keno

Getting To Aqaba, Jordan Via Tabuk Airport, Saudi

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:03 pm

I'll be leaving for Saudi Arabia for work in few days time, based in Jeddah. I'm planning to visit the region once my work is over in 2 months time and Jordan is high on my agenda (in particular Petra + scuba in Aqaba).

I've been checking the fare for JED-AMM flights and they're not cheap! I'm wondering if it makes a good alternative to fly to Tabuk in northern Saudi, then make the overland journey to Aqaba? Return flights JED-Tabuk is SAR 550 return, versus 2-3 times that much if flying direct to AMM. Looking at the map Tabuk is "only" 100km from the Jordanian border, thru the sites that i found on Google it is mentioned that shared taxi is a popular way to get to Jordan.

To those who knows the region well, is my plan too adventurous? Any information regarding Tabuk-Jordan border crossings to Aqaba and its practicalities is greatly appreciated.

HiJazzey

RE: Getting To Aqaba, Jordan Via Tabuk Airport, Saudi

Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:01 pm

Tabuk - Ma'an (closest town to Petra) by car is definitely doable. But I've never heard of shared taxis in Saudi (that's something you see in Egypt). You're better off renting a car from Tabuk airport (I know it is a small airport but it should have one, otherwise pick one up from the town centre). The car will cost you about 80 riyals a day, so you will save money, but it will take you quite a bit longer to get there.

BTW, the diving within Saudi is better than in Jordan. Aqaba is a long way to go when there's great diving around Jeddah!

Check this site out for info regarding diving in Saudi: http://www.scubatravel.co.uk/redsea/divesaudi.html

Also, if you like Petra, you can also check out it's sister city Madain Saleh, which is located halfway between Medina and tabuk

keno

RE: Getting To Aqaba, Jordan Via Tabuk Airport, Saudi

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks mate, appreciate the info.  Smile

HiJazzey

RE: Getting To Aqaba, Jordan Via Tabuk Airport, Sa

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:49 am

No probs, I hope you have a nice stay in Jeddah

Salamat datang (sp?)

[Edited 2006-02-21 16:50:18]