thepilot730

Virgin America Starts Hiring Pilots!

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:21 am

Just went to planejobs.com and noticed that Virgin America has posted job openings for A-320 pilots. Interviews will begin on March 1 and it states that the crew bases will be at SFO. Also states that they will begin hiring 100 pilots. Here is the link, but I don't know if it will work since it is a paid site.

http://www.planejobs.com/jobpostingdetail.cfm?jobpostingnumber=14645

Looks like they might begin service very soon!

luv2fly

RE: Virgin America Starts Hiring Pilots!

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Thepilot730 (Thread starter):
Looks like they might begin service very soon!

They still do not have an operating certificate.......
You can cut the irony with a knife

DeltaGuy

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:51 am

Link doesn't work..you have to login to see.

We don't even know if this airline can/will get off the ground yet...someone please stop the foreign ownership.

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

timboflier215

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:55 am

Quoting DeltaGuy (Reply 2):
someone please stop the foreign ownership.

confused  i thought that it wasnt foreign owned, but just using the virgin brand????

srbmod

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:37 am

We don't even know if this airline can/will get off the ground yet...someone please stop the foreign ownership.

Branson/The Virgin Group will take the maximum ownership stake that is currently allowed by the Federal Government. The airline industry is the only industry in America that still has such a restrictive foreign ownership rule. We've got railroads owned by Canadian firms, we've got shipping lines owned by foreign corporations, why is the government so afraid of letting the airline industry have similar allowances?

VgnAtl747

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:01 am

Someone's afraid that a modern branded airline might actually enter the US market with a decent product, and force some of our current carriers to actually provide better service.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

Cadet57

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:07 am

Quoting VgnAtl747 (Reply 5):
Someone's afraid that a modern branded airline might actually enter the US market with a decent product, and force some of our current carriers to actually provide better service.

So? whats wrong with that? Its about dammed time someone whips this industry into shape.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

rjpieces

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:10 am

someone please stop the foreign ownership

I can't stand crap like this. Virgin America will benefit thousands of Americans. Period.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

N908AW

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 4):
Branson/The Virgin Group will take the maximum ownership stake that is currently allowed by the Federal Government.

Actually from an AW&ST interview with the VA CEO (name escapes me...I hate mornings), he said Branson and Co only had a 25% stake in it.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

isitsafenow

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:29 am

And I'll just bet NW and USAirways pilots are getting mail about coming to work for Virgin-Amer.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

727forever

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:57 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 4):
Branson/The Virgin Group will take the maximum ownership stake that is currently allowed by the Federal Government. The airline industry is the only industry in America that still has such a restrictive foreign ownership rule. We've got railroads owned by Canadian firms, we've got shipping lines owned by foreign corporations, why is the government so afraid of letting the airline industry have similar allowances?

A is one significant difference between an airline and the other industries that you mention. Airlines must participate in the Civil Reserve Air Fleet program. This is a program that allows the U.S. military to contract the use of U.S. Airliners to transport troops and supplies during a time of war. Let's suppose that we allow foreign ownership to take place. If we allow it for one we have to allow it for all. So if say Iran, North Korea, and Syria want to buy/start an U.S. airline they could. All are "axis of evil" partners (not getting political here just using G.W.s enemies as an example). Now lets say that they bring in their own crews and totally undercut all the other airlines and take control of the U.S. airline industry. How likely do think it will be that they will allow their airplanes to be used in the CRAF program when G.W. Bush decides bring the War on Terrorism to them?

Before everyone gets all excited about Virgin America and quits their current jobs to go be part of the new team, find out what you'd be getting yourself into.

1. What do they plan to pay you? SFO is a very expensive place to live, hope it's better than poverty RJ wages.
2. What are the schedules going to be like?
3. What kind of Retirement/Insurance is going to be offered?

I know I'm going to get flamed for my thoughts here, but these are all valid questions to ask. Branson and now his new "mini me" Don Carty have horrible pasts with regards to employee relationships.

It's great to be excited about a new airline, but this one stinks.

727forever
727forever

VgnAtl747

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 6):
So? whats wrong with that? Its about dammed time someone whips this industry into shape.

That's my point... I was referring to DeltaGuy's comment... I completely agree with RJpieces.

Quoting N908AW (Reply 8):
Actually from an AW&ST interview with the VA CEO (name escapes me...I hate mornings), he said Branson and Co only had a 25% stake in it.

CEO is Fred Reid.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines