NWOrientDC10
Topic Author

Co-worker Flying First Time ... Comments Please

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:20 am

I know I may be violating a.net ettiquette by starting a topic already discussed but I'm going to take a chance. Also, I posted this topic here because I believe this situation is best helped along by aviation professionals and "techies".

I had a conversation with a co-worker who is going to the carribean (Bermuda or Bahamas, not sure) soon but is nervous. She's about in her early to mid twenties or so and had never flown commercially. I explained to her that planes do not just fall out of the sky, how lift "works" using the Bernoulli effect, and that aviation is highly regulated. This seemed to help but she's still a bit nervous.

Since my knowledge of aviation is somewhat limited, I told Miranda about www.airliners.net and that maybe those with more knowledge and experience than I could explain it better.

Any comments and help would be appreciated  Smile.

Thanks very much and good day to all  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

EMBQA

RE: Co-worker Flying First Time ... Comments Please

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:09 am

As the Captain always says.. "Sit back, relax and enjoy the flight"
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Bobster2

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:41 am

This is good: "Ask the Pilot: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel" by Patrick Smith.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

flyf15

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:42 am

I'd guess a lot of nervousness is just her fear of the unknown. She's never had that first hand experience before and its going to be different for her compared with anything else she's ever done. Not much you can do to help that other than tell her to keep an open mind, go into it relaxed, and she'll be fine.