deltadude8

Can You Pack Alcohol In Checked Luggage?

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:49 pm

Hello,
I am traveling from MCI-S. Florida tomorrow afternoon and was wondering whether or not you are allowed to pack alcohol in checked luggage...

I am talking like a fifth of vodka for my parents from a trip I went on last month?

Is it legal or illegal? If I put it in my checked do I have to worry about it being removed?

(I don't want to carry it on because it is large)

checkraiser

RE: Can You Pack Alcohol In Checked Luggage?

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:52 pm

Legal

filler filler
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

deltagator

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:52 pm

Quoting Deltadude8 (Thread starter):
Is it legal or illegal?

It's legal. I bring wine back from my travels all the time and if I check a bag that's where it goes.

If I put it in my checked do I have to worry about it being removed?

Yes! Be worried. Especially if it's good stuff.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

VIflyer

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Not if you want it to stay in the bottle. I can't tell you how many times I've gone past baggage claim when the SJU or other Caribbean Flts have come in and as soon as the belt starts up the smell of rum and other exotic liqours fill the claim area.

Be safe man....carry it on board in your carry on bags.

VI
I reject your reality and subsitute my own

chrisjake

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:58 pm

Quoting VIflyer (Reply 3):
Be safe man....carry it on board in your carry on bags.

checkmark 

i bring beer back with me from most trips. ALWAYS in my carry-on.

deltadude8

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:58 pm

thanks for the quick responses...have a good weekend

deltadude8

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:59 pm

i'm 20 so tech. i can't carry it on...i'm underage...

AirlineAV8tr

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:01 pm

Be safe man....carry it on board in your carry on bags

I agree. There's no reason to risk the hooch stacked under 1,000 lbs of baggage, or to risk it surviving a toss from cargo hold to ground. Either wrap it well, or carry it onboard. Have fun on your trip!
If we went into the funeral business, people would stop dying.-Martin S. (PanAm CEO)

deltagator

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Not if you want it to stay in the bottle. I can't tell you how many times I've gone past baggage claim when the SJU or other Caribbean Flts have come in and as soon as the belt starts up the smell of rum and other exotic liqours fill the claim area.

I always wrap the bottles up in t-shirts or skivvies for some cushioning and protection. Don't worry, I wash them be serving them!

A fifth of vodka shouldn't be too heavy so carry it on board. It surely can't weigh more than my laptop and I drag that darn thing everywhere.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:08 pm

When I travel to Trinidad I always being back two bottles of Vat 19 Rum in my checked bag. I have never had a problem, just declare it on your customs form.

hawk44

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:17 pm

I would carry it on unless it's open then it will not be allowed onboard

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

misbeehavin

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:17 pm

wondering whether or not you are allowed to pack alcohol in checked luggage...

Sure you can - whenever I bring back a case of wine, I have it packed properly and check the whole case. No problem.

But if it's only a fifth, you may as well carry it. There's always a chance it will break or get kleptoed.

aaway

Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:46 pm

A good question that most passengers probably fail to ask, or do not consider asking. I've provided a link to IATA's Dangerous Goods matix. Page 2 of the pdf highlights the conditions under which alcoholic beverages are permitted:

http://www.iata.org/NR/ContentConnec...ods/file/Table2.3.AEnglish2005.pdf
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

mika

Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:34 pm

It should serve as absolutely no problem at all. I have on several occasions packed booze both in my carry on and in the checked baggage. For us Swedes who have ridiculously high alcohol tax it's way way cheaper to bring home the legal amount (10L) from any other EU country that you visit.

When i went to spain two years ago i brought exactly 10L (12 separate large bottles i believe it was) of various liquors in my checked baggage. Needless to say my baggage was overweight but as i packed all individual bottles in two socks they all survived the flight. One of my friends was not as lucky though, he got his clothes soaked in a sweet sweet odour of Famous Grouse whiskey  Smile

I wouldn't pack that amount in the checked baggage again, it is pretty much a guarantee that something will break during on/off loading and the handling at the airport. But 1 or a few bottles should be absolutely no problem att all.

Happy transportation!

noelg

Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:36 pm

We normally bring back two or three bottles of wine/spirits in our bags. Just wrap them in a towel, put them in amongst the rest of your clothes (in the middle) and they're fine - never had a problem in 6 years!

Noel

nikeshashar

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Go for it. IATA says take it with you. If there is a problem at the airport and they really don't let you..see what they say when u down it in front of the  Smile

LOL

Gr8Circle

Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting Deltadude8 (Reply 6):
i'm 20 so tech. i can't carry it on...i'm underage...

What's the legal age in the US?  Wow!

srbmod

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 16):
What's the legal age in the US?

21. Has been that age in many parts of the country for 20+ years. The Federal government pretty much forced states to raise the legal drinking age to 21 or else those states would lose Federal highway funds to help maintain roads. Louisiana was the last state to raise the legal drinking age.

malaysia

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:47 am

carry it on, cause its lovely smelling vodka and wine the bagroom and mmmm leaky purple bags.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

United_fan

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:10 am

When I flew back from GSO,I took 2 bottles of Green Label Jack Daneils home in my checked luggage (with NW).
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

AAgent

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:38 am

Deltadude8,
I would suspect that you're flying on Delta, given your user name. If so, I'm not sure as to Delta's rules, but I'd bet they'd be similar to American Airlines' rules as follows:

"Alcoholic beverages in retail packages may be checked as baggage or carried on board, but are limited to five liters per passenger providing that following conditions are met:

- The receptacle (bottle, can, etc.) does not exceed 5 liters.
- The alcohol does not exceed 70 percent by volume (140 proof).

Alcoholic beverages under 24 percent by volume (most beers and wines) are not restricted. Opened containers are only allowed if they are re-closed and packed properly. Customs regulations by country may limit the amount of alcohol you may be transport. Please check ahead of time to ensure that you are in compliance with these limits."

http://www.aa.com/content/travelInfo...n/baggage/restrictedArticles.jhtml

Best Regards,
AAgent
War Eagle!

Jano

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:44 am

As long as the bottles are packed in something soft, like t-shirts, and placed into zip lock packs you should be OK.

I have 30+ TATL trips in last 8 years, I always put alcohol in the check-in baggage and I have had only one accident, when a beer bottle leaked a bit. But then I was bringing in 20 of them.

The biggest problem I ever had was on Slovakian-Austrian border when I was bringing in 10 bottles of hard liquer to the USA (departing from VIE). Austrians would not let me in. I had to convince them (in was in early May) that Slovakia was about to become the World hockey champion and my country men were waiting for the delivery. Then I asked them if they would not let Americans to decide if they wanted this alcohol in or not. So, the Austrians let me in.

Here in the USA I always make sure that I tell the custom official that I have liquer in my luggage. They always let me in without any problems, well except one case when I forgot to eat 2 apples on the plane. I had to surrender them  Smile So, please before you bring them apples here in the USA you need to make sure you liquify them  Wink
The Widget Air Line :)

VgnAtl747

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:45 am

Thanks AAgent- they are very similar. Definetly note the customs regulations. You can be fined for bringing more than the limit in your luggage. Also- as it is a fragile item, I do believe that it is not covered by our baggage policy, in that we're not liable in the bottle breaks.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

SX36

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:58 am

How else do you get a fine Seattle microbrew like Red Hook to a barron wasteland like Grand Forks, ND?
NW, the only way out.....

TK787

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:22 am

Also you can buy a very nice leather wine bag to carry bottles in , I used to own one, which was perfect to carry two bottles of wine and a corkscrew. Just a reminder, is it still 1 bottle to bring into the US? Except from the US Virgin islands (5 lt.) , and last time I entered from Montreal they had 1.17 (?) liter bottles specifically designed just for border crossings.

byronsterk

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:22 am

The only place to get good russian vodka, is in russia.... the only good way to go to russia... by airplane.
Yes, it's legal Big grin
Helicopters can't fly, there just so ugly the earth repells them...

MarshalN

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting SX36 (Reply 23):
How else do you get a fine Seattle microbrew like Red Hook to a barron wasteland like Grand Forks, ND?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Red Hook, iirc, is now owned by one of the major brewers and is microbrew in name only.

Back on topic, I think the key is to have a lot of padding for your bottles. Also, using a hard instead of soft case luggage will help.

Halophila

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 9):
I have never had a problem, just declare it on your customs form.

So I have a question. What is the duty free limit for alcoholic beverages coming into the US? I ask because I've never seen a question relating to how much booze you are carrying on the blue customs form, nor any placards etc telling you your limits. I've come into the US with 12 beers and 2 bottles of rum at one time, but I didn't declare it- didn't have a problem.

Quoting AAgent (Reply 20):
The alcohol does not exceed 70 percent by volume (140 proof).

Whats interesting is that as a scientist, if I had to carry 70% Ethanol with me, it is impossible to take as checked luggage (or carry on for that matter). Typically it would need to be packed in absorbant material, labeled as flammable, sent as cargo, etc. With drinking alcohol a towel will suffice!

Halophila
Flown on 707, 717, 727, 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87

rossbaku

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:49 am

Every time I come back from Azerbaijan, I always make a point of going out to the shop the night before I leave and buying vodka. On the last trip home I brought home 11 bottles! When my case came through at ABZ the zip on my case was open, the handle was snapped and my case was stinking of vodka!

RossBaku  Silly

Demoose

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:57 am

When I came back from Ibiza last summer we bought so many bottles of vodka to take home that we had to put alot of it in our checked luggage as it wouldn't fit in our hand baggage. Perfectly fine, put in the middle of the case so it didn't get smashed, not a problem, even half empty bottles went in there.

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

TK787

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting Halophila (Reply 27):
So I have a question. What is the duty free limit for alcoholic beverages coming into the US? I ask because I've never seen a question relating to how much booze you are carrying on the blue customs form, nor any placards etc telling you your limits.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 24):
is it still 1 bottle to bring into the US? Except from the US Virgin islands (5 lt.) , and last time I entered from Montreal they had 1.17 (?) liter bottles specifically designed just for border crossings.

So, here is the link:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/dutyfree_exemption.xml

So, I was right, you can only bring 1 lt. into the US in general, and 5lts from US Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam but 1 of those bottles have to be produced in those countries.

http://www.visitcanada.com/montreal/travel_info.html#dutyus
And, you can bring 1.5 lt of wine from Canada into US, or 1.14 lt. booze, or 24 cans of beer.

AJMIA

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:48 am

Just make sure it is not overproof.

The Ground Security Coordinators at MIA are always removing overproof rum from passengers coming in from the Caribbean.

Airlines are supposed to donate all confiscated items to charity.

I wonder what the poor in Miami are doing with all the overproof rum, spray starch and Raid (the three most often confiscated items) that is being lifted off the travelers at MIA.  Yeah sure

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

N766UA

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:56 am

I brought back 4 bottles of wine from Italy in my carry-on luggage. Nobody cared. It's got a better chance of making the trip in carry-on anyway.
This Website Censors Me

tjc2

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 31):
Airlines are supposed to donate all confiscated items to charity.

I wonder what the poor in Miami are doing with all the overproof rum, spray starch and Raid (the three most often confiscated items) that is being lifted off the travelers at MIA

lol! makes you wonder sometimes...

enjoy,
coop
The only time I made a mistake was when I thought I was wrong...

manchesteruk

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:17 am

i brought 4 bottles smirnoff ice double black in my hand luggage and 8 in my suitcase.... also 4 cans of jack daniels ,that was from perth all the way back to manchester! good job i didnt get caught drinking them on board lol

AMS

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:44 pm

2 years ago I flew with 2 suitcases which had about 20 bottles of Wine in each of them from LAS-LAX-FRA-AMS......No problem and luckely I was not stoped at Dutch Customs at AMS!

Regards,
AMS

malaysia

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting Jano (Reply 21):
As long as the bottles are packed in something soft, like t-shirts, and placed into zip lock packs you should be OK.

Dont push your luck if the TSA has to open your bag, they may just unpack take the bottles and then the tshirts out then when done, they just put the tshirts back and put the bottles on top with no protection anymore. TSA does not understand if something is being used to cushion or protect a fragile item. they wont assume that. one time I was checking in a PC and I had cloth on the corners and socks to cushion the sides of the box. what happened? they took all the cushioning out and returned it all on the bottom and the pc was being smashed around on top! my case was all busted up, but my PC was fine. that was dumb of TSA.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

rolfen

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 31):
I wonder what the poor in Miami are doing with all the overproof rum, spray starch and Raid (the three most often confiscated items) that is being lifted off the travelers at MIA. Yeah sure

I know what they're doing with the rum... but with the spray starch and Raid...?
rolf

moparman

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:16 pm

I love real German beer, and not that stuff brewed for export you get here. I fill not only my suitcase, and my wife's suitcase with REAL beer, but also have been known to purchase an additional suitcase for exactly that purpose.
"Harming a patient is unethical, but I can inflict as much pain as I like" Dr. Phlox

N328KF

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:24 pm

I have brought back crates of beer from Germany before. Just use a milk crate and tape it firmly in place, putting cardboard over the top of the bottles. The cardboard should be recessed at least a couple of inches within the crate though.

Another time, my buddies and I brought back a suitcase of rum from Puerto Rico. We had it as carry-on, and used boxes provided by Bacardi at their San Juan distillery.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

ckfred

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:21 pm

If you walk around SFO on a Saturday or Sunday, you will see a lot of people with cardboard cartons bearing the names and/or logos of wineries in the Napa Valley and Sonoma County.

I've carried as much as four bottles of wine aboard, both at SFO (Napa and Sonoma) and SEA (Washington State and Vancouver Island). If you carry a bottle aboard, just pack it so it doesn't roll or shift in your bag, and put under the seat in front of you. Putting the bag in the overhead is just asking for your bag to fall out, when you open the bin after landing.

sergeant655

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:24 pm

Some airports in canada do not allow it in checked luggage. it could break and leak everywhere ansd make a big mess. if the seal is broken it is not allowed on at all. home made is also a no go in planes

norcal

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:32 pm

Ok here is a scenario, I want to buy absinthe when I go to Europe (duty free if I can manage it). I want to bring it back to the states, but I am underage. I will be carrying it on board most likely. What would happen if they caught me with it in customs in the states? I transported alcohol once from out of country and they scanned my bag and never even opened it or anything so I don't even know if they saw it.

bcbhokie

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:50 pm

Just as an aside, stand your ground if TSA security tries to "confiscate" alcohol you're carrying onboard if you know it's legal. Had a huge hassle on this carrying back a few six packs of beer a few weeks ago at a major US airport.... TSA screeners tried to con me out of the beer, and if I hadn't bothered to check the regulations first I might have handed it over.

It was a really slow time at the checkpoint (8PM at a pacific coast airport - after the day's flights but well in advance of the redeyes), and I think they were probably joking and would have in the end allowed me to continue with it - but you have to operate on the assumption they were serious, just as they would if you joked about a matter of security at a checkpoint.

Ben

joness0154

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting NorCal (Reply 42):
Ok here is a scenario, I want to buy absinthe when I go to Europe (duty free if I can manage it). I want to bring it back to the states, but I am underage. I will be carrying it on board most likely. What would happen if they caught me with it in customs in the states? I transported alcohol once from out of country and they scanned my bag and never even opened it or anything so I don't even know if they saw it.

Well, considering real absynth is a banned substance in the United States I would figure you'd have some more problems when you get caught with it at customs...
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

YULWinterSkies

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:13 am

But you can't pack alcohol at all if you fly to Saudi Arabia for instance...

Quoting Halophila (Reply 27):
Whats interesting is that as a scientist, if I had to carry 70% Ethanol with me, it is impossible to take as checked luggage (or carry on for that matter). Typically it would need to be packed in absorbant material, labeled as flammable, sent as cargo, etc.

Is it a question or an observation?

Some scientific samples obey special regulations. As long as you follow the rules and fill out the paperwork properly, no worries. Except for longer delays at borders.
When I doubt... go running!