nycfuturepilot

Aviation Consulting And Law Firms In NYC

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:34 am

I'm considering going into aviation consulting or law and was wondering if anyone knows of any firms that focus on these areas in NYC or the surrounding area?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

nycfuturepilot

RE: Aviation Consulting And Law Firms In NYC

Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:23 pm

If anyone knows any sites that i can look at for more information about this. Also, if anyone knows anything in SE Michigan that i could consider, I'll be in the Ann Arbor area and will go anywhere within a reasonable distance.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

kellmark

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:31 pm

Check Kreindler and Kreindler in NY. They are probably the best known aviation litigation firm in the US.

rjpieces

Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:45 pm

There are MANY aspects of aviation law.

Davis Polk, one of the top law firms in the world, is handling Delta's bankruptcy but you wouldn't become a lawyer there for aviation because 95% of the time you won't be working with airlines. Similiarly, Kirkland Ellis (another top firm) is handling United's bankruptcy (and perhaps some other issues for them if I recall).

As for firms that handle general aviation issues, I'd check out WilmerHale:
http://www.wilmerhale.com/aviation/

Hogan Hartson:
http://www.hhlaw.com/transportation/

Weil Gotshal used to have an aviation-lease finance practice but I can't find it on their site anymore...This lady used to run it:
http://www.weil.com/wgm/pages/Contro...2714B14343919085256B580012DF8D&v=0

Keep in mind that these are all top firms. Are you currently in law school?

Anyhow, if you really want to get a complete list, check out any DOT international route application. When airlines apply to fly a route, their aviation lawyers file it for them. So if you look at an application, you will see who represents them (which firms, and specifically which lawyers). In addition, they always send application requests to their counterparts at other airlines and their lawyers (not sure if this is required or courtesy but they do it). So basically, if you look at one of those applications, you will get a fairly complete list of the most important aviation lawyers in the country. Shoot me an e-mail if you have a problem finding one of those applications and I'll send you a random one.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

nycfuturepilot

Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:58 am

Thanks a lot for all of your help. Anyone know of any consulting firms in the area?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

oneworld1

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Reply 4):

From a European perspective, all the major Finance and Consulting Houses have an aviation branch for consultancy etc. However, that may not be the case in the US.

clipperone

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:24 am

Simat Helliesen & Eichner (airline consultants) is based in NYC. Also offices in:

Boston
Washington, DC
London

Good luck!

nycfuturepilot

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:40 am

Yea, I've heard of them, supposed to be a great company. I think there are a few others but can't think of their names. Thanks for all your help.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

gte439u

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:41 am

You should consider what you want to do exactly with aviation since law firms and consulting companies handle different types of work.

A consulting position will involve more work advising tranportation companies on strategy, marketing and finance.

A law firm position would deal with transactions (eg - filing route application, responding to DOT complaints, Ch. 11) or litigation (eg - lawsuits). You probably would not strategize on whether the carrier should order the A320 or B737.

Keep in mind that a JD can serve you well in both positions due to the unique skills it provides. Moreover, only a JD can practice law (yes, I know that there are rare exceptions).

Personally, I am an engineer but I'll have a JD and MEM in a few years. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Quoting Clipperone (Reply 6):
Simat Helliesen & Eichner (airline consultants) is based in NYC. Also offices in:

Boston
Washington, DC
London

Thank you for that info. I'll add them to my summer job search.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos