bigdrewfl

Jetblue To Start Service To PWM Portland Maine

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:38 pm

JETBLUE GIVES FOUR MAINE REASONS TO FLY TO PORTLAND

Four Daily Flights From New York’s JFK Begin May 23

Fares Start at $59(a) each way

NEW YORK, (Feb. 23, 2006) - JetBlue Airways Corp. (Nasdaq: JBLU), New York’s hometown airline, will offer the only low-fare, nonstop flights between New York and Portland, ME beginning May 23, with four daily nonstop flights. Fares will range between $59(a) and $129(a) each way, saving customers approximately 70% from today’s high fares. Customers can save an additional $5 each way by purchasing online at www.jetblue.com.

“We can think of four Maine reasons customers will want to try our new Portland service,” said David Neeleman, JetBlue’s Chairman and CEO. “First, our low fares; second, the great JetBlue experience our customers have come to expect; third, it’s the only nonstop service between JFK and Portland; and fourth, Portland customers now have new low-fare connecting service to 30 other JetBlue destinations.”

“JetBlue’s news is great news for Maine,” said Governor John E. Baldacci. “New York is one of our strongest markets for Maine businesses and tourism. With new low cost easy connections to Europe through JFK airport in New York, Portland’s Jetport is poised for exciting growth. I’m honored to welcome JetBlue to Maine.”

“It gives me great pleasure to announce that JetBlue will be serving Maine’s flying public,” said Senator Olympia Snowe. “JetBlue is a model of 21st century commercial aviation, combining low fares and extraordinary service. I look forward to their continued success, both in Portland and across America.”

"JetBlue is a strong airline with an excellent reputation for customer service,” said Senator Susan Collins. “Its decision to begin service from the Portland Jetport to New York’s JFK airport is exciting news for Maine air passengers who are looking for a low-cost alternative and will surely prove to be a welcome boost to the State’s economy. I join so many others in welcoming JetBlue to Maine!”

"JetBlue's decision to come to the Portland Jetport is great news for Maine,” said Congressman Tom Allen. “A low cost carrier that provides regular service to JFK will be a boon to the Maine economy and will enhance national and international business opportunities for Maine businesses. I commend the efforts of JetBlue CEO David Neeleman, Jetport Manager Jeff Schultes, Mayor Jim Cohen, and all of the business and community leaders who helped bring about this exciting business development."

"I'd like to congratulate JetBlue Airways and welcome them to Maine,” said Congressman Mike Michaud. “Increasing the number of affordable flights in Maine will boost tourism and give Mainers more choices in air travel, so I'm very pleased with this announced expansion."

“Portland is excited to be working with JetBlue Airways, a premiere low-cost carrier and the positive impact it will have on Portland,” said Mayor James I. Cohen.

“The introduction of new JetBlue service to the Portland International Jetport is vitally important to our business community and all of Maine,” said Jeff Schultes, Portland Airport Manager. “We’re looking forward to a long lasting partnership with them.”

JetBlue's Schedule (effective May 23, 2006):

New York, NY (JFK) to Portland, ME (PWM)
Portland, ME to New York, NY

Depart – Arrive
Depart - Arrive

9:30am – 10:45am
7:15am – 8:30am (effective 5/24/06)

2:05pm – 3:20pm
11:20am – 12:35pm

5:35pm – 6:50pm
4:00pm – 5:15pm

8:50pm – 10:05pm
7:25pm – 8:40pm

bigdrewfl

RE: Jetblue To Start Service To PWM Portland Maine

Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:44 pm

Told you guyz a while back this was comming!!!

Congrats to Jetblue with their 37th Bluecity!!!!

werdywerd

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:01 pm

Did you miss the part of the email that stated:

"Please treat this as internal and confidential information until 8:00AM ET, when the press release you see pasted below crosses the wires. Please do not forward or post this information until that time." ???

chrisnh

Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:51 pm

I know the premature release of this news isn't a good thing, but geez...the Portland Press Herald is running the story before this magic '8:00am' time stamp. So, there you go. Blame the Internet  Wink.

Biggest news within the news is that all four flights will be aboard A320s! Conventional wisdom was that PWM would get the 190s, and ***maybe** an upgrade to A320s during the peak summer season. That all four daily circuits to JFK will use A320s is great for the folks up in PWM. Right out of the chute, PWM will be a par with BTV in terms of having 4x nonstops each day.

Congratulations to PWM! Very deserved!

Chris in NH

charlipr

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:11 pm

How many cities are left to announce this year, of the 10 that Neeleman mentioned??

B6FA4ever

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting Werdywerd (Reply 2):

"Please treat this as internal and confidential information until 8:00AM ET, when the press release you see pasted below crosses the wires. Please do not forward or post this information until that time." ???

at least we find out an hour or so before the "official" release...could you imagine if we received news like this a day or so prior!? (of course i'm sure it woudln't matter anyway)

anyways, welcome to the family PWM! i'm also surprised too that it'll be operated by A320's to start. by the way, what's the peak/offpeak times of Maine? never been there so just askin!  Smile

well i'm off to bed now. gotta work my flight back to LGB tonight. g'night all!
~B6FA4ever

pensacolaguy

Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:42 pm

Seems like a good fit. PWM is JetBlue's first new "Small/Mid-sized Market".
PWM had 1,454,027 TOTAL PAX in 2005. (According to there website, Just stating a FACT not trying to start up anything)

FA4B6

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:22 pm

"Leap! And the net will appear."

usairways85

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:45 pm

Definitely didn't expect 320's on this route. Are they taking 320's from other routes and putting 190's on those current routes?

lightsaber
Crew

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:45 pm

This new service was a nice suprise. I'm going to admit I guessed wrong on the most likely city... But hey, good for Maine!  bigthumbsup 

It looks like 35 to 40 minute turn times. Not bad. There is one aircraft that overnights from 10:05pm to 7:15 am. This long of a time on the ground is a little more than I expected; I assume they'll do quite the clean of the aircraft in that time.

Great news for B6 and PWM.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

lowecur

Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:49 pm

600 seats per day to JFK..........hmmmm! These short flts will help the RASM increase, but I question the wisdom that PWM can support this kind of traffic to JFK initially.

Lots of new a/c this year and I guess they have to try and put them somewhere. 4 320 flts into JFK is better than 6 190's. On-time performance into JFK has suffered since B6's inception and will only get worse as the new terminal comes on-line to generate 250 flts per day. They also need a mid-west focus city in the next 6 months. Keep and eye on Mid-America or Gary as possible new additions.

ont 737

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:15 am

Lightsaber,

The long overnight is probably for minimum crew rest reasons. The crew that brings in the 10:05PM RON will most likely take out the 7:05AM originator. The longer overnight time gives crew scheduling a buffer to keep the fleet launch ontime in case the RON comes in late.

chrisnh

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:09 am

We are surprised and pleased that A320s will be used on the route, but keep in mind that the service will debut around the time seasonal summer traffic starts picking up anyway. So, the plan may be to start with A320s through the summer and then back off to 190s--at least on 2x of the 4x daily runs--after Labor Day. The way to combat that, obviously, is for the folks at PWM to support this service very strongly. The best way to ensure that the A320s stay through Labor Day is to produce strong advance bookings.

Message to PWM:  bigthumbsup  You're being watched!

Chris in NH

jetbluefan1

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:22 am

Nice! I was expecting this so I'm not at all surprised. However, the A320s are a bit of a shocker. 4x may be a bit overkill. 4x on an E190 may have been a bit more reasonable. However, at $59 o/w, maybe they'll be able to fill those babies up.

Congrats, PWM! Is this their first LCC?

JetBluefan1

jetblueatjfk

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:29 am

Sounds great. This has been rumored forever and finally it is happening.

Now, Neeleman said 10 new cities, then they said 8 after AUS and RIC, BUT they said 8 new domestic cities before so techincally there are still 7 left but unless they change their mind and include BDA there would be 6 left, but it is really 7 new cities left.

Good luck in PWM!

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

iowaman

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:10 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 13):
Congrats, PWM! Is this their first LCC?

Nope, they had Independence to IAD.

jetbluefan1

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 15):

Yes, but FlyI isn't around anymore. Perhaps I should have stated it more clearly...are there any LCC's at PWM currently? If not, then I'm surprised. Cities that have no LCC presence whatsoever are becoming less and less common in the US.

JetBluefan1

ScottB

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:41 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 16):
Perhaps I should have stated it more clearly...are there any LCC's at PWM currently?

Real LCC's or fake LCC's like US Airways...  Wink

erikwilliam

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:16 am

Sorry to ask, but what kind of business does Maine have??
What sort of industries etc etc???
Also, this will be an Airbus or Embraer flight??

thx.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

lightsaber
Crew

Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting ONT 737 (Reply 11):
The long overnight is probably for minimum crew rest reasons. The crew that brings in the 10:05PM RON will most likely take out the 7:05AM originator. The longer overnight time gives crew scheduling a buffer to keep the fleet launch ontime in case the RON comes in late.

Ah... the lightbulb goes on. I didn't consider flight crew rest issues.

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 18):

I would have liked to answer more on the industries in Maine, but a local will know more. I know there is Bath Iron works and other shipbuilders, many small industries, furniture and other woodwork, fishing. I think there is Biotech up there too... but I'm not recalling who.

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

bigdrewfl

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting Werdywerd (Reply 2):

Chill out...... I did my research first, this story was published well before the Email was even sent out to the company!!!

The same happened with the E190 Bluecity Press Release the story was on the USA Today the night before Jetblue even announced anything.

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 3):
I know the premature release of this news isn't a good thing, but geez...the Portland Press Herald is running the story before this magic '8:00am' time stamp. So, there you go. Blame the Internet .

chrisnh

Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 am

My parents live in Kennebunkport, and they just took JetBlue a few weeks ago BOS-FLL-BOS (they went on a cruise). They will be happy to fly from PWM, via JFK, to do the same thing. The hope here is that Portland supports the hell out of this service, and it blossoms into more than 'just' four circuits to JFK. I'm a bit doubtful, because Burlington, VT is sitting on the same four nonstops to JFK they've always had.

Anyway, PWM has always 'suffered' from a stigma that it is a one-season airport: Summer. The Portland community needs to step up and prove to JetBlue that it can not only support these 4x A320s during the summer--which should be easy to do--but also do it the other three seasons. That will be the test. And if those A320s turn into 190s after Labor Day, I'll conclude that PWM is indeed a one-season airport.

Manchester has stolen a lot of traffic from PWM. Although MHT is 'my' airport, I take no pleasure in that because my parents live in Maine and I recall (fondly) seeing Delta 757s in Portland. Time for PWM to steal traffic back.

As for business, the Portland area has a fair amount of call-center work, such as MBNA (or whatever they are called now). But while there are a lot of workers, they aren't the business travel kind of workers. Then there's LL Bean up in Freeport. Basically, tourism is it. What LL Bean should do is what Bass Pro Shops is doing: they are building these huge 'destination' stores that people come from far and wide to visit. There will be a huge one next to Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. within the next year. Do that near Portland, and it would pay huge divdends because this kind of thing cuts across all seasons because it's a regional draw. LL Bean should build a massive 'destination store' near the airport, supported by their 'smaller' store up in Freeport.

I really, really hope that Portland maintains the A320s past the normal summer season. My inward fear is that they won't, and that's where the work will have to start. The served available market for PWM goes down to about York; MHT or BOS becomes more sensible further south than that. So, PWM officials are going to have to do a full-court press in the southern Maine tier to reverse the leakage that has thus far gone to MHT. Manchester still has numerous options that Portland doesn't have, and four A320s to JFK won't change that much.

I will be up in Maine on Labor Day visiting my parents and I'll be heading up to PWM to see JetBlue! I really, really want to see JetBlue succeed in Portland. That means, first, holding the A320s year-round; and, second, by adding Florida nonstops (one of the big reasons MHT is popular with Maine residents; we have the flights and PWM doesn't).

Chris in NH

panam330

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 21):
Burlington, VT is sitting on the same four nonstops to JFK they've always had.

They used to have 3.

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 21):
MBNA (or whatever they are called now).

Now part of Bank of America.

Good luck to B6 in PWM! Now if they could just add SYR-MCO  Wink...

Jeff G

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:37 am

That schedule does seem to imply that the evening flight crew will take out the early morning departure, but there's not the slack in the schedule that there appears to be. It's just over 8 hrs off duty (the absolute minimum), which means there's very little room for delays. This also means that the crew will get at most 6 hrs of actual sleep, and JetBlue avoids schedules this tight. The usual procedure is to overnight two crews, not one. Probably the 1520 arrival crew will overnight and become the 0715 departure crew, and the 2205 arrival crew becomes the next day's 1600 departure crew. Which is fine with me, since there's a lot you can do in Portland with 18 hrs on the ground there.

Also, regarding 320 service, it may well turn into a seasonal market and some of the frequencies will be reduced in the fall. The evening flights would probably be the first to go. Or some could be converted to 190 flights, or a combination of the two. If one or more of the flights draws enough year round, good yielding traffic then they will stay 320's. The 320 vs 190 is not an all/nothing choice. There's lots of room to switch one off against the other.

flyPWM

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:07 am

There is a God, Long live JetBlue. I have another option to PHX this October... Wink

werdywerd

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 5):
at least we find out an hour or so before the "official" release...could you imagine if we received news like this a day or so prior!? (of course i'm sure it woudln't matter anyway)

*Hangs head in Shame*

jetbluefan1

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 22):
Now if they could just add SYR-MCO ...

That would be nice indeed. However, B6 has been very firm in its promise to not expand at SYR unless airport fees are lowered.

JetBluefan1

WMUPilot

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:53 am

I do believe that at least 1 international city will be announced shortly as well. I haven't heard anything official yet but our instructor slipped in class today.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

chrisnh

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:28 am

Quoting WMUPilot (Reply 27):
I do believe that at least 1 international city will be announced shortly as well. I haven't heard anything official yet but our instructor slipped in class today.

I think it's Dubai, United Arab Emirates. They need to fly replacement Longshoremen to New York to run the ports there.

duck   duck   duck   duck   duck 

Chris in NH

jetblueatjfk

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:04 am

Well lets all take a guess about that one  wink 

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 28):
I think it's Dubai, United Arab Emirates. They need to fly replacement Longshoremen to New York to run the ports there.

Lol, wow that is a mess! I think the 320's make that trip easily!

airplane jetBlueAtJFK airplane 

bigdrewfl

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 29):

Well lets all take a guess about that one

As I have said before Management seems to be very certain about Cancun (CUN).

but thats already public.

I do hear a very strong rumor about..........St Thomas.........

However, I believe our next US City will be Pittsburg

EMBQA

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 15):

..... and Peoples Express, Presidental..
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

jetbluefan1

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:45 am

Quoting Bigdrewfl (Reply 30):
I do hear a very strong rumor about..........St Thomas.........

Why couldn't you guys push it up a few months?! I'm going to STT next month and I'm flying DL via ATL. My company's picking up the tab of $780. And that's flying out on a Tuesday and back on a Friday! Ouch!

JetBluefan1

spinkid

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:28 am

I think PWM was one of the better performing cities for Indy Air, I think their' Airbuses even flew into there. With them gone, there should be a market for jetBlue now.

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting Erikwilliam (Reply 18):
rnWe have lots of small and privately owned business here in the State ofrnMaine, the majority being located in the Southern half of Maine wherernthe majority of our 1.3 Million population also reside. These days wernlack a bit in the area of heavy industry and manufacturing, with a fewrnexceptions such as Bath Iron Works which is about 35 minutes north ofrnPortland, and the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard about forty minutesrnsouth of Portland on the border with New Hampshire. Two of our large inrnindustries are commercial fishing and Logging/paper manufacturing..rnBusinesses such as L.L. Bean, Delorme Software, and UnumrnProvident all have headquarters or large operations located close by tornPortland. Tourism does account a large percentage of the Maine'srneconomy.

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 5):
anyways, welcome to the family PWM! i'mrnalso surprised too that it'll be operated by A320's to start. by thernway, what's the peak/offpeak times of Maine? never been there so just askin! Smile

Although, not bustling with banks of flights arriving constantly several times a day like at major airports, PWMrndoes have it's on and off "peaks" Primarily, the first bank of flightsrndeparts between 5:00am-8am. Arrivals for the second bank of flightsrnstart arriving between 10am-1pm and usually are turned within a hour.rnThe third peak starts around 4pm, with the last departures of the dayrnleaving by 7:30 pm. At the current time there are only 36 passengerrnflights per day offered atPWM. Only two on mainline equipment at this time with NW DC-9s.

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 13):
Nice!rnI was expecting this so I'm not at all surprised. However, the A320srnare a bit of a shocker. 4x may be a bit overkill. 4x on an E190 mayrnhave been a bit more reasonable
Was a bit surprised to hear they will be using A320's as well, but I think they will do Ok. During Independence Air's brief existence, PWM was their most booked city for a while and ultimately they upgraded three or four flights per day with their A319 over the CRJs. I don't think B6rnwould use the A320's unless they were confident they could fill themrnand I assume whoever plans their routes has done the research to guessrnthey will fit the market.

[Edited 2006-02-24 03:24:51]

[Edited 2006-02-24 03:26:16]

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:15 am

Quoting Spinkid (Reply 33):
I think PWM was one of the better performing cities for Indy Air, I think their' Airbuses even flew into there. With them gone, there should be a market for jetBlue now.

Oh, we've had the market in Southern Maine for at least ten years. The Jetport authorities have been negotiating and trying to lure a LCC here the whole time with minimal success, while more and more people travel to BOS or MHT to access the LCC's there.
People around here would love to see some direct flights to Florida from PWM. If I'm not mistaken, the stats from several years ago showed something like close to 45% of passengers originating or deplaning here were going or coming to/from Florida.

cancidas

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:24 am

interesting, and we can't even fill all my LGA-PWM flights when it's not some holiday...

leaves me to wonder how long it's going to last.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting Cancidas (Reply 36):

You probably can't fill those flights because NYC is only around 350 miles away and with exception of business travelers and the wealthy, a lot of people aren't going to pay US or DL $400-500 for a ticket to PWM from NYC. Especially when they can drive it in several hours much cheaper. FlyI seemed to fill their planes almost daily to PWM from IAD.

[Edited 2006-02-24 03:33:45]

[Edited 2006-02-24 03:35:29]

cs03

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 am

JetBlue should do fine on JFK/PWM. DL had no problem using a 757 LGA/PWM!

chrisnh

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:57 am

Does anyone know where these flights will continue on to, or will come in from, on their way to/from JFK?

Also, has anyone tried to photograph at PWM? I know that here at MHT the 'LAW' (caps used for emphasis) likes to flex its muscles ("what are ya...somekinda TERRORIST with that camera???") and bully the most innocent among us.

But an early-morning trip there would catch the FedEx A310 arriving and the first JetBlue outbound to JFK.

Chris in NH

Tornado82

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:16 pm

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; home of the Super Bowl Champions, is spelled with an H at the end.

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 37):
FlyI seemed to fill their planes almost daily to PWM from IAD.

Big difference between a 50 seater and a 156? seater

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 37):

You probably can't fill those flights because NYC is only around 350 miles away and with exception of business

Ok, and JFK is still in NYC, just less convenient than LGA. So, what you're saying is B6 made a spoke route to its hub which eats at RASM. Also don't forget US also offers connection opportunities through LGA probably to a broader network than B6. Interesting... Cancidas brings up a big point.

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 40):
Big difference between a 50 seater and a 156? seater

No, FlyI was flying 4 A319's from IAD to PWM shortly before their demise as mentioned above.

FlyI A319 at PWM

[Edited 2006-02-24 04:31:29]

[Edited 2006-02-24 04:36:50]

bigdrewfl

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; home of the Super Bowl Champions, is spelled with an H at the end.

Sorry for the Typo Professor!

jetbluefan1

Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:45 pm

Ok, and JFK is still in NYC, just less convenient than LGA. So, what you're saying is B6 made a spoke route to its hub which eats at RASM. Also don't forget US also offers connection opportunities through LGA probably to a broader network than B6. Interesting... Cancidas brings up a big point.

I would say that these flights are more or less oriented toward O&D with some connecting traffic. However, at $54 o/w, 4 flights a day shouldn't be a problem. Just look how successful JetBlue is with the Upstate and BTV flying...

BTW, while US does have connection opportunities via LGA, they aren't to the most popular of destinations. Nothing to California, Vegas or Phoenix (because of the perimeter limit), and very few Floridian or Caribbean flights. JetBlue offers plenty of these flights out of JFK.

Comparing US on LGA-PWM and B6 on JFK-PWM is of no relevance. B6 will stimulate demand because of lower fares, and most connections are to leisure destinations that don't have non-stop service from Portland. Just look how JetBlue stimulated demand on JFK-BUF and JFK-ROC at the same fare.

JetBluefan1

Tornado82

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:05 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 43):

Comparing US on LGA-PWM and B6 on JFK-PWM is of no relevance. B6 will stimulate demand because of lower fares, and most connections are to leisure destinations that don't have non-stop service from Portland. Just look how JetBlue stimulated demand on JFK-BUF and JFK-ROC at the same fare.

Drink up!  drunk 

chrisnh

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:08 pm

I agree 100% that JetBlue will stimulate demand. Heck, the laughter was loud and clear in 1998: 'You mean to tell me that Southwest Airlines is gonna run EIGHT nonstop jets a day--each way--between Manchester, New Hampshire and Baltimore??? MANCHESTER???"

We're now up to 11 a day and running chock-full.

So, it CAN be done. JetBlue is a self-promoting machine, which is great. By that, I mean the news gets around fast when JetBlue enters a market. The big thing really isn't the PWM-JFK air fare even though that's what everyone is focusing on. The big thing will be the air fares between, say, PWM and Las Vegas or between PWM and Orlando (to name just two examples). Will those air fares keep passengers from going to Manchester to catch Southwest's nonstops to either city? If the air fares are competitive with MHT-LAS and MHT-MCO, then Portland wins. If they're not, then leakage to MHT will still occur.

Like it or not, JetBlue won't simply be competing with the other carriers at PWM; they'll be competing with what Southwest is doing at Manchester. Like I said earlier, I'm a MHT fan. But in this case I'd really like to see JetBlue help Portland win back 'their' market--or at least the slice of their market that we at MHT have siphoned away.

Chris in NH

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:16 pm

I think B6 is targeting a different crowd of travelers on the NYC-PWM market than DL or US. I believe they are trying to appeal more to the leisure market than the the business market on this route who are going to choose the convieneince of LGA over a cheap fare to JFK more often than not.
I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm quite certain that the majority of passengers on US to LGA from PWM are either deplaning there, or originating there. I don't meet too many people coming to PWM on US or DL who have made a connection in LGA unless they are on a regional trip in the Northeast.
At last, I think B6 is targeting those of us in Maine who travel Internationally and warmly welcome an easy and affordable link to JFK and all of the International oppurtunities provided there, as well as limited domestic connections. Previously, if you wanted a fast and affordable link to NYC from PWM you were looking at $400+ walk up fares. B6 will be $120 O/W max. to JFK. The business travelers, will continue to pay more to fly into LGA because of the conveinence of it, but with B6 offering service to JFK it opens up the choice of traveling by air to the many people that transit from Portland-NYC, who previously would not have been able to afford that option with fares being upwards of $400+

I can't even begin to guess how many college students from Bowdoin, Bates and Colby I've met who are from the NYC area, but go to Boston to catch the Shuttle, or train when they want to go back home for a weekend or break.

[Edited 2006-02-24 05:30:18]

jetbluefan1

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 44):
Drink up!

Obviously you don't understand the importance of backing up your statement. I told you that you are wrong in thinking that B6 will have a tough time in PWM (as implied in your previous post). To prove this, I provided evidence of previous times in which B6 has stimulated demand in similar markets. In fact, it is the most basic law of economics that lower prices stimulate demand. On the contrary, higher prices lower demand.

I supported my statement. You did nothing but toss out drivel.

JetBluefan1

Tornado82

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:27 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 47):

Obviously you don't understand the importance of backing up your statement.

Here ya go....

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 45):
'You mean to tell me that Southwest Airlines is gonna run EIGHT nonstop jets a day--each way--between Manchester, New Hampshire and Baltimore??? MANCHESTER???"

We're now up to 11 a day and running chock-full.

MHT is a far bigger market, considering it leaches off Boston, and includes Nashua and Concord, than PWM is. There's one backup JBF1.

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 46):
I think B6 is targeting a different crowd of travelers on the NYC-PWM market than DL or US. I believe they are trying to appeal more to the leisure market than the the business market on this route who are going to choose the convieneince of LGA over a cheap fare to JFK more often than not.

An A320 in B6 config is 156, right? I'll bet my next paycheck that less than 78 pax per flight on these birds are O&D-ing to JFK (that's 50% for you mathematically impaired folk). Connect a bunch of pax through a superhub, and you lose yield. Lose yield, lose profitability. There's a second backup JBF1

Now do you see why I said what I said?

pwm2txlhopper

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:39 pm

Well seeming Independence Air decided PWM was successful enough to warrant a larger plane, and that PWM passenger counts went up by a quarter to around 1.4 million the first year of service, with a 20% market share with FlyI I'm optimistic this route will work. If the demand dies down after the summer season, then no big deal, then I'd just expect to see theE-190's that I was already expecting to see coming to Portland sometime in the next year.

[Edited 2006-02-24 05:41:45]