John
Topic Author

Could You Envision UA Modifying Their Livery?

Sun Jun 04, 2000 1:01 pm

Sort of update it a bit, to better reflect the combination of UA/US? Do you think UA would keep the US Airways stylized flag? I personally hope they get away from that drab grey fuselage. The US Airways colors definitely have a more classier look. But, then again, my opinion is very biased. All UA would have to do is reverse the colors from bottom to top, top to bottom. I think we can put this to the test, during the transition (interim) period, when they slap a United sticker on the former US Airways' aircraft. Can anyone picture this, right now? Hmmm. Anyone have any thoughts they might like to add?

We're Nuts

RE: Could You Envision UA Modifying Their Livery?

Sun Jun 04, 2000 1:16 pm

Well, no, but then again, I could envision it when they did it the last time either!  
Dear moderators: No.

Capt.Fantastic

Sun Jun 04, 2000 1:23 pm

I do not think United will keep, nor modify the stylistic flag of US Airways. An altered United livery sounds like a strong possibility, given the large number of aircraft that need to be painted. I happen to totally love the orange, red, blue stripe combo, and the imfamous United "U" on the tail. These are United trademakrs, and wil stay no matter what, in my opinion. I thinka reversal of colors on the fuselage would be a nice idea: dark blue on top, and grey on the bottom, with he tri-color strip between. Grey tail with a larger "U".

Jim

John
Topic Author

Sun Jun 04, 2000 9:57 pm

That sounds interesting Capt. Fantastic. You're right, with all the planes that have to be painted, it would probably be a good time to rethink the design scheme.

asdf

Sun Jun 04, 2000 11:18 pm

White replacing the gray, and dark blue text. Keep everything else the same.

blink182

Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:11 am

I personally hate UA's livery and i think it would look like a computerized sketch that i forgot who it was but he put an A-330 in a post that would probably be the new livery if UA were to change.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

D L X

Asdf

Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:58 am

That livery is taken. It's called Continental.

Gnomon

Yes

Mon Jun 05, 2000 4:42 am

Before the merger, UA had already planned to update the livery in a few years to reflect the new U N I T E D titling now being seen on UA-related publications. From a UA design team representative whom I asked about a week before the merger announcement:

"Usually airline identity programs start with painting the plane and then making everything else match. In UA's
program we are changing all the things customers come in contact with first, then we'll change the livery as final indication that a true and meaningful transformation has taken place. That said, we don't plan to make any livery changes for few years."

Now, though, I would expect a livery change to be made once the DoJ approves the merger and US is formally merged with UA next year.

imkeww

My Vision

Mon Jun 05, 2000 3:39 pm

I envision a tale with a dark blue to light blue to white gradient, with an embossed/embedded cut-off "U" as you see an all their printed publications now. I predict that the fueselage will be solid, royal (i.e. lighter than Navy) Blue on the bottom, and a navy blue or black thick band of cheatline starting above the door where the red/orange/blue used to be on UA planes and white/red used to be on the US Airways planes, and a white top with large black block letters U N I (funky T) E D a la Delta and the classic United "U" in red and blue next to the name. The engines would also be royal blue. For a visual hint at my idea, surf over to united.com and take a look at the coloring there!

Mon Jun 05, 2000 11:02 pm

I think United's current livery already looks like a transition livery. Explain how an airline with red, royal blue, and orange has aircraft that are predominantly dark/midnight blue and grey? The "U" on the tail looks totally out of place to me. I think they need to go back to the 80's livery.

na

Tue Jun 06, 2000 12:12 am

United grey/blue - looks nice. Its different, looks somewhat classy to me.
It only doesn´t wheather very good. I saw a shiny 747-400 next to a very dirty 777 with faded colours last weekend. But even that looked special next to Continentals more boring brandnew 777.
But United should keep its outstanding livery, its still fresh, I like the typeface - nothing´s wrong about it.

UALfa@jfk

Let's Pray For A Different One

Tue Jun 06, 2000 1:36 am

I've always hated that gray "grim reaper" paint scheme. The design team should have at least incorporated the sweeping "U" next to the UNITED AIRLINES titling. This would've brought a little color to that otherwise depressingly drab fuselage. What was Stephen Wolf thinking when he went with that hideous design? Although I realize the Company needed to update its image, I still miss the old cheery & bright white fuselage of the 70s & 80s.

Whatever they change it to (if they change it at all) couldn't be any worse than what we see now.

asdf

DLX

Tue Jun 06, 2000 2:21 am

How is the change I suggested going to make United's livery into Continental's? Continental has a white body with dark blue text, and a light gray bottom. The one I suggested has a white body with dark blue text. Everything else stays the same, which means that United's planes will keep the dark blue bottom, which Continental's planes do not have. I think the change would make their planes look alot like those of British Airways. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

ord

RE: Texairport

Tue Jun 06, 2000 2:29 am

United no longer uses the orange, red and blue (except for the thin stripes on the planes). Those aren't their colors, and haven't been seen January 1993. That's your explanation as to why everything is gray and dark blue. It's called change.

RE: ORD

Tue Jun 06, 2000 3:00 am

ORD, what about the "U" on the tail? Why have them if they are not their colors? Just asking for clarification.

Tue Jun 06, 2000 3:04 am

I happen to like the United color scheme. It is relaxing. Maybe they should just change their name to United S Airways. I'm kidding of course.

John
Topic Author

Wed Jun 07, 2000 1:19 pm

Well, no one really answered my question. How do you think a US Airways aircraft will look, with a United sticker slapped on it?

UALfa@jfk

Wed Jun 07, 2000 1:29 pm

I suppose the sweeping "U" on a US Airways paint scheme would look all right, just as long as they make the "U" the same color as the current grayish flag.

imkeww

John

Wed Jun 07, 2000 11:16 pm

Take a looksee, sir... I answered your question in my previous post!