to fly direct to the USA, I would expect them to initiate routes to SkyTeam hubs to allow greater connection/codeshare opportunities. While DL could provide some feed at JFK, CO would offer far more feed if KQ were to fly to EWR.

antskip

Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:17 pm

As an aside, but may be of interest, KQ has just upgraded its website at last: http://www.kenya-airways.com/kq/
A huge improvement.
See http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/news.php?articleid=36540.

TinkerBelle

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:28 pm

Quoting Antskip (Reply 3):
As an aside, but may be of interest, KQ has just upgraded its website at last: http://www.kenya-airways.com/kq/
A huge improvement.

A HUGE improvement I might say. I'm definately impressed. You should hav seen there tacky website before they gave it a facelift and a boobjob  biggrin 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

IADLHR

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:35 pm

Werent they very interested in flying to MIA a few years ago?

moparman

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Correction in the above...

Robert, you are quite right with EWR. I was told New York, and I assumed JFK. In fact she ment Newark, EWR, but IAD is correct. I can imagine that they might fly a route like NBO-IAD-EWR-NBO. IAD makes sense as it is the nation's capital, and many international carriers fly to IAD just for that reason as it is a very international airport.

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 1):
I believe their 772ER can make it non-stop to JFK without much restrictions. On one of their delivery flights, they flew non-stop from SEA-NBO with passengers that they had picked up the previous night someplace.

I believe you're right. KQ did that flight SEA-NBO. At any rate: it is VERY impressive. I don't know if they did it with passengers, but I think it was a Kenyan Government deligation though.
"Harming a patient is unethical, but I can inflict as much pain as I like" Dr. Phlox