keesje

Airbus & Russia In Talks On $25 Billion New Jet

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:14 am

Airbus is in talks with Russia on forming a $25 billion partnership to develop a new aircraft.

- $20 billion for the development of this new passenger plane,
- $3 billion in parts orders for Airbus's new A350 airliner
- $2 billion for converting single-aisle passenger planes into cargo carriers

The homefleet is rusting, they have the resources (e.g. titanium / skilled people) and national income /welfare / travel is growing (oil / gas exporter )

Logical movements IMO

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...0085&sid=apUflIVvpQ0Q&refer=europe
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

A319XFW

RE: Airbus & Russia In Talks On $25 Billion New Jet

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Keesje (Thread starter):
$20 billion for the development of this new passenger plane,

That sounds a bit much.. That's around 50% more than the A380 development costs! Someone is being a bit optimistic there I think.

timboflier215

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:44 am

is that $20 billion for the development of just one new aircraft, or is it for the development of new airbus jets over the next years/decades??

DfwRevolution

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 1):
That's around 50% more than the A380 development costs! Someone is being a bit optimistic there I think.

Actually, $20 billion USD is more than the A380 development cost.

That must be for several aircraft. The B777 and A380 were around $15 billion each, the B787 will total around $8 billion, and the A350 around $5 billion. Aircraft are expensive, but not that expensive. Russia even has a sophisticated aerospace industry already established.

md90fan

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting Keesje (Thread starter):
- $2 billion for converting single-aisle passenger planes into cargo carriers

I guess this is for the A320F  Smile
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

keesje

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:28 am

$20 million seems a lot indeed for a new aircraft, probably a typo however everyone is repeating it.. http://www.moscowtimes.ru/stories/2006/02/22/044.html

I wonder what size of aircraft it would be. 250-300 seems unlikely, less then 200 seats seems covered by an array of aircraft types such as the MS-21.

Something medium capasity & range optimized to cover domestic routes and Europe?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

timboflier215

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:19 am

well, if the news is true, it probably just signifies that airbus and russia are going to work closer together on future projects. i dont think itll be for the development of just one new airliner. or it could be a typo. or a false rumour. lol.

lehpron

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 1):
That sounds a bit much.. That's around 50% more than the A380 development costs! Someone is being a bit optimistic there I think.

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 3):
Actually, $20 billion USD is more than the A380 development cost.

Quoting Keesje (Reply 5):
$20 million seems a lot indeed for a new aircraft, probably a typo however everyone is repeating it..

**cough** cough** supersonic** cough  Wink
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

flydreamliner

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:05 pm

I don't think I believe it. Airbus doesn't yet have enough orders for A380 to break even, or even half as many orders as they need. Will they eventually get them, probably. But they still have to finish off all the odds and ends with that aircraft. They have to develop the A350 and make it attractive against what looks like a phenomenal competitor in 787, and they have to develop an A320 replacement. I don't see where the spare 25 billion in development cash comes from. Neither Russia nor Airbus has a ton of spare change to throw around on a huge gamble.

And right now, with $60+ oil prices, airlines don't care about getting there sooner, they care about burning less fuel doing it. A supersonic jet will never get the same fuel economy that the best subsonics get per passenger mile. As a result, the market for these aircraft will be small, certainly small enough they'd never turn a profit enough to offset the largest (by far) development cost of any civil airliner. Boeing had SoniCruiser, which would get the same fuel economy as 767, and move 30% faster. No one cared. They had that thing ready to go. They could revive it without much trouble. They never pursued it because of lack of interest.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos