EZEIZA
Topic Author

Accident During Take Off (video)

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:20 am

The link to this video has been emailed to me today and I wanted to shre it here. Sorry if this has been already posted. If so, please suggest deletion, I did not have time to go through the search engine.

regards  Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rirSWicCXFs&search=crash%20accident
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

EGTESkyGod

RE: Accident During Take Off (video)

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:23 am

I think the words "Oh, shit!" spring to mind.
I came, I saw, I Concorde! RIP Michael Jackson

bongo

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:28 am

What the heck happened there ? Who knows more about that accident ?
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

deltagator

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:31 am

Interesting. Seems kind of weird to be sitting by the field just taking videos and then just saying in that deadpan voice "I cannot believe it." I'd be interested to know more of what the reasons behind it were.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

tigerotor77w

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:32 am

Why does the camera pan to the ground for a second there?  Confused

planespotting

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:35 am

You would figure that the camera man would be saying stuff to himself as the airplane started to nose over and stall...like

"what the..."

or "uh oh..."

or just a good ole "f*ck"

but he is speechless until after getting blown over by the shockwave.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

L1329II

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting Bongo (Reply 2):

Dont ask me how I know ... but the accident was caused by some cargo shifting during takeoff. I remember reading about this a few years ago.
"By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

JohnJ

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:37 am

deltagator

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:39 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 6):
but he is speechless until after getting blown over by the shockwave.

He falls forward. A shockwave would have knocked him backwards.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

JohnJ

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:41 am

The plane involved is in the A.net database:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joseph Tonna

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Bongo (Reply 2):

If I recall correctly, the gust locks had not been removed before takeoff... Can't recall where I read that...

Quoting Tigerotor77W (Reply 5):
Why does the camera pan to the ground for a second there?

Probably because the guy is stunned at what he just saw...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Poitin

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:44 am

Strange that there just "happened" to be a camera next to the runway when an airplane takes off, rotating just where the camera is located, then does a zoom climb, wing over and crash all within easy range of the camera.

There is much more going on here than is apparent. I would like to know more about this. Is this a setup or is it a real incident?  frown 
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

L1329II

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:47 am

Quoting L1329II (Reply 7):
Dont ask me how I know ... but the accident was caused by some cargo shifting during takeoff. I remember reading about this a few years ago.

ok... maybe not! Wrong airplane!  ashamed 

Blue_Angel

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:47 am

Kinda sure it's a fake. Look at the aircraft texture when it passes next to the camera... it has a "CGI feel" to it  Silly Also there's not even a small fire when the crash happens yet the fire is huge next... I think that's why the camera pans down, to blend the fake part (first one) and the real "fire video" (second one)... Plus the comment at the end...  Yeah sure

I'll advise you to read the comment of MensaJeff in the bottom of the page, I think he got it right  Smile

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 12):
Strange that there just "happened" to be a camera next to the runway when an airplane takes off, rotating just where the camera is located, then does a zoom climb, wing over and crash all within easy range of the camera.

There is much more going on here than is apparent. I would like to know more about this. Is this a setup or is it a real incident?

From the link in reply#8...
Narrative:
The aircraft took off for a test flight for a turbine-engine conversion programme. It climbed steeply, rolled to the right and crashed in a nose-down, rightwing-low attitude.

Being a test flight (after some conversion work) it's not that far-fetched that someone (presumably from the outfit that did the work) would be out there videoing, and have special access to the airport.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

WOA777

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:51 am

They forgot to remove the "control locks", the plane rotated on its own and then they realised that they had a "Stiff" control wheel and could not move it at all ..... Nothing they could after that!!!! May they rest in peace!!!!!
Ther was no cargo shift!!! This was a test flight!!!

APFPilot1985

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting Blue_Angel (Reply 14):
I'll advise you to read the comment of MensaJeff in the bottom of the page, I think he got it right

Did you miss the part where the guy posted the link to the accident report, it is real the dates match and it woudlnt be too surprising to video a test flight if it was something new.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

vzlet

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:53 am

"That's so stupid! If they're so secret, why are they out where everyone can see them?" - my kid

Eurohub

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Poitin (Reply 12):

There is much more going on here than is apparent. I would like to know more about this. Is this a setup or is it a real incident?

The link in Reply 8 suggests that the a/c was on a test flight with a new engine turbine - with that in mind, perhaps its less surprising that some guy was recording it?
Forget A vs B - Give me E or BAe any day of the week!

OHLHD

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 3):
That was some of the worst flying I've ever seen, no wonder he crashed.

Don´t write something like that if you don´t know what happend.
The pilots had no chance at all!

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 11):
If I recall correctly, the gust locks had not been removed before takeoff... Can't recall where I read that...

That is what happend.

There was a thread several months back with this video.

L1329II

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting WOA777 (Reply 16):

Yep! I posted too soon. I got this one confused with another crash. The one I was thinking about was a DC3 I believe in southern FLA (FLL Maybe) a couple of years ago where the weight shifted upon takeoff and the thing crashed into a nearby neighborhood.

APFPilot1985

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:08 am

nice comment, degrade the guy after he is dead when obviously he had no control. Ill be you aren't a pilot.

bond007

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 22):

nice comment, degrade the guy after he is dead when obviously he had no control. Ill be you aren't a pilot.

As harsh it might be, the final responsibility to remove the gust lock (therefore a thorough preflight - especially for a test flight), is with the pilot.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

APFPilot1985

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:16 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 23):
As harsh it might be, the final responsibility to remove the gust lock

This is true, but to call it the worst piloting he has seen is just a low blow

Poitin

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 15):
The aircraft took off for a test flight for a turbine-engine conversion programme. It climbed steeply, rolled to the right and crashed in a nose-down, rightwing-low attitude.

Being a test flight (after some conversion work) it's not that far-fetched that someone (presumably from the outfit that did the work) would be out there videoing, and have special access to the airport.

That would explain the camera.

Quoting WOA777 (Reply 16):
They forgot to remove the "control locks", the plane rotated on its own and then they realised that they had a "Stiff" control wheel and could not move it at all ..... Nothing they could after that!!!! May they rest in peace!!!!!

You would think that the pilot would check his controls before taking off -- particularly if it was a test flight after the aircraft had been modified.

It still looked like a cargo shift accident to me, but I will also admit that I could see no movements of the controls.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots ... poor bastards.  sigh 
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

Blue_Angel

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 17):

I read it. I know the crash happened. I just said I suspect the first part of THIS Video to be a fake, like this guy MensaJeff. Look at the way the camera follows smoothly the aircraft when it's going down, it points to the crash zone even before the aircraft reach it... kind of strange overall.
But I agree it must it must have been a horrible crash nonetheless  

[Edited 2006-03-09 18:23:26]

pilotaydin

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:26 am

im not sure if the ailerons move or not, but it seems like they do just a lil bit after takeoff as it rolls right.......

i just watched this 40 times in a row, ive never seen this before...but im really in some shock, even though it was a long long time ago...

wow....
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

bennett123

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:48 am

I seem to remember a plane crashing at Sumbergh in 1979 for a similar reason.

JAAlbert

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:32 am

So what is a "control lock" or "gust lock"? What function do they perform? How does the flight crew engage these and how are they disengaged? Is it part of the standard pre-flight check list?

corey07850

Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 30):
So what is a "control lock" or "gust lock"? What function do they perform?

They prevent the control surfaces from moving and banging around in high wind situations... Even in low wind conditions you can see the controls moving on smaller aircraft.

Quoting JAAlbert (Reply 30):
Is it part of the standard pre-flight check list?

Absolutely.

CFIjames

Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:43 am

In this accident it was not a normal "control lock" or "gust lock" installed in the cockpit. It was a lock on the control cables themselves, the kind of thing maintenance would install before doing work. Once they were airborne there was no way for them to control the airplane. It really drives home the point for to ensure a flight control test is done before every flight. Full left, full back, full right, full forward, full left is a standard box pattern that i do before every flight. Scary.
There are 3 simple rules for making a perfect landing every time. Its a shame that no one knows what they are.

litz

Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 23):
As harsh it might be, the final responsibility to remove the gust lock (therefore a thorough preflight - especially for a test flight), is with the pilot.

Noting the aformentioned check to see if the locks are removed, wouldn't this have been noticed later during the control surfaces checks when they didn't move?

Seems to me there's TWO places during preflight that this should have been caught ...

(mind you, I am NOT a pilot, just guestimating here ...)

- litz

rolfen

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:08 am

This has already been posted, if I remember well.
rolf

bond007

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:13 am

Quoting Litz (Reply 33):
Noting the aformentioned check to see if the locks are removed, wouldn't this have been noticed later during the control surfaces checks when they didn't move?

Seems to me there's TWO places during preflight that this should have been caught ...

(mind you, I am NOT a pilot, just guestimating here ...)

Yes, although it wasn't your standard gust-lock as was earlier mentioned, so it probably might not have been noticed during pre-flight outside the aircraft.

But,

Quoting CFIjames (Reply 32):
ensure a flight control test is done before every flight. Full left, full back, full right, full forward, full left is a standard box pattern that i do before every flight

Correct. You should get free-travel pushing the yoke all the forward, all the way back, left and right, and watch those control surfaces that you can (probably not ailerons/rudder in this example). In a piston aircraft it's normally part of the engine run-up checks, I'm sure somewhere else for a turboprop.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

IFEMaster

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting Blue_Angel (Reply 26):
read it. I know the crash happened. I just said I suspect the first part of THIS Video to be a fake, like this guy MensaJeff. Look at the way the camera follows smoothly the aircraft when it's going down, it points to the crash zone even before the aircraft reach it... kind of strange overall.
But I agree it must it must have been a horrible crash nonetheless

I agree - if you really slow this down and watch it frame by frame, there is a frame flicker between when the camera pans down, and when it pans back up to the crash site. It looks to me from nuant differences in the backgrounds and shadows and textures etc. that everything up to the pan down is CG, and it then begins a pan up, but the transition isn't smooth; it 'cuts' to the burning wreckage rather than moving to it.

I guess it's also feesable that when the camera pans down, recording was stopped, the cameraman reacted, ran over there, whatever, then came back after calming down a bit filmed the burning wreckage and making the calm comment that he did.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

MissedApproach

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 20):
There was a thread several months back with this video.

Like the man says, this has been posted before on this forum. It is in fact real.
No, I am not down on you for not searching this out, it can be difficult to find threads without some pretty specific knowledge about the previous posting.
The other thread
 Sad
Can you hear me now?

rolfen

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:31 am

-- sorry, redundant post --

[Edited 2006-03-10 00:34:59]
rolf

skibum9

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:36 am

Real nice comment. I wish there was a least respected user list because you belong on it. How would you like it if you died a an accident, be it a car or something else, and someone said something like that. Maybe you should take some sensitivity classes since you are still in college!
Tailwinds!!!

malaysia

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:58 am

I think this is more grissly while trying to land (The Caribou could not handle a 155mm shell from friendly fire)

http://www.c-7acaribou.com/album/photos/ha_thanh_arty.jpg

[Edited 2006-03-10 01:02:15]
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Areopagus

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:41 am

That seems to be the usual reaction of amateur videographers. When they realize the plane is going to crash, they lower the camera to watch the action directly instead of through the grainy viewfinder, and after the crash, they realize they should document it. Several times, I have heard the local news teaser say, "Amateur photographer tapes the crash of a vintage biplane (or whatever it is), full details at 11:00". So I stay up to watch it on the news, and sure enough, as the plane starts to get into trouble, the camera is pointed at the ground, and raised again to show the post-crash fire. Almost as common is that the "details at 11:00" provide no more information than the teaser.

FlightShadow

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting EGTESkyGod (Reply 1):
I think the words "Oh, shit!" spring to mind.

checkmark  Definitely. That's an amazing video, I only wish the cameraman had not pointed the camera at the ground for X amount of time.
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

aa87

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:44 am

I may sound like a crank, but could I request everyone refrain from flippant comments regarding crashes ? this video shows 3 people dying a sudden, horrible death, they were humans like us with families, friends, plans, please remember that.

sevenforeseven

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:14 pm

The picture is nothing more than a fake.
The model aircraft crashes and then suddenly the camera is taken off the crashed plane , when the camera goes back on the "plane" what you are watching is a load of trash being burnt.
Sorry fellow, I am no sucker, try elsewhere!!!

legacytravel

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:20 pm

Unfortunatly the crash is real. When they took off they rotated to far. ( I forget the proper terminology). I believe this problem was compounded by a shifting of cargo as well. 2 men died in this accident as well so lets show a bit of decorum here guys. The pilot could do nothing this close to the ground.

Regards,
Mark in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

APFPilot1985

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting Sevenforeseven (Reply 44):
The model aircraft crashes and then suddenly the camera is taken off the crashed plane , when the camera goes back on the "plane" what you are watching is a load of trash being burnt.
Sorry fellow, I am no sucker, try elsewhere!!!

Do you people read any of the responses before you type your own

MDorBust

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting Sevenforeseven (Reply 44):

I suspect the same for your age and occupation entries in your user profile.

This isn't exactly a hard incident to research.

The person who took the video discusses the crash here: http://www.otter-caribou.org/logbook.pdf
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

baylorairbear

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:34 pm

How many people have to provide the same, valid facts before everyone stops, whipes the muck out of their eyes, after having removed their heads from their asses, and utilizes the slightest bit of reasoning and reading comprehension?!?

BAB

This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow.
I'm just skipping stones...

EMBQA

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Lets see... you just saw friends die in plane crash. I think you would do the samething and drop the camera in shock.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

sevenforeseven

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:38 pm

OK Guys, if it is real I am sorry and take back what I have said.
Respect to all those that perished.