stealth777

What Time Of Day Is Good To Fly Out Of JFK?

Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:41 am

I was wondering. I was tracking flights departing from JFK, one in particular AA177 on March 2. I looked at aa.com and it stated that it had an actual departure time of 7:59 but yet it didn't show up on flightaware until it had its wheels up time of about 9:23pm. So it departed the gate about 8 and didn't leave the ground for another 90 mins. Is this a typical taxi time for JFK because of all of the European bank of flights or was it weather related? And if it was because of the high bank of European flights is there a more ideal time to depart where you can have say a 10 minute max taxi time from gate to wheels up, where you are not in a line of 20 planes waiting to take off?

Also heard from my aviation law professor that JetBlue has a dedicated runway for them to use (weather permitting of course) that allows them to get up into the air quicker than other carriers. Then runway he mentioned was the one right by their terminal but couldn't remember the number. Is there any truth to this claim?

Alitalia744

RE: What Time Of Day Is Good To Fly Out Of JFK?

Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:51 am

For the AA question: it may or may not be typical.

Two scenarios most likely happened:

1) Joined the que during the heavy bank of euro departures and was near the end of the line. At JFK the que starts getting quite long between 6:30ish-9:30ish pm daily. They may have gotten in line late and just had to wait their turn.

2) Weather today (3/2/06) was shitty here in NYC. There were delays at all three airports (JFK/LGA/EWR). The delay in wheels up time may have been a result of ground holds.

Accordin to AA.com, their sked time of departure was 6pm but actual time of departure was 7:59pm...

Quoting Stealth777 (Thread starter):
Also heard from my aviation law professor that JetBlue has a dedicated runway for them to use (weather permitting of course) that allows them to get up into the air quicker than other carriers. Then runway he mentioned was the one right by their terminal but couldn't remember the number. Is there any truth to this claim?

It's not dedicated to jetBlue altho they prefer using that runway as it shortens taxi times.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

WJ

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:02 pm

Taxi times at JFK between 1830-2000 will average at least 50 minutes. Any weather component will simply increase the time on top of the base 50. JFK in the evening is something you should avoid if all possible. In the summer, anything from Late afternoon on, with Thunderstorms in the forcast, might as well stay home... 2-3 hour taxis/ground stops are not uncommon. Longest delay (onboard the aircraft) I expereinced was 3.5 hours.
146,727,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,300,310,319,320,321,330,343,DC9,D10,MD11,M80,E17

superhub

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:25 pm

I was on AA177 on 26th Feb. We left the gate about half an hour late because of cargo-loading. Taxiing took about 30-40mins or so, and there was a queue of European flights. But it certainly wasn't the heaviest of traffic I have seen at JFK.

I have also flown B6 out of JFK..most of the time we depart from either the 4L/22R or 31L. Only once did we depart from 13L (and the only flight to do so)

superhub

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting Superhub (Reply 3):
I have also flown B6 out of JFK..most of the time we depart from either the 4L/22R or 31L. Only once did we depart from 13L (and the only flight to do so)

Just want to add that 13R was (and is still) also normally used too when the wind conditions are right.

I have only used 31R once for takeoff on DL, and that was because of the Polar Air incident. And 13R once for the B6 flight I mentioned above.

[Edited 2006-03-03 10:23:05]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos