Dulles Prepares To Start Work On Fourth Runway

http://www.bizjournals.com/industrie...2006/02/20/washington_daily12.html

halls120

RE: Dulles Prepares To Start Work On Fourth Runway

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting KarlB737 (Thread starter):
Courtesy: Washington Business Journal

Dulles Prepares To Start Work On Fourth Runway

Now if they would just do something about the crappy C/D terminal, it would be an excellent airport.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Boeing7E7

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 1):
Now if they would just do something about the crappy C/D terminal, it would be an excellent airport.

That's coming. Soon.

http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/d2_dulles_development_2/d2_home

Midway737

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:09 am

Was there suppose to build new concourse south of Concourse C/D??

halls120

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting Boeing7E7 (Reply 2):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 1):

That's coming. Soon.

I've been hearing that for what, the last 10 years? When the long awaited light rail is finished, that will be huge improvement, but the C/D refurbishment is long overdue, and the current terminal is an embarassment.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

potomac

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 pm

yes, 10 yrs is about right. and you are suggesting the timeframe from initial master plan to project completion is often much shorter? iad outgrew itself rapidly bcs it has been so successful. you cant just play catch up with increased air service just like that, with planning, EIS, funding, and construction, to say nothing of the delays that came after 9/11.

halls120

Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting Potomac (Reply 5):
yes, 10 yrs is about right. and you are suggesting the timeframe from initial master plan to project completion is often much shorter? iad outgrew itself rapidly bcs it has been so successful. you cant just play catch up with increased air service just like that, with planning, EIS, funding, and construction, to say nothing of the delays that came after 9/11.

I recognize that projects of this scope take time. First they had to expand the main terminal. They desperately need a light rail system. But why twp years ago did they expand the underused by comparison B terminal (down at the west end) when the C/D is filled past capacity and falling apart?

potomac

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:00 pm

concourse B was always in demand for the very reason that C/D was "full," and due to the lack of gate space elsewhere. a 2nd west extension of B is underway and, given the fact that some aircraft still park on the hardstand, it is very likely that those gates will be used quickly. there is no doubt that the replacement C/D is needed, but rebuilding C/D first would not have added additional gate space to meet the immediate demand.