AirWest
Topic Author

"The Red Tail" Movie About NWA And Employees

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:04 pm

I am pretty sure that nobody has discussed this. I used the search function and found nothing. An independent movie producer is aiming to film a documentary about the recent struggles at NW, from a seemingly employee based point of view. There have been articles in the Detroit Free Press and Pioneer Press about the film, surprising that it hasn't been mentioned. Anyway, the producer has released a trailer on their website and although it isn't the most recent, in terms of content, it is still interesting.

Link-
www.redtailmovie.com

Zach
"And now I wish I was somewhere other than here"- JB

centrair

RE: "The Red Tail" Movie About NWA And Employees

Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:16 pm

WOW!

The trailer is impressive. I hope the movie gets more press and shown in the theaters of Minnesota and Michigan.

It really made me thing and ponder...why isn't anyone really following the money? The media of Minnesota and Michigan certainly do a lot of reporting but not enough journalism. We need another Woodward and Bernstein on this thing.

Thanks for posting it.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

FlyGuyClt

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:52 pm

I hope everyone who blames the employees of this airline on this board to listen. NOT run there mouths first. But listen to the link. The NWA employees are some of the most dedicated in the business. A friend of mine is a 747-400 Captain with less than 1 year left before he retires. With his current pay cut he only makes $27.00 per hour more than an AirTran 737-700 Captain. The NWA employees in my opinion have no problem with a "Fair Equitable and Balanced" pay cut. But I think they are saying loud and clear. NO to rape.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

DeltaGuy

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:56 pm

Excellent trailer, I look forward to it coming out. NW may not be in business by then, who knows. But hopefully it'll shed some light on crooks in management- maybe there needs to be a sequal profiling Delta's management "team".

DeltaGuy
"The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

AMFAproud

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:30 pm

To see what employees think of this airline go to : www.jobvent.com The worst rated airline in America!

tjwgrr

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:06 pm

Tough to see the faces of those affected, but there's no simple answers. Too late for the blame game. Even if the entire executive and managment team at NWA took no pay for a year or two, NWA would still bleed a slow death.

NWA does not have the money to pay it's employees.

If NWA continues as is, there will be no more NWA and no employees.

Unfortunately employees will be forced to make a decision. Accept lower wages as proposed by management or imposed by a bankrupcy judge, or eventually lose their jobs as NWA will cease to exist.

My gut tells me if NWA does survive, it will be a very different airline and a mere shadow of what it once was.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

flydreamliner

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:03 am

Yeah, if it survives, it will fly a feeder route for KLM from MSP to AMS, it's highly profitable routes to asia, keep a hold on the upper midwest, and fly a few A319's a regional jets around to wherever else. It won't be the powerhouse it was 5 or 10 years ago.

The company needs to be better managed, the execs have to put in the effort to make the company work. abusing your employees and expecting them to work for irrational salaries isn't a fix, it's stupid.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

burnsie28

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting AMFAproud (Reply 4):
To see what employees think of this airline go to : www.jobvent.com The worst rated airline in America!

I take you and your union buddies that no longer have jobs got on that and started doing all the negatives. Sure I know NW employees are getting sick of working there with the crappy management, but some of those comments are just rediculous.

alphascan

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting FlyGuyClt (Reply 2):
A friend of mine is a 747-400 Captain with less than 1 year left before he retires. With his current pay cut he only makes $27.00 per hour more than an AirTran 737-700 Captain.

In the real world, the issue is not how much your pilot friend makes vs. an AirTran pilot...its how much your friend makes vs. a similarly tenured UA pilot. There is a $1 per hour difference between the two, and the NW pilot (so far) gets to keep the entire amount of promised pension.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

flywithjohn

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:29 pm

I think this would interesting to watch see both sides of the line so I sent a $20 it's just me but I'd pay to see ounce or twice.
Always Blue Sky's.....

ejmmsu

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:39 pm

It is indeed sad to see the way layoffs and paycuts effect people. However, this is not unique to NW. This is an issue effecting the whole industry.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

AMFAproud

Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:02 pm

"Poor Northwest just doen't have the money"..They seem to have plenty for executive compensation. Example: http://www.amfa33.org/nwa_pensions.htm
A lot of these employees that now have nothing else to do bought NWA concessionary stock from these snake oil salesman in 1993 for $33/share that is now worth .38 a share! But I don't know why these people are so bitter?