phuebner

What Holds For AA Economic Future?

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:47 am

I am taking a masters class called "Air Transportation" at an Embry-Riddle Aerno Univ Extended campus site and I am writing a research paper on AA. My question is what do you think holds for AA in its economic future?
Remember this, Your Body is a temple Not a pull toy!

superhub

RE: What Holds For AA Economic Future?

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:51 am

In the short to medium term, there will still be a lot of cost-cutting measures. Oil prices will be a major factor too.

MalpensaSFO

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:37 am

Domestic is on the chopping block..
Certain gateways downsized, others beefed up..
Certain stations closed..
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

phuebner

Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:48 am

I'm looking to see St. Louis dropped from the "hub" lineup...even though they have been dwindled down to almost a "focus city". They are working with the Maintenance facilities in KC and Tulsa to make them into "Profit Centers". In another string AC spun off their maintenance facility into its own entity. I kinda think that it's a pretty good idea.

mrstl

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:38 pm

Don't know about hub status at STL, but this article would seem to indicate they are adding capacity. STL hit 14.9 million on enplaned/deplaned passengers up 10% from 2004 and still growing this year at a 10% rate.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/bus...C%22American%22+AND+%22Airlines%22

isitsafenow

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:46 pm

I don't use or need AA but I firmly believe they will be a survivor. They did learn their lessons on acqusitions. They won't be purchasing another carrier for a while.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

phuebner

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:19 pm

Quoting Isitsafenow (Reply 5):
AA but I firmly believe they will be a survivor

I definitely agree with this, and yeah you're right they won't acquisition any new airlines any time soon. The TWA one was a nail bighter for them since it happened right before 9/11. Any acquisitions that will happen will be made by other airlines.

aa1818

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:01 am

I agree wth what has been said thus far. Only to add more specifically that AA will continue to focus on cutting it's debt. I do not see any new orders (even the 787) for some time perhaps around 2009. The MD80's will stick around, some might perhaps be replaced by Boeing's Y1 rather than 737NG's. Also look to AA making a push into it's OneWorld hubs/ cities, as the alliance strengthens its ties with each other. AA will definitely be a survivor along with CO. I think AA is on track for a profitable (black) year in 2007. 2006 is in doubt, although if the pressure on oil remains weak and prices are still relatively low, then 2006 could be a (barely) profitable year for AA. Also LatAm, although dominated by AA still has room for more service. Expect increases in the not too distant future and pehaps a few new cities.

I doubt myself on the 787 order however, given te lease situation with the A300's, but I don't see AA buying new jets (type) anytime soon.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos