dragon-wings

Islip.....best Regional Airport In The Country?

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:21 am

Today I had the radio on and a ad for Islip MacArthur airport came on. In the ad it said that Islip was voted the best regional airport in the country. Is that true? Or is the ad stretching the truth a little to attract more passengers?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

D950

RE: Islip.....best Regional Airport In The Country?

Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:30 am

The survey was probably done at Islip town hall, a FREEEE shuttle to the Ronkonkoma station would be of great help.
Resting on your laurels is a synonym for flirting with disaster

Tornado82

Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:22 am

I'd have to say SBN, with the rail link pulling right up to the terminal.

jfklganyc

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:49 am

I've seen many beautiful 'regional' airports in the State of Florida. DAB comes to mind.

That said, I worked at ISP for a while before the new WN wing opened. Dated concourse, old facilities, and jetbridges with a big incline due to the low level of the terminal spell a 1970s throw back; not a 'best' distinction.

I'm sure the new terminal is a lot better. But outside, old roadways, crappy singage, and bad parking lot lighting add to the decades-old mystique.

ISP is hardly award-winning.

PJ

FutureFO

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:47 pm

Actually I like the classic B concourse at ISP. It has that classic feel to it. ISP is not all that bad. I like it better than SBN and I have overnighted in both cities. Plus the ISP people are nicer than the LGA and JFK people as far as NY'ers.

Sean from MCO and SDF
I Don't know where I am anymore

deltairlines

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:54 pm

And Pete McGowan (Islip's town manager, or dictator as my friend who lives in ISP calls him) resigned today...(terminal is named, in my best version of my friends voice, THE Pete McGowwwwannnnn terminal)

Anyway, he's always raving to me how much he loves using ISP...he can leave his house an hour before departure and not be in any hurry and he's got a ton of flights on WN to choose from.

Jeff

deltaguy767

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:56 pm

Hello All,
Of course I am bias towards my home airport of BDL as I write this, but I think BDL has got to be up there as one of the best regional airports in the country. With nonstops to SLC,LAX,LAS,DFW,and a plethora of Northeast and Southeast destinations BDL is a great airport to travel around the country. From its new facilities,to its location in the heart of historic New England, BDL has to rank in the top tier of regional airports.

Cheers from BDL and BAF  wave 
DeltaGuy767
A Good Landing is one you walk away from!

CRGsFuture

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:08 pm

Hey guys, personelly I think ISP is a solid airport, but not the best for the region it serves. I think the best when it comes to offers, facilities, and people is ALB and I have been to both.

ISP is getting newer but in terms of being a great "regional" airport I still think there are a lot out there that are strongly better than ISP, with SBN, BDL, and ALB comming to mind.
Flying you to your destination; your girlfriend to her dreams.

ikramerica

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:28 pm

Manchester New Hampshire is a nice little airport. I like the two sided food court for inside and outside security, and the metal moose greeting you by check-in.

If DAY is considered regional, it's my favorite though.

And the old EYW had a certain charm that is lost with the rebuild.

But it's not like I've been to all of them around the USA.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Tornado82

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 8):
Manchester New Hampshire is a nice little airport. I like the two sided food court for inside and outside security, and the metal moose greeting you by check-in.

I love MHT as well... although getting in and out of it to go south towards Nashua can be a little of a PITA depending on traffic as I learned over and over in the summer of '04.

Garri767

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:16 pm

my vote goes to MHT, way more convenient then boston, loved it as a whole.

Garri767
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

JBLUA320

Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:26 pm

I don't know if it's considered regional, but I really like BUF.

JBLU

prosa

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:10 am

You can't really compare ISP and BDL because BDL is much larger.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

qblue

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:42 am

The lates rating by Airports Council International and IATA is out.
http://www.airports.org/cda/aci/disp...nt.jsp?zn=aci&cp=1-7-46^6702_9_2__

Hagic

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting D950 (Reply 1):
The survey was probably done at Islip town hall, a FREEEE shuttle to the Ronkonkoma station would be of great help.

That's absolutely true... I've flown out of ISP to MIA a couple of times. But to fly to Canada from there is either through PHI (US) or BOS (CO) and it's always outrageously expensive. The option? take the LIRR from Ronkonkoma, get off in Jamaica and hop on the Air-Tran to JFK... quite a long ride considering that my family lives a couple of blocks away from ISP  banghead 
There's only one freedom of the press: That of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

FlightShadow

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:45 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 8):
And the old EYW had a certain charm that is lost with the rebuild.

I was there last summer, I didn't think it was too bad. I even camped right next to the security entrance gate and the security lady didn't have a problem with it  Smile
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

ikramerica

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 15):
I was there last summer, I didn't think it was too bad. I even camped right next to the security entrance gate and the security lady didn't have a problem with it

Well, yeah, but they just broke ground on the new terminal, so what you experienced is the old charm that will be lost.

No more "tossing your luggage through a hole in the wall" baggage claim system.  Sad
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.