letsgetwet

JetBlue's On Time-performance

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:30 am

B6 reported a 62.5% on-time performance for Feb. That is probably the worst I have ever seen for any airline.
http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/060306/95233.html

nwab787techops

RE: JetBlue's On Time-performance

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 am

Oh , it was the new A/C the EMB190. Not that the EMB 170-190 FAM is a bad A/C. But , when you get a new fleet tip you run into new thing your never seen before. B6 sould have worked the bugs out first before useing the a/c as much.

At RP airlines when they got the EMB170 same thing with the performance, But now it's a great a/c for RP(DL,UA,and US).

luv2fly

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:00 am

Had you even read the article? Or did you just want to bash them by not pointing out the facts in the article that would have explained the performance in question?

"JetBlue's preliminary completion factor was 97.2 percent and its on-time(2) performance was 62.5 percent. JetBlue's operating performance for the month was adversely impacted by a blizzard that hit the Northeast over the weekend of February 11, resulting in the cancellation of 297 flights".
You can cut the irony with a knife

nwab787techops

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 2):
Had you even read the article? Or did you just want to bash them by not pointing out the facts in the article that would have explained the performance in question?

"including the integration of the EMBRAER 190 aircraft into our operations"

letsgetwet

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting Nwab787techops (Reply 1):

"JetBlue's preliminary completion factor was 97.2 percent and its on-time(2) performance was 62.5 percent. JetBlue's operating performance for the month was adversely impacted by a blizzard that hit the Northeast over the weekend of February 11, resulting in the cancellation of 297 flights".

I guess they were the only airline so adversely impacted? I realize they are a small airline with a large part of their routes concentrated in the north-east.
That 62.5% is a horrible # though. I was merely making the point that I don't remember the last time I saw a lower % .

luv2fly

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:10 am

JetBlue's preliminary completion factor was 97.2 percent

It looks like they only cancelled 2.8% of its flights, show me another airline with that low of a number.

airtran737

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:14 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 5):
It looks like they only cancelled 2.8% of its flights, show me another airline with that low of a number

http://finanzen.net/news/news_detail.asp?NewsNr=377844

Done. AirTran 1.7%
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

letsgetwet

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:27 am

It looks like they only cancelled 2.8% of its flights, show me another airline with that low of a number.

Continental 98.4 % completion factor
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060301/daw075.html?.v=1

nwab787techops

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:33 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 7):

Well, CO must not fly in the notheast as much as B6.  Big grin

ScottB

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:34 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060301/d...?.v=1

And Continental had to deal with cancelling flights at EWR due to the blizzard as well.

ikramerica

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 9):
And Continental had to deal with cancelling flights at EWR due to the blizzard as well.

CO has a winter threesome: CLE lake effect, NYC blizzards, IAH low clouds and rain.

But they are used to it, and it doesn't usually strike all three hubs at once.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

richierich

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:11 am

While I think JetBlue's on-time percentage is a horribly low number, I think the fact that they don't choose to cancel flights definitely plays a major role in the metrics.

I think 98.4% is pretty amazing considering the EWR base. But remember, what percentage of B6 flights touch JFK/LGA/BOS? I don't know the number but lets just say its almost all of their entire network, and certainly a much bigger percentage than CO's EWR ops compared to the rest of their network.

And finally the E190. I'm sure the introduction of this new plane didn't help matters much but comparitively speaking, I think the weather was a much bigger factor.
None shall pass!!!!

letsgetwet

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:26 am

My original statement was about on-time performance, not completion factor. They are two entirely different statistics. You can have !00% completion factor and terrible on-time performance.

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 12):
My original statement was about on-time performance, not completion factor. They are two entirely different statistics. You can have !00% completion factor and terrible on-time performance.

True, but Neeleman has discussed many a time how on-time performance will be sacrificed to maintain completion factor. So with B6, its relavent to discuss the pair as connected.

Once upon a time, B6 had a really good on-time rate... I hope with the relocation of staff to Queens that an effort is put in to improve the rate. Yes, I know the E190 has hurt the rate and won't so much going forward (all airframes have teething issues). Why do I post this? I really see B6 having a great future, but there are a few real issues they must deal with and not dismiss; all world class organizations accept this and adjust and adapt. No airline does everything perfectly; the better ones are always trying to improve (as I believe B6 strives to do).

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

remcor

Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:49 am

Well it seems that B6's problems in introducing the E190 are largely its own:

"Two other carriers also have been integrating new 190s into their fleets, with just the usual glitches but no major problems, sources say."

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...ry+%e2%80%93+the+story+so+far.html

richierich

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 12):
My original statement was about on-time performance, not completion factor. They are two entirely different statistics.

I know, I should have also said that JetBlue has made it clear, through PR statements, etc., that they prefer to run flights - even if very late - rather than cancel them.
In the case of last month, we had a very large snow storm in the NE that forced every airline to cancel lots of flights, JetBlue included. However, as I said, because the majority of JetBlue's flights touch the New York airports and Boston too, the cancellation percentages and delayed flight percentages will be slightly skewed as compared to an airline that only has, say, 50% of its network in the same regions.
None shall pass!!!!

slider

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:21 am

Hey- newsflash for you: unless you're in the high 99% range, you're cancelling too many flights or not operating enough. Had CO had DL's completion factor in 2005 for the full year, they'd have had to whack 6 FULL DAYS worth of flying.

That's not to say that operating the flight no matter what or at any price is the best practice, as even the top completion driven airlines will proactively thin out schedules in advance of weather issues, but typically when you run the usual schedule, you are successful in being ontime, making connections, keeping crews on track, and running a good operation. B6 has a long way to go with that aspect. And since they are non-IATA, they don't have to interline either, which gives them a boost for their bag numbers.

JBLUA320

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 am

The 97.2% completion rate is actually a bit scary-- I thought jetBlue had a much higher completion rate in months past?

JBLU

richierich

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 16):
And since they are non-IATA, they don't have to interline either, which gives them a boost for their bag numbers.

That's a good point.
So does it make sense to go IATA then?
None shall pass!!!!

jetbluefan1

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 17):
The 97.2% completion rate is actually a bit scary-- I thought jetBlue had a much higher completion rate in months past?

JetBlue cancelled almost every flight on 2/13 (the day of the big snowstorm), and even some flights on 2/14. I believe there were only 1 or 2 cancellations on the other days.

As far as on-time, it's not at all good. But there are still some problems even with that figure - the days after the snowstorm were a mess! On 2/14, JetBlue's on-time figure was a whoppingly low 15%. Also, with the excessively strong head winds causing most westbound flights to make a fuel stops, JetBlue suffered some really bad days (diversions for fuel stops count as delayed flights). And even if a flight didn't have to make a fuel stop, it would still get into Cali an hour late because of the winds.

The reason JetBlue is more vulnerable to such problems is because of its route structure. Over 95% of JetBlue's flights link with NYC or BOS daily. Those two cities were the most heavily hit during the snowstorm. Also, a good percentage of JetBlue's flights are transcon, which experienced many problems during the month. A flight would depart on-time but still land very late.

In any case, I've been tracking all flights starting March 1, and everything looks quite impressive. The E190s are showing massive improvement and flights are running on-time for the most part. If things go on like this, I would expect an on-time factor of over 80% for March. However, being based in NYC and all, we can never predict the weather...

JetBluefan1

werdywerd

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 15):
"Two other carriers also have been integrating new 190s into their fleets, with just the usual glitches but no major problems, sources say."

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles....html

Are you serious? Jetblue was the first airline to utilize the E190 and help Embraer work out the initial glitches. Because of jetblue, Embraer has worked out most of the initial problems with software upgrades before delivery of the E190 to other airlines. Jetblue was the testbed for this aircraft and of course had to deal with the initial problems.
Beleive it or not, speaking with A/C maintenance here they state that most issues have been solved and I havn't seen many IROP's for the E190 is several weeks unlike when we first had them deleivered. The E190 has had over 5+ software upgrades already and all of our E190's have been updated to the latest.

So saying that the other airlines are not having any issues with the E190 is probably a true statement, but keep in mind it is mostly becasue Jetblue had to deal with them first.

bigdrewfl

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:50 am

The E190 contributed very little to the ontime performance. We only have 10 Emb up and running, B6 has learnd from their mistakes and only schs. these planes to operate just about 4 Flights a day. Im not defending the plane but we dont even have half the problems we initially had with the E190. They are performing way better now.

N1120A

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):
CO has a winter threesome: CLE lake effect, NYC blizzards, IAH low clouds and rain.

But they are used to it, and it doesn't usually strike all three hubs at once.

Um, IAH flights may get delayed, but will basically always complete. They just sit in MSY until the weather clears up at IAH.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

luv2fly

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:03 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 10):

CLE's lake effect has been very minimal this year if at all. Also the snow belt of Ohio is well east of the airport.

ikramerica

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 22):
Um, IAH flights may get delayed, but will basically always complete

Um, the thread is about On Time-performance, and last time I checked, that is what a delay contributes (or detracts from). Completion was a secondary topic in the thread, and CO beats B6 on both numbers.

Just one more time that you, N1120A, decide to correct me for no reason whatsoever. I've asked you not to respond to what I write in the past because of nonsense corrections like this, but you still insist on it. I really don't know what obsession you have with my posts.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

richierich

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Werdywerd (Reply 20):
Quoting Richierich (Reply 15):

That's strange... I never said that. Must be a glitch.
None shall pass!!!!

werdywerd

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 25):
That's strange... I never said that. Must be a glitch.

Nice Edit of #15 you made there.

N1120A

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 24):
Um, the thread is about On Time-performance, and last time I checked, that is what a delay contributes (or detracts from). Completion was a secondary topic in the thread, and CO beats B6 on both numbers.

You quoted a reply that was about completion percentage, not ontime performance. By using the IAH example, you insinuated that CO suffers from a completion problem, when that is plainly untrue.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jetblueatjfk

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 4):
I guess they were the only airline so adversely impacted? I realize they are a small airline with a large part of their routes concentrated in the north-east.
That 62.5% is a horrible # though. I was merely making the point that I don't remember the last time I saw a lower % .

All the airlines in NY experienced that but B6 has most of their flights in NY so if NY has bad snow and airports close, then basically they close up, but they still managed to get out a good amount considering it was the worst snow storm in history for NY.
The completion factor normally for them is 99.7% so it went down a little b/c of this but it is still every good. I f you were to bring up CO's on time for just NY and AA for NY and DL for NY you would see those number's are horrible too. AA and DL chose to cancel immediately and not cause stress of delays while B6 and CO (This was in some article that was on Google News back after the storm) chose to delay as much and cancel as little as possible to try and get the fights out sometime, instead of having to rebook hundreds of people on later flights.

Quoting ScottB (Reply 9):

Yea so, CO isn't based in EWR only and not that many flights outside of NY is there? Like I said, if you take CO's ontime for just their EWR/LGA/JFK flights, that number would be down in the dumps to.

All of the NY ontime was horrible from that but since B6 has mostly all flights in the NY area they get their OT affected the most where all the other airlines that are big in NY have bases in other big cities that didn't face the storm and that helps bring all their percentages up also.

B6jfk airplane 

richierich

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting Werdywerd (Reply 26):
Nice Edit of #15 you made there.

Except that the quote you used is actually in #14.... whatever, it doesn't matter.
None shall pass!!!!

werdywerd

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 29):
Except that the quote you used is actually in #14.... whatever, it doesn't matter.

Whoops you're right. My bad. Don't know how that happened.

lightsaber
Crew

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:54 am

I cannot help but noticing that even though B6 has poor ontime statistics, their customer satisfaction remains high.  Smile

Quoting Werdywerd (Reply 20):
The E190 has had over 5+ software upgrades already and all of our E190's have been updated to the latest.

wow! Five? So its like being up to DOS 6.1?  duck   Wink Hopefully these resolve any issues and the E190's get up to the flight hours that was originally planned for them.

Quoting Remcor (Reply 14):

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles....html

As others noted, B6 was first... but Neeleman also noted in a previous speech that some of the E190 problems were self inflicted. Ok. B6 knows that, they're correcting. Such as?
1. Entry into service with few (none?) pilots with 100+ hours of experience on the airframe (limits weather that the E190's could be flown into).
2. No HUD certification. (They're in the planes, but weren't opperating day 1). This again impacted poor weather operations. Are these up and running yet?

Interesting points in the article:

Quote:
“fuel burn per block hour is coming in lower than projected” and “RASM performance is better than projected in virtually every market we’re flying in.”

Great to hear the cost (ok, fuel burn) and RASM are higher than projections!  bigthumbsup 

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

MiCorazonAzul

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:24 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Thread starter):
That is probably the worst I have ever seen for any airline.

Judging by this thread starter, this is nothing else but yet ANOTHER jetBlue bashing thread......not surprised.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

artsyman

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:27 am

Judging by this thread starter, this is nothing else but yet ANOTHER jetBlue bashing thread......not surprised.

Judging by your post, you will defend jetbrutal no matter what the facts are. Month in, and month out, Jetbrutal has shown itself to repeatedly have shoddy on-time performance. Not just because of a recent storm.

jfklganyc

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:32 am

"While I think JetBlue's on-time percentage is a horribly low number, I think the fact that they don't choose to cancel flights definitely plays a major role in the metrics."

JetBlue should cancel flights. Does anyone remember the disasters at JFK the day of the blizzard? For some odd reason, B6 decided it was a good customer-service tactic to run flights in a record 26.2" snowfall. They were on the taxiways with int'l airlines that were operating one flight back to their respective country.

All B6 did was aggrevate their customers with hours of unnecessary delays in a DANGEROUS and OVERCROWDED situation that was run by OVERWORKED and FRUSTRATED air traffic controllers.

We all heard the transcripts from that night. JetBlue had no business trying to run a schedule under such taxing conditions. They have since refunded pax on those flights.

NOW WE'RE GOING TO USE SUCH STELLAR IDEAS LIKE AN ATTEMPTED SCHEDULE COMPLETION IN THE WORST BLIZZARD EVER TO HIT NYC AS AN EXCUSE FOR JETBLUE HAVING AN AWFUL ON-TIME PERFORMANCE?

I love JetBlue. But give me a freaking break. That's a load of garbage!

No one mentions that JFK is still the most on-time airport in the NY area:

JFK On-time Rate: 70%
LGA On-time Rate: 67%
EWR On-time Rate: 66%

"From January through September 2005, 33% of flights to LaGuardia were delayed , making it 32nd out of 33. In 2004, 27% were delayed and it was ranked 31st, and in 2003 LaGuardia had 24% of flights delayed and was ranked 29th. JFK had a similarly disappointing record. From January through September 2005, a full 30% of flights arrived late, placing it 31st among the nation’s 33 large airports. But in 2004, JFK had a 24% of flights delayed with a rank of 25th, in 2003 it has only 20% of flights delayed and ranked 23rd. Newark has consistently posted worst or second to worst. Now it is ranked 33rd of 33 with 34% of arrivals delayed."

"B6 reported a 62.5% on-time performance for Feb. That is probably the worst I have ever seen for any airline."

You're damn right it is! Also note that the on-time perfromance is:

7% lower than JFK
4% lower than LGA
3% lower than EWR

Let's not use those airports as an excuse for a poorly run operation, which is what this airline has become.

PJ

JBLUA320

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 34):

Let's not use those airports as an excuse for a poorly run operation, which is what this airline has become.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, though I agree with you that the weather is only part of the problem.

JBLU

TVNWZ

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:27 am

"B6 reported a 62.5% on-time performance for Feb. That is probably the worst I have ever seen for any airline."

7% lower than JFK
4% lower than LGA
3% lower than EWR

PJ

It is really disingenious to say the blizzard was the big driving force. The blizzard effect lasted several days, yes, but a 62% performance record means 38% of flights FOR THE WHOLE MONTH were on time. If every flight were late on any particular day it would only be 3.3% of the total month (assuming equal number of flights each day which is not technically correct because weekends are lighter.)

The math points to bigger, more insidiious problems.

And I like JetBlue

Cory6188

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:49 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 32):
yet ANOTHER jetBlue bashing thread

I understand that you're a B6 supporter, and that's fine, but you can't deny the facts. What do you want us to do? Ignore the rather disgraceful ontime record and pretend it never happened? I mean, it's jetBlue, after all, and since they can do no wrong, we're supposed to pretend that ignore unpleasant news like this, going about like nothing was wrong with the airline. Right? At least that's how it seems you'd prefer it.

Are we not allowed to make a post that is merely telling the truth? Whether you like it or not, 62.5% is not an impressive statistic, and it is meritous of having discussion, regardless of whether you view it as an attack on the airline.

I like CO, but if their planes began showing up whenever they felt like it and didn't adhere to the set schedule, it'd be cause for posting a thread as well. I wouldn't be happy that they're performing so poorly, but I wouldn't be angry that others decided to discuss it.

nyskymasters

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 11):
I think 98.4% is pretty amazing considering the EWR base. But remember, what percentage of B6 flights touch JFK/LGA/BOS? I don't know the number but lets just say its almost all of their entire network, and certainly a much bigger percentage than CO's EWR ops compared to the rest of their network.

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 19):
The reason JetBlue is more vulnerable to such problems is because of its route structure. Over 95% of JetBlue's flights link with NYC or BOS daily.

I'm sorry, but to say that "you must remember that the majority of B6's flights touch NYC" and use that as an excuse for running an operation late is unacceptable. If jetBlue wishes to run this big an operation into and out of NYC then they need to find a way to make it work better than it does.

The February blizzard affected jetBlue just as bad as it affected Continental, American, USAirways, Delta, etc. The blizzard excuse only goes so far. And as another post mentioned JFK is the least delayed of the three NYC area airports. That should be giving them an edge up on the competition.

jetbluefan1

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:22 pm

Quoting Nyskymasters (Reply 38):
I'm sorry, but to say that "you must remember that the majority of B6's flights touch NYC" and use that as an excuse for running an operation late is unacceptable. If jetBlue wishes to run this big an operation into and out of NYC then they need to find a way to make it work better than it does.

It isn't an excuse...it's actually the truth. As someone who lives less than 20 miles from JFK, I'll be first to tell you that the weather wasn't necessarily "great" this past February. Lots of windy days and one big snow storm lead to disaster, especially during a month with only 28 days in which evey day counts as a higher percentage (and the last couple of days of February along with early March have seen exceptional on-time figures).

It's B6's strategy to have almost all of their planes touch NYC every day. It's just the way their route network is laid out. If their on-time performance has to be sacrificed, then so be it. It comes with the territory, plain and simple.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 36):
but a 62% performance record means 38% of flights FOR THE WHOLE MONTH were on time.

That's incorrect. 62% were ON TIME. 38% were late.

JetBluefan1

AviationAddict

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:24 pm

An airline doesn't have any control over the day to day operations of major hub. ATC and mother nature are more to blame than an airline for delays at places like JFK and BOS. B6 has expanded their flights out of BOS a great deal over the past few months but the winds have been very unaccomadating as of late. Strong Northeasterly winter winds cause severe delays at BOS, my own B6 flight from BOS to IAD last weekend was delayed by over an hour do to the winds. B6 cannot be blamed for such delays.

jetblueatjfk

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 37):

You are pushing it to far just b/c you are anti-B6 and would rather see CO succeed so now you act like this is the worst thing you have ever seen and all that jazz, you are also pushing it further than it is so don't go blaming everyone else, you are in this too.

we're supposed to pretend that ignore unpleasant news like this, going about like nothing was wrong with the airline. Right? At least that's how it seems you'd prefer it.

You don't have to ignore it but you are blowing this way out of proportion. I mean ONE Freaking month out of what, like 6 years of their existence they have a 62 (which I am not denying is bad and extra bad for them but you are acting like the blizzard is a small reason for this) and it is not going to change everything. The weather last month was horrible and many thing added on top of that. Planes having to carry displaced PAX, then being delayed on carrying the regular scheduled PAX the days after which goes system wide since they have short turn around times plus the new planes have glitches in them which one 20 min delay causes ripples throughout. This is many small things that are bad and all happened to fall in the same month, it was a bad month face it. But while I agree yes other B6 supporters (and maybe including me) have pushed one side of the argument a little far, you basically on your own pushed your side every far too. So don't lay blame on all of us, leave some blame on you to.

I am not trying to be mean any way at all, but little things like this when people go off on others and then they go back and little stupid arguments that could have been ended in like 20 posts or less, go to far, then I must jump in, must to my displeasure of it b/c now you will come back quoting every sentence I say and ridiculing that, and then that will lead to other people going on what you said and so on and it will add like 20 more posts to it, but things needed to be put out there. Both sides pushed it a little to far, don't blame everyone else for pointing out things and then go off on them when they are not wrong, lay some blame for going back and proving other points.

B6jfk airplane 

richierich

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 pm

You must be kidding, right? Maybe JFK should open up a second hub in PHX to ease the on-time percentages in New York when there is a snow storm....

If you look at CO's ops in EWR, or DL's ops in LGA and JFK during that snowstorm: guess what, they had tons of delays and cancellations too! Its just that JetBlue doesn't have a DAL or IAH or SLC or ATL to dilute the percentages over the course of the month! How is this so difficult to understand? During the snowstorm, and quite possibly the day or two after as well, I'm willing to bet you were just as likely to be cancelled or delayed on any other airline flying into JFK/LGA/EWR as you would be on JetBlue.

Whether you like it or not, 62.5% is not an impressive statistic, and it is meritous of having discussion, regardless of whether you view it as an attack on the airline.

I totally agree except that you HAVE TO QUANTIFY the 62.5% by also saying their cancellation percentage is generally one of the lowest in the industry. It happened to be pretty good, in my opinion, considering that one whole day of the month was basically wiped clean away in New York last month.

JetBlue should cancel flights.

All B6 did was aggrevate their customers with hours of unnecessary delays

Yes, I agree. There comes a time when it makes sense to cancel a flight. Having passengers stuck on airplanes is not good and I'm sure the terminal must have resembled the Bronx Zoo at times. But, I also think other carriers cancel flights way too quickly in times like this. I know somebody who was told in MIA that because of the storm that Sunday, it could be Wednesday night before she got on a flight to NYC! And good luck trying to get a hotel after all the airlines have cancelled their flights.... Surely there has to be a happy medium.
None shall pass!!!!

nyskymasters

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 42):
You must be kidding, right? Maybe JFK should open up a second hub in PHX to ease the on-time percentages in New York when there is a snow storm....

Why go to PHX? B6 has FLL.
The February snowstorm was an unusual event to say the least. What I was trying to say is even without the snow event jetBlue does not have the most stellar on-time performance. There are a few folks here that seem to make excuses for this by blaming the fact that they fly into NYC airports? I say so what? That should make no difference. It obviously doesn't to the DOT each month when they publish the stats in the DOT's Consumer Report. jetBlue is going to have to find a way to make it work better. And I think they are starting to. Time will tell.

Cory6188

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 41):
So don't lay blame on all of us, leave some blame on you to.

Okay, I apologize. However, in all honesty, while I might have been sarcastic, I really don't think that MiCorazonAzul's post was really fair. Even so, I'm sure I could have been less abrasive. Truce?

you HAVE TO QUANTIFY the 62.5% by also saying their cancellation percentage is generally one of the lowest in the industry.

This is true, and normally, I would applaud them for this. However, in this case, the completion rate wasn't too impressive, either.

jetblueatjfk

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 44):

Okay, I apologize. However, in all honesty, while I might have been sarcastic, I really don't think that MiCorazonAzul's post was really fair. Even so, I'm sure I could have been less abrasive. Truce?

Yea true cause I agree with you and I re read my post and it came out harder than it meant and I didn't mean it as hard as it sounded.

So I hope we are on good terms still.

B6jfk airplane 

SFOMB67

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 19):
a good percentage of JetBlue's flights are transcon, which experienced many problems during the month. A flight would depart on-time but still land very late.

I think I remember seeing several threads this past month about Jet Blue making stops for refueling on quite a few of their westbound transcon flights. If you have to stop to refuel, you're gonna be late, and if the next segment is very late starting out, you may be late again on the other end.
Not as easy as originally perceived

Tornado82

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:04 pm

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 31):
wow! Five? So its like being up to DOS 6.1? duck Wink

I'm thinking Windows 98, with all the "blue screens of death"

7% lower than JFK
4% lower than LGA
3% lower than EWR

That's very damning right there, and oh so true.

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 41):
I mean ONE Freaking month out of what, like 6 years of their existence they have a 62 (which I am not denying is bad and extra bad for them but you are acting like the blizzard is a small reason for this) and it is not going to change everything.

JetBlue has had the lowest on-time percentage numerous months in the past too.

If you look at CO's ops in EWR, or DL's ops in LGA and JFK during that snowstorm: guess what, they had tons of delays and cancellations too!

Folks let's give B6 the benefit of the doubt. 28 days in February. Let's say the blizzard affected 2 full days of ops (even THAT is too kind to them, as one of their own admitted they had 15% on time on the Monday after the blizzard). 2 into 28 is 7.1% A "blizzard-adjusted" on time percentage is still 69.6%, which is still dismal.

Bridogger6

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Ya know, US Airways has huge New York states and east coast operations, yet they are consistantly good in their on time performance. Ever since combining their submission to the DOT in on-time performance, every single employee has been paid out 50 dollars every month for being in the top three of all the majors in on time performance. With major east coast operations, US is able to do it... so why can't B6? Cancelled flights dont really come into play as they are not counted as on time, so I don't see how they figure into an airline's on time statistics or have anything to do with anything..

WJ

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:31 pm

The amazing part is that with the blizzard which obviously affected B6, CO and all other heavy east coast carriers, the second to last in on-time performance was actualy Alaska with a dismal %71.2. But they didn't injure any animals this month...
146,727,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,300,310,319,320,321,330,343,DC9,D10,MD11,M80,E17