scbriml

A380 Evacuation Test - 26th March

Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:21 pm

As per FI, Airbus has set the date for the A380 evacuation test for Sunday March the 26th.

MSN007 will be fitted with 853 seats for the test!
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

leelaw

RE: A380 Evacuation Test - 26th March

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:09 pm

Perhaps FI got this wrong, I'm mistaken, or plans have changed. I thought MSN002 (F-WXXL) has been in Hamburg since last November being fitted-out with the 853 seat cabin for evacuation testing? We certainly haven't seen a lot of MSN002 since she made her maiden flight last November.

[Edited 2006-02-20 11:21:07]

[Edited 2006-02-20 11:29:49]
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

Poitin

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 1):
Perhaps FI got this wrong, I'm mistaken, or plans have changed. I thought MSN002 (F-WXXL) has been in Hamburg since last November being fitted-out with the 853 seat cabin for evacuation testing? We certainly haven't seen a lot of MSN002 since she made her maiden flight last November.

I've seen both aircraft mentioned for this test, and I have seen repeated statements of AFTER March 26. I suspect this is true as March 26 is a Sunday and who wants to get their church clothes messed up by bailing out of an airplane. THe problem with the timing is to get an aircraft with that many seats in it, requiring a major refit of which ever one they do use. I think they are taking out the galleys and toilets, which makes a 853 pax A380 sound like an interesting situation. However, all this test does is define the maximum number of pax that can be carried.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

Oykie

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:31 am

I hope Discovery will be there capturing this. It will be awesome to watch  Smile
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

leelaw

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 2):
I have seen repeated statements of AFTER March 26. I suspect this is true as March 26 is a Sunday and who wants to get their church clothes messed up by bailing out of an airplane.

I'd think scheduling/conducting the test on a Sunday makes sense because most of the 853 participants and/or the entire pool of participants, don't have to work on Sunday making it a lot easier for them to attend the test?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

A319XFW

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 4):
I'd think scheduling/conducting the test on a Sunday makes sense because most of the 853 participants and/or the entire pool of participants, don't have to work on Sunday making it a lot easier for them to attend the test?

And the test won't disturb the normal workings in Finky which works Monday till Saturday.
I also thought that MSN002 currently getting a cabin in XFW is going to be the one for the evacuation tests.
MSN007 is coming tomorrow and is for long range route proving etc.

PipoA380

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting OyKIE (Reply 3):
I hope Discovery will be there capturing this. It will be awesome to watch

Well, might be, but I've seen evacuation test video of the 777 @ the BA crew training centre, you could see people piling up at the bottom of the slides. Ouch!

Imagine what it looks like at the bottom of the upper deck slides! It's VERY high up there...
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

Poitin

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting OyKIE (Reply 3):
I hope Discovery will be there capturing this. It will be awesome to watch Smile

Only if you enjoy blood sports. This will be bloody. How bad, we will see, but there is no way I would go off the upper slides, which are pitched at 45 degrees.

boeingfanyyz

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:14 am

OK, so what will actually happen during the evacuation test? How will they know if it is succesful? Time? Potential injury?

Any info is appreciated.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting PipoA380 (Reply 6):
Well, might be, but I've seen evacuation test video of the 777 @ the BA crew training centre, you could see people piling up at the bottom of the slides. Ouch!

Happens every time.

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 8):
OK, so what will actually happen during the evacuation test? How will they know if it is succesful? Time? Potential injury?

They have to get everyone out in 90 seconds. Injury's caused by use of the slides don't count against you, because a broken ankle is better then being burnt to death.

boeingfanyyz

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 9):
They have to get everyone out in 90 seconds

Holy smokes (no pun intended!)! 90 seconds! That seems quite un-realistic. Well, I guess if the folks from AF at YYZ can do it without getting burnt to death, I'm sure they'll probably be able to figure it out.

By the way, it seems somewhat stupid to have slides coming from the exit doors in the upper level. Are there slides on the upper level?

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

Poitin

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:28 am

The rules are simple. The desired number of people to be tested get into an airplane in a darkened but not completely blacked out hanger. Half of the doors available are selected, deployed and secured. Then 853 people who must be a certain per centage female, over age 65 and other parameters are told "GO"

They have 90 seconds to get out. Not a real test as there will be no babies, really old people, people in wheelchairs, or drunks, but those are the rules.

Since the rules are the same for all aircraft, they are about as fair as they can be, and although perhaps not real. However, them is the rules, more or less.

My concern is the upper deck slope at 45 degrees and I foresee bloodshed on them. I pray I am wrong. I hope I am wrong, but we will see.

boeingfanyyz

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:30 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 11):

Thanks for the details.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 

Poitin

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 12):
Thanks for the details.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz airplane

They are rough and approximate, but give the flavor. If you want more details
I can find them for you, as I have posted them on other threads. The rules are actually quite fair, given the gravity of the test. You may or may not make it out of a situation for totally other reasons -- you may have seconds, or many minutes, depending on so many other factors. So the test is what is is.

aeropiggot

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:57 am

I participated in the 777 evacuation test, (the first one) I heard it was repeated due to time exceedance. It is true we did board the airplane in the dark, as they put up black curtains around the entrance ramp. We evacuated via the slides in a darken hanger, with spot lights, and some one did hit me in the back with their foot as I hit the bottom of the slide...but no harm done. I also believe that baggage was spilled along the isle??? Can't remember though, this was back in 1995 I believe.

Was a lot of fun for me and I did get a free meal out of it.
A scientist discovers that which exists, an engineer creates that which never was.

Elton

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:09 am

Awesome ! 853 people, simply amazing. Good luck to them all....

elton
GP-4

Elton

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:10 am

What if, just if, after all the work, they can't make the evacuation test a success??

elton

Poitin

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting Elton (Reply 15):
Awesome ! 853 people, simply amazing. Good luck to them all....

Let us pray that no one is seriously hurt. In the past, people have been crippled.

Quoting Elton (Reply 16):
What if, just if, after all the work, they can't make the evacuation test a success??

They can retest once more and then reduce the max number of PAX and test at the lower number. What ever they pass with is the MAX number of Pax they can claim in their adverts. In reality, the common 555 number should be a piece of cake,so it is only the LLCs with their 28 in pitch seats who will suffer.

Maybe it is just as well if the test fails, as I might end up on one of those flights.  Smile

However Airbus will no longer have a 853 pax airplane, although I doubt any more than 850 seats will ever be used as those last 3 seats require a new FA. (the Rule of 50).

EMBQA

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:41 am

The people enter much like through a jetway so they have no clue as to their suroundings. Half the doors are set to fail and no one knows which doors. The windows are blacked out or the test hangar is dark. The cabin lights fail, emergancy lighst come on and everyone has 90 seconds to get off... from half the doors..!! Injurys must be kept to 'walking wounded' or they are not counted. If you saw '20th Century Jet- The Boeing 77' this bit Boeing as someone broke their ankle and they did not count them..... which forced Boeing to drop the certifided head count by one.

So, what does this mean for Airbus..? The command will be given to evacuate, the stop watches are started and the number of people that are off in 90 seconds will be the certified head count the A380 can carry...period. Airbus will have the option to re-test if the numbers are not to their liking. The big test in my mind will be the upper deck seats. If anyone 'freezes' and refuses to go... then blocks up the doors that will hamstring the headcount.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

joness0154

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 18):
If anyone 'freezes' and refuses to go... then blocks up the doors that will hamstring the headcount.

No one will freeze for very long. They'll be pushed out. Thats the FA's job along with the guy behind him.
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

AMSSFO

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 19):
If anyone 'freezes' and refuses to go... then blocks up the doors that will hamstring the headcount.

No one will freeze for very long. They'll be pushed out. Thats the FA's job along with the guy behind him.

Besides, the upper part of the slide from the upper deck has a cover, so you can't see the floor deep, deep down.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:57 am

If you saw '20th Century Jet- The Boeing 77' this bit Boeing as someone broke their ankle and they did not count them..... which forced Boeing to drop the certifided head count by one.

Not true, but it does make good television. The 777-200 is certified to carry 440 passengers and the -300 500 or 550 passengers depending on the number of FA's. About 5 percent of the evacuees are expected to suffer injuries.

Crosswind

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:15 am

..!! Injurys must be kept to 'walking wounded' or they are not counted. If you saw '20th Century Jet- The Boeing 77' this bit Boeing as someone broke their ankle and they did not count them..... which forced Boeing to drop the certifided head count by one.

The count was reduced by one in that test because a volunteer baulked at the door and refused to exit the plane via the slide. I think he/she was eventually persuaded to exit, but due to the delay they did not get out within 90 seconds and the evacuation count was reduced to one less than the total number of people on the aircraft. The guy who was injured is shown, but he wasn't cited as the reason for the reduced passenger count.

Regards
CROSSWIND

PVD757

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:28 am

I have a question - if they can't certify for 853 people, do they keep taking people off until they meet the 90 second rule? I was thinking they would just have to limit the amount of people an airline could carry going forward if it doesn't certify at this amount.

redflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:40 am

Half the doors are set to fail and no one knows which doors.

I wonder if they will consider blocking a majority of the lower deck doors. It would be interesting to see how fast or how many people will migrate to the upper deck to get out.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

A319XFW

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 24):
I wonder if they will consider blocking a majority of the lower deck doors. It would be interesting to see how fast or how many people will migrate to the upper deck to get out.

Originally it was tried to get both decks certified seperately, but the authorities wouldn't accept that.
But from what I've read in Flug Revue etc the stairs shouldn't be used.
Who knows if some people decide to try and run down them to get out though.

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 23):
I have a question - if they can't certify for 853 people, do they keep taking people off until they meet the 90 second rule? I was thinking they would just have to limit the amount of people an airline could carry going forward if it doesn't certify at this amount.

They will count how many passengers got off in the 90 seconds. That number is used in the investigation as to why the rest of the passengers did not exit in the allotted time. If as stated by Crosswind in Replay 22 a passenger blocked a door, or as in the case of one test I read about. One door had no one use it for 38 seconds because a lot of passengers went to the wrong door. The regulatory agencies and the manufacture will then determine that the test was successful, the test was a failure and has to be staged again or will use analysis to determine the maximum number of people that can ever be expect to get out of the aircraft in 90 seconds and that number will be the aircraft capacity.

Note: Should the test required to be repeated the same group of volunteers can not be used, unless the retest is held more than six months after the first test. The rules are that a volunteer can only participate in an evacuation test once every six months.

redflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:55 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 25):
But from what I've read in Flug Revue etc the stairs shouldn't be used.

I think that's a little unrealistic. After all, if the plane ever ditches in water or even experiences any kind of crash landing, chances are the lower deck doors will be blocked or unusable since they will be closer to the ground and, therefore, more likely to be damaged or blocked by outside debris or other structures.

IMHO, evacuation tests should be conducted not just horizontally but, in the case of the 380, vertically since it's possible to do so. No one would nix the idea of blocking all the doors at the front of a standard fuselage and forcing everyone to exit from the rear doors. So why not block all (or most) of the doors on one deck of a multi-level fuselage and force everyone to go up?

Markhkg

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 27):
chances are the lower deck doors will be blocked or unusable since they will be closer to the ground and, therefore

What makes the upper deck slide/rafts any better in that situation? If there is debris on the ground, it may puncture the slide regardless if it is an upper deck or lower deck exit...if something was blocking a lower deck exit, it could block the upper deck exit too.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

scbriml

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting Poitin (Reply 7):
but there is no way I would go off the upper slides, which are pitched at 45 degrees.

I think you would if the only alternative was a horrible death. yes 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

redflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:38 pm

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 28):
What makes the upper deck slide/rafts any better in that situation? If there is debris on the ground, it may puncture the slide regardless if it is an upper deck or lower deck exit...if something was blocking a lower deck exit, it could block the upper deck exit too.

That is a good point. But you're not going to convince me that if the lower deck were rapidly filling with water after ditching that I'm going to just stand there and try to force my way out of a blocked exit. Instinct would dictate that the way to survive is to move upstairs in order to find a more suitable perch from which to exit, or at least to buy more time.

Just think of last year's disastrous tsunamis...when the follow-on waves came crashing into the hotels and other buildings, in what direction do you think most people inside moved in order to save themselves, horizontally or vertically?

And let's face it: if debris, either manmade or natural, is blocking the lower deck exits, one has a better view from up above as to whether or not they can get around them or over them. After all, if one is in a rush to get out and the door is blocked, they're going to go in the most natural direction -- up. Besides, if a fire were to start, chances are it's going to start on the lower deck, which will be closer to the fuel tanks and fuel lines. Again, instinct will push people to get away -- including moving up -- if they panic and the doors on the lower deck are blocked.

Markhkg

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:51 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 30):
Again, instinct will push people to get away -- including moving up -- if they panic and the doors on the lower deck are blocked

I think you bring up an important issue for why cabin crew are so important! Their assertive nature to get the pax out the best exit-- and not the exit the pax thinks is best--will be essential in saving lives. If everyone went up, that would be HORRIBLE as it would cause a bottleneck...and, well, if everyone also tried go down the stairs, that would also be horrible since a bottleneck would occur.

RELEASE SEAT BELT, LEAVE EVERYTHING, COME THIS WAY! HEY, YOU TRYING TO GO UP THE STAIRS, THIS WAY YOU TWIT!  Smile

I wonder what the floating dynamics of an A380 are.

RichardPrice

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 30):
That is a good point. But you're not going to convince me that if the lower deck were rapidly filling with water after ditching that I'm going to just stand there and try to force my way out of a blocked exit. Instinct would dictate that the way to survive is to move upstairs in order to find a more suitable perch from which to exit, or at least to buy more time.

Just think of last year's disastrous tsunamis...when the follow-on waves came crashing into the hotels and other buildings, in what direction do you think most people inside moved in order to save themselves, horizontally or vertically?

And let's face it: if debris, either manmade or natural, is blocking the lower deck exits, one has a better view from up above as to whether or not they can get around them or over them. After all, if one is in a rush to get out and the door is blocked, they're going to go in the most natural direction -- up. Besides, if a fire were to start, chances are it's going to start on the lower deck, which will be closer to the fuel tanks and fuel lines. Again, instinct will push people to get away -- including moving up -- if they panic and the doors on the lower deck are blocked.

In all these cases, how would a single deck aircraft perform? Wouldnt an A380 with its double decks be safer than any single deck aircraft? In all of these cases I would consider the potential use of the upper deck as a bonus, but not one that seriously needs to be considered in certification.

BestWestern

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:38 pm

On March 26th TLS just happens to be hosting the Anorexic Contortionist Sprinters and sky divers association annual get together.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

noelg

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:47 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 33):
On March 26th TLS just happens to be hosting the Anorexic Contortionist Sprinters and sky divers association annual get together.

Good job the test's in Finkenwerder then!  Wink

redflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 32):
Wouldnt an A380 with its double decks be safer than any single deck aircraft? In all of these cases I would consider the potential use of the upper deck as a bonus

You're absolutely right, it would be like a bonus. And that was my whole point. When people panic, they will often times follow the path of least resistance away from the perceived danger.

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 32):
but not one that seriously needs to be considered in certification.

Again, you may be right. But that also could be why the FAA wouldn't allow the certification to be conducted by evacuating the two floors separately. Maybe they wanted to see how many people would go for the stairs to evac from a separate deck.

Markhkg

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 35):
You're absolutely right, it would be like a bonus. And that was my whole point.

Somehow I'm not buying the whole "it's safer" thing because it gives you "more options". Consider a situation when you have an evacuation slide failure due to fire or extreme damage that results in fusulage failure. If the slides fail (burned, premature activiation, etc.), at least on the lower-deck exits you can jump to the ground. You might break a leg, but at least it's not TOO far up. But if you were at an upper deck exit, and that slide failed, there is no way in heck you can jump without serious injury.

The key example I am thinking about is SQ 006, when a B747 in Taiwan hit machinery when taking-off, resulting in severe damage to the aircraft. One of the two upper deck exits were destroyed in the fire only 1 slide and the staircase. The cabin crew member who opened these exits actually died in the accident. On the lower deck, passengers and crew were at least able to escape in breaks in the aircraft, even though many of the lower-deck slides were destroyed by the post-crash fire.

[Edited 2006-02-22 18:19:56]

TaromA380

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Scbriml (Thread starter):

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 1):
Perhaps FI got this wrong, I'm mistaken, or plans have changed. I thought MSN002 (F-WXXL) has been in Hamburg since last November being fitted-out with the 853 seat cabin for evacuation testing?

Quoting Poitin (Reply 2):
I've seen both aircraft mentioned for this test

Exactly. They need two aircraft, because for realistic purpose, they will set up fire to the test frame, at the beginning of the evacuation process. Thus, if the test is to be done again, for whatever reason, they will have the second frame.

leelaw

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting TaromA380 (Reply 37):
They need two aircraft, because for realistic purpose, they will set up fire to the test frame, at the beginning of the evacuation process. Thus, if the test is to be done again, for whatever reason, they will have the second frame.

Surely, you're attempting to make a joke?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

jorge1812

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:45 am

Read on the web that an A-380 just landed at Hamburg for evacuation tests.
http://www.airliners.de/news/news.php?articleid=7667 (only in German)

So not the one which is currently at XFW will be used for the test. Anyone knows which one arrived at HAM?

Georg.

jorge1812

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:37 am

Quoting Scbriml (Thread starter):

To clarify the discussions. I read in a Hamburg Spotter Forum that MSN 007 arrived for the test at XFW today.

Georg

A342

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:54 am

Actually, the crew included, it will be 873 persons on the aircraft.

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 38):
Quoting TaromA380 (Reply 37):
They need two aircraft, because for realistic purpose, they will set up fire to the test frame, at the beginning of the evacuation process. Thus, if the test is to be done again, for whatever reason, they will have the second frame.

Surely, you're attempting to make a joke?

Of course he is. But I´ve read that there will be artificial smoke.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

leelaw

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:55 am

AFAIK, MSN002 (F-WXXL) has been at XFW since November 8 being fitted out with the 853 passenger seat cabin for evacuation testing which is now set to commence on March 26. My understanding is MSN007 (F-WWSD), which arrived at XFW today, is slated to get a more conventional interior (approx. 500 seats) for route proving tests.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

jorge1812

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:47 pm

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 42):
AFAIK, MSN002 (F-WXXL) has been at XFW since November 8 being fitted out with the 853 passenger seat cabin for evacuation testing which is now set to commence on March 26. My understanding is MSN007 (F-WWSD), which arrived at XFW today, is slated to get a more conventional interior (approx. 500 seats) for route proving tests.

Quoting Jorge1812 (Reply 40):
To clarify the discussions. I read in a Hamburg Spotter Forum that MSN 007 arrived for the test at XFW today.

Two different oppinions, hope we can find out which plane will be used.

Georg

knoxibus

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 pm

OK, to make things clear:

- MSN 002 is currently being fitted with cabin interiors (all seat and galley suppliers). There is a cabin virtual first flight scheduled 29th March, so I doubt in three days they'll be able to shove out 853 Y/C seats and reinstall a normal cabin layout.

- MSN 007 just arrived in XFW. This one will do the evacuation tests. This has been decided since....2003.

Both aircraft will also participate in Early long flights / route proving.
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

leelaw

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting Knoxibus (Reply 44):
OK, to make things clear:

- MSN 002 is currently being fitted with cabin interiors (all seat and galley suppliers). There is a cabin virtual first flight scheduled 29th March, so I doubt in three days they'll be able to shove out 853 Y/C seats and reinstall a normal cabin layout.

- MSN 007 just arrived in XFW. This one will do the evacuation tests. This has been decided since....2003.

Both aircraft will also participate in Early long flights / route proving.

Thanx for the clarrification.

IIRC, that's a clear change of the plan that was announced at the time of the program delay last summer. At that time, MSN002 was scheduled to commence the evacuation testing in January, and the aircraft would be ready to join the flight test program in early March. Subsequently, there were news reports that the evacuation test schedule had slipped into March because delivery of the specialized cabin fittings necessary to conduct the tests had been delayed.

Has MSN002 been sitting on the ground at XFW since November 8th awaiting cabin fittings other than for evacuation testing? Perhaps Airbus decided to fit out MSN002 with a conventional cabin, and substitute MSN007 for the evacuation testing to prevent wasting any more flying time?

[Edited 2006-02-23 13:35:16]
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

knoxibus

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 45):
that's a clear change of the plan that was announced at the time of the program delay last summer

Might be, but the cabin layouts for the evacuation tests that I have date back to mid-2003 and are for MSN 007  Smile

Has MSN002 been sitting on the ground at XFW since November 8th awaiting cabin fittings

Indeed, but this is the first time this a/c is fitted with the cabin, tons of tests to be carried out. Especially that all cabin items suppliers are on both aircraft, makes the configuration management very interesting  banghead .
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.

skymaster

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:32 am

Wonder if there were any photographers in XFW when F-WWSD (cn007) landed yesterday. I was planning to be there, but could not get a confirmed landing time. Hope some pictures will show up soon.

A319XFW

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:44 am

Someone did link to pics in another thread.
But can't find them now, sorry!

Nothing spectacular though.
Landing in direction of 05 and a few puffs of smoke from the tires, quite a short landing run, taxi to the end of the runway, turn and back to the A380 part of the airfield Big grin

AMSSFO

Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:33 am

IIRC, that's a clear change of the plan that was announced at the time of the program delay last summer. At that time, MSN002 was scheduled to commence the evacuation testing in January, and the aircraft would be ready to join the flight test program in early March. Subsequently, there were news reports that the evacuation test schedule had slipped into March because delivery of the specialized cabin fittings necessary to conduct the tests had been delayed.

Has MSN002 been sitting on the ground at XFW since November 8th awaiting cabin fittings other than for evacuation testing? Perhaps Airbus decided to fit out MSN002 with a conventional cabin, and substitute MSN007 for the evacuation testing to prevent wasting any more flying time?

That's what I remembered as well. In Aircraft Technology Engineering & Maintenance from June/July 2005 ( http://www.aviationindustrygroup.com/index.cfm?format=953 )there was a table with this info on MSN 002:"MSN 002 Flight test aircraft.Third aircraft to fly.Will be delivered to Hamburg later this year and will be used first for evacuation tests, then fitted with working cabin (including Thales IFE) for “early long flights” and then for route proving.Will be refurbished and delivered to Etihad." and "this aircraft will be flown to Hamburg. Its first task will be to
support the emergency evacuation test, to be conducted this summer in
the Hamburg paint hangar. Airbus is recruiting 1,100 volunteers — “passengers”, reserves and safety crews — for the test, which will involve 853 passengers: 538 on the main deck, 315 on the top deck. This will simulate a short-haul, highdensity" (at that time the evacuation test was still planned for summer 2005; it has been postponed several times due to the general 6 months delay and now again until March.

and this on MSN007: "MSN 007 Fourth test aircraft to fly, second with working cabin (Panasonic IFE).Will be used for route proving, and later re-engined with GP7200 engines to join MSN 009 for GP7200 routeproving. Will revert to Trent power and be refurbished for Etihad."

So plans are changed