Clipped Wings/What Could Have Been

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:07 am

Just came across this article, sorry if it's been discussed before:

http://www.flightinternational.com/A...05/12/20/203709/Clipped+wings.html
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

redflyer

RE: Clipped Wings/What Could Have Been

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:33 am

Good article. Thanks for posting, Leelaw.

It reminded me of why I've always thought the 380 was not a market-driven aircraft. I remember how MD had trouble finding adequate backing in the financial markets to launch its fabled MD12. Obviously no one believed the market existed to justify the airplane. Yet Airbus, with government backing, went ahead and launched the 380. And people say its "launch aid" does not distort. - I'm sure I'll get flamed for this -

Also on the Sonic Cruiser, I can't believe anyone would think that it was intended to be smoke-and-mirrors to cover up Boeing's real intentions. Boeing mentioned the Sonic Cruiser plenty of times in its financial statements. I don't think they would take a risk like that just to be deceptive. Of course, who am I to judge their ethical standards. They did, after all, get caught red-handed in ethics scandals a couple of years ago.
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

PanAm747

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:33 am

I don't recall seeing it discussed before....

Interesting that most of the projects discussed came from the high-flying late 1960's - before fuel costs were anything anyone ever discussed.

Remember that the 747 had an upper level flight deck because it was believed that by 1975 everyone would flying SST's, and all 747's would be converted to cargo carrying. We all know what became of THAT concept...

Also, this was the age where manufacturers would offer a product, and airlines would design service around that. Was Boeing the first to do the reverse with their 777? Use customer input to design the plane?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jacobin777

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 1):
It reminded me of why I've always thought the 380 was not a market-driven aircraft. I remember how MD had trouble finding adequate backing in the financial markets to launch its fabled MD12. Obviously no one believed the market existed to justify the airplane. Yet Airbus, with government backing, went ahead and launched the 380. And people say its "launch aid" does not distort. - I'm sure I'll get flamed for this -

what I found rather cool was how the A380 looks almost exactly like the old MD12.....

in theory, you are correct, and I do agre with you, but what the A380 supporters would say is that what the A380 offers now is better economics than the MD12 did back then..........expecially with better/lighter/more cost efficient alloys and composites/better engines, etc.
"Up the Irons!"

redflyer

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:23 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
what I found rather cool was how the A380 looks almost exactly like the old MD12

Especially the cockpit mounted between the two floors!
My other home is in the sky inside my Piper Cherokee 180.

Daleaholic

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:36 am

I'd never seen the MD12 before this! looks a lot sleeker than A380.

http://www.techno-science.net/illustration/Aero/A380/Projets/MD12.jpg
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

CruzinAltitude

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting RedFlyer (Reply 4):
Especially the cockpit mounted between the two floors!

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 5):
looks a lot sleeker than A380.

I could not agree more, where the A 380 looks like a hump back whale, the MD 12 looks more like a bullet with a flight deck!