Fly764

Weird Approach To 22L At EWR Tonight

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:39 pm

Wasn't sure whether or not to put this into Tech/Ops but here it goes.

I was driving home north on the NJ Turnpike tonight and as I was passing EWR at about 1145, planes were landing on 22L, but what was different is that you could see them turning only a few miles ahead from the west to line up. I have never seen this before,(except on a 29 approach) and sure enough as I got up to exit 15(about 2 miles north) a Jet Blue 320 was coming from the west and made a 90 degree turn to line up with the runway. I find this odd because usually planes landing on the 22's always go up over north Jersey and then line up around Teterboro or Giants Stadium. Any explination? I would like to also note that as I got closer to the stadium planes were flying over that direction as well.

tjwgrr

RE: Weird Approach To 22L At EWR Tonight

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:41 am

I have family in Clifton, NJ northwest of EWR and have seen this many times. During VFR conditions and when EWR and surrounding traffic permits and is much lighter (i.e. late evening / early morning,) a/c inbound to EWR on visual approaches often "cut the corner" much closer to EWR when landing on the 22's.

Normally approaches to the 22's are flown directly over TEB requiring a turn to final much further north.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.