Gr8Circle
Topic Author

Airlines Flying To Most # Of Continents/countries

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:38 am

Which airlines would be operating flights to all six continents (excl. Antartica)?

And which airline would be having flights to the maximum no. of countries?

Thanks in advance for the replies, because this might take some figuring out....  smile 

belizexp

RE: Airlines Flying To Most # Of Continents/countries

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:46 am

Easy CO all that is needed is Africa  Smile
Belize my home sweet home...

aircanada014

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:51 am

Air Canada needs Africa. They already fly to 5 other continents. Lufthansa needs Australia to cover all continents, they serve at least 200 cities in 100 countries world wide. I do Believe BA flies to all continents.

dfwmzuri

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:40 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Thread starter):
And which airline would be having flights to the maximum no. of countries?

I, too, think BA flies to all continents.

ikramerica

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:58 am

this is deja vu. search for topic. extensive posting was done re: this
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

cedars747

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:52 am

Emirates is an all continents airline with an eye on the Antartica!
Ya hala bil Imarat!
Alex!!!

[Edited 2006-03-06 02:55:01]
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

YULWinterSkies

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 5):
Emirates is an all continents airline

EK does NOT fly to South America.

Quoting DFWMzuri (Reply 3):
I, too, think BA flies to all continents.

YES they do.

AF will be just behind by also serving all continents, the difference with BA being that they do not serve the mainland of Oceania (ie Australia), but only an island which is part of Oceania (PPT).

Second part of the question: maximum # of countries!!!! AF and LH should rank quite high, followed closely by BA and KL probably. Which US airline is very strong on the Caribbean (AA?) and hence would also serve lots of countries?
When I doubt... go running!

dforce1

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:11 pm

Quoting Aircanada014 (Reply 2):
Air Canada needs Africa.

If and when AC ever flies to Africa, what do you think will be their first city?

andz

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:20 pm

SAA flies to all continents and has for a long time.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

MAH4546

RE: Airlines Flying To Most # Of Continents/countr

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:22 pm

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 6):
Which US airline is very strong on the Caribbean (AA?) and hence would also serve lots of countries?

CO, I believe, serves the most countries among US airlines. AA would come second.

American Airlines does serve every independent country in North America except St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
a.

cedars747

Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:47 pm

EK does NOT fly to South America.

South America is not a continent"it's a part of AMERICA"
Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion !لدي شغف للطيران !I have a passion for aviation !Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart!j'ai

Simong

Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 10):

South America is most definately a continent .... back to the classroom for you !!!!
BA all the way !!!

cedars747

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:01 pm

Quoting Simong (Reply 11):

South America is most definately a continent .... back to the classroom for you !!!!

Maybe in the Canadian classrooms buddy .Remember that Christophe Columbus discovered America not south America.Are you telling me that Middle east ,Scandinavia and Southeast Asia are new continents
http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/continents.htm
Alex!!!

[Edited 2006-03-06 12:30:23]

letsgetwet

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:48 pm

Continental Airlines is the world's sixth-largest airline. Continental, together with Continental Express and Continental Connection, has more than 3,100 daily departures throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia, serving 151 domestic and 133 international destinations, more than any other carrier in the world.

Gr8Circle
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting DFORCE1 (Reply 7):
If and when AC ever flies to Africa, what do you think will be their first city?

Nairobi, Lagos and Johannesburg would be potential candidates for AC.....

North and South America are always counted as two seperate continents....although, technically, they are a contiguous land mass.....but then Europe and Asia is even more glaring.....they should never have been counted as two seperate continents....it's a complete twisting of rules to divide Western countries and 'Asian' countries - a legacy of the British, French and others, I suppose....

planemannyc

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:49 pm

As I am sure mentioned before, Malaysia flies to all continents.

Best,

Wasim / Planemannyc

antoniemey

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 12):
Maybe in the Canadian classrooms buddy .Remember that Christophe Columbus discovered America not south America.Are you telling me that Middle east ,Scandinavia and Southeast Asia are new continents

Nope, those are "Sub-Continents." South America is DEFINITELY its own continent.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

cedars747

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 16):
Nope, those are "Sub-Continents." South America is DEFINITELY its own continent.

DEFINITELY we have different POINT DE VUE.America is one continent once discovered by Cristobal Colon where American Indians use to live from Canada in the north to Tierra del fuego in the south
With all my respect
Alex!!!

letsgetwet

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 14):
North and South America are always counted as two seperate continents....although, technically, they are a contiguous land mass

I believe this debate is a matter of different cultures teaching things differently in their school systems. European children are taught that Americas is one continent.

bongo

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:16 am

EK does NOT fly to South America

South America is not a continent. The continent is America.... it´s like western/eastern Europe.... One continent.
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

David L

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 am

America is technically one continent but it's usually divided into North, Central and South for convenience.

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 14):
but then Europe and Asia is even more glaring.....they should never have been counted as two seperate continents....it's a complete twisting of rules to divide Western countries and 'Asian' countries - a legacy of the British, French and others, I suppose....

It's not just about landmasses, it's about tectonic plates, continental drift, etc. Calm down, it's a geographical thing, not a political thing.  Smile

nateDAL

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:40 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 9):
American Airlines does serve every independent country in North America except St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

They don't fly to Paraguay anymore.
Set Love Free

Experimental

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Aircanada014 (Reply 2):
I do Believe BA flies to all continents

IIRC they also fly to every sub-continent exept oceana's island's eg. New Zealand, Tahiti.....

Gr8Circle
Topic Author

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting David L (Reply 20):
It's not just about landmasses, it's about tectonic plates, continental drift, etc. Calm down, it's a geographical thing, not a political thing.

Your point about it being a geographical thing is absolutely right....so please educate me on how Europe and Asia are two continents!! If we go by the logic of tectonic plates (which is definitely not the way continents are defined), I suspect that a lot of other continents would need to be divided....the strict definition is that a continent is one contiguous land mass, surrounded on ALL sides by water....

No buddy, it is VERY MUCH a political thing.....albeit, a convenient division created by people who are long ago gone....no reflection on governments or communities existing today.....

Anyways, this is just for discussion sake and my personal opinion....  smile 

hugggan

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:52 am

Hey guys

Of course South America and North America are two separate continents. Aren't we told that there are 7 continents altogether. Thoso would naturaly be Europe, Asia, Oceanina, Africa, South America, North America and Antartica.

And I sure live in europe and we are not thought that North and South America are one continent, I mean they aren't even in geographical means as they are two separate landmasses (separated by the panama canal).

Peace out

David L

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 23):
No buddy, it is VERY MUCH a political thing.....

Well, you're obviously a lot more politically sensitive than I am - I think I'll keep a safe distance.

Quoting Hugggan (Reply 24):
And I sure live in europe and we are not thought that North and South America are one continent, I mean they aren't even in geographical means as they are two separate landmasses (separated by the panama canal).

You can't create new continents by running a canal across the middle! 

[Edited 2006-03-06 20:19:05]

vv701

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 12):

Maybe in the Canadian classrooms buddy .Remember that Christophe Columbus discovered America not south America.

In British classrooms we learned that Christopher Columbus discovered not 'America' nor 'south America' but the Americas. We also leaned that 250 million years ago what we know today as South America, Africa, Australia and Antarctica (but not North America) formed a land mass known as Gondwanaland. Gondwanaland was originally the southern part of the former supercontinent, Pangaea. The northern half of Pangaea was Laurasia comprising what we know today as North America, Greenland, Europe and Asia.

In our modern geography lessons we learned that the Ural mountains separated the modern continents of Europe and Asia. We also learned that just as the Isthmus of Panama linked the continents of North and South America so the contintent of Africa was linked to the continent of Asia and through it to the continent of Europe by the isthmus between the Red Sea and the Mediterranean. We were taught that even though North America, South America, Europe, Asia and Africa were not entirely separate thay were, like Australia and Antarctica separate continents.

Those who wish to regard North and South America as a single continent may do so. Those that wish to regard them as one continent (and not a hemisphere) may also do so because, as we hasve seen, there is no clearcut geo-definition of what forms a continent and what does not. And those who wish to consider that Greenland, Madagascar and New Zealand are seperate mini-continents may also do so.

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 17):
American Indians use to live from Canada in the north to Tierra del fuego in the south

Again this is hardly relevant in determining what a continent is. After all we were taught in British schools that those same American Indians crossed the Barents Straits from Asia to colonise the Americas and, prior to that crossing, that there were no human inhabitants in the Americas. (Similarly we were taught that the Aryan races of northern Europe and the peoples of the Indian sub-continent both originated in Ariana that is, today, the eastern part of Iran. So that squares the circle. The origins of both the American Indians from northern Canada to Tierra del Fuego and most modern Americans and Europeans was Asia!)

BigOrange

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:54 am

Quoting Belizexp (Reply 1):
Easy CO all that is needed is Africa

CO do not fly to Australasia

David L

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 26):

I wish I'd managed to get this in before your post as it's time for me to eat humble pie.  Sad

Two separate landmasses that came together, yes. I have to concede that it's not unreasonable to call them separate continents... but it has nothing to do with the Panama Canal.  Smile

I'm leaving the room in disgrace now.

bond007

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 am

"By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America, and South America.

Most students in the U.S. are taught that there are seven continents.

In Europe, many students are taught about six continents, where North and South America is combined to form a single America. Thus, these six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe.

Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (since they're one solid landmass). Thus, these six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Eurasia, North America, and South America."
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

cedars747

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:08 am

In British classrooms we learned that Christopher Columbus discovered not 'America' nor 'south America' but the

VV701 I would like to thank you for this amazing and clear inform about this issue.
With all my respect
Alex!!!

MarshalN

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 29):
Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (since they're one solid landmass). Thus, these six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Eurasia, North America, and South America."

If anything, this definition makes the most sense.

antoniemey

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting David L (Reply 20):
It's not just about landmasses, it's about tectonic plates, continental drift, etc. Calm down, it's a geographical thing, not a political thing. Smile

North and South America aren't on teh same plate... heck, parts of them aren't even on teh same plate as each other.

Quoting David L (Reply 25):

No, but that Canal was cut through an Ismuth, and followed the course of pre-existing rivers and lakes.

In British classrooms we learned that Christopher Columbus discovered not 'America' nor 'south America' but the Americas. We also leaned that 250 million years ago what we know today as South America, Africa, Australia and Antarctica (but not North America) formed a land mass known as Gondwanaland. Gondwanaland was originally the southern part of the former supercontinent, Pangaea. The northern half of Pangaea was Laurasia comprising what we know today as North America, Greenland, Europe and Asia.

Looks a lot like what I learned in school here in the USA... along with the rest of your post. You beat me to it.  Smile

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 27):

I beg to differ. They fly to one city in Australia via GUM with CO Micronesia.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

aa1818

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:26 am

Hey guys

Of course South America and North America are two separate continents. Aren't we told that there are 7 continents altogether. Thoso would naturaly be Europe, Asia, Oceanina, Africa, South America, North America and Antartica.

I was taught the same!!
But I could see how opinions would differ. I think for the sake of the thread, NAmerica and SAmerica should be separate. An airline flying to JFK or LAX only cannot be covering Colombia, Brazil, Barbados and Peru too. It's ridiculous. So disregarding all geographical disputes, let's just count them separately.

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

Delta4eva

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 27):

CO does fly to Australia...check their route map.. they fly to Cairns.
FLY DELTA JETS

Gr8Circle
Topic Author

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting David L (Reply 25):

Well, I'll drop my 'politically sensitive feelings' and agree with you on this point    ....the Panama Canal is man-made and cannot be the criteria for demarcating continents......it's the sheer distinct shapes of the two land masses that require north and south America to be defined as two seperate continents..... which I don't see in the case of Europe and Asia   Oops! There I go again.....

[Edited 2006-03-06 22:35:48]

bond007

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 35):
it's the sheer distinct shapes of the two land masses that require north and south America to be defined as two seperate continents..... which I don't see in the case of Europe and Asia Oops! There I go again.....

Hence my earlier post!

"Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (since they're one solid landmass). Thus, these six continents are Africa, Antarctica, Australia, Eurasia, North America, and South America."

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!