777fan
Topic Author

Airports In Need Of An Extreme Makeover?

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:41 am

As many frequent business and leisure travellers can attest, an airport often serves as one's first impression of a city. Which airports (worldwide) make the best/worst impressions and why? I'm sure everyone has their favorites/most hated; don't share them unless you explain why. My bets:

Best (US):
DEN: brand new, ultra efficient, plenty of gate/concourse space, nice amenities
AUS: perfect size for the market, close to downtown, modern, great food and rental car facilities
LAS: you know you're in Vegas the minute you step off the plane

Worst (US):
LAX: crowded, outdated, inefficient, dirty, poor layout, employees often rude
HNL: still sporting 1970s architecture, few amenities, wiki wiki (express) bus takes longer than walking!
LAS: "Leaving Las Vegas" can be harder than pulling a full house; inadequate check in and security facilities
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

B742

RE: Airports In Need Of An Extreme Makeover?

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:44 am

LHR: Some of the terminals have realy low ceilings and are in a very old/rubbish condition. The rest of the airport needs to be updated like Terminal 5 (and the newest part of T3)  Smile

Hopefuly the project "Terminal East" will take place  Smile

Rob!  wave 

Aeroflot777

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:46 am

SVO no doubt. I can't wait until Terminal 3 will be finished!!

Aeroflot777

DesertFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:47 am

I definately agree with LAX and LAS. It's also pretty bad at many of the older terminals at SFO. Yuck.

luv2fly

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:47 am

CLE could use a make over add more food outlets. Add more food outlets prior to passing through security.
You can cut the irony with a knife

777fan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 3):
It's also pretty bad at many of the older terminals at SFO

I'm a UA flyer so I don't feel the pain that others do at SFO. The older concourses there hurt - one (B or C?) is all but abandoned. Nevertheless, I actually prefer SFO (over LAX) when flying to/from HNL. The food court in the UA concourse rocks!
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

srbmod

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting 777fan (Thread starter):
LAS: "Leaving Las Vegas" can be harder than pulling a full house; inadequate check in and security facilities

When I was there in April 2004, they looked to be working on those issues. One thing to remember is that the security checkpoints at nearly every single airport in the US wasn't setup to deal with the increased screenings that are now commonplace.

I'll throw ATL under the bus for this thread, especially Concourse D. Too damn narrow to handle the amount of traffic it sees, and gloomy. At least DL has managed to make their concourses look decent.

rwsea

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 5):
The food court in the UA concourse rocks!

Is that new? I went through SFO on UA most recently in summer of 2004, and found the food options quite poor. After a 10 hour flight from London, the only sit-down option was the Crab Pot. Maybe things have changed since then?

I will concede that the UA portion of SFO is much much better than the AA or AS parts of the airport.

777fan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 6):
security checkpoints at nearly every single airport in the US wasn't setup to deal with the increased screenings that are now commonplace.

My recent trips (Jun,Oct,Dec 2005) to ORD (again UA terminal) suggest that they've actually done a decent job snaking the lines around which in turn, have kept waits to a minimum (most of the time).

It took my wife and I about 45 minutes to pass through security on my last trip to LAS (Nov 2005).

777fan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 7):
After a 10 hour flight from London, the only sit-down option was the Crab Pot. Maybe things have changed since then?

If memory serves me correctly, they have the "San Fran Soup Co.", a tex-mex joint, brick oven pizzeria, "healthy" asian place, gourmet dessert place and a deli in addition to a bar/restaurant near gate 82. The food court appears to be new (within the last year and a half). FYI, the Crab Pot place is still there - near the security entrance/exit.

RICARIZA

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:13 am

!! BOG !! But fortunately a major renovation is on its way. There is a whole thread with images and discussions about it:
BOG New Terminal (plans And Images) (by RICARIZA Feb 18 2006 in Civil Aviation)
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

LAX2IADandORD

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:14 am

LAX is in definite need of an overhaul. LAX is frozen in time of sorts and most probably the victim of the recent effort to overhaul it (with a remote mass check in facility, then access to terminals via a train connection). That would have vaulted LAX into the 21st century, but alas that has been squashed in local politics.

Ever pass down the arrivals hallway in T3 and T2? You walk down mosaic covered walls fashioned in 70s Brady Bunch style with stark white floors that blind you by the time you make your way through these exercises in massive unused space. Moving walkways would be great. Anything but what is currently there. There are a couple terminals (6 and 7) which are connected by arrivals level hallways yet have been inexplicably closed for years.

Delta (T5), American (T4) and UA (T7) are passable but also dated. Tom Bradley International is basically an embarrassment. Once you pass security forget about any type of amenity. Business / First Class Lounges are cramped.........

One thing that should never, ever be touched is the Theme Building. That signifies you have arrived in LA and the restaurant "Encounter" is great.

Toulouse

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:15 am

DUB needs an extreme makeover. So far, they've just added bits and pieces here and there, and that's how it looks. The airport is a shambles. Horrible boarding areas (anyone familiar with Pier A will know what I'm no about). The restaurants are awful. Luggage collection area is another typical nightmare, where they've just added on to it and don't seem to have (at least yet) managed to blend in the new part with the old part. Totally over-crowded, and security is a joke. Just too little. I unfortunately also have my doubts regarding the future plans, including more add-ons, at least maybe the second terminal will be something better. Public transport is awful. And the whole "drop-down" area at the departures level is unorganised and I'd even go as far as to say dangerous for pedestrians after the most recent "improvements".

I suppose the growth over the past ten years has been incredible, and the airport is just bursting.

Other airport I use alot: CDG 1 should just be knocked down and rebuilt. Personnally, I love using CDG2.

My local TLS airport is a nice airport, just fine for its market demand. Small, but not too small to be boring.

Haven't visited T4 at MAD but looking forward to it, yet I must admit I must be one of the few that have always liked MAD. (T1, T2 and T3).

I don't really like GVA, but I can't figure out why.

And I love ZRH.
Long live Aer Lingus!

United_fan

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:17 am

The ticketing area in LAS is a mess . Baggage claim is no better. The lines for C/D security get pretty long at times. I do like the videos done by Strip performers while you wait,though.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

nycfly75

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:22 am

The Delta complex at JFK (T2-3). Considering Terminals 1 and 4 and AA are new, Terminal 5 is being rebuilt, Terminal 7 was extensively renovated, the DL complex looks like a relic from an era long gone. I would have including Terminal 6, but its use after Jet Blue transfers to the new Terminal 5 is not clear yet.

B752OS

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:28 am

I would say most of BOS is in need. Aside from terminal A, the US side of terminal B and parts of terminal E, the airport is pretty bad.

Also on the list would be PHL and MIA, for two hub airports, I was not impressed at all, especially with MIA.

My favs are MSP, CVG(DLs main terminal) and PIT.

spartanmjf

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:37 am

PHL without a doubt - ticketing/checkin on one floor, multiple terminals that don't allow easy walks for passengers arriving, bridges and stairways all over the place, and with the exception of the new terminal A, everything is generally shoddy, dirty, and poorly configured for security. Tear it down and start over!
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

northwestEWR

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:49 am

EWR's Terminal A and B really really really need a makeover !! The worst food you could ask for ! Dark and dirty gate areas !

Best would be DTW's NW terminal by a long shot !
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

greaser

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:51 am

DTW is certainly superb after the major overhaul, the floating NWA tram is seriously cool, as they float over the masses in the terminal (the tram is above the terminal floor). Cleaner, nicer restaurants, and that awesome musical light show when going from concourses C to A... bigthumbsup 

SFO was aite when I was there, mostly stayed near the UA gates.

MSP is another aite-r, it's not the cleanest after 9pm, even though the last flights were around 10, mine was delayed till 0045hrs, and so i managed to tour this lonely airport in the cold. kudos to the friendly staff though (NWA).

Midway is in need for some reno, it's got a weird layout, especially in arrivals...
ORD....is that undergoing reno rite now? it's getting old, and quite dreary.
JFK....it's sad to see that TWA terminal has not been taken over yet, but still looks the nicest besides B6's terminal.
ATW...one of the best small airports ive seen in the US, clean, modern, it's like the mini version of the better big ones out there.
NRT....one of the best, in my opinion, along with VHHH,which is absolutely wicked.
Now you're really flying

EWROwznj00

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:01 am

When I was there in April 2004, they looked to be working on those issues. One thing to remember is that the security checkpoints at nearly every single airport in the US wasn't setup to deal with the increased screenings that are now commonplace.

I didn't have a problem with LAS when I was there in September. Check in was very easy, and security wasn't a hassle either. It may have been the time of day I flew in/out as well.
Yes, there is a typo in my username. No need to point it out.

nycfly75

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Greaser (Reply 18):
JFK....it's sad to see that TWA terminal has not been taken over yet, but still looks the nicest besides B6's terminal.

Jet Blue is building a new terminal 5 which includes the landmarked portions of the old TWA Terminal 5.

Tom_EDDF

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:10 am

Airports I like are Munich, Copenhagen, Charlotte and Denver, as well as Hong Kong. I made pretty bad experiences though with MIA (inefficient immigration, dark, dated look, overcrowded), FLL (very cramped, when you have a cruise ship crowed coming in its getting from bad to worse), LAX for the reasons others have already mentioned. Athens is also chaotic, and Barcelona is also quite a mess.

I like Boise Air Terminal for having free wireless internet access, which is great in case United is having delays, as most of the time.

I also sort of like Frankfurt's Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 Concourse A, whereas Concourses B and C are still in need for a makeover, but they are getting there...

[Edited 2006-02-19 01:13:34]

fraspotter

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 am

Quoting Tom_EDDF (Reply 21):
I also sort of like Frankfurt's Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 Concourse A, whereas Concourses B and C are still in need for a makeover, but they are getting there...

I like FRA's Terminal 2 but their Terminal 1 is in need for a major overhaul. Like LHR and LAX, FRA's T1 is dark, dirty and cramped in many places. Can't wait for that new T3 to be built... Big grin

P.S. Does anyone know when they will level all the buildings of the old US Air Force Base to start construction on T3?
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

ASAFA

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:31 am

YVR is a beautiful airport. I love the waterfall as you go down the escalators to immigration.

The new AS terminal in ANC is also stunning. Especially in the summer with the sun is setting at 11:30pm.

LAX needs to be torn down and built from scratch. There is some construction now in Terminal 3 and I believe they will be replacing all of the jetways one by one. The interior of T3 is also being updated. The TWA carpet on the wall is gone... sadly, but the mosaic is still in the tunnel. I for one hope they keep that, because it's now so far outdated that it is actually starting to look contemporary. It would be nice if they could figure out a way to inter-connect all of the terminals and eliminate the ten thousand rental car shuttles that clog World Way.

I agree Tom Bradley is an embarrassment. I shudder to think that so many will get their first impression of Los Angeles and the US from this terminal. It looks more like a prison facility.

SX36

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:01 am

The A concourse and now the new B concourse at SEA are very nice. The rest of the airport (especially the N and S sattilites) are in need of some rennovation. MSP is very nice and now they are expanding the Northland Crossing shopping mall, very nice. GFK is in need of some updating. Between the faux marble floors, plastic chairs, marginal food (but nice people), and perhaps some of the slowest baggage handlers I have ever encountered (but that's NW's fault) there is little good about the airport. The staff are always nice, the airport is impossible to get lost in, and the people at the rental car counters are very nice......but I would think that since I am one of them.

I doubt anything will be done at GFK until NW stabilizes and makes their comeback.......I hope.
NW, the only way out.....

amhilde

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:14 am

RE: LAX

I havent passed through there in a few years now, but I really hope they do something with T3- the bathrooms were horrible and it was a depressing place to be. As for TBIT- I would go hang out there as T3 was so crappy- but Ive never passed beyond security there- is it that bad? And for the mosaic tiles- wasnt there a scene in Airplane! where Ted is pleading to Elaine- and the tiles are right behind him  Smile

LAS to me is still ghetto, regardless of what they do to it every few years. I hate those slots, I hate having to search nearby baggage areas if WN switched on me and didnt put it up on the display, and I hate the slots IN the bag claim- right down the middle while people are all gawping at the large advertisements above. The driving approach is pretty horrible too- thank god I wont have to fly in there anymore.

Favorites:

SEA, YVR, CPH, STN ( to an extent). I like steel, I like it brushed, and I like blond wood. YVR waterfall IS awesome  Smile MKE isnt bad either- a nice little homey airport, though they could use some help in the bag claim area- not big enough!

Definitely need help:

LGW- I had a good experience here last summer as it wasnt the crush that LHR was, but its really looking dated.

VIE- Strange layout and I felt like I was already in Eastern Europe when I left from there. WAAAAYYY too smoky (understandable though I suppose). The waiting lounge for the tiny planes to the East was a little strange, though this was 2001, so maybe they changed it by now.

Is there ANY point in mentioning all that is wrong with CDG?
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly

starguy

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting ASAFA (Reply 23):
LAX needs to be torn down and built from scratch.

It needs to be torn down with all of the rude LAX employees left inside. I can't stand it. I dread any flights through LAX. It feels like a prison!

Cadet57

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting B752OS (Reply 15):
I would say most of BOS is in need. Aside from terminal A, the US side of terminal B and parts of terminal E, the airport is pretty bad.

checkmark 

BDL terminal A needs a revamp, the AA concorse is disgusting, no windows except near the ceilings and 1 food joint.....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

United_fan

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:46 am

SNA is way better than LAX. I only fly to LAX to get on a UA 'heavy'
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

jsnww81

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:05 am

Heathrow, Heathrow, Heathrow.

It's criminal the way BAA manage that place. Passengers make their way from dark, cramped check-in facilities (which are perpetually closed for renovations that never seem to happen), through security checkpoints that are too small, to gate lounges with peeling paint, water spots on the ceiling and, in the case of Terminal 1, restrooms down in the basement.

But don't worry... despite the nasty facilities for passengers and aircraft (which I thought was the whole point of an airport terminal), BAA will make sure you pass through at least one brand-new, beautiful shopping area filled with skylights and every store imaginable. As an added bonus, they won't put your gate number on the screen until about 20 minutes before boarding, to ensure that you stay within their shiny shopping paradise.

Heathrow is an absolute disgrace. The most prestigious international airport in the world, yes, but you'd never know it by looking at it. And yes, Terminal 5 will help things out, but if I were a betting man, I'd guess that BAA are hard at work on plans to mess it up...

"Passengers don't REALLY need moving walkways... let's just cram another Sock Shop and Tie Rack into this concourse."

goCOgo

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 4):
CLE could use a make over add more food outlets. Add more food outlets prior to passing through security.

With the exception of concourse D, the terminal at CLE could use much more than a make over and food. More like a new terminal. Especially A and B. But a remodel would be better than nothing.
"Why you fly is your business, how you fly is ours"

luv2fly

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting GoCOgo (Reply 30):
With the exception of concourse D, the terminal at CLE could use much more than a make over and food. More like a new terminal. Especially A and B. But a remodel would be better than nothing.

Well I was being kind.
You can cut the irony with a knife

chrisrad

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:24 am

MEL International arrivals need a desperate re-furbishment, especially the immigration area.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

scotron11

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 29):

Heathrow, Heathrow, Heathrow.

Have to agree with you there. I'm not a big fan of BAA either. Just a huge "fat cat" which monopolizes airports in London.

Reports are that someone may buy them and break them up. Fingers crossed!

bohica

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:46 pm

The airport which needs to be completely rebuilt is La Garbage. (LGA) Yes I said La Garbage, NOT La Guardia. The main terminal is a dump crammed between rows of outdated hangars. The concourses are very narrow and crowded, especially around security. The concessions suck and they close early. I should know because I walked into the terminal one night at 8:30PM and everything was closed and I was starving. I had to settle for a candy bar at a consession which was closing. Also the control tower is an eyesore which needs to be torn down. All of LGA needs to be demolished and rebuilt from scratch. LGA is an embarassment to NYC.

vegasplanes

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 8):
My recent trips (Jun,Oct,Dec 2005) to ORD (again UA terminal) suggest that they've actually done a decent job snaking the lines around which in turn, have kept waits to a minimum (most of the time).

It took my wife and I about 45 minutes to pass through security on my last trip to LAS (Nov 2005).

In LAS, UA flies out of the D gates, security seems to be always backed up at that check-point. If you want to save time, go through the line for the C gates, once through security, hang a left and go to the second set of trams, those take you to the D gates. Should save you some time as I am forever flying out from the C gates and it never seems to take more than 10 minutes to go through security.

deltaguy767

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:13 pm

Quoting B752OS (Reply 15):

I couldn't agree more, I spotted rats the size of my arm near the AF gates while comming back form CDG, Term. E is a dump along with D and B. C is okay because DL and UA kept it up to shape, but DL's new A terminal is the cream of BOS's crop. Now if only those jerks with their heads up their behinds  butthead  at Massport would let DL have Customs/INS,  banghead  that would be great for them.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 27):
BDL terminal A needs a revamp, the AA concorse is disgusting, no windows except near the ceilings and 1 food joint.....

I have to disagree with you about the DL wing of Term. A, but the US/UA wing could use some cosmetic touch-up's. Terminal. B is disgusting, I haven't been in there since DL left, but my parents say it is still a trash heap over there.

From BDL,  wave 
DeltaGuy767

Happy Flying  smile 
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

flyabunch

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:17 pm

I add my vote to LAX.

I am also a frequent visitor to OAK and it is a real rat hole. Terminal 1 hasn't changed much since I was in college...and that was way long ago. The Terminal 2 is better but its all Southwest. Everyone else operates out of 1.

Terminal 2 at PHX is also terrible. It reminds me of OAK. It must have been designed by the same person. And, it is about as old.

Mike

mikester540

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:19 pm

Terminal B at BDL is in need of a remodelling and IMHO just needs to be torn down...

I'ts dark, moldy and scary looking...

[Edited 2006-02-19 05:19:51]
We need men who can dream of things that never were. -John F. Kennedy

flyingdoc

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:20 pm

I've thought that MEM neeeded some upgrades, particularly the DL gates, but also some of the NW areas.

Agree with some of the other posts: Some parts of LAX are cramped and in need of a re-do, but others are OK (I like term 5 and TBIT), LHR, and LGA.

clipperhawaii

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Considering the amount of traffic that HNL has it is in such a need of a make over it's not even funny. 1970's meets 2006.

Unfortunatly we have to contend with the State of Hawaii and it's inept leaders in the airport division coupled with a State Legislature that has no clue on what it means to have a superb airport.

Wiki wiki buses? Just walk. You will get to your gate before the bus is even scheduled.
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

AASuper80

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting LAX2IADandORD (Reply 11):
Ever pass down the arrivals hallway in T3 and T2? You walk down mosaic covered walls fashioned in 70s Brady Bunch style with stark white floors that blind you by the time you make your way through these exercises in massive unused space.

This is SO true, I couldn't believe it when I was in T3 last summer connecting from an AS to AA flight. I thought the Brady family was going to jump out and start singing! It's really poor for such a major airport.

OAK is also a total dump!!! If you're not flying WN it's really bad!

[Edited 2006-02-19 05:28:21]

Cubsrule

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting FlyingDoc (Reply 39):
I've thought that MEM neeeded some upgrades, particularly the DL gates, but also some of the NW areas

Concourse B at MEM is fine. A & C, not so much. That's what happens at a hub.

I'll add my vote (again) for ATL. It's easy to navigate, but if it's busy, everything from the tunnel that always seems to be about 95 degrees to the too-narrow concourses to the ridiculous 1 story terminal make that place a mess.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

collyw

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:28 pm

Indeed LHR and LAX need revamping.However even on their worst days they are ten times better than Mumbai or Delhi on their best days. These airports are a disgrace and I dread having to go through them.

Carpethead

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Not a single Asian airport on this list so I'll add one.
Osaka Itami - sure it's clean and all but its the same structure since the 1960s. The ceiling is low at some points and not many windows in certain parts of the terminal.
On the plus side it has a greatly refurbished observation deck opened a few years ago though! (But faces the sun most of the day)

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 29):

Totally agree with your comments about LHR.

SFOMB67

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:48 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 5):
The food court in the UA concourse rocks!

I will assume 777fan is refering to the new food court on the F concourse where it splits to the high 70 gates, or the 80's. I just saw it last month when I flew to BUR. Don't remeber it being there last Oct. Think it used to be a bar in the center of the concouse.
Not as easy as originally perceived

jetfuel

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:04 pm

OOL - Doesn't even have airconditioning or air bridges for domestic or international flights. It was out of date when the terminal was buiult 25 years ago
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

zippyjet

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:13 pm

I'll throw ATL under the bus for this thread, especially Concourse D. Too damn narrow to handle the amount of traffic it sees, and gloomy.

I was last in Concourse D last summer. It has been recently rennovated. I'll agree, that is narrow for the hustle and bustle of ATL. It was designed narrower than the other concourses. In '04, I connected through D during the rennovations and the ceiling was being replaced. A/C vents and lights were dangling. Sort of surreal.

MIA is an interesting animal. Concourse G is most definitely an oldie. However, I feel it reminds me of the old time airport designs of the 50's. Sort of nostalgic. I'm wondering if the new AA "World Port" will mess up the original finger concept of MIA?

Now, on to my hometown airport BWI! My concourse D is more than ready for Airport extreme makeover. Though it hails from the early 80's it is dreary looking and harks more of That 70's airport! More food places are coming but, they need to stay open later. In the main ticketing area, the airport was originally designed (this structural expansion opened in 1979) had friezes of the airline's logo above their ticket counters. So, you had rows of the DL widget over DL's ticket counter. Governor Shaeffer back in the late 80's spent millions of our tax dollars and tore out the airline logos and put photographs of Maryland in its place. Great to show off the beauty of our state but, not at the expense of the original design (airline logo friezes!)

I'm overdue to visit my co-workers at DCA. I'm curious to see how DCA has faired; especially the original 1941 section that housed Eastern.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

9VSRH

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:34 pm

Favourites:
Hong Kong: because its clean, modern and its really easy to get around

Singapore: it looks quite old, but it is really effecient, clean and the staff are usually helpful.

Barcelona El Prat: I've only flown in and out of BCN once but it was a fantastic experience. It has a nice modern terminal and is quite fast to get in and out of.

Airports in need of a makeover:
I'm lucky enough to have not been to one yet  Smile

commavia

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:47 pm

AUS: perfect size for the market, close to downtown, modern, great food and rental car facilities

It's my home airport, some I'm a bit biased, but I must agree with you -- Bergstrom's terminal is the absolutely perfect size for the market, and the terminal is so beautiful looking, inside and out, with great facilities and services.

LAX: crowded, outdated, inefficient, dirty, poor layout, employees often rude

I agree with you on this but for AA's Terminal 4. Have you seen it? It is absolutely beautiful -- IMO, one of the nicest terminals in the United States. After five years and hundreds of millions in renovations, the terminal is absolutely world-class, and makes the rest of LAX really look like the piece of *-*- it really is.

HNL: still sporting 1970s architecture, few amenities, wiki wiki (express) bus takes longer than walking!

I know, I know, say what you will, that HNL's terminal is old, outdated, and lacking in amenities, but you must admit -- there's something about the smell of jet fuel and hibiscus flowers in the morning!

Quoting LAX2IADandORD (Reply 11):
Delta (T5), American (T4) and UA (T7) are passable but also dated.

"Passable but also dated?" Delta's T5 and United's T7 I'll give you, but have you actually been in American's T4 since it reopened in 2003 after five years of renovations? It is absolutely world-class -- nothing like the rest of LAX.