Beaucaire
Topic Author

Is Easyjet Changing It's Strategy?

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:52 am

After the announcement to fly to Rijeka in Croatia,there are persistent rumors in France ,that Easyjet will open flights to Bordeaux and Ajaccio (Corsika ).
That would mean a change in strategy away from very large cities to medium size regional centers.
Do we have rumours from other smaller places being viewed as new destinations ? ( other than Marrakech which is not that small with nearly half a million population..)
Can we expect places like Tangiers,Thessalonika,Split,Nuremberg or Bologna to be selected ?
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

RJ100

RE: Is Easyjet Changing It's Strategy?

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:56 am

I would say Bordeaux, Nuremberg etc. are typical easyJet destinations. Large catchment areas and somehow left aside by the big carriers...

Ajaccio would see a lot of inbound tourism probably.

But I agree that it will be a change in strategy if they would open routes to places such as Limoges (which is rumoured as well...).

Regards,
RJ100  

[Edited 2006-03-05 17:57:33]
none

flycro

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:14 am

Yesterdays Independent newspaper reckoned Easy will announce Split this week as a new destination.

Joost

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:25 pm

I agree on hre with RJ100 that Bordeaux and Nuremberg are the typical easyJet destinations. Just like Basle, Bristol and Newcastle. Large cities but pretty much left by the 'national' carriers like LX and BA who concentrated on their hubs.

easyJet actually have served Bologna for quite a while and dropped it after summer 2005, IIRC they served it from LGW.

For Rijeka and Split, I think those are logical next steps in their strategy. They have a strong position on the UK - Spanish and Portugese sun/sea/beach destinations (ALC, AGP, FAO) and here I think it is no more than logical that they want to serve the rising destinations too.

I could see Thessaloniki as a destinations from LON, PAR, MXP or SXF, for tourists mostly and a bit of VFR/Business traffic in the mix.

All together, I do not see it as a change of strategy, but more as a logical evolution. Also, because some of their markets (UK-Spain) look to become pretty saturated.

richardw

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:50 pm

Not really a change in strategy, just flying to where the demand is. Some BA flights from LGW, inc BOD and SPU, seem to have good demand levels.