manchesteruk

Airlines Court Manchester United

Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:58 am

Middle eastern airlines eye up Manchester United for shirt sponsorship when vodafone runs out soon.. it could also involve the renaming of old trafford.
As a manchester united fan an and i know many others im sure this will cause some fury, as its been the name for 100 years+
and as its one of the richest football teams in the world im sure this could only be a positive move for any airline your views??????????

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/me...328_airlines_court_man_united.html

DavidT

RE: Airlines Court Manchester United

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:41 am

I'll take the highest bidder, as long as OT doesn't get renamed. Anything but that  Smile

Google / MS / Etihad will all do for me...

KA501

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting DavidT (Reply 1):

Its a pity ''CITY AIRLINES'' don't have that sort of financial power Big grin

manchesteruk

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:25 am

i wonder how vodafone went on maybe if there profits have soared they will make sure they bid the highest..... and i bet the majority of fans havnt even heard of the airlines in question.

TinkerBelle

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:27 am

I'd love to see Virgin Atlantic on Man-U's shirts....and maybe Ryanair on Arsenal's  biggrin 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

superhub

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 4):
I'd love to see Virgin Atlantic on Man-U's shirts....and maybe Ryanair on Arsenal's

How about BA on Arsenal's? Very appropriate for such kind of rivalries between the two clubs/airlines.

manchesteruk

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:37 am

I'd love to see Virgin Atlantic on Man-U's shirts....and maybe Ryanair on Arsenal's

me too  highfive  and maybe easy jet on liverpools Big grin

TinkerBelle

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Superhub (Reply 5):
How about BA on Arsenal's? Very appropriate for such kind of rivalries between the two clubs/airlines.

That would be pretty neat.

Quoting Manchesteruk (Reply 6):
me too highfive and maybe easy jet on liverpools

..and Indepedence Air (The one that just went belly up) on Chelsea's.  duck 

yowza

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting Manchesteruk (Reply 3):
i wonder how vodafone went on maybe if there profits have soared they will make sure they bid the highest

Given the global appeal of Man U any company choosing to pay for such a sponsorship would want something to appear on the shirt that would appeal to a global audience. Vodafone can not really maximize their advertising dollar in this role as they operate in many different countries under different name. In the US they are 45% of Verizon in Chile they are Smartcom etc etc. To compund this Vodafone is quite light off the grounf in Asia where Man U has a huge support base. With all that in mind I don't see Vodafone being interested in the future.

Ryanair on Arsenal's

Emirates will be the shirt sponsor, they have inked a 100M$ deal including naming rights to their new Stadium.

As for renaming OT, well it's just a sign of the time. The could always rename just the field and not the stadium itself so it would be "Welcome to Etihad Field at Old Trafford. Today Man U vs xxx"

PS Has anyone else noticed the QR billboards appearing all round EPL grounds in the last few weeks?

YOWza

SQno1

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:55 am

I read a story during the weekend in one of the newspapers that the online gambling chain Mansion was the front runner for a sponsorship deal with Manchester United with a £100 million pound, five year deal.

Sorry to let down those who wanted Old Trafford to be called the Etihad Stadium or the Qatar Airways Dome!  Wink

With Regards,
Alex.B

manchesteruk

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:49 am

qatar airways also sponsors the news here...in assocition with qatar airways it says at the end of bulletins.... not sure if its bbc1 or itv though..as itv already has bmi baby sponsoring it.

BAxMAN

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:14 am

I would love to see BA become United's sponsors. This would cause utter revulsion amongst the large MAN community on this forum who despise BA for their lack of interest in MAN and, at the same time, have the cheek to call themselves 'British' Airways.

Unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen.

I wouldn't like seeing EY as sponsor of United. They are just too much of a 2nd division airline at the moment. A nice, established Premier League style brand such as Microsoft would be much more appropriate.

Quoting Superhub (Reply 5):

BD are/were the official airline of the Gooners. Not sure how EK's involvement with Arsenal will affect this deal.
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/abou...essreleases.aspx?year=2004&rid=495
I need to get laid

yowza

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 11):
Microsoft

You serious? Microsoft will not waste their money, they are already laughing in the profits this woudl be a pointless exercise. Also EY is not second rate despite what your pride in the UK may have you believe.

YOWza

TinkerBelle

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:41 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 12):
. Also EY is not second rate despite what your pride in the UK may have you believe.

LOL.. What's with the bitterness?

Candid76

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting BAxMAN (Reply 11):
BD are/were the official airline of the Gooners. Not sure how EK's involvement with Arsenal will affect this deal

BD would be good sponsors - they could codeshare with the rest of the Premiership!

mhodgson

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Scot Airways sponsor Tottenham, and fly them to most of their northern games (either into BLK or MAN).
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

vsflyer747400

Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:19 pm

Quoting Manchesteruk (Reply 10):
qatar airways also sponsors the news here...in assocition with qatar airways it says at the end of bulletins.... not sure if its bbc1 or itv though..as itv already has bmi baby sponsoring it.

QR sponsors the weather slots on sky news. Shame UA are still financially not to fit otherwise there would be a perfect sponsor for MUFC.
Being on: (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA

Candid76

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting VSFLYER747400 (Reply 16):
Shame UA are still financially not to fit otherwise there would be a perfect sponsor for MUFC.

Yes, especially if they actually served Manchester!

manchesteruk

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:33 pm

but it does Big grin lol...... how come it doesnt serve manchester ???

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stuart Prince

vsflyer747400

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 15):
Scot Airways sponsor Tottenham

Thomsons sponsor Tottenham.
Being on: (in no order) VS BA AA EK CX MH DL EI BD KL HV NW RC LH AF DA TG QF US FR LX AC SK AZ PG SQ UA PA

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:39 pm

Just can't see the "Qatar Airways stadium" or the "Etihad arena" happening, it will cause a storm amongst the fans. I can see a sponsorship deal being done though, a la Arsenal/Emirates.

Also EY is not second rate despite what your pride in the UK may have you believe.

Not second rate, but it's not an airline that's known very well over here (yet), Emirates are easily the most recognisable Middle East airline in the UK.
In Arsene we trust!!

mhodgson

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting Arsenal@LHR (Reply 20):
Just can't see the "Qatar Airways stadium" or the "Etihad arena" happening, it will cause a storm amongst the fans.

So did the Glazier's taking over - but its a case of put up or shut up. The fans can burn all the effigies they want but it won't change a thing. I've not seen Arsenal fans protestng at moving to the Emirates Stadium.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

manchesteruk

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 21):
So did the Glazier's taking over - but its a case of put up or shut up. The fans can burn all the effigies they want but it won't change a thing. I've not seen Arsenal fans protestng at moving to the Emirates Stadium.

arsenal are making 30000 more tickets at their new stadium so of course they wont moan, they can jus see pound signs flashing in their eyes. we were protesing about being taken over by glaziers not about moving a grounds

edka

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:05 am

link to the similar thread in Non-Av forum

New Man Utd Shirt Sponsor?

fbgdavidson

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 8):
"Welcome to Etihad Field at Old Trafford. Today Man U vs xxx"

"Budweiser introduce Soccertainment, forget half time entertainment let's have Monster trucks! Middlesborough FC, now Middlesborough Red and White Socks...no more boring 0-0 draws, now added-time multiball"

etc etc
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

yowza

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 13):
LOL.. What's with the bitterness?

No bitterness. I'm just tired of people bashing every GCC carrier and anything they do despite many people never having even flown them. I'm not Arab or Muslim nor am I a bleeding heart liberal but some of the closet distrust and (dare I say) racism floating around this site is ridiculous. The fact of the matter is many people are more comfortable with the idea of seeing an Arab on a camel than in a Ferrari which is just wrong. The bulk of the time this is fueled by petty jealousy but that does not make it any less vile.

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 24):
"Budweiser introduce Soccertainment, forget half time entertainment let's have Monster trucks! Middlesborough FC, now Middlesborough Red and White Socks...no more boring 0-0 draws, now added-time multiball"

I never said I liked the commercialization but it's an option.

YOWza

jacobin777

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:38 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 25):
No bitterness. I'm just tired of people bashing every GCC carrier and anything they do despite many people never having even flown them. I'm not Arab or Muslim nor am I a bleeding heart liberal but some of the closet distrust and (dare I say) racism floating around this site is ridiculous. The fact of the matter is many people are more comfortable with the idea of seeing an Arab on a camel than in a Ferrari which is just wrong. The bulk of the time this is fueled by petty jealousy but that does not make it any less vile.

YOWza, I couldn't agree with you more, just go to the nonav forum and you'll see all the "closet distrust" come out in full force........every 3rd thread is about Muslims or Arabs..
"Up the Irons!"

manchesteruk

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:30 pm

maybe he meant EY is least well known than others hey..

UK_Dispatcher

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:38 pm

As much as I hate Man U, I think it would be good for Etihad to get the sponsorship deal - great worldwide publicity, especially with the AUH-MAN service starting later this month.

I have to say, though, I'd much rather see the Etihad logo against the black & white stripes of Newcastle Utd - now you're talking!

Wink

BAxMAN

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:35 am

Also EY is not second rate despite what your pride in the UK may have you believe

Goodness. I didn't mean to trigger some sort of inferiority complex. Sorry.

What was meant by the remark is that EY are simply a poor man's EK. We already have Pepsi at Old Trafford and are having our noses royally rubbed into the mud by Chelsea. It would therefore be nice to get a more prestigious brand on Wayne Rooney's chest.

Quoting UK_Dispatcher (Reply 28):
I have to say, though, I'd much rather see the Etihad logo against the black & white stripes of Newcastle Utd - now you're talking!

Good idea! These two companies with delusions of grandeur are ideally matched!
I need to get laid

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos