sleekjet

Let's Hear It For The Gear

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:45 am

You guys are the experts; I'm just an amateur photographer. But I'm completely amazed by landing gear.

Just think. Landing gear are complicated pieces of technology, built to support enormously heavy aircraft under enormously stressful situations.

Engines are sexier, but the gear fascinates me more.

OK, just wanted to plug 'em.
II Cor. 4:17-18

ChiGB1973

RE: Let's Hear It For The Gear

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:50 am

whoop whoop

I am a big fan too!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Fabian Gysel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim de Groot - AirTeamImages

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jet City Aviation Photography

M

jamesbuk

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:13 am

I personally think that the wheels are the most important part of an aircraft and also the strongest. I think this because they are locked into the airframe they then get chucked out into an aircraft flying at like 200knots then they have to suddenly accelerate to 140-160 knots then after they've sped up, cope with all the weight of the aircraft. You tell me that aint impressive, LOL

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Newark777

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 2):
I personally think that the wheels are the most important part of an aircraft and also the strongest.

Yeah, who needs those engines.  Wink

Anyway, the 777 has my favorite gear, especially while on short final, when it looks like a bird of prey coming in for a kill, with those big bogeys.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ReidYYZ

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:13 am

After our A330 endorsement course, our training department arraigned a field trip to the Messier-Dowty plant near YMX. Your first impression on driving in, there are the ingots sitting out in the elements, in a very rough shape of the finished gear strut. Going inside, you get over whelmed at the milling machines. The milling gantry's support 6-8 units each for precise milling at the same time. They get milled into the rough shape of the finished product but with a ruffles chip texture, then the hand sanding and polishing begins. As a side note, and the most fascinating part to me that is, hanging from the rafters are propaganda signs. This being post '95 referendum Quebec, the signs, in french of course "that tool which you are speaking of, has a French name, USE IT!" And others along those lines, but you get the picture. I'm not anti-Francophone, I'm just anti-ignorant.

A319XFW

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Sleekjet (Thread starter):
Just think. Landing gear are complicated pieces of technology, built to support enormously heavy aircraft under enormously stressful situations.

Yes

But you won't say that if you have to troubleshoot all the problems they have day in, day out  Smile

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:57 am

The 757 sports the best package...long legs and big t*ts!

So sexy...  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Matt72033

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:51 am

i find it quite disturbing that you can refer to an aircraft as "sexy"

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:40 am

I find it more disturbing that you can't take it as a joke.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ChiGB1973

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:04 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 3):
Anyway, the 777 has my favorite gear, especially while on short final, when it looks like a bird of prey coming in for a kill, with those big bogeys.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Erwin

M

jetstar

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:21 am

Doing the landing gear retraction check or swinging the gear as it is known was one of my favorite things to do in my corporate maintenance days, both on the Gulfstream’s and JetStar’s. Jacking the airplane up, that was another story, we used manual hydraulic jacks, not air operated and more than once I jacked the airplane up by myself, going from jack to jack

Just watching from close up the sequence of events the landing gear and doors go through to fully retract and extend which involves numerous switches, solenoids and actuators, any of which fails prevents the landing gear from operating properly. I would look for doors that did not close properly or bind up, smoothness of operation and also check the manual emergency gear extension. Often as a training procedure I made each of the other pilots operate the manual gear extension system except discharging the blow down bottles.

On time on the JetStar after completing the landing gear check, I could not raise one of the main wing jacks off of the safety ring because of an internal jack failure. The only way I could get the airplane off of the jacks was to replace the failed jack with the airplane still on the jacks. I borrowed 2 wing jacks from another corporate JetStar flight department on the airport. I placed one of the jacks under the main wing spar using a piece of 4” x 4” wood to prevent the jack from damaging the spar. I then jacked up the wing enough until I was able to remove the failed jack and replace it with the other spare using the jack pad on the jack point. Then I was able to lower the airplane back to the ground

Just another day in the life of a corporate aircraft mechanic.

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 7):

What are you talking about, I saw a sexy plane at work today. A brand new Miami Air Intl 737-800 with winglets. The gear was so clean the cowl and the leading edge of the wings was so shiny and clean, Thats pure sexy to me
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

DLKAPA

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting Matt72033 (Reply 7):

checkmark 
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

Silver1SWA
Crew

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:09 pm

I don't know why I feel the need to defend my comment, but apparently the commonly sexy female attributes I gave the 757 provide no excuse for making such a "disturbing comment". I must be some aviation wacko that has no life and gets off from looking at airplanes...  Yeah sure

Give me a break guys. Not only was it a response to another comment about engines being sexy, it was a joke! A joke that usually gets a few chuckles among my flying buddies, including my old instructor. Tough crowd around here I guess...

Newark777

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:13 pm

This is the only sexy aircraft I can think of:

View Large View Medium

Photo © TZ Aviation

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

Matt72033

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets (Reply 11):
What are you talking about, I saw a sexy plane at work today. A brand new Miami Air Intl 737-800 with winglets. The gear was so clean the cowl and the leading edge of the wings was so shiny and clean, Thats pure sexy to me

oh dear! lol

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 14):
This is the only sexy aircraft I can think of:

yeah....that i'll admit is sexy!

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 13):
I don't know why I feel the need to defend my comment, but apparently the commonly sexy female attributes I gave the 757 provide no excuse for making such a "disturbing comment". I must be some aviation wacko that has no life and gets off from looking at airplanes...

your taking my comment too seriosuly!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos