Sabena 690
Topic Author

BMI Offering Free Flights Now!? + Strategy

Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:48 am

Hi all,

I was browsing through a few BMI flights, and was baffled when I saw that BMI are offering domestic flights for 0 GBP + tax  Wow!

I can't believe that their cost base is low enough to afford this kind of fares.

Try for yourself: I found 0 GBP fares for LHR-EDI, 1 GBP for LHR-MAN and 2 GBP for LHR-ABZ (the three domestic destinations I tried). Of course, if you add the taxes, you end up somewhere between 20-25 GBP one way.

I know that there is a big anti-BMI sentiment over here (and, although lot's of arguments are true, some people are really exaggerating in my opinion). However, if an airline has to offer this kind of fares to fill their planes, it's not a good sign I'm afraid.

The only reason why BA can afford a loss-making, or barely break-even European network, is because of the very profitable long haul business they have from LHR. BMI doesn't have this amount of high yielding connecting traffic, so I perfectly understand why they went for a low-cost business model from LHR. However, they made one mistake.

Instead of offering a (lousy) Business Class (on a few routes), and Economy (with BOB), they should have offered two new classes: Economy Class and Premier Economy. Passengers paying for Premium Economy (those who pay for the more expensive Economy Class tickets right now) would end up in this separate section, with a good service, and perks like lounge access, full frequent flyer miles,...

Those who are on cheap tickets would receive what they get right now: a (comfortable 32inch) seat, and a flight to/from a main airport for a good price, with the current BOB product.

In this situation, everybody get's what he/she pays for.

Actually, compare my suggestion of a new service concept with the new concept of BA Connect, with the difference that passengers booking the most expensive tickets would get a complimentary service (this is a big mistake of BA Connect in my opinion).

Unless the opinion of one person in particular on this website, BMI certainly isn't a low-frills carrier (offering a BOB product is not the same yet as being low-frills). I've flown on BMI eight times till now, and have enjoyed all of those flights. Things like a 32inch seat, assistance for all passengers offered by a BMI representative after arrival of every flight, assistance and rebooking options when a flight is cancelled (not the Ryanair "come back tomorrow, for in case that we have a few open seats"-style) ARE frills. There are however a few things I would change:

- change the service concept (like pointed out above)
- change the business model, in terms of destinations/aircraft types. Unless what some people might think, a full A332 from MAN is not necessarily a profitable flight, and longhaul expansion from MAN without offering decent connecting possibilities is not something I would risk. Instead, why not considering adding A319CJ's for niche markets? Don't keep yourself busy with routes like LHR-MUM where there is so much competition, focus on niche routes instead with smaller planes, a good frequency, so that you can justify higher fares
- making flights to Europe profitable from an expensive and slot restricted airport like LHR is difficult. Limit yourself to where money can be made, and use your slots for A319CJ expansion
- looking at the often very cheap fares BMI asks for regional flights in the UK, I can't believe that their BMI Regional operation (with expensive ERJ's) is profitable. BMI can perhaps sell it, or integrate profitable routes with enough potential into BMI Baby (a division I would sell as well).

Only a few thoughts about an airline I still like to fly with! If there is one thing that passengers like, it's clarity. BMI is a complicated mess at the moment, and urgently needs a vision/direction, and clarity. I hope that they will realise that you can't be everything to everyone, before it's too late.

Frederic

[Edited 2006-02-19 17:13:17]

Pe@rson

RE: BMI Offering Free Flights Now!?

Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:57 am

Quoting Sabena 690 (Thread starter):
I can't believe that their cost base is low enough to afford this kind of fares.

They don't.

Quoting Sabena 690 (Thread starter):
Of course, if you add the taxes, you end up somewhere between 20-25 GBP one way.

I've often paid £23-25 one-way, all-inclusive, from MAN to EDI or GLA or vice-versa with BD
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

cosec59

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:01 am

I find BMI one of the most competitively priced airlines for short haul out of LHR. I use them fairly often. They are at times cheaper than easyjet from LGW
Rules are for the obedience of fools but for the guidance of wise men

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:03 am

They have to give away seats to get anyone to fly them these days!

The only thing they can do is compete on price seeing as they have reduced service levels and ailienated their loyal customer base.

padster

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:09 am

They must be desperate !

They have also in the latest CAA figures merged both BMI baby and mainline to hid the awful passenger figures I saw yesturday ...

Just goes to show how much damage happens when you go from being a full frills airline to a LCC without any thought to what the passengers REALLY want.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 1):
I've often paid £23-25 one-way, all-inclusive, from MAN to EDI or GLA or vice-versa with BD

Same here. I flew LHR-MAN-LHR a couple of years ago for £49 or £50 incl tax.

I did the same trip last year using miles, and the tax cost me about £46.

So that's about £3 or £4 for the fare (and this was when they still offered "free meal"  stirthepot  Wink

Oz

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:10 am

They are getting what they deserve. Im sure many of their once loyal business passengers are dying to say 'told you so'.

What next, BMI actually having to pay its customers to fly with them? Big grin

SA7700

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 3):
The only thing they can do is compete on price seeing as they have reduced service levels and ailienated their loyal customer base.

They have lost mine to BA, simply because I don't trust them anymore. IMMHO BD better start doing something drastically positive to win customers back, and giving free seats away is not an option, in order to survive.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

donder10

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:14 am

Frederic,
when are the dates you find these fares for?
Cheers,Alex

cosec59

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:14 am

I think some of the comments are unfair here. I have never had a bad flight nor service with BMI. OK, they no longer offer a meal service onboard, but who needs it on a short haul flight? Not only are some of the fares competeive when compared to easyjet, they offer the ease of an allocated seat and therefore quicker boarding

Pe@rson

RE: BMI Offering Free Flights Now!? + Strategy

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 9):
I have never had a bad flight nor service with BMI.

Neither have I.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting Padster (Reply 4):
Just goes to show how much damage happens when you go from being a full frills airline to a LCC without any thought to what the passengers REALLY want.

I'm afraid that lot's of passengers want cheap fares these days... and that's exactly what BMI is offering these days. And those passengers on cheap fares have to learn that you can't be served a meal when you pay 2 GBP + tax.

The mistake they made, was that they alienated the passengers paying for flexible tickets. That's why I propose an Economy and a Premium Economy section.

Quoting Donder10 (Reply 8):
when are the dates you find these fares for?

There is at least one flight available for 0 GBP on LHR-EDI between 13 and 25 May 2006.

It might be handy to select the 'flexible date'-button when you look for fares, as you immediately get a 14-days overview.

Regards
Frederic

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 10):
Cabin staff are also getting a bit more 'sharp' as a result of reduced staffing, having to try and deliver a BOB product and expalin this and being very stretched playing shopkeeper on a short LHR-BRU flight!

By "sharp" do you mean unfriendly, or just having more to do??? I did the short LHR-MAN hop recently, and they had no trouble getting through the BOB service. Most pax didn't seem that bothered. Afterall if they pay £2 for a one way fare.... what do they expect??

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 9):
I think some of the comments are unfair here. I have never had a bad flight nor service with BMI.

I fully agree!

Yes but they have reduced frequencies on prime routes. Its not just the meal, they now charge for soft drinks and tea and coffee, while their main domestic competitor out oh LHR does not.

Cabin staff are also getting a bit more 'sharp' as a result of reduced staffing, having to try and deliver a BOB product and expalin this and being very stretched playing shopkeeper on a short LHR-BRU flight!

You will never get it I guess?

Frederic

cosec59

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:22 am

while their main domestic competitor out oh LHR does not.

The past few times I flew with BA (due to times) all that was on offer once onboard was tea and coffee. The fares were more expensive than BMI by quite a margin.
The flights were usually delayed on arrival back at LHR due to gate problems. So all in all I would rather fly BMI despite the fact I have to pay for my coffee

weeksyUK

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:23 am

Along the lines of BMI free flights my mate got a return ticket in Y+ from MAN-ORD for £0 + tax - the total fare was £125.90. I think that was a mistake on BMI's behalf though! They have honoured the booking and paper tickets have been sent out.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting Cosec59 (Reply 15):
So all in all I would rather fly BMI despite the fact I have to pay for my coffee

Exactly. And let's face it..... can some people not go 35-40 minutes without a coffee???

When I went back home last year, I flew SYD-BNE-SYD on DJ (a 1.5hr flight). I sat and read. I managed the WHOLE flight with out purchasing a coffee. It was easy... realy it was...

Pe@rson

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 17):
And let's face it..... can some people not go 35-40 minutes without a coffee???

It's the 'flying syndrome' - people wouldn't careless on a coach or a train trip because they're not used to getting anything. But people used to expect food and drink, almost as a right, so they complain nowadays when it's not offered - even on absurdly short trips. I mean, 35-40 mins. You'd do less than 30 miles in a car in that time. Can't you live without a drink or food?

SA7700

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:37 am

Forgive me for asking, but does BD still offer interlining? As I understand the situation, apparently there are issues with interlining as well?

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 18):
I mean, 35-40 mins. You'd do less than 30 miles in a car in that time

Well in London it'd be more like 3 miles..

Can't you live without a drink or food?

Most of us can....... but still there are those who just can't. (or won't!)

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 20):
Can't you live without a drink or food?

Most of us can....... but still there are those who just can't. (or won't!)

They don't have to, as they can purchase a coffee on board.

Frederic

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:49 am

Provided they have the exact correct change and are not in the middle of the cabin where it might be landing time before you get a chance to purchase!

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 22):
Provided they have the exact correct change and are not in the middle of the cabin where it might be landing time before you get a chance to purchase!

Tell me - when was the last time you were on BD where the cabin crew were in the middle of the plane with a trolley of food whilst landing????

I think not. Even BD aren't that bad...

antixx

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 23):
Tell me - when was the last time you were on BD where the cabin crew were in the middle of the plane with a trolley of food whilst landing????

I think not. Even BD aren't that bad...

Agreed - I've been on full flights lately (a rarity these days for bmi) and they've still managed to do the complete BOB service without any problems.

Cabin staff are also getting a bit more 'sharp' as a result of reduced staffing

Lufthansa can do a full service on an A320 with 3 crew, so am sure bmi can cope! The crew probably only get 'sharp' with you as no doubt you moan at them about BOB as much as you do on here!

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Antixx (Reply 24):
The crew probably only get 'sharp' with you as no doubt you moan at them about BOB as much as you do on here!

tapedshut 

Oz

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:01 am

You dare to present a hostie with a £5 note, let alone a £20 and watch her face, looks like shes sucking on a lemon.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 26):
You dare to present a hostie with a £5 note, let alone a £20 and watch her face, looks like shes sucking on a lemon.

I for one, would like to see photographic evidence of this. My £5 was perfectly fine for them.

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:10 am

I cant blame them, they have their work cut out delivering a BOB service to all passengers with less crew members than before and now they have to collect money and give out change to each passenger, and accomplish this in the same time.

I cant blame them for pulling a face when someone offers £10 to pay for a cup of coffee or a bun. Its not their fault, the airline they work for has decided to behave like Ryanair.

But the last BMI stewardess I offered £5 to pay for a cuppa, looked as though I had offered her a urine sample and was just surprised she didnt throw the tea all over me, the look on her face! I reckon she could happily kill Sir Michael for his BOB

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:19 am

Ok then, if BMI's new 'service' concept is so popular and only giving people what they want, why is it they have less passengers and are having to resort to giving away free seats????

Sabena 690
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:25 am

Can we go back to topic please? Criticize BMI is easy, however, nobody has bothered yet to reply to any of the strategical points presented above.

And why not just ignore Orion? Attention is the only thing he wants (and is getting at this point).

Frederic

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:27 am

Actually, My comments were pertinent to your thread Frederik.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 32):
Ok then, if BMI's new 'service' concept is so popular and only giving people what they want, why is it they have less passengers and are having to resort to giving away free seats????

I don't think anyone is saying that the BMI service concept is the most popular thing since sliced bread. However, that IS what theyas a company have decided to go with. Rightly or wronlgly, that's all there is to it.

But what people are starting agree with is that there really is no point in continuing to go on about paying £1.50 for a coffee or tea. For god's sake just let it go. YOU as a consumer have a choice. If YOU don't like it, then use someone else.

And just for the record, lot's of companies (not just airlines) give away seats/products for free to entice more business. Its not exactly a new practice... Some dont advertise it as much that's all..

whitehatter

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting Sabena 690 (Reply 34):
Can we go back to topic please? Criticize BMI is easy, however, nobody has bothered yet to reply to any of the strategical points presented above.

Strange that our resident wailers carry on about BD not being able to fill their aircraft.

I've just been online trying to book some shuttle flights and all that is available is Premium Economy. The back cabins are full, and this isn't a weekday flight either. The only options are £130 each way seats (before tax).

yep, customers deserting them in droves. That's why the planes are full in Tiny and Standard Cattle ticket classes. And why BD are losing money (oh hang on....last time they declared they weren't....) and why their longhauls out of MAN are empty (but again they aren't....)
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:33 am

Who is going to pay BMI's premium economy fare at those prices and then have to put his hand is his pocket for a drink. Premium economy fare, no-frills style service.

egmcman

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 33):
The fact is BMI have lost a lot of their regular passengers and some of this may be due to changes in service levels

To stimulate demand at quiet time of the year. You get what you pay for there's no such thing as a free lunch.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:39 am

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 38):
Strange that our resident wailers carry on about BD not being able to fill their aircraft.

Each time I have used BD they have been next to full down the back, and NOT up the front... So they r still doing something right.

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 38):
yep, customers deserting them in droves. That's why the planes are full in Tiny and Standard Cattle ticket classes. And why BD are losing money (oh hang on....last time they declared they weren't....) and why their longhauls out of MAN are empty (but again they aren't....)

Excellent point. They may not be everyone's cup of £1.50 tea, but they still have pax. And that is what they want/need..

oz

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:41 am

Yes but they may have passengers but low yielding ones. The C class and the business passenger are deserting the airline in their droves.

antixx

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:42 am

Focusing on niche markets would be a good strategy - there is no point in jumping into markets that are already well on the way to being saturated. There was talk of bmi looking at China - a potentially good move - and one of the up and coming Chinese airports had been talking to them, but that all seems to have fallen by the wayside...

Strategy is and continues to be all over the place. I was speaking to a friend at bmi who confirmed that there is definite talk at the Hall to bring back Business Class on the majority of routes (as mentioned in another topic) as they have lost more than expected high yield traffic... Time will tell!

cosec59

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 42):
Yes but they may have passengers but low yielding ones. The C class and the business passenger are deserting the airline in their droves.

So, what do you suggest their strategy for the future should be?

whitehatter

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:43 am

of which you have no proof whatsoever. Stop dressing your own anti-BD prejudice up as fact.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:45 am

I think it may be too late to lure back their loyal customers but I think the abandoment of BOB concept and increasing frequencies on key routes would be a good start.

Also a degree of standadisation would be an idea. Having differing products across the network is confusing and complex.

padster

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 41):

have you had a look at the AEA figures of bmi's passenger load ?

Last month.

61% , down 11% month on month ,

It may be just be luck that the flights you were on were full .

In my latest flights , both c and Y have been very empty, the business lounges are all but deserted ... and the AEA figures also indicate that.

Orion737

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:49 am

As does their increasing financial losses on short haul. An indication that the high yield passengers have switched to their rival BA on domestic flights.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:53 am

The C class and the business passenger are deserting the airline in their droves.

C Class pax must have been doing this prior to scrapping business on most routes, or they wouldn't have scrapped it. This has been discussed way too many times. Businesses now want to spend as little as possible on short-haul travel. So therefore the actual demand (and i do work in a corporate sales environment so I do know this) for short haul C class is much less than it was. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist at all, but demand has dramatically decreased. The routes that still have C class (ie GLA) have a huge C cabin only 1/3 full. Service is a good as it used to be, but price is too high. If they intend to bring it back on all routes... they should be looking at smaller cabin, and increasing Y cabin.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Padster (Reply 47):
61% , down 11% month on month ,

It may be just be luck that the flights you were on were full .

In my latest flights , both c and Y have been very empty, the business lounges are all but deserted ... and the AEA figures also indicate that.

Maybe I was just on full flights. I can only speak as I find, but if the official figures say something else, then that's the case.

I would say though, that the Business lounges are far from empty, the LHR lounge is always heaving, and even the LBA lounge was busy when I was there a few weeks ago, and no C class on that route (to LHR). Must be full of Diamond Club or *A Golds...

padster

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:08 am

I have found LBA only busy on the 7am LHR flight, the other week I was at the CDG lounge going to LBA, a route with C class , I was the only person in there for over 2 hours .

sevenforeseven

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:17 am

VS and BMI a merger made in heaven. It will sure hit BA where it hurts and BA will get what it deserves.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting Sevenforeseven (Reply 52):
VS and BMI a merger made in heaven. It will sure hit BA where it hurts and BA will get what it deserves.

Agreed. When i get my promotion to CEO, I'll make sure it's one of the first things on my agenda...  idea 

Oz

7LBAC111

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 32):
why is it they have less passengers and are having to resort to giving away free seats????

FR give away free seats all the time.
Ford give away free cars when they launch a new model.
Coke build a stand in every shopping centre in the country for a week and give out FREE samples.
McDonalds gave every household in the country £20 worth of FREE food.

You see the point? It's called Market stimulation Orion!  Yeah sure

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 45):
I think it may be too late to lure back their loyal customers but I think the abandoment of BOB concept and increasing frequencies on key routes would be a good start.

And how do you, in your infinite wisdom, propose BMI pay for this? How do they address the passenger numbers lost to the competition at STN, LTN and LGW are creating.?

7L

[Edited 2006-02-19 22:07:11]
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

ozvirginuk

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 53):
You see the point? It's called Market stimulation Orion.

I highlighted this earlier, but the penny still fails to drop.......

oz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos