phuebner

Plans For Midwest At MCI?

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:20 am

Does anybody know what Midwest Airlines is planning at MCI? Are they expanding there? I do know that they have either set up a hub operation or at least a focus city.
Remember this, Your Body is a temple Not a pull toy!

Humberside

RE: Plans For Midwest At MCI?

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:27 am

I think Midwest are just targeting underserved markets out off MCI. They aren't trying to develop a hub, although connecting oppurtunites may be available. Their operations at MCI are best described as a focus city
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

steeler83

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:02 am

How is that one daily from MCI-PIT doing? I forget how long that route has been in service, besides not that long. October, I think is when it started...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

md90fan

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 2):
How is that one daily from MCI-PIT doing? I forget how long that route has been in service, besides not that long. October, I think is when it started...

I've read on here that it does pretty good for YX, and they even use a 717 on it  Smile

I read on here not too long ago that YX was going to build up at MCI and possibly announce service to AUS and COS
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

IADCRJ

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:02 am

Does Midwest have any intentions of bringing Skyways into the MCI market to open up new region markets out of their for their Midwest connect network?

steeler83

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:09 am

I imagine it would have been doing well. Midwest used to only have those commuter jets to Milwaukee. I think they decided to add the mainline service because of the amount of people connecting from the PIT-MKE to MCI. MCI was dropped by US when US began to chop away at its hub in PIT.

The added YX service that you mentioned would be sweet. Any added service at any airport is nice...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

IADCRJ

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:15 am

PIT would be a great airport for YX if they ever have any intenions of opening up an east coast "Focus" of hub city. Hopefully they will consider this in the future  Smile .

mke717spotter

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:16 am

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 4):
Does Midwest have any intentions of bringing Skyways into the MCI market to open up new region markets out of their for their Midwest connect network?

yes possibly if that forever on going duscussion on the 328 jets that they would get from the old delat connection carrier, this first thing to do though would be to replace the b1900's out of MKE
btw-anyone know how close this deal is to being completed as it has been going on forever now Embarrassment
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

steeler83

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 6):
PIT would be a great airport for YX if they ever have any intenions of opening up an east coast "Focus" of hub city. Hopefully they will consider this in the future .

Deeeecent  pray 
If PIT decided to reopen the commuter E concourse, there would be tons of room in the main concourse. That would be the elimination of some 13 US Airways gates and a handful of other gates operated by AA, DL, UA, and NW.

I wish that the E concourse was never shut down. I have actually made a sketch of what I would like for PIT to look like in 10 years. A rebuilt/reopened E concourse and making concourse into an all international concourse. I do realize that these are just lofty possibilities of course.

With that empty space available, or even if MW did show some interest in building up an East Coast hub or focus city, I am sure that the airport authority will do what they can to allow MW to do so... I am sure that O&D between KC would be through the ceiling

TVNWZ

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:31 am

Midwest is not very big. A hub doesn't look like much compared to bigger airlines. they will adjust MCI as needed to make the best use of their aircraft. I think they have to do something bigger outside MKE to prosper...and MCI appears to be that place.

They have other things to work out as well. The 717's are about ordered and YX must find another aircraft to expand with. And those MD-80's appear to have dispatch reliability problems. At least it is my experience every time I go to TPA. Always late.

They are a nice airline. Signature Service is other-worldly. But, you wonder what their future is in today's world.

Tornado82

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 8):
If PIT decided to reopen the commuter E concourse, there would be tons of room in the main concourse.

Don't forget, there are still tons of un/underused gates in the main terminal at PIT. No need to open up the wind tunnel until they use up the real gates, which is a long way from happening. There would be enough room in the main terminal for someone to put a focus city in right now if they so desired, without anyone touching E.

steeler83

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:14 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 10):
Don't forget, there are still tons of un/underused gates in the main terminal at PIT. No need to open up the wind tunnel until they use up the real gates, which is a long way from happening. There would be enough room in the main terminal for someone to put a focus city in right now if they so desired, without anyone touching E.

Yeah that is true. Concourses C and D only have 10 gates on each in use right now... and each concourse has or is capable of having 25 gates... A previous statement about MW's next product does stir some interest. The 717 is no longer in production. Suppose they look into the 737NG, would they be inerested in establishing a second hub or focus city then-suppose in PIT?

CentPIT

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 11):
Suppose they look into the 737NG, would they be inerested in establishing a second hub or focus city then-suppose in PIT?

I don't have an answer to that, but YX has stated they enjoy serving Pittsburgh and hope the good response from travelers in PIT continues.
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

steeler83

Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:51 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 12):
I don't have an answer to that, but YX has stated they enjoy serving Pittsburgh and hope the good response from travelers in PIT continues.

I don't blame you for having an answer for that. But at least the fact that they enjoy serving PIT is a positive... I know that MW is one of the best airlines in the industry with their young aircraft and inflight service. For that, if I had to make travel plans for Milwaukee or KC, I'd choose MW in a heart beat...

FutureFO

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:55 pm

MCI is a hub for YX. AL is planned to start operations in and out of there sometime in the future. DOn;t know if it is going to be with the 328Jet or the E140's that should be coming online in the near future.

Sean from MCO and SDF
I Don't know where I am anymore

legacytravel

Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:06 pm

I thought I read about YX starting service from MCI to SEA in the summer months is there any truth to that??
Mark in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

Tornado82

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 14):
or the E140's that should be coming online in the near future.

The 140's were nixed long ago.

Indy

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:44 am

MCI is a great location. The airport has character. I just don't know how well this 3 or 4 gates per security checkpoint thing will work in a hub environment. Isn't there any way to correct that problem?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

phuebner

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 17):
I just don't know how well this 3 or 4 gates per security checkpoint thing will work in a hub environment. Isn't there any way to correct that problem?

Southwest Airlines has a pretty good setup there. I would be certain that if any airline comes in there for a hub that modifications can be made to satisfy them.

jdwfloyd

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:30 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 11):
Yeah that is true. Concourses C and D only have 10 gates on each in use right now...

Concourse D is at it's max. Other than few one or two unused gates during the day on the end by AA you couldn't run too many more flights from there. After 2100 when all the termers are coming in there isn't room for even a 1900. C on the other hand could be used a bit better. But the only gates that are seldom used there are the international gates and the old DH gate. There is lots of room on B but a lot of those gates are used daily by all of the airlines for storage and overflow. A concourses is being utilized to all most capacity, other than between banks.

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting Jdwfloyd (Reply 19):

C is way under used. I think MW operates a gate or two on that concourse (FlyI used to before they folded) FL, UA, and USA3k have a few gates on there as well. I think USA3k is the only airline in the old international rotunda at the end...
On B, US anounced that they would reopen the 11 or so gates that they shut down. B has all mainline US service. Concourse A has the two WN gates, gates 2, 4, 6-12 are US mainline and gates 13-25 are US express.
I didn't realize that D is used to capacity. According to a link about PIT, the ends of concourses C and D were left open for possible expansion. I am not sure if and when that is supposed to happen. Maybe if someone stimulated some interest in establishing a hub there,  crossfingers , but I doubt that will happen in the near future... I think this about the third or so time I stated this. If it is, I apologise for the repetition...

Tornado82

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 20):
According to a link about PIT, the ends of concourses C and D were left open for possible expansion. I am not sure if and when that is supposed to happen. Maybe if someone stimulated some interest in establishing a hub there, crossfingers ,

Well, they'll send all of US's props, and maybe even stair-entered CRJ's back down to E before they'd ever start an unneccessary new construction project for C/D. Use what you've got first... considering it's not even paid for yet.

phuebner

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:12 am

Ummm....how is this dealing with MCI and Midwest Airlines?

Tornado82

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting Indy (Reply 17):
Isn't there any way to correct that problem?

Gut the interior of half a terminal/concourse/pier (whatever they call them there) and start over. It'll be costly, but a drastic remodelling to remedy that whole security issue is what it would take to make that place a real connecting hub.

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 21):
Use what you've got first... considering it's not even paid for yet.

That's true, Pittsburgh practically put itself in a financial hole building that airport... We taxpayers are still paying for that thing. It's a nice facility, no less...

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 23):
Gut the interior of half a terminal/concourse/pier (whatever they call them there) and start over. It'll be costly, but a drastic remodelling to remedy that whole security issue is what it would take to make that place a real connecting hub.

YX and MW seem to be expanding or wanting to expand at MCI... USAir had already made PIT into its super hub by the time they, Pittsburgh, and Allegheny County chose to build a new airport for better mainline and connection service. That's a good suggestion; MCI really should do the remodelling. Better connection and much less of a pain in the ass... It would cost a good chunk of cash, but not nearly as much as to construct a whole new airport from the ground up. Just curious, how old is MCI anyway?

phuebner

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 23):
Gut the interior of half a terminal/concourse/pier (whatever they call them there) and start over. It'll be costly, but a drastic remodelling to remedy that whole security issue is what it would take to make that place a real connecting hub

Sometimes I think about that, I mean dang! They have alot of room to expand the airport to make it able to handle more traffic. I love the airport and I am certain when they built it they had the consumer in mind but now adays with security consciousness being at the forefront how suitable is it? Years ago when Braniff II was out and utilizing MCI as their main hub there was an actual plan in works to add a concourse to one of the terminal buildings. It, obviously, never came to fruitation but it was an option. I wonder if it's possible to adapt the terminals ala DFW?

Tornado82

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting Phuebner (Reply 25):

Sometimes I think about that, I mean dang! They have alot of room to expand the airport to make it able to handle more traffic. I love the airport and I am certain when they built it they had the consumer in mind but now adays with security consciousness being at the forefront how suitable is it?

Another idea would be to build an "Landside terminal" which could be a pretty small building containing only ticket counters, baggage claims, and security... and then connect it via some kind of tunnel/walkway to the other 3 "airside terminals." You'd have one central security point, and you could connect the walkway to the 3 airsides in such a way that you can traverse all 3 terminals from inside security. Want to go from 1 to 3? Got your walking shoes on? Have at it, it's all secure. I don't know what the real estate issues are like for that kind of setup, however.

phuebner

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 26):
I don't know what the real estate issues are like for that kind of setup, however

I know what you're saying. That would be tough, though. MCI, within years ago, built up their parking garages within each terminal area. It's a pretty nice setup with tunnels to the terminals. I have always thought that there has got to be some way to incorporate those tunnels with each terminal and expansion purposes etc.

MUWarriors

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:03 am

Take this for what its worth (not a whole lot) but a few years ago Carol Skorinica (sp?) came to a class I was in at Marquette and said the long term goal for YX was to make MCI almost equal to MKE. Now this was before the 140's were cancelled, and the 717 options declined, but I would imagine they still hope to grow MCI to a decent sized (for YX) operation, maybe by moving some of the new 328's there (if that ever happens).

L1329II

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:05 pm

MCI was dedicated in 1972. As much as I would love to talk the airport up I really dont know how well it would serve as a hub. For O&D traffic the airport layout is wonderful but anyone wanting to connect will find its a little bit of a hassle. A bus in between terminals is almost unacceptable. Not to mention some of the rudest and overzealous TSA folks around. Just my opinion...

Short of starting over I dont know how MCI could be changed to meet the need of a hub...
"By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting L1329II (Reply 29):
MCI was dedicated in 1972. As much as I would love to talk the airport up I really dont know how well it would serve as a hub. For O&D traffic the airport layout is wonderful but anyone wanting to connect will find its a little bit of a hassle. A bus in between terminals is almost unacceptable. Not to mention some of the rudest and overzealous TSA folks around. Just my opinion...

Short of starting over I dont know how MCI could be changed to meet the need of a hub...

So, the terminal is over 30 years old, and it looks as though connection between terminals is somewhat on the poor side... Is there any public transit system linking that to downtown Kansas City, (I am sure there would be, but PIT really doesn't have any link other than a few bus routes.) Have any engineers come together to talk about terminal links, maybe by an underground tram? I am not sure of how the airport is laid out. I wonder if they'd even consider to add another concourse to add capacity and attract additional airlines, or even convince existing airlines at MCI, like YX to establish a hub... In the 1980s, USAir established their largest hub at PIT, and the city built a new airport so that US would be able to sustain hub status at PIT... (and I keep mentioning this, no more beatin this dead horse...) I wonder if MCI has the room to even consider this...

Indy

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:55 pm

I've only been to MCI once. Went on a day trip. Its a cool looking airport. It is the strangest one I've ever been to. I exit the plane and notice this glass wall maybe 20 feet or so in front of me. It may have been a bit more but not much more. I noticed security people checking passengers and I wondered what was going on. It took me a second to realize that this was the main security checkpoint. You could only get to 3 or 4 gates behind the security wall and had no access to any stores unless you wanted to take another trip through security. I looked the place over as good as I could and I just don't see how it can be corrected. Best I can tell is you would have to narrow the 3 inner road loops and add on to the interior of the concourses to allow for a more traditional land side. You could push security checkpoints then back on the other side of the stores. I'm sure a small tram could be put in place to allow for easy passage between the 3 terminals. It is a cool looking design from the air but they really painted themselves into a corner with it.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Tornado82

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 30):
I wonder if MCI has the room to even consider this...

Midwest will never be big enough to warrant that kind of massive capital expenditure. You're talking billions to build a new airport.

Quoting Indy (Reply 31):
It is a cool looking design from the air but they really painted themselves into a corner with it.

Sadly, that seems to be true. Interesting set up, but I think it's safe to say the "experiment" failed in the Post-9/11 world... they just couldn't foresee that in the 70's... actually late-60's when they must have been designing it.

MCIFlyer

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:15 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 30):
So, the terminal is over 30 years old, and it looks as though connection between terminals is somewhat on the poor side... Is there any public transit system linking that to downtown Kansas City, (I am sure there would be, but PIT really doesn't have any link other than a few bus routes.) Have any engineers come together to talk about terminal links, maybe by an underground tram? I am not sure of how the airport is laid out. I wonder if they'd even consider to add another concourse to add capacity and attract additional airlines, or even convince existing airlines at MCI, like YX to establish a hub... In the 1980s, USAir established their largest hub at PIT, and the city built a new airport so that US would be able to sustain hub status at PIT... (and I keep mentioning this, no more beatin this dead horse...) I wonder if MCI has the room to even consider this...

Yes, MCI is over 30 years old, but just completed a multi-million dollar renovation (see http://www.flykci.com/ for more information). Granted, the semi-circle terminals can create small problems for connecting between gates, but much of this was addressed in the renovation. Right now YX has at least 4 or 5 gates together (it doesn't sound like a lot, I know) beyond the security checkpoint. The airport has recently added bathrooms in the secured area, decreasing previously annoying bladder situations!

As one who flies from MCI quite often, I have to say that I'm always happy to return to my hometown airport after going through so many others.

MCI has plenty of gate space, and I'm sure if YX wanted to establish more gates here, it could. It might have to move terminals, though.

The terminals are SO close to each other that linking between one to the other is not difficult nor time consuming. There's a specific (red) bus dedicated to the task. Time from one terminal to another only takes a matter of a few minutes...if not less... certainly shorter than I've spent traveling the old TrAAin at DFW. If you're carrying luggage, it can be a pain getting up the steep steps of the bus - the red one between terminals and the blue ones leading to long-term parking.

There are currently 3 terminals - A, B, and you guessed it, C. Original site plans made room for a terminal D. Never built. Room is still there, even with the new rental car parking lot. (I believe.)

The only public (mass) transportation between MCI and the rest of the KC Metro Area is the bus - limited service at best. There's been talk for a long time about light rail from downtown (perhaps even the Country Club Plaza Area) to MCI, located well north of KC. That'll be the day. How I wish there were better public transportation. KCI Shuttle ferries people between the airport and area hotels. Much more expensive than the bus fare.

Then again, KC, like most cities, loves its cars. And with economy parking at $5 with very quick connections from the lots to the terminals, it's hard to beat the convenience.

Enough about MCI. I love YX, will fly them often, and wish them well. May they live for many years to come!

phuebner

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Quoting MCIFlyer (Reply 33):
The terminals are SO close to each other that linking between one to the other is not difficult nor time consuming. There's a specific (red) bus dedicated to the task.

They are convieniently set up close together. I would imagine that Terminal D would be built if an airline needed the space. MCI is a great airport. I grew up there and being that my Father was a TWA employee we flew out of there alot. I always liked it better than other airports.....especially STL...but that's a different story..there is a St. Louis vs Kansas City rivalry there that I still hold on to. I have wondered if they could create a terminal tram within the tunnels they built from the parking garage. I do have a question though, how often do passengers transit between airlines? How much need is there for a passenger to transit between the different airlines?

TVNWZ

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:10 am

I travel to MCI periodically. I find in quaint. It's sort of a little brother design to DFW. Maybe too little sometimes.

Pro: Extremely short walk from car to gate.
Easy to get in and out of.

Cons: Small concourse.
No central screening.
Crappy food.
Inconvienant buses to other concourses.

Too bad it was not designed and built about five years later. It would have been entirely different.

IADCRJ

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:14 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 20):
C is way under used. I think MW operates a gate or two on that concourse (FlyI used to before they folded) FL, UA, and USA3k have a few gates on there as well. I think USA3k is the only airline in the old international rotunda at the end...

Actually YX sub leases a gate from Delta to operate their flights. They even have subcontracted to DL to manage their PIT operations. YX up until about a year ago or so, did sublease and subcontract gate and operations services to United.

steeler83

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 32):
Midwest will never be big enough to warrant that kind of massive capital expenditure. You're talking billions to build a new airport.

There are currently 3 terminals - A, B, and you guessed it, C. Original site plans made room for a terminal D. Never built. Room is still there, even with the new rental car parking lot. (I believe.)

OKay, so MCI will never be a mega hub, but according to the latter post here, there appears to be room for some expansion, maybe into a focus city or a small hub perhaps...

MCI has plenty of gate space, and I'm sure if YX wanted to establish more gates here, it could. It might have to move terminals, though.

This plus another semicirlular concourse could very likely make MCI into a focus city or a small hub for that matter (that would give them at least a dozen gates, and that's enough to operate a small hub, right?

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 36):
Actually YX sub leases a gate from Delta to operate their flights. They even have subcontracted to DL to manage their PIT operations. YX up until about a year ago or so, did sublease and subcontract gate and operations services to United.

Then I suppose that Midwest operates from PIT's D concourse, instead of C...

JBo

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 14):
DOn;t know if it is going to be with the 328Jet or the E140's that should be coming online in the near future.

As someone already said...the ERJ-140s have officially been canceled. It was stated in the clear during some YX conference calls recently.

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 7):
yes possibly if that forever on going duscussion on the 328 jets that they would get from the old delta connection carrier, ... btw-anyone know how close this deal is to being completed as it has been going on forever now

Current goal is to have the 328JETs in service later this year. There's still alot of kinks to be ironed out, but it does seem now as more of a matter of when and not if.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 24):
YX and MW

LOL...which is it? MW is Maya Airways .... YX is Midwest. Though you were clearly referring to Midwest as MW, which is it now?  Wink

Just teasin. Big grin
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

WesternA318

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 5):
The added YX service that you mentioned would be sweet. Any added service at any airport is nice...

Any idea if YX will/might start service to SLC in this lifetime?

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 13):
But at least the fact that they enjoy serving PIT is a positive...

When was the last time you've heard an airline say that??   

Quoting Phuebner (Reply 27):
I know what you're saying. That would be tough, though. MCI, within years ago, built up their parking garages within each terminal area. It's a pretty nice setup with tunnels to the terminals. I have always thought that there has got to be some way to incorporate those tunnels with each terminal and expansion purposes etc.

Maybe they could built a parking structure outside the main terminal area and convert the parking garages into a landside terminal operation that connects to the concourses? Just my   

[

Quoting L1329II (Reply 29):
As much as I would love to talk the airport up I really dont know how well it would serve as a hub. For O&D traffic the airport layout is wonderful but anyone wanting to connect will find its a little bit of a hassle. A bus in between terminals is almost unacceptable. Not to mention some of the rudest and overzealous TSA folks around

Remember, USAir, TWA, Vanguard, and Eastern have tried to make MCI a hub, TWA came the closest, utilizing just one entire concourse, Eastern was actually making money at it between 1979-1984, before Borman sold out to Lorenzo (who else would have flown a 757 from there to the west coast and from the east coast back then?) The TSA folks on the other hand, eugh...enough said. They must be that 23% that approve of Bush.

[Edited 2006-03-02 22:28:00]
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

nitrohelper

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:48 am

How about if Northwurst suddenly gets "wfu" and ,, Midwest takes all the DC-9s to become the "SouthWest of the NorthWest" ,,,well maybe not! ,,,, Two engines to stay cheap?
{Duck}

steeler83

Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:18 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 39):

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 12):

Does this answer your question?

CentPIT

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 39):

The representative from YX visited PIT during their last expansion of service and in the interview with WPXI-TV Pittsburgh (Channel 11 News) he stated that the airline enjoys serving the Pittsburgh travelers!

I don't know what your deal is with it?  Wink
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

WesternA318

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:34 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 42):
I don't know what your deal is with it?

I was meaning before the MidWest announcement, lol. Sorry i didnt clarify.

Staggerwing

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:51 pm

I had a chat with the director of the Kansas City Aviation Department last year after seeing on the website that they were in the design phase for Terminal D. What he said was that the current design phase involved making sure that the utilities were properly located so that they were ready when it was time to build in 10 to 15 years. The design of the terminal is up in the air, he said that if an airline wanted to place a hub in Kansas City, that the city would seriously consider building the new terminal to optimise for hub operations. However, if it was just a natural increase over time of many different carriers running more and more flights, then the design of the 4th terminal would mirror that of the other 3.

As far as YX in Kansas City goes, I personally think that they will grow more in Kansas City then Milwaukee over the next few years. I say this for one reason, Scott Dickson and Greg Aretakis seem to be calling a lot of the shots for YX right now; and they are the two people who almost saved Vanguard from its previous mismanagement.

Staggerwing

steeler83

Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting Staggerwing (Reply 44):
As far as YX in Kansas City goes, I personally think that they will grow more in Kansas City then Milwaukee over the next few years. I say this for one reason, Scott Dickson and Greg Aretakis seem to be calling a lot of the shots for YX right now; and they are the two people who almost saved Vanguard from its previous mismanagement.

If they do go ahead with the construction of concourse D, and if YX was to be the airline to establish a hub at MCI after D is completed (which looks pretty likely they will), how many gates would that give YX at MCI, 12-15 gates maybe?

phuebner

Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:53 am

If YX establishes their main hub their and supposing that they utilize a whole terminal building...such as the new D, then they will have about 30 gates their.

steeler83

Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting Phuebner (Reply 46):
If YX establishes their main hub their and supposing that they utilize a whole terminal building...such as the new D, then they will have about 30 gates their.

Wow, 30 gates? that would make for a fairly decent-sized hub at MCI. How many daily departures would that support, a couple hundred I would imagine... For the record, they would have a good-sized hub
"T-H-E-R-E" after MCI builds "T-H-E-I-R" new concourse D...  Wink

TVNWZ

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:04 am

Quoting Phuebner (Reply 46):

While they will continue to add flights to MCI they do not have the planes to fill up 30, 20 or I would say 10 gates in the forseeable future. I do not see them retrenching in MKE since they are still increasing share there and have the extensive Skyways feeder network in place.

If you want to see MCI expand on a larger scale watch for the announcment of what plane they are going to use in the future after they have taken delivery of all their 717s. You gotta have the planes before you need the gates.

WesternA318

Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:00 pm

Greg Aretakis

Did he leave Frontier?

and they are the two people who almost saved Vanguard from its previous mismanagement.

You mean from their last joke of a CEO, Jeff Potter, right?