fedexexpress

Rumor About IND Is It True?

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:15 pm

I have heard from several people at IND that when the new airport termial opens they are going to be tring really hard to land a deal with a European Carrier to serve the airport non-stop? Is there any truth in that any one know? Or see it even happening?
Eric
"Its not what your country can do for you its what you can do for your country" JFK

PanHAM

RE: Rumor About IND Is It True?

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:31 pm

They have Cargolux flying into IND (already or starting soon).

For passenger services - there is no connectivity to justify a European service. Unless local business "subsidizes" a service to Europe by buying a given numb er fo seats for 3 years at least, any airline would rather add a fequency in DTW or ORD.

BTW - the CV service works on a similar deal with a cargo customer.
powered by Eierlikör

fedexexpress

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:41 pm

Me personaly i was thinking of like KLM flying non-stop to IND from AMS. Where people from around Indiana could drive to IND then go to AMS and connect to where they need to go. That would give the city of Indianapolis money and AMS i am sure. Looks good to when a big company wants to HQ or something here in IND like Eli Lilly. THey fly all over. A non-stop for them would be for sure something they would like.
"Its not what your country can do for you its what you can do for your country" JFK

IADLHR

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:29 pm

I have also heard this rumor before. I would say , based on what I heard,that if the US/EU openskies goes through that perhaps there would be a few flights a week between IND and maybe LHR or perhaps LGW. If that proves successful than the flights could be expanded to perhaps daily.

bobnwa

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Fedexexpress (Reply 2):
Me personaly i was thinking of like KLM flying non-stop to IND from AMS. Where people from around Indiana could drive to IND then go to AMS and connect to where they need to go

That would be a joint decision by NW/KL to fly IND-AMS. Do you think the market can support 250+ passengers a day?

fedexexpress

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:42 pm

Not sure if it could support a 1x daily. But for sure probably 2-3 times a week. I think you would get some support for a LHR over probably a AMS. I think Eli Lilly, could possibly buy some seats on that sector. ??? any thoughts. If LHR can in or LGW what would be the carrier? United AA or BA?

filejw

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:46 pm

Too bad 757's didn't have just a bit longer legs.IND BDL BUF and a flew other city's are perfect for a 180 seat A/C to Europe.

fedexexpress

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:48 pm

what about a 767??? from IND.

fewsolarge

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:49 pm

Of course they're going to try. But how many bigger cities without nonstop service to Europe are ahead of IND on carriers' lists of expansion markets?

fedexexpress

Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:51 pm

DOn't you think you could pull away, some traffic from CVG, and like CMH, and bloominton, IL to IND with a non-stop to LHR or something?

luv2fly

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:07 am

For European flights it makes more sense to funel the passengers via the hubs then risk filling a flight out of one gateway.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 1):

It started. This past friday was the 2nd flight. I waited on the IND parking garage for 45 minutes to take a pic of the 744 but it didn't show up. It came in like 2 hours late. I wasn't prepared to wait in the cold wind quite that long. I'll try again next friday  Smile.

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 4):
That would be a joint decision by NW/KL to fly IND-AMS. Do you think the market can support 250+ passengers a day?

According to the Dept of Commerce it can. I think the deal will happen with a good cargo contract and perhaps a deal with a local company or two. The medical industry here will likely be what makes it happen. According to the Cargolux articles that was a big reason that flight started.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

luv2fly

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:39 am

In this day and age of high fuel prices it makes more sense to connect passengers via hubs than to risk the start up costs and to dedicate a plane on a route they may or may not be profitable. The problem with IND is that it is located to close to other hubs that currently offer service to Europe.

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 12):
In this day and age of high fuel prices it makes more sense to connect passengers via hubs than to risk the start up costs and to dedicate a plane on a route they may or may not be profitable.

That doesn't really make sense. In a day of high fuel prices the last thing you want to do is fly people further than necessary. When fuel prices are high the best route to fly is a direct route. Why do you think so many carriers (LCCs) are starting so much point to point service? Because that is where the money is. The money is in O&D. There is less fuel consumption. Fewer aircraft operations. Fewer man hours. Better for the customer. Connections only have value when you simply cannot make a profit between city pairs. You just aren't going to fill jets daily between Indianapolis and Biloxi.

Based on the logic of using hubs why offer IND-LGA? Why not just make it IND-DTW-LGA? Because it makes no financial sense to do so when the nonstop route is profitable. Hub only flying will continue to fade with time.

luv2fly

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:46 am

You are not comparing apples to apples here, you compare domestic we are talking International.

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:52 am

It doesn't matter where it goes. If you can make a profit on the route you fly it. Look at the service out of RDU. Same state as CLT but that didn't stop them from getting the service. And people can't use the excuse that airlines want to fly through their hubs. If that were true then why is it when I do a search on nwa.com for flights from IND-AMS that I get options of flying through DTW, MEM and BOS. Last time I checked Boston wasn't a NW hub. If airlines were so dead set on flying through hubs I'd only have a choice of flying through DTW or MEM.

luv2fly

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:56 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 13):
Connections only have value when you simply cannot make a profit between city pairs. You just aren't going to fill jets daily between Indianapolis and Biloxi.

And that is why BOS is an option because they can effectively fill the flight with connections from I don't know IND! And AMS is a hub for KLM that has connections on the other end for this flight. And one thing that BOS has that IND does not is the O/D numbers to fill this flight with out connections if need be.

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:57 am

You know... all this speculation is really pointless. We aren't going to know anything on this one way or another until 2008 I think. I don't think any carrier regardless of demand will use the current IND facilities for international arrivals. International arrivals here just isn't very good. There is no jetway. And the building is completely detached from the main terminal. Imagine coming home after an 8 hour flight and having to go down those stairs in a driving rain or a bitter cold wind and having some slow clown in front of you just taking his/her sweet time getting down the stairs. Of course you'd have to try and explain to people how to get to this building to pick you up. Not a very good system. Perhaps we can put this discussion on ice for a couple of years. Maybe a bit early if serious talks come up with an airline to start it up sooner.

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 16):
And one thing that BOS has that IND does not is the O/D numbers to fill this flight with out connections if need be.

I've gotten the numbers from the Dept. of Commerce. IND does have the O/D. I honestly didn't think it did but the numbers say otherwise. There is actually quite a bit of travel between Indianapolis (and Indiana) and Europe.

luv2fly

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 17):
Perhaps we can put this discussion on ice for a couple of years. Maybe a bit early if serious talks come up with an airline to start it up sooner.

Well said and I can not agree more with you! Who thought I would say that.

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:08 am

I went to weather.com and looked up the forecast for Hell. Low tonight is supposed to be 32 degrees Big grin . BTW construction on the new terminal is moving along nicely. Framing is supposed to start this summer. The new tower is supposed to go live in April.

roseflyer

Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:59 am

There are only two companies that really have the strenght to support an international flight out of IND. Eli Lilly and Rolls Royce employee thousands in the area. Eli Lilly doesn't have the international location to support a flight to any specific destination. Rolls Royce has its North American headquarters in Indianapolis and of course is based in the UK. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough traffic to pay for a route.

I think the only chance would be Northwest/KLM to AMS. BA, AF, or LH don't really have any reason to fly to IND.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 21):
I think the only chance would be Northwest/KLM to AMS.

Provided they don't return to hub only flying out of IND I think that will likely be the route that starts up in the future. They are already the largest carrier at IND by a good margin. Offering that route would be a good way to pull away business travelers from US, UA and DL. I wouldn't expect BA, AF or LH to fly the route either. It would be too hard in a market this size to start flying to a city without an existing customer base and expect to fill a jet. That is where NW/KL has the edge.

N670UW

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 15):
It doesn't matter where it goes.

Yes it does. A short-haul domestic route flown by a 50-seat regional jet (IND-LGA) isn't the same as a long-haul, high-risk international route (IND-LGW/FRA/CDG/AMS) flown on a 275-seat 777 or A340. There's much more risk involved, with the amount the airline has to invest to get the route started. There's more money to be made on those routes, but more money to be lost, as well.

N670UW

stirling

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 15):
people can't use the excuse that airlines want to fly through their hubs. If that were true then why is it when I do a search on nwa.com for flights from IND-AMS that I get options of flying through DTW, MEM and BOS. Last time I checked Boston wasn't a NW hub.

And then there is Northwest out of Portland (PDX) to Tokyo/Narita.

[Edited 2006-02-26 19:37:57]
Delete this User

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 23):
275-seat 777 or A340

Obviously you aren't going to fly that kind of equipment on a route like this. You may be looking at a smaller jet. Perhaps a KL 767. If it had to be NW equipment you wouldn't get anything bigger than an A332. When this route happens it will most likely be started with assistance of a local grant (government or corporate).

luv2fly

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 24):
And then there is Northwest out of Portland (PDX) to Tokyo/Narita.

And is NRT not a HUB for NW?

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 26):

I think the focus of that statement was directed at PDX and not NRT. But I could be wrong. The thinking being that PDX has international service and it isn't a NW hub.

But keep in mind before saying NW would "never" do something. They went from hub only flying to serving 19 nonstop destinations from IND (19 includes SFO this summer) including doing the work necessary to apply for and operate IND-CUN. Two years ago we would have been saying NW would never do this out of IND.

LambertMan

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting Fedexexpress (Reply 5):
Not sure if it could support a 1x daily. But for sure probably 2-3 times a week. I think you would get some support for a LHR over probably a AMS. I think Eli Lilly, could possibly buy some seats on that sector. ??? any thoughts. If LHR can in or LGW what would be the carrier? United AA or BA?

Would 2 or 3x a week even justify the cost of operating the route, especially one where the premium traffic would no doubt be weak? Lilly would only buy seats if it was necessary for them. Glaxxo does on RDU-LGW because it is absolutely necessary, and even that looks like it could be on the way out this fall.

Quoting Indy (Reply 18):
I've gotten the numbers from the Dept. of Commerce. IND does have the O/D. I honestly didn't think it did but the numbers say otherwise. There is actually quite a bit of travel between Indianapolis (and Indiana) and Europe.

Yeah they probably have the o/d which seems like it could justify a daily to Europe, but it doesn't take into account many factors.

-Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Philadelphia provide easy connections and a large number fly thru there
-Are there bigger fish to fry? i.e. SAN-LHR, DFW-AMS
-The startup costs and risks involved: is the cargo good enough, premium traffic, seasonal demand too weak

I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I would be willing to bet against it.

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 28):
-Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Philadelphia provide easy connections and a large number fly thru there

Connections however are a waste of time for business travelers.

But I guess the important question for this particular thread would be is there really anything to this "rumor"? Or is this simply speculation with the general public?

Having a NW rep that says they have studied the route or a rep from the city government saying they have offered a grant to a carrier to fly the route would be a valid rumor.

stirling

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 26):

Quoting Indy (Reply 27):
think the focus of that statement was directed at PDX and not NRT

checkmark 
Delete this User

LambertMan

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:34 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 29):

So thats why business travelers from Milwaukee, St Louis, Cleveland (most of time), Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Nashville, and Columbus all have those nonstop flights to Europe?

They deal with it too, Indianapolis isn't special.  Wink

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:47 am

Things will change and fuel prices will play a big part in it. I've seen it said all too often on here that the two biggest expenses in the business are fuel and labor. You reduce those expenses by flying nonstop. This is an example using hypothetical city pairs and pretty round numbers.

Lets pretend that 200 people a day fly IND-DTW-AMS but the jet seats 250 people so 50 people fly MCI-DTW-AMS. You are connecting 250 pax a day on that route so you are adding unnecessary expenses to your bottom line. If you offered a nonstop route from IND-AMS and ran 50 pax a day MCI-IND-AMS then you have greatly increased your profitability on that route. Now you only connect 50 pax a day on that route instead of 250. You have greatly reduced your fuel and labor costs.

Now for speculation combined with reality: The midfield terminal project here has a decent sized international arrivals section. I doubt they would put that much money into an area of the airport unless they had a plan in place to get use out of it. The master plan that was published a few years back indicated there would be 2 international arrivals gates. If I recall correctly the airport authority rep at IND advised me that there would be 3 international arrivals gates. Of course that doesn't mean they have to be used for that but they certainly planned for use. This stuff eats up space that could be used for something else. So you don't put in something that will basically sit there and collect dust.

eyeonthesky17

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:06 am

My instinct tells me that if indeed INDAMS is being looked at by NW/KL, they are probably considering a PrivatAir flight with 48-52 all C class equipment. It's a better and far less expensive way to test the marketplace. If corporate support from Eli Lilly and Rolls Royce is strong and they can solidly determine future growth in economy , NW/KL may consider a mainline jet in the future. The most important question is whether or not a non-stop from IND will dilute SLFs on DTW, ORD, MEM to AMS or compliment those existing flights by freeing up seats likely to be sold to other passengers.

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting Eyeonthesky17 (Reply 33):
SLFs

Pardon my ignorance but what is an SFL? When you look at the number of flights to AMS from DTW, MSP, MEM, BOS, etc I don't think changing one station would make much of a difference.

ChiGB1973

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting Filejw (Reply 6):
Too bad 757s didn't have just a bit longer legs.IND BDL BUF and a few other citys are perfect for a 180 seat A/C to Europe.

There is nothing wrong with flying the 752 to most of western Europe from IND. There may be occasional fuel stops. Maybe B6 should grab a few 752s and fly international from IND. Just kidding. But, to western Europe, the 752 from IND would be the perfect plane.

From BDL and BUF you get even further east. You are correct except that it doesn't really need any further range. It is currently the perfect plane for these routes. Though, if you could work something out with EI that can connect out of DUB, that would be a great deal. Spend 2 hours on the ground at DUB and head back. There's your money maker. Plus, that new law or agreement is going in to effect and don't have to fool with SNN so much anymore.

M

[Edited 2006-02-26 21:22:53]

1MillionFlyer

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Fedexexpress (Reply 9):
CVG, and like CMH,

2 hours of driving to IND vs. 45 minute flight to ORD with every Euro airline or 1 hour 20 minutes to JFK and massive Non-stops, it's a no brainer, No driving!

Quoting Indy (Reply 15):
Look at the service out of RDU.

subsidized by the Pharma Industry

Quoting Indy (Reply 29):

IND and only 1 European destination means another connection after an all night flight. Most business people would rather get the connection over with and get non-stop from their Gateway US airport to their final destination.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

boeingguy1

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 15):
It doesn't matter where it goes. If you can make a profit on the route you fly it. Look at the service out of RDU. Same state as CLT

The diffrences between CLT and IND are huge. CLT is the 2nd largest banking city in the United States... which is more than enough to generate trans-atlantic traffic.
Gatwick South! Id rather crash in Brighton!

steeler83

Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 31):
So thats why business travelers from Milwaukee, St Louis, Cleveland (most of time), Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Nashville, and Columbus all have those nonstop flights to Europe?

The last time I checked, business travelers from PIT had to connect in PHL to get to Europe. They would LOVE to have non stop service like PIT-FRA back. Talk to the countless Bayer employees from PIT who are screaming at US to bring that route back...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

N670UW

Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 25):
Obviously you aren't going to fly that kind of equipment on a route like this. You may be looking at a smaller jet. Perhaps a KL 767. If it had to be NW equipment you wouldn't get anything bigger than an A332. When this route happens it will most likely be started with assistance of a local grant (government or corporate).

That's not the point. The point is, a long-haul international flight with a large aircraft with many seats to fill -- whether it's a 767 or an A380 -- is much riskier (thus, airlines are more hesitant to start them) than a short domestic route with on a 50-seater.

N670UW

eyeonthesky17

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 34):
Pardon my ignorance but what is an SFL?

Sorry..... Seat Load Factors.

Quoting Indy (Reply 34):
When you look at the number of flights to AMS from DTW, MSP, MEM, BOS, etc I don't think changing one station would make much of a difference.

While that might seem true, you are considerably cutting down the amount of feed by originating in IND. I understand that the Chamber of Commerce is showing O&D numbers that justify a mainline jet, but many offline cities have overinflated these numbers in order to entice airlines. Carriers need to approach those numbers with trepidation. I'm not saying that the numbers aren't there, but I would still assume KL/NW would be more inclined to look at an all-premium product to start with..... and go from there.

northwestair

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:36 am

IF we were to start IND-AMS how are we suppose to pay for this route. I mean the last time I checked our Bank account isn't the best inthe industry. At this point NW doesn't need to spend it's money on foolish adventures like in IND-AMS. Maybe when we get out of BK and get a little more money we might start the route. my .02
I don't care who you fly just as long as you fly

roseflyer

Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 22):
They (Northwest) are already the largest carrier at IND by a good margin. Offering that route would be a good way to pull away business travelers from US, UA and DL.

US Airways still has quite a few flights and has a loyalty base. US flies to PHX, BOS, LGA, PHL, DCA, CLT and PIT along with codesharing to ORD, DEN and IAD with United. I think adding international flights would cement the business travelers towards going to NW. Northwest's focus city is a recent addition and it takes a lot to convince people to switch loyalty. US had a small hub with about 100 flights out of IND about 10 years ago.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

1MillionFlyer

Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Eyeonthesky17 (Reply 40):
Seat Load Factors.

I think the correct term is Load Factor (Seat load factor is not an industry term. kind of like "finals" on A.net")  

[Edited 2006-02-27 01:02:44]
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

Indy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:04 am

Quoting Northwestair (Reply 42):
IF we were to start IND-AMS how are we suppose to pay for this route. I mean the last time I checked our Bank account isn't the best inthe industry. At this point NW doesn't need to spend it's money on foolish adventures like in IND-AMS. Maybe when we get out of BK and get a little more money we might start the route. my .02

The timing if this happens will work out nicely. It really can't happen until the 2nd half of 2008 because of facilities issues. Alot of the financial problems should be corrected by then. Plus I believe NW is schedule to receive delivery of more long haul jets by then as well. Also as I mentioned earlier in this thread I think a local grant would help get it going.

ATAIndy

Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:08 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 11):
Quoting PanHAM (Reply 1):

It started. This past friday was the 2nd flight. I waited on the IND parking garage for 45 minutes to take a pic of the 744 but it didn't show up. It came in like 2 hours late. I wasn't prepared to wait in the cold wind quite that long. I'll try again next friday Smile.

Of course everybody else can go on top of the parking garage and not get in trouble by security, but when I go...
I didn't know about the Cargolux serivce, AWESOME!!!
Boiler up! - Next flights: IND-MIA, MIA-IND

fedexexpress

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:09 am

Where is the 744 Cargolux parking once on the ground at IND?

yow

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:35 am

I always am amazed at how many large cities in the U.S. do not generate enough demand for flights to Europe compared to say Canada. Cities the size of IND can't support a direct link to Europe, yet cities as small as St. John's in Canada have a connection across the bond.

I guess it just goes to show Americans don't travel outside of their borders as often. (my remarks are meant to be bashful, just an observation)

galapagapop

Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:25 pm

This sounds much like the dreaming happening at BDL. Both IND BDL certainly could support daily 757's to a multitude of international destinations, but instead of filling this gap you must go else were such as BOS and JFK or DTW and ORD

fedexexpress

Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:29 pm

That is something I don't understand. I know Northwest is in money troubles. But would it not make sense to fly from IND to places like AMS, FRA, LHR things like that point to point instead of flying 300 people from IND to DTW or hell MSP for that matter then going over. I know you could make a 757 work from IND to AMS for sure. IND is growing now at huge numbers but it is growing. I just don't think people thought IND would be where it was at. For that matter CVG just might be a used to be International airport. If Delta pulls out i can guarentee you that all that stuff to Europe will BE gone!!