FATFlyer
Topic Author

Allegiant: Over 30 New Cities In Next 2-3 Years

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:09 am

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, I was gone all weekend and have been getting caught up.

In an appearance at the Airport Revenue News Conference in Las Vegas, Allegiant CEO Maurice Gallagher discussed the future of his company. Among the notable comments from the media coverage:

• G4 will nearly double in size in the next two to three years with plans to serve 70 cities.
  • Gallagher figures there are about 130 small cities with airports capable of serving Allegiant's jets.
  • Allegiant struggled last year to cope with the rising cost of fuel, and Gallagher said it would be important to control costs in the future.
  • Gallagher was critical of airports that turned their fuel concessions over to contracted vendors. He said Allegiant has passed on serving some cities because an independent vendor priced fuel too high to make it affordable for the airline to go there.

http://www.inbusinesslasvegas.com/2006/02/24/feature1.html

The number of new cities should be enough to satisfy all guessers for awhile.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

vegasplanes

RE: Allegiant: Over 30 New Cities In Next 2-3 Years

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:24 am

Good to hear G4 is growing nicely. Seems like they plan on adding most of the destinations from LAS not SFB. They also mention doubling the fleet, maybe some of the 26 Mad Dogs being retired by AS ? Or might DL be droping any MD-88's ?

RL757PVD

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:34 am

NK is dumping a bunch, meaning they would ge getting 4th hand MD80s now.

Itd be nice if they actually developed some kind of network for passengers to travel though rather that just only LAS or SFB.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:36 am

G4 has been careful about the aircraft they pick up.

as739x

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:43 am

Hey G4...Alaska will have some Mad-Dog's available soon!

I'd like to see G4 do this. I have a soft spot in my avaiation heart for this company!

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

PVD757

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 3):
G4 has been careful about the aircraft they pick up.

well, frankly, they need to be since MD80's not being flown by AA/DL/AS are getting up there in age, hours, etc.

Since no one else has (and the fact that I love to play the guessing game with new service), I'll throw out just a few POSSIBLE picks for new service (I'll stick to the northeast since I know that best):

BTV-SFB
BGR-SFB
TTN-SFB
Wimington, DE-SFB
ITH-SFB
BGM-SFB
ELM-SFB
PLB-SFB
AVP-SFB (if Hooters isn't still doing it)
GRB-SFB
PIA-SFB
SYR or UCA-SFB
MDT-SFB
ROA-SFB
SHV-SFB
DHN-SFB & LAS

etc.

chase

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:06 am

Hmm...so what we need here is a list of the largest cities in the US without commercial air service, sorted by population, and sorted by distance to a city that does have air service.
I'll venture Columbia or Jeff. City, MO as a guess. EVV would work well for them, too, I think, although they don't fall into the "currently without service" category IIRC.

Kohflot

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:27 am

Unless they plan on doing one-stoppers, I just don't see how the majority of the eastern time zone is within MD80 range to LAS...
Ask why..

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting Chase (Reply 6):
what we need here is a list of the largest cities in the US without commercial air service

Not necessarily, many of the cities Allegiant has chosen already have some service to 1 or 2 hubs on a regional carrier. G4 looks for cities that have no service to LAS or SFB. And there is talk of more focus-type cities.

ERJ170

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:55 am

I predict that G4 NC operations will be at GSO and ILM.. for some reasons.. I just really have that feeling.. don't ask me why..
Aiming High and going far..

ATLgaUSA

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 5):
DHN-SFB & LAS

I just can't imagine that Dothan could support service to either of those. The only reason DHN even has scheduled service at all is for the military traffic to Fort Rucker. Plus, Dothan to Orlando is only about a 4 hour drive. In Alabama, Hunstville, Mobile, or Montgomery possibly but not DHN.

Humberside

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 8):
And there is talk of more focus-type cities.

Would some of these be possibilities?

Laughlin
St Petersburg (for Tampa)
Melbourne (or is it a bit too close to Sanford?)

Also is it likely in the future, Allegiant will fly on Tuesday's to markets with demand for more than 6 weekly flights? I know they do maintenance and charters on Tuesdays but as the airline grows, doesnt this practise become a bit inefficient?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:46 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 11):
Laughlin
St Petersburg (for Tampa)
Melbourne (or is it a bit too close to Sanford?)

I've heard a few thrown around:
TPA/PIE area
RSW
Other Florida cities including something in the panhandle.
RNO

Personally, I've been pondering Springfield/Branson lately. But I would want more info on visitor demographics. Could packages be developed and enough people pay to fly there, I'm not sure right now. Maybe only a few select markets would work.

Quoting Humberside (Reply 11):
doesnt this practise become a bit inefficient?

Not necessarily. Take a look at schedules for other carriers and you will see reduced schedules on Saturdays or Sundays due to lower demand and the need for Mx. Those are stronger days for leisure travel (G4's market) so they use Tuesday instead. Allegiant might add service on Tuesdays but it would need to be a very strong market. In my mind it is more likely you would see 2 flights on the busiest days if a market needed it.

CO7e7

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Thread starter):
G4 will nearly double in size in the next two to three years with plans to serve 70 cities

What about a newer fleet ? I know they operate 15 MD-80s (87 and 83)...

stirling

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 12):
Personally, I've been pondering Springfield/Branson lately. But I would want more info on visitor demographics. Could packages be developed and enough people pay to fly there, I'm not sure right now. Maybe only a few select markets would work.

Excerpt from the USAToday travel section, I think it was yesterday.....

Missouri’s Springfield-Branson National Airport set its all-time passenger record in 2005 with 888,738 fliers. That number jumped 23% over 2004, giving the airport its biggest-ever single-year increase. “That overall passenger number is small potatoes compared to the big hubs, but when the FAA puts out the official 2005 numbers in June, we think we’ll end up as the fastest growing airport in the country,” airport spokesman Kent Boyd tells me. And airport Director Gary Cyr seems to agree, telling the Springfield News-Leader that his gut tells him Springfield will earn that distinction. “Are we the fastest growing airport? I'd like to not only say 'yeah' but 'hell, yeah,'" he says. "I would really like to know so I can brag about it."

Cyr is also excited about the possibility of another a significant achievement: topping the 1-million passenger mark. “That would be a tremendous milestone," Cyr says, adding that could make the airport more attractive to new airlines. Could that include Southwest? "An airport that has the traffic — we take that into account as we consider airports," Southwest spokeswoman Marilee McInnis tells the News-Leader. And already in January '06, Springfield’s numbers are up 15% over the same month in 2005, meaning the airport’s passenger count could take another big jump this year.

What’s behind the growth? “It’s a combination of things," Boyd says, adding that tourism to nearby Branson (45 miles) and population growth in southwest Missouri play a role. National trends could also be at play. Boyd says higher gas prices may have convinced local fliers to choose Springfield instead of driving to the larger nearby airports of Kansas City, St. Louis or Tulsa. He also cites “the traveling trend of avoiding the hassle of busier airports.”
Delete this User

mtnwest1979

Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:02 am

I'll throw out a few to LAS-
ROW- Roswell,NM
SJT- San Angelo,TX
RDM- Redmond/Bend,OR
CPR- Casper,WY
SLN- Salina,KS
GRI- Grand Island,NE
XNA- NW Arkansas
MFR- Medford,OR
GTF- Great Falls,MT
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

CMHSRQ

Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 am

I've heard a few thrown around:
TPA/PIE area
RSW
Other Florida cities including something in the panhandle.
RNO

Forget them, go to SRQ. They will give G4 some great incentives to fly there. No Southwest or USAirways non-stops to LAS to compete with either. Would you like me to put you in contact with the air service director?

Tunica might be a new focus city???
The voice of moderation

eraugrad02

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:08 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 9):
I predict that G4 NC operations will be at GSO and ILM.. for some reasons.. I just really have that feeling.. don't ask me why..

We at ILM have been trying to get service to Orlando, FL at least twice a week. It's one of our top 5 destinations. DL Conx was going to do it but after the bnkrptcy they haven't added it.
Desmond MacRae in ILM

stlgph

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:32 am

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 16):

You're joking, right?

But I would want more info on visitor demographics.

Mostly bus tours. A few more names would need to set up shop there and perhaps real business can begin.

RSW

Perhaps too seasonal?

TPA/PIE area

Might work, especially in the summer. Or could perhaps complement Ft. Myers...with Ft. Myers in the winter and Tampa in the summer time.

And USA 3000 continues to grow which might put a damper in Allegiant's ideas for services to Ft. Myers or Tampa area.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

kcrwflyer

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:33 am

Ahem* with 70 new cities, I actually like CRWs chances. Does anyone else?

COERJ145

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:33 am

If they added some 73Gs to their fleet, they could do some east coast to vegas runs. Also, if they are doing so well, why not bring back the free drinks/snacks? I wouldn't want to be stuck on a 4-5hr flight with no drinks/snacks avalible for free.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 14):
tourism to nearby Branson (45 miles)

That is one of the things that intrigues me. Also I wonder if some East Coast-SGF-LAS one-stops combined with a few East Coast-SGF flights to fill the plane west would make sense on the numbers side. But the cost of handling connections may not be worth it, let alone if SGF could handle the flights. But given the range issue, until Allegiant goes to a second aircraft type they need a way to hop to LAS.

Forget them, go to SRQ. They will give G4 some great incentives to fly there. No Southwest or USAirways non-stops to LAS to compete with either.

I was talking about possible focus-type cities, not a spoke for LAS. Isn't SRQ-LAS beyond the range of a MD-8x?

The thing I like about G4 is they look long-term not short-term. So they usually only look for a few incentives from a spoke city, usually about 6 months of fee waivers plus some airport paid marketing. Those are needed just so the route gets off to a good start. A city that needs much more than that to attract a carrier may not fit the Allegiant model.

Would you like me to put you in contact with the air service director?

Thanks, but since I don't work for Allegiant it wouldn't do much good. Unless they would send me some freebie like an "I've been to SRQ" t-shirt or something (and yes I have been to the SRQ airport  Wink ).

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 am

Quoting STLGph (Reply 18):
Mostly bus tours. A few more names would need to set up shop there and perhaps real business can begin.

I was wondering if there has been a trend away from that market. It just seemed like one of the few mid-continent areas that would match up with the type of flights Allegiant is trying to do.

Perhaps too seasonal?

That is the problem I see with many of the potential new focus sites. But then again I was surprised to see WN not be concerned about seasonality at RSW.

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 19):
with 70 new cities, I actually like CRWs chances. Does anyone else?

Good chance if the numbers make sense.

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 20):
If they added some 73Gs to their fleet, they could do some east coast to vegas runs.

True but how would the costs of a 2nd aircraft type impact the company. It is a problem they should address but the question is the timing. It may not make sense to look at a different aircraft until such time as they are ready to refleet.

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 20):
Also, if they are doing so well, why not bring back the free drinks/snacks?

Personally I have doubts about that happening. They have a strong culture to control costs to keep the fares low.

stirling

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:01 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 22):
It may not make sense to look at a different aircraft until such time as they are ready to refleet.

Especially since so many used frames can be had on the used market for bargain prices.

What about the MD-87?
Should they try finding some more?
I know Allegiant they already have a few, what kind of range do these birds have? I know its more than the standard -80 series. But how much more?

The article I posted doesn't really get into it, so what is the reason for all the growth in passengers at SGF? If not partially attributed to the Bible Belt Vegas?

I take it they have their own airport?
But, to tap that market, wouldn't it make sense to do so thru MEM? I realize the NW hub there is an obstacle, and so might gate space....
And then again, with the Gulf coast tourist area being smashed by Katrina, maybe the state is willing to wheel and deal to bring tourist dollars back into Mississippi?
Just thinking out loud-don't shoot me! Heck, the way Allegiant has gone against the grain of Conventional Wisdom, I'd say anything is possible!
Delete this User

N908AW

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:30 am

Eh...I'm not even going to say the city, but some of you know...

Add [insert N908AW's hometown here]!
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 am

Quoting Stirling (Reply 23):
Especially since so many used frames can be had on the used market for bargain prices.

Mad Dogs are selling these days at what $7-8 million? Allegiant can stretch its capital a long ways at those prices.

toltommy

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:37 am

when they announced withdrawl from TOL-LAS last week, they said that was currently their longest route. Since it likely used most fuel, and load factors weren't high enough, they gave it up. I'd say most of their LAS expansion with current fleet will take place to the west of us....

B757capt

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:38 am

Hooters does NOT serve SFB. Only MCO.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

iowaman

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting Vegasplanes (Reply 1):
Seems like they plan on adding most of the destinations from LAS not SFB.

They need more check-in counter space desperately at LAS, I flew out on the 19th of last month and I was there a little after 6am, the lines were already extremely long, and they only had two people working the counter. Also I would think they would eventually need more gates?? That could be a problem in LAS too.

Quoting ATLgaUSA (Reply 10):
DHN-SFB & LAS

I just can't imagine that Dothan could support service to either of those.

DHN would be maxing out range from LAS anyways.

I actually like CRWs chances. Does anyone else?

Yes.

Ahem* with 70 new cities

There will be 70 total cities, not new.

QXatFAT

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:44 am

well, frankly, they need to be since MD80's not being flown by AA/DL/AS are getting up there in age, hours, etc.

So do you think it would even be wise for them to take MD 80's from AS, AA, or DL if they are getting up there in age and hours? They would have to replace them really soon after getting them. Do they get much flights with places close to LAS? I would think that HP would beat them to the LAS flights.
Don't Tread On Me!

kcrwflyer

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 29):
They would have to replace them really soon after getting them.

Why? With proper maintenance they can probably fly them as long as they need to.

QXatFAT

Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 30):
Why? With proper maintenance they can probably fly them as long as they need to.

Well with the MD 80's from AS it might be a stretch. You can just point the fingers at the Execuatives. The places obveusly seem to have something wrong with them even with working on them. Its the time for AS to start replacing them. Do you think G4 has the money to maintain them? The whole point is to make money on the routes right? Not to keep putting money into the birds to just be able to move them to the jetway.
Don't Tread On Me!

PVD757

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 29):
So do you think it would even be wise for them to take MD 80's from AS, AA, or DL if they are getting up there in age and hours?

I was simply saying some of G4's MD80 are more than simply second hand. There is nothing wrong with them as far as safety goes, but the long term future of this fleet is well, not as long term as most other carriers. Ask NK how they are making out with a fleet of second+hand MD80's - they're just not effecient in general.

exFATboy

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:14 am

Forget them, go to SRQ. They will give G4 some great incentives to fly there.

I'll bet you that whatever incentives SRQ offers, PIE would match or beat...all they've got domestically right now is USA3000 and Hooters Air. And for G4's market niche, PIE's central location might be preferable.

TomTurner

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:19 am

I think we'll see them KcrwFlyer. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tom Turner

Tom

ERJ170

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:28 am

Well they have made quite a few ILM-RDU-LAS flights over the years.. so I think they could do east coast flights with their MadDoggs..

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Stephenson

DTWAGENT

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:28 am

I do know one thing they do not stay in any market that is not doing well for them. They drop them like a hot potatoe. The just stated in a news briefing that the are not longer flying from TOL to LAS. However, they are keeping the SFB flights and are going daily with them. The load factors have been great for them on that route.

Cadet57

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:30 am

SOT but how are they doing in Wochester Ma?

Plus any thoughts on PVD or BDL?
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

kcrwflyer

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 35):
Well they have made quite a few ILM-RDU-LAS flights over the years.. so I think they could do east coast flights with their MadDoggs..

Are they full of pax and baggage? They may have had them weight restricted.

I know the CRW-RNO charters stop in ICT or PIA, but were only working with 6,300 ft. here.

ERJ170

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 38):
They may have had them weight restricted

They had to do a full stop at RDU.. they couldn't make it non-stop ILM-LAS... so a stopover in RDU for fuel.. and then str8 to LAS

JBirdAV8r

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:04 pm

I'll throw TYS-SFB in the list for "almost definite" new destinations.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

kcrwflyer

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 39):
They had to do a full stop at RDU.. they couldn't make it non-stop ILM-LAS... so a stopover in RDU for fuel.. and then str8 to LAS

I'm Impressed.

san747

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:05 pm

How about SAN? How about a completely unserved city of 80,000 people within a half hour drove of 300,000 other people, Hemet, CA (HMT/KHMT)? An airport that formerly based its own regional airline... On the other hand, could an MD-87 do the 220-mile HMT-LAS route with 4,300 feet of runway?

san747  wave 
Scotty doesn't know...

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 32):
Ask NK how they are making out with a fleet of second+hand MD80's - they're just not effecient in general.

Different business model. Spirit basically tries to operate like a small traditional airline. It needs to be efficient to maintain low fares for business and leisure travellers.

Allegiant's focus on leisure travel means they sell a high number of vacation packages which supplement the fares. A high travel day only schedule, charges for services, high load factors on all flights, no frequent flyer program, etc. allows Allegiant to deal with a little less efficient aircraft at this time.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 37):
how are they doing in Wochester Ma?

Fairly well I understand. Something in the neighborhood of 75-80% load factors I hear.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 37):
Plus any thoughts on PVD or BDL?

Unlikely since both already have Orlando service. New Haven would have a better chance than the other 2.

FATFlyer
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:33 pm

Quoting JBirdAV8r (Reply 40):
I'll throw TYS-SFB in the list for "almost definite" new destinations.

That would be interesting, would they go against a couple of current RJ flights to Orlando? I don't think so but who knows.

Quoting San747 (Reply 42):
How about SAN?

Nah. My thought has always been Carlsbad.

Quoting San747 (Reply 42):
How about a completely unserved city of 80,000 people within a half hour drove of 300,000 other people, Hemet, CA

Interesting thought.

iowaman

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 36):
The just stated in a news briefing that the are not longer flying from TOL to LAS.

Is this because of having to stop for fuel sometimes and/or weight restrictions I wonder?

atcrick

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 39):
Quoting KcrwFlyer (Reply 38):
They may have had them weight restricted

First of all, ERJ170, G4 would not fuel stop in RDU, it would be more likely in ICT. If we stopped in RDU it was to pick up pax. Get ur facts straight before you post them about my airline.

Kcrwflyer, you all gotta love this guy for his dedication to his cityl Keep the faith kcrwflyer, we're coming.

FATFlyer, email me your address again so I can send you the Allegiant Model.
Anybody else interested? 10 bucks each. Quite a bargain.
natch!!

stirling

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 44):
My thought has always been Carlsbad.

Yes, that makes more sense.
Delete this User

QXatFAT

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:49 pm

Nah. My thought has always been Carlsbad

FATFlyer: That is actually a good idea. Good idea on that one.

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 43):
Ask NK how they are making out with a fleet of second+hand MD80's - they're just not effecient in general.

I actually know quite a few people that fly the Spirit from DTW-LAX quite often. I think that is a good flight. I have flown it before as well.

I will admit that I have a pretty strong bias as well. I am not a big MD 80 fan. But I do take in consideration that alot of airlines rely on them and like them. I will get my neck ringed out with this but, thats the reason why I try not to fly with AA is because of the MD 80's.  gasp 
Don't Tread On Me!

JBirdAV8r

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:59 pm

That would be interesting, would they go against a couple of current RJ flights to Orlando? I don't think so but who knows.

I think a 2-3x weekly service could pull a pretty good profit. From what I understand, TYS has been on the roadmap for a good while. I don't see it coming for at the least another 6+ months, but I do know they've been looking at it for a long time.

I think G4 is an underrated airline that's found a really good niche. Kudos to Maury Gallagher and team.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet