IFEMaster
Topic Author

BA LAX Flights At LHR T1?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:47 am

So next week I'm flying LAX to LHR on BA, and I just noticed that it arrives at T1. Last time I was at T1 was back in 2002, and it was mainly domestic out of that terminal, with maybe one or two european flights, but since when did T1 handle transatlantic flights? It's a small(ish) terminal - where did they put immigration and customs, and where on earth did they put baggage carousels big enough to handle a 747's worth of passengers?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

mhodgson

RE: BA LAX Flights At LHR T1?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:53 am

They changed last year I think to make connections simpler - many European destinations (CDG, AMS, MAD, BRU, FRA and others) moved to T4, with some long haul flights moving to T1.

T1 wasn't mainly domestic - it was domestic and allmost all BA European. the domestic and European airside areas are different though, so if you only flew domestic you probably wouldn't notice the Euro flights.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

vsflyer747400

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:57 am

Well, given that SA and LY fly into T1 at LHR using 744s I am sure the terminal is more than capable of handling long haul flights
Being on: (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA

IFEMaster
Topic Author

Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):
They changed last year I think to make connections simpler - many European destinations (CDG, AMS, MAD, BRU, FRA and others) moved to T4, with some long haul flights moving to T1.

T1 wasn't mainly domestic - it was domestic and allmost all BA European. the domestic and European airside areas are different though, so if you only flew domestic you probably wouldn't notice the Euro flights.

Interesting. What other longhauls operate from T1?

I don't believe I ever flew a Euro flight out of LHR, so you're right about not seeing the Euro airside at T1. I'm assuming, then, that the customer, immigration, and baggage claim from Euro airside now handles the long haul pax too?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

mhodgson

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):

Interesting. What other longhauls operate from T1?

SAA to South Africa (3 flights per day)
BD to India and Saudi Arabia
LY to Israel
Air Sahara to India

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 3):
I don't believe I ever flew a Euro flight out of LHR, so you're right about not seeing the Euro airside at T1. I'm assuming, then, that the customer, immigration, and baggage claim from Euro airside now handles the long haul pax too?

Yep.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

FlyCaledonian

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:06 am

There is separate check-in at LHR T1 for shorthaul and longhaul, though baggage claim is mixed. As is mentioned domestic flights are all in a separate part of T1.

HKG, NRT, JNB, SFO and LAX longhaul all operate from T1.
MIA longhaul operates from T3.
All remaining longhaul, including KJ flights, operate from T4
Let's Go British Caledonian!

N1120A

Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:29 am

Given that Bmed flights go from T4 and that one of the main drivers of loads from LAX for any european airline is traffic that is connecting on to Bmed, it would behoove BA to move LAX to T4. One factor, however, that I believe effects this decision is the fact that BA has 3 flights from LAX that arrive within a certain time window and with gate space at a premium, they need to run them through T4.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

planesarecool

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:08 am

The gate area that the long hauls usually go into is very nice and modern and i found going long haul from T1 was much nicer than going from T4.

Speedbird2155

Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):

The change was from the summer schedule of 2004, although there was at least 1 longhaul operating from T1 for a few months before that. While the issue of connections was one of the reasons, it was not the only reason. This move also enabled BA to start preparing for T5 as all staff would then be able to deal with a mixture of long and shorthaul flights, particularly T1 staff who had little experience with longhaul. In addition to this it was about managing terminal space and the operations better until T5.

Also MAD and FRA are not in T4....BA Euro flights in T4 are CDG, BRU, AMS, VIE, OSL, GVA, ZRH, BSL, CPH, LYS and for the interim RIX....think that is all.

[Edited 2006-02-23 19:59:25]