GDB
Topic Author

New Film About Swissair's Demise

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:17 am

Sorry if this has already been covered, I did do a site search, but a new film providing an account of the trauma of the bankruptcy of national icon, and well regarded airline, Swissair in 2001.
A film as in actors, not a documentary.

Apparently it's done well in Switzerland, have any of our members from that nation seen it?
Any good? How truthful-especially if you were at Swissair at the time?

Is this a first-a movie about airlines that is not about a crash?

Link here;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4763598.stm

swissgabe

RE: New Film About Swissair's Demise

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:47 am

The film has already been done and is shown in the Theathers since several weeks here in Switzerland ... If not mistaken, it is the most seen movie here in Switzerland in 2006 for the moment and it is quite popular.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

MKEdude

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:56 am

Any plans to release it here in the states?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Mexicana757

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:45 am

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 2):

I'm sure it will not have mass distribution. Probably the small independent theaters might pick it up. There's a theater here in Chicago that usually shows foreign films.

felixZRH

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:17 am

There is a archived thread: RE: Great New Movie: Grounding (by Lsgg Feb 3 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 2):
Any plans to release it here in the states?

I don't think so either. One problem is that most speaking is in Swiss German and I don't know if there are translators for this quite special German.
And the film is focused on the financial problems and entanglement of SR with the rest of Swiss firms mainly the banks. And I don't know how much people not knowing the Swiss political system understand the problems of fund raising of the Swiss government.
But the film is very good made for a Swiss film and has great footage of the grounded aircrafts.
I'm sure it will be released as DVD here in Switzerland, maybe even in some other parts of Europe or even in the States.

Regards, Felix