TPAnx
Topic Author

NWA Ops

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:28 am

My boss is in a very bad mood this morning. She flew NWA to DTW Friday..flight was a half hour late leaving TPA because the flight crew's plane was late getting in. Understandable, if not desirable.
Coming back Sunday, her flight DW-TPA left an hour late, She checked two bags, and NWA lost one! Because of the late arrival, there was no one at the NWA baggage office. What gives??
TPAnx  Confused
I read the news today..oh boy

neilalp

RE: NWA Ops

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:19 am

Quoting TPAnx (Thread starter):
there was no one at the NWA baggage office. What gives??

Sadly, office people tend to clock out when their shift is done. This happened to me with Midwest Express back in Jan. I'm not sure if baggage staff is supposed to wait until the last plane comes in, but I'm sure the Union has something to say about it all.

I hope you can locate the bag. I would pay an additional $.25 on each luggage to have an RFID tag in it and all airport equiped with readers to give up to the second tracking on my bags. If Walmart can do it with Cheerios why not my luggage. I know it is just cost of capital putting in the readers, but it might be worth it.

JBo

Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Neilalp (Reply 1):
If Walmart can do it with Cheerios why not my luggage. I know it is just cost of capital putting in the readers, but it might be worth it.

Other than the fact that with bags, tags rarely get put on in the same spot on every bag, every time.....so searching around for every tag on every bag to hit it with a reader is rather tedious, especially when you're trying to make time.

I don't think we'll ever have a perfect system for tracking luggage unless every piece of luggage you buy comes with a GPS transmitter.

Quoting Neilalp (Reply 1):
This happened to me with Midwest Express back in Jan. I'm not sure if baggage staff is supposed to wait until the last plane comes in, but I'm sure the Union has something to say about it all.

As far as YX goes, unless it's pilots or mechanics, there's very little union staffing....NW's a different story.

I believe NW has a phone number she could have called to make a claim by phone. Most airlines do. Granted, it's not the preferred means to make a claim, but hopefully she got it all taken care of.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

neilalp

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 2):
Other than the fact that with bags, tags rarely get put on in the same spot on every bag, every time.....so searching around for every tag on every bag to hit it with a reader is rather tedious, especially when you're trying to make time.

RFID tags are Radio Frequency Identification and you never have to worry about where they are placed. They just transmit a frequency and the receiver can pick it up within "x" amount of feet.

Quoting JBo (Reply 2):
I don't think we'll ever have a perfect system for tracking luggage unless every piece of luggage you buy comes with a GPS transmitter.

RFID tags can really be like GPS in an airport or plane. Once you leave the area where the receivers are you are out of luck. So if someone steals your bag yes you are screwed. But if you bag falls off the belt and aiport 'x' it can be picked up by receivers telling you (the airline employee) it is in this area of the airport.

I'm not a supply chain 'wiz', but luggage and people with the airline are the basically the same as products are to mfg. companies. The airlines move people and bags and mfg. companies move products and you can use lots of the same technologies.