BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Video: Strength Of Composite Panels

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:50 am

Hey guys...

I was going through some old video I had and I found this one pretty interesting. In my mind, it gives a lot of credance to the strength of composite materials. Basically, it was a video Boeing used to show customers just how strong a composite panel is. They give several people the opportunity to wind up with a mallet and a chisel and do their best to dent or damage a panel; it doesn't happen. These panels are so solid, I don't even think MENZIES could put a dent in these babies!  Silly

Download it and tell me what you think. It's pretty interesting. (Sorry for the slow download speeds, the only hosting I have is the university FTP, which is quite slow. If anyone else wants to volunteer to host, I'm very happy to send it to you.)

Steve

P.S. I have some other interesting Boeing videos if anyone's interested. Check this out and tell me what you think!

http://cc.usu.edu/~stephenh/CompositeDemo.mpeg

[Edited 2006-02-24 19:53:32]
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

radelow

RE: Video: Strength Of Composite Panels

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:41 am

That video is irrelevant.

1. The mallet/chisel combo wasn't easy enough to use to really get a good whack at it.

2. The panel has a void behind it so it could deflect to absorb the impact.

3. Comparing a hammer/chisel hit by a guy wearing work clothes to a another airplane, or ramp vehicle is completely ridiculous.

With that said, I don't question the strength of composites and know Boeing is confident in the strength of the stuff.

A319XFW

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting BCAInfoSys (Thread starter):
They give several people the opportunity to wind up with a mallet and a chisel and do their best to dent or damage a panel; it doesn't happen.

Is that a chisel? It looks like a rounded head cylinder to me...

Quoting Radelow (Reply 2):
3. Comparing a hammer/chisel hit by a guy wearing work clothes to a another airplane, or ramp vehicle is completely ridiculous.

I agree - How would that compare to the corner of a truck for instance?

Quoting Radelow (Reply 2):
2. The panel has a void behind it so it could deflect to absorb the impact.

It depends on how rigidly the skin is attached to the stringers/frames.

But all the airlines wouldn't be buying it if they wouldn't know the answers. As I am sure they have asked the same (and more).

Boeing4ever

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:37 am

Interesting stuff. If you have any other videos, feel free to share.

I would like to see something tougher going at the panel tho. It's one thing to go at it with a chisel, let's see 'em drop something really heavy on it.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

Ruscoe

Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:54 am

Compare what would have happened if this was aluminium.

The superiority of Composites over Al in aviation is well established. The problem has been price and production/manufacture. As I've said before this is the real breakthrough that Boeing has made.

Ruscoe

Aither

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:07 am

... and checkings and maintenance.

I would say all composite fuselage is a breakthrough in term of aircraft design, but just an improvement in term of aircraft performance, especially when considering other aircraft are using advanced alloys and quite a lot of composites as well.
Never trust the obvious

Jean Leloup

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:23 am

Only one thing can punch through composites: Chuck Norris.

Seriously, though - while I've been very impressed in what I have read about these materials, I don't think tests like this are very relevant, except as a bit of a marketing tool.

JL
Next flight.... who knows.