letsgetwet

CO Ranked #1 Global Airline

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:54 pm

First it was US, Now it's Global !
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060301/clw518.html?.v=26

ikramerica

RE: CO Ranked #1 Global Airline

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:55 pm

Only reinforces why I believe that if there were some kind of merger between CO and UA, the CO name would remain for the international carrier, though an LCC spin off of the A32X fleet could remain as United (replacing TED). Just my opinion.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

UAXDXer

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 1):
Only reinforces why I believe that if there were some kind of merger between CO and UA, the CO name would remain for the international carrier, though an LCC spin off of the A32X fleet could remain as United (replacing TED). Just my opinion.

I sure hope not!!! Why would CAL end such a good thing by merging with UAL?
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

nateDAL

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Good job.

They deserve it.
Set Love Free

captaink

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:17 pm

I really need to fly CO one day, I keep hearing great things about them, have to figure out how to get Advantage miles on them LOL. Way to go CAL.
There is something special about planes....

NIKV69

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:19 pm

Being that CO is my favorite I say Good Job! Tops in service in my book! I miss the CLE-LAS flight but WN flies non-stop ISP-LAS now!  biggrin 
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

QXatFAT

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 4):
I really need to fly CO one day,

Haha I hear ya on that. I have only flown CO one time. OAK-IAH-DTW. It was an amazing flight! OAK-IAH had the best service and the interior of the 738 looked so clean. The flight from IAH-DTW was bumpy but good service non the less. I need to go on a flight to Europe on CO. Way to go CO!
Don't Tread On Me!

ikramerica

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 2):

Just a rumor been floating around, bolstered by random comments by Gordo himself.

UAXDXer

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
I miss the CLE-LAS flight but WN flies non-stop ISP-LAS now!

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't CO still offer several non stops a day from CLE to LAS?
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

N766UA

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:57 pm

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 8):
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't CO still offer several non stops a day from CLE to LAS?

Sure do! 4 dailies... 2 739s and 738 and a 753.

[Edited 2006-03-02 05:58:57]
This Website Censors Me

N670UW

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Good job Continental. I don't fly very often (wish I could fly more), but when I do, I try to make it CO, even if it means going out of the way a little bit. Sure beats a lot of other U.S. carriers.

N670UW

MaverickM11

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:16 pm

Woohoo, I start working for them in about a month!
E pur si muove -Galileo

CO7e7

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 4):
I really need to fly CO one day

Ya dude, not flying CO is like never eating steak!!! you have to do it someday!

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 5):
Being that CO is my favorite I say Good Job!

[checkmark] GO CO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 11):
I start working for them in about a month!

well, Congradulations!!!!!!!!!!! What are you gonna be doing if you don't mind me asking ? and where are you gonna be located at ?

HunUtazo

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:32 pm

...you hit the nail right on the head, not if, when.
dude

cadet93

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:38 pm

I fly nothing but CO, and have accumulated about 500,000 frequent flyer miles with them......

I almost always like the service, the planes are in real good shape, (except a few of those 757s they use to Europe).....and the sundae for dessert in Business First is always a nice treat..............

I fly friday to Ft Laud for an 8 day cruise, so I will enjoy the service and the addition of the miles to my account

TinkerBelle

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Heck, according to this link, they took the airline of the year award too.

http://www.oag.com/Airline+of+the+Year/current_winners_2005

Maybe it has to do with Peter Max  biggrin 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

MarshalN

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:04 pm

I decided this year I am going to go find myself elite status with CO, since I know I will be doing a good deal of flying and will try to put them all in the CO basket

LO231

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 6):
I need to go on a flight to Europe on CO.

You should!!! I flew on their 764 BRU-EWR-BRU, superb plane, excellent service!

Congrats CO!

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

antoniemey

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 2):

I keep asking myself that and never seem to come up with an answer that makes any kind of logical or financial sense.

Quoting HunUtazo (Reply 13):

Hey, HunUtazo, don't you have any other hobbies?

OK, for stuff actually ON Topic...

WHOO HOO! GO CO!

Incidentally my first flight that I am paying for (Had a couple revenue flights before, but those were paid for by my mother) is going to be March 11th, BNA-CLE on COEx.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

squirrel83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:23 pm

YEHHHHH!! COngrats CO!
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

hb88

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:39 pm

Without wanting to start a flamewar here, I was very confused when I read this subject line. I've flown CO a bit and their service is ok, but not outstanding when compared to many, generally non-US, carriers. A quick check of skytrax confirms that in terms of service CO rate as "fair" which sounds about right.

What the the article actually says that the award was actually for the "most admired" airline based on "innovativeness, employee talent, use of corporate assets, social responsibility, quality of management, financial soundness, long-term investment value, quality of products and services, and globalness." This was assessed by "Corporate and airline executives, boards of directors and industry analysts".

As for the OAG award, again, this is a little confusing. The Skytrax winner list for 2005 included (in order): Cathay Pacific Qantas Airways Emirates, Singapore Airlines, British Airways, Malaysia Airlines and Thai Airways. Having flown all of these carriers reasonably frequently, in my opinion this sort of looks roughly right, although I think Malaysian is definitely heading upward in the ratings.

The difference is that the OAG award is based ONLY on opinions from their own customer base of business travellers whereas Skytrax gathers opinions across the entire spectrum from economy to 1st. For the majority of travellers, the best business class airline is pretty irrelevant (although Qatar with an excellent Business class service has very good economy class service as well).

Anyway, good on CO for getting the award. In the context of the US industry, they are clearly doing very well.

TinkerBelle

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:43 pm

Like someone asked, who gives the awards for giving the best awards that nobody gives a crap about? I'll still fly international carriers to Europe over CO anyday.  duck 

macc

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:44 pm

must be a joke!?!?!

whats innovative with a carrier which is ranked the global nr. 1 if you cannot even pay with your credit card at their website??

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2529079
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

legacy135

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Macc (Reply 22):
must be a joke!?!?!

whats innovative with a carrier which is ranked the global nr. 1 if you cannot even pay with your credit card at their website??

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...29079

Continental is a pretty good airline I use frequently as well, in fact do prefer as my favourite US based carrier. So it's no surprise to me, seeing them voted as number one.

Your experience with the credit card is unfortunately a very common and annoying issue with American companies of any branch. Still, the main problem here isn't credit card fraud, it's much more that they can't make any other difference than US and rest of the world. There are for sure countries in the world someone could make painful experiences in payment affairs. But sorry guys, Austria is an EU member state, so what's the problem here? Even if CO has no branch office in Austria, obtaining the money should be no problem at all, as EU rules will count.

The companies I do business with in the US reserve a right to ask payment in advance for "high fraud countries". This makes sense to me and I definitely would do the same if I suspect a problem. I know people, having not paid for the parking ticket they got from the traffic wardens in the US. They got invoiced for here in Switzerland and had to pay for the whole amount they caused by their misbehaviour. Realizing on the other hand that "a world class airline" doesn't sell tickets on Austrian credit cards makes me breathless. Hopefully they will learn one day,

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

mkirch72

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:21 pm

Quoting Macc (Reply 22):

I'm not familiar with this. I book exclusively on their website and always use a credit card. Are there restrictions that the US government puts on this type of transaction for all airlines, or is it just CO?

And I think this award is very well deserved. I've flown many European carriers whose service since the birth of LCC's has truly suffered. I almost always fly economy and compared to airlines like BA and IB, CO seems to have a couple of key strengths -- overall consistently friendly and professional employees who take pride in their company, and clean-newer planes.

To any CO employees who read this -- great job! You have a LOT of fans out here!

TinkerBelle

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Mkirch72 (Reply 24):
I'm not familiar with this. I book exclusively on their website and always use a credit card. Are there restrictions that the US government puts on this type of transaction for all airlines, or is it just CO?

I believe CO is the only airline you can't book a ticket with with an address outside the US. Last thing I heard, they're working on fixing that.

macc

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:52 pm

I have yet to do my first flight on CO and surely dont deny them any applaus which they deserve. Still its more than sick that the "global nr. 1" has such an issue with credit card payment.
I exchanged political frustration with sexual boredom. better spoil a girl than the world

letsgetwet

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting Cadet93 (Reply 14):
almost always like the service, the planes are in real good shape, (except a few of those 757s they use to Europe).....and the sundae for dessert in Business First is always a nice treat..............

I really don't know what you mean. The 757's they use to Europe are some of the cleanest most modern aircraft you can fly on. Their interiors have all been upgraded to the 777 style interiors.

yellowtail

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:45 pm

above all....CO understands its customers, doesn't promise them the moon, but always exceeds their expectations.

only thing I never liked about them was them following the self check in kiosk craze......as an international traveller..half the time I have to go see an agent anyway.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

mbj2000

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:47 pm

This should be rather "The globally most admired US carrier"
I don't want to spoil your joy but tell me who are the most readers of the Fortune magazine?? I guess 80% US people?  Wink

So you should take this with a grain of salt...
Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending -- Bender Unit 22

cadet93

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 27):
I really don't know what you mean. The 757's they use to Europe are some of the cleanest most modern aircraft you can fly on. Their interiors have all been upgraded to the 777 style interiors.

I flew to Berlin on the 757 service, and my BF seat was so old the threads were bare, the TV was so out of focus and washed out it wasnt worth it to use, and the track cover on the floor between seats was loose and to small. Everytime I stood up it slid on me and caused me to slide into the poor womans seat in front of me distubing her rest. CO didnt want to really hear about it. All I got was a form letter when I told them of the problems......I will still fly CO for all my flights, but there is always something. (or someone )

aa1818

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:51 pm

CO is a great airline. Flew their MIA-IAH-MIA a number of times, and have done POS-IAH_POS a few times. Great service, and the friendliest crew when I flew unaccompanied. I choose to fly AA now though becuase it's just as comfortable, flight attendants are great and friendly, especially when they recognize me on the POS-MIA segments. Flights are almost always on time and my credit cards, patner airlines etc, all point to AA. CO would run a very close second if I had to switch to another US airline though. Congrats to CO and I wish them a prosperous 2006 and beyond.

I've thought about that and while a merger wouldn't be the best thing to do financially, it appears that the above idea is more of a buyout. US wouldn't submit to CO and allow their brand to be turned into a LCC. If it were a merger, I would definitely say, NO WAY, but in the above scenario (basically a buyout) I'd say if CO had the cash, I could see them doing it. Makes some sense- dunno about the financial aspects of such a move though.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

flydreamliner

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:58 pm

Why would they do this? CO is built on having the best service in the skies, and they are a fantastic airline. I'd believe they were the best in the world. Merging with UA makes no sense. CO has a long standing, and succesful codeshare with NW, and over time they've started to intergrate into each other's schedules. Like if I booked a flight on CO to europe, i'd fly on a NW jet to EWR, and then on continental across the pond. CO offers regional jet service to MSP, but odds are if you book a flight on them, you'll fly NW to EWR. I could see CO buying out NW, but even so, it would be very problematic (mostly because it involves NW).

I say congrats Continental, keep on doing what you do.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

letsgetwet

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting MBJ2000 (Reply 29):
I don't want to spoil your joy but tell me who are the most readers of the Fortune magazine?? I guess 80% US people?

They are also the #1 Global airline because they fly to more Global destinations than any other airline.

lh477

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:19 am

CO the most admired global airline???? You gotta be kidding. Have SQ, CX, BA, AF, LH, AC, MH, JL, QF, EK all gone bankrupt that CO is suddenly deserving of this title?

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 33):
They are also the #1 Global airline because they fly to more Global destinations than any other airline.

I think LH, AF, BA beg to differ.
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

nateDAL

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting LH477 (Reply 34):

They would be wrong.

CO flies to 151 US destinations and 133 internationally. That's 284.

Neither BA, AF, or LH fly to that many cities.
Set Love Free

Alitalia744

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:41 am

This thread is misleading. It's not the #1 global airline. It's "admired" there's a huge difference here guys.

Suggesting deletion for misleading topic.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

captaink

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 25):
I believe CO is the only airline you can't book a ticket with with an address outside the US. Last thing I heard, they're working on fixing that.

Delta has this rule:
Only travel originating in Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, or the United States (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) can be booked via delta.com.

Doesn't help me either....
There is something special about planes....

DavidT

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:06 am

Quoting MBJ2000 (Reply 29):
I don't want to spoil your joy but tell me who are the most readers of the Fortune magazine?? I guess 80% US people?

Well put. No offence but there doesn't seem to be anything global about the magazine, article or award. Congrats CO on doing a good job but there are plenty of other airlines around the world who also do a good job.

hiflyer

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:09 am

There are far more 'awards' than there are carriers....seems everyone wins something to get pr. Indy went down in flames winning awards supposedly. Getting worked up on these awards is really a waste of bandwidth IMHO.

TACAA320

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:43 am

CO the most admired global airline???? You gotta be kidding.

Amen.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

MyOthrCarsA777

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:57 am

CO the most admired global airline???? You gotta be kidding. Have SQ, CX, BA, AF, LH, AC, MH, JL, QF, EK all gone bankrupt that CO is suddenly deserving of this title?

Can't speak for some of the other airlines here, but from my experience, the service on Continental is head and shoulders above CX, AF, and particularly AC. Having flown a lot on both CO and AC, I really can't believe that anyone would seriously suggest that AC's product is in any way even comparable to CO's.

ikramerica

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting HunUtazo (Reply 13):

With the current NW woes, I am not convinced it's a "when" but just an "if" because frankly, even with PW engines and A330s, a partial acquisition of NW assets and Asia network from Chapter 7 would make better sense for CO than some sort of merger and divestment with UA.

Quoting HB88 (Reply 20):
For the majority of travellers, the best business class airline is pretty irrelevant (although Qatar with an excellent Business class service has very good economy class service as well)

Then why are those top five you list 3 class carriers with a strong F and J following? Not all of them provide a better Y experience than CO does, especially on the international product. So premium product must carry a lot of weight in those studies, too.

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 28):
only thing I never liked about them was them following the self check in kiosk craze......as an international traveller..half the time I have to go see an agent anyway.

But standing right behind those kiosks is a CSR ready to help and check your bags. Not exactly a difficult setup.

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 32):
Why would they do this?

Did I say they would? I said the rumors keep floating around, and people claim it will be UA who would keep the name, and I've always contended that globally, CO has a better rep. That's all I was saying.

As detailed above, they would be wrong. CO may not be the largest, but they do fly to the most cities.

And as for LH having better service... ROFL. How anti-US can your comments be.

Quoting DavidT (Reply 38):
No offence but there doesn't seem to be anything global about the magazine, article or award.

You are kidding right? While I don't care much about the award, the idea that Fortune knows nothing about Global business is laughable. Do you know anything about Global business? If you do, it's surprising you dismiss Fortune like that...

hb88

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 42):
Quoting HB88 (Reply 20):
For the majority of travellers, the best business class airline is pretty irrelevant (although Qatar with an excellent Business class service has very good economy class service as well)

Then why are those top five you list 3 class carriers with a strong F and J following? Not all of them provide a better Y experience than CO does, especially on the international product. So premium product must carry a lot of weight in those studies, too.

I disagree. Most of the top five carriers listed on Skytrax easily, in my experience, exceed COs Y class service with their respective Y class product. If you look at the distribution and breakdown, some of them made the top five in both Business and Economy classes.

Quoting NateDAL (Reply 35):
They would be wrong.

CO flies to 151 US destinations and 133 internationally. That's 284.

Neither BA, AF, or LH fly to that many cities.

Uh, you include _domestic_ destinations in your definition of global? Would you call JetBlue a global carrier? I didn't think so.

nycfly75

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:55 am

Congrats to CO!! Now if they would only swap with DL at JFK and restore the World Port to its glory days!

nateDAL

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:26 am

Quoting HB88 (Reply 43):

Uh, you include _domestic_ destinations in your definition of global? Would you call JetBlue a global carrier? I didn't think so.

Is the United States not part of the globe? That's news to me.

Even if you don't include the domestic destinations, 133 non-US destinations is pretty extensive. CO flies to every inhabited continent execpt Afrcia.

Fortune's methodology is on its website: http://money.cnn.com/.element/ssi/se...e/globalmostadmired/how.popup.html

CO was voted 1st in every category, save financial soundess (#2).

[Edited 2006-03-02 20:29:17]
Set Love Free

bigb

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting HB88 (Reply 43):

Ok, 133 international destinations still out numbers other international carriers such as SQ, BA, LH, AC etc etc.
ETSN Baber, USN

SA7700

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting NateDAL (Reply 45):
CO flies to every inhabited continent execpt Afrcia.

So what is CO's schedules like to the North-and South Pole? Santa Claus inhabits the North Pole and there are a odd number of people living on the South Pole. Do they use their 757's, like they use them over the pond?  Smile

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

WesternA318

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting QXatFAT (Reply 6):
I need to go on a flight to Europe on CO. Way to go CO!

I recently did SLC-IAH-EWR-FCO-EWR-SLC all in First/BusinessFirst, and I have to admit, I am going to say that is better service than even Singapore! Well, I am biased, but, the F/A DID give me her phone number...

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 15):
Maybe it has to do with Peter Max

Oh I only wish...I wonder what a 73G would look like painted up like that?

Quoting LO231 (Reply 17):
I flew on their 764 BRU-EWR-BRU, superb plane, excellent service!

My EWR-FCO-EWR was on 767-400 both ways and a truly amazing plane, even if I do miss the old DC-10's myself.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

Cory6188

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 48):
767-400 both ways and a truly amazing plane

No doubt about that. I just flew the CO 764 from LAX-HNL and from HNL-EWR, and even my mother, who never notices anything about airplanes, commented in the car on the way home from EWR how much she liked the plane. Y is extremely comfortable on the 764 - it's a plane extremely well-designed for long-haul flights. Even after 9 hours on the plane, we still all felt good.