leelaw

Northwest Bids $2M For FLYi Operating Certificates

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:13 am

(Dow Jones) WASHINGTON -- FLYi Inc.'s Independence Air, which stopped flying in January after failing to find a buyer, is seeking bankruptcy court approval to sell its operating certificates to Northwest Airlines Corp. for $2 million.

FLYi said Northwest has agreed to buy Independence Air's Department of Transportation and Federal Aviation Administration certificates, Federal Communications Commission licenses, manuals and some proprietary software.

In court papers filed Thursday, FLYi said the sale is subject to higher offers and Northwest's obtaining the necessary government approvals to buy the certificates.

FLYi said it will give competing bidders until March 17 to submit higher offers.

A hearing on the sale is scheduled for March 20 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del.

Dulles, Va.-based FLYi has been selling off its assets since January...

The company last month won court approval to sell its lease at Washington Dulles International Airport to UAL Corp.'s United Airlines for $4.3 million.

FLYi also expects to fetch between $8.6 million and $11.1 million when it auctions off leftover equipment, including spare parts, ground support equipment and office and computer equipment...
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

DLPMMM

RE: Northwest Bids $2M For FLYi Operating Certificates

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:15 am

Sounds to me like a short cut to get "Newco" off the ground.

avconsultant

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 1):

You know it!! This is going to get ugly. NW will agressively build Newco will the rank and file vote.

dsuairptman

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:38 am

Yes, but Newco will need planes, so it would take time for them to be delivered. Bottom line, the foundation might be laid, but launching acutal ops still has a ways to go.
GEAUX SAINTS!

GSPITNL

Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:41 am

This is going to get real messy. NW Is just begging for more problems!
Fly Delta - The Only Way To Fly! Silver Medallion Baby :)

ATWZW170

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:27 am

Do you think NW would get Newco up and going, then simply do away with mainline NW...kind of start over from the beginning?
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

OPNLguy

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting Dsuairptman (Reply 3):
Yes, but Newco will need planes, so it would take time for them to be delivered.

If you mean new aircraft from a manufacturer, there are already plenty of aircraft on the market which could be sold or otherwise transferred to any new entity...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bennett123

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:41 am

Do the certificates include landing slots.

UAXDXer

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 5):
Do you think NW would get Newco up and going, then simply do away with mainline NW...kind of start over from the beginning?

I think that is very possible with their domestic operation and keep the international flying as NWA.
It takes a bug to hit a windsheild but it takes guts to stick

m404

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:50 am

For all the time that NW owned Pinnacle outright, before it went public, they whined that they did not want to own a regional and they they did not see it as advantageous. What all has changed in the last 18 months or whatever it's been since the Pinnacle IPO to make them change their minds?
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

sunking737

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:01 am

Remember NWA Inc. is the parent company, Northwest Airlines is part of that company. If they get the Ifly cert. they could operate it as a sub., of NWA.

They (NWA) also have A320 sitting in the desert, they only take a few days to get back in the air.

What is the stat. of Ifly A320's. NWA could get them also.

NWA could bring its crews in at the lower pay, to fly the planes, under the Ifly name.
Just an MSPAVGEEK

iowaman

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 7):
Do the certificates include landing slots.

Um, IAD has no slots, and neither does any of the airports they flew into.

KarlB737

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:45 am

Courtesy: The Associated Press

Northwest Buys FLYi Operating Certificate

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060310/northwest_subsidiary.html?.v=2

panam330

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Iowaman (Reply 11):
Um, IAD has no slots, and neither does any of the airports they flew into.

Last I knew, Independence flew to LGA.

Tornado82

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 6):
If you mean new aircraft from a manufacturer, there are already plenty of aircraft on the market which could be sold or otherwise transferred to any new entity...

Newco doesn't seem to want 50-seat RJ's from any publication/propaganda I've seen about them. There aren't any E70/E90, CRJ700/900's sitting in the desert, either. About the only practical plane in that size sitting around anywhere would be Avro/BAe's.

spinkid

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting PanAm330 (Reply 13):
Last I knew, Independence flew to LGA.

Last I knew they were in Chapter 11, out of business and not flying anywhere. They never served LGA to begin with.

moose1226

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:28 am

I beg to differ.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Kopczak

burnsie28

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:34 am

Quoting UAXDXer (Reply 8):

I think that is very possible with their domestic operation and keep the international flying as NWA.

Not with the new contract, this is because its easier then doing their own paper work to get a new airline up and running.

lightsaber
Crew

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 1):

Good point.

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 6):

??? Desirable aircraft aren't available. What was a profitable aircraft at $25/bbl oil isn't at $60+/bbl. 737NG's and A32X aircraft are rarely available.

Quoting Sunking737 (Reply 10):
They (NWA) also have A320 sitting in the desert,

A320's that are under lease dispute. These will fly only when the lease rates are settled. Most of these A320's aren't at NW's disposal.

This gives me an indication of the real cost of getting a certificate. And I thought Virgin America might bid on this.  Wink  duck 

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

mptpa

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:20 am

Why would they want to pay $2M other than to get the paperwork already processed, so the process of getting the NewCo would be faster.

Certificates do not mean the pilots and their contracts come with it....

ATWZW170

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:36 am

I guess I don't understand why they would do this. I keep thinking that they will do away with domestic NW as we know it, allow planes like the E170 - E195 fly a majority of the routes....the 757, A320's will do most of the transcon, and a seperate company will fly all the international flights. It just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

FlyGuyClt

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:47 am

The "New" FLYi can only fly jets that seats 51 to 76 PAX. For NWA.

NWA's A319's are not compatable with FLYi's. Different engines.

This is a certificate purchase only.

Safe Flying  Smile
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

B707Stu

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:59 am

So is Newco NW's answer to DL's Song, which ultimately will change the entire face of DL's domestic business product, though we know the "Song" name and brand is history?

dsuairptman

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 14):
Newco doesn't seem to want 50-seat RJ's from any publication/propaganda I've seen about them. There aren't any E70/E90, CRJ700/900's sitting in the desert, either. About the only practical plane in that size sitting around anywhere would be Avro/BAe's

The entire essence of Newco's existence is to replace the DC-9 fleet with 90-110 seat regional jets, preferably the E-JET series from Embrarer. There is no desire indicated that Newco would be intrested in anything smaller than this range.

Its obvious the Avro is out of the running, NW is cutting that type out as we speak. In addition They would want a plane that provided greatly reduced operating costs, but have a cabin size of a main line jet. So far the E-JET is the only product that appears to acheive both of these requriements.
GEAUX SAINTS!

ltbewr

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:31 pm

Perhaps this is prevent another airline from buying these certificates (Virgin USA?) and compete against NW. Mmmmm? Maybe?

toltommy

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 24):
Perhaps this is prevent another airline from buying these certificates (Virgin USA?) and compete against NW. Mmmmm? Maybe?

No, not really. The certificate has been out there since FlyI shut down in January. If VUSA wanted it, they had plenty of time. Obviously they didn't want it. NWA was able to secure a deal for the certificate within 7 days of getting a new pilot deal. Coincidence, I think not.

This is all about setting up a subsidiary to fly the 51-76 seat aircraft as quickly as possible. For those who are confused, this is a process to speed up the process. Nothing more, nothing less. This has nothing to do with FlyI, the aircraft they flew, or the cities they flew to. it's just a faster way to get the subsidiary off the ground faster.

For those of you rubbing your hands, waiting for labor action, forget it. The pilot group agreed to allow "NewCo" or "Sjet" to be formed, in exchange for job securities for furloughed NWA pilots.

As for the aircraft type, my money is on the CRJ-705. Embraers order books are full for the 170's. Bombardier is sitting on a large NWA deposit for the CRJ-200 order that got cancelled. Plus they have the -200 line shut down. It can quickly be retooled and brought on line for the -705. It wouldn't be my first choice of planes, but you can understand why NWA will take what they can quickly get.

srbmod

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:33 pm

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 22):
So is Newco NW's answer to DL's Song, which ultimately will change the entire face of DL's domestic business product, though we know the "Song" name and brand is history?

No, Newco will be something similar to US Airways' Mid Atlantic Airlines. Newco's pilots will be previously furloughed NW pilots flying smaller a/c (probably E-Jets) at a lower pay scale.

lincoln

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:36 pm

Quoting B707Stu (Reply 22):

I don't think so... Song operated under the DL certificate and was more of a marketing thing than anything else (from what I understand, the crews were all on DL's payroll and mantained senority in the transfer).

Newco is, from what I've read, really more of an attempt to squeeze costs lower by shifting some of the flying (100-seat ballpark) to a lower-cost (no pensions, lower salaries, potentially non-union carrier that would look like, NW, walk like NW, and quack like NW... but unlike NW would make money.

Or at least that's my understanding of things.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

L1329II

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting TOLtommy (Reply 25):

This is all about setting up a subsidiary to fly the 51-76 seat aircraft as quickly as possible. For those who are confused, this is a process to speed up the process. Nothing more, nothing less. This has nothing to do with FlyI, the aircraft they flew, or the cities they flew to. it's just a faster way to get the subsidiary off the ground faster.

As for the aircraft type, my money is on the CRJ-705. Embraers order books are full for the 170's. Bombardier is sitting on a large NWA deposit for the CRJ-200 order that got cancelled. Plus they have the -200 line shut down. It can quickly be retooled and brought on line for the -705. It wouldn't be my first choice of planes, but you can understand why NWA will take what they can quickly get.

Quoting FlyGuyClt (Reply 21):
The "New" FLYi can only fly jets that seats 51 to 76 PAX. For NWA.

NWA's A319's are not compatable with FLYi's. Different engines.

This is a certificate purchase only.

Sooo... Although Indy's 319 engines were different why would it take a different certificate? I guess what I mean to ask is wy wouldnt NW be able to use this certificate for anything other than the 50 - 70 seat range A/C? Not that they would or wouldnt want to but I'm asking why they wouldnt be able to.
"By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

lightsaber
Crew

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:41 pm

Interesting theory into the -705 purchase. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Are Embraer's order books really that full? I've worked for manufacturing companies before; for an order of 50+ aircraft, they'll pull out the stops and work a ton of overtime until they can "man up" for sustained production.  scratchchin 

Quoting L1329II (Reply 28):
I guess what I mean to ask is wy wouldnt NW be able to use this certificate for anything other than the 50 - 70 seat range A/C?

The certificate is fine for any size aircraft. Its the agreement is with the NWA pilots that must be honored on penalty of "the mother of all strikes."

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

FlyGuyClt

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:56 pm

Quoting L1329II (Reply 28):
Sooo... Although Indy's 319 engines were different why would it take a different certificate? I guess what I mean to ask is wy wouldnt NW be able to use this certificate for anything other than the 50 - 70 seat range A/C? Not that they would or wouldnt want to but I'm asking why they wouldnt be able to.

It is all contractual. The TA's reached with both pilots and flight attendants allow Northwest to purchase this certificate. Then it allows them to start this new airline using 51 to 76 seat jets ONLY. It has nothing to do with anything else other than. 51 to 76 seat jets.

I was simply pointing out. NWA is famous for commonality with it's fleet. NWA would have no interest in their 319's. Nor could those airplanes be flown on the new certificate because of the 51 to 76 seat clause in the contract.

Safe Flying  Smile Facts and all.
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

CRJ900

Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:59 pm

As for the aircraft type, my money is on the CRJ-705. Bombardier is sitting on a large NWA deposit for the CRJ-200 order that got cancelled. Plus they have the -200 line shut down. It can quickly be retooled and brought on line for the -705. It wouldn't be my first choice of planes, but you can understand why NWA will take what they can quickly get.

Makes sense, plus NWA/Pinnacle has experience with flying the CRJ, so pilot training and mx will be easier (and cheaper, I assume...).

Here is a hot tip on how NWA can make the CRJ705/900 a customer favourite:

By using the "interior flex zone" that BBD offers, the cabin can be configured like this: first row after the main door - 9 or 12 F-seats at 37" pitch, followed by the "up-front" lavatory on the RH side and storage/closet/galley on the LH side followed by the Y-cabin with 64-66 seats at 32" pitch and drop down LCD-screens (which are also in the F-cabin). By having the "up-front" lav between the cabins there is a distinct separation between the classes and Y-pax can use that lav too without bickering with the FAs.

This will give the following comments from pax:

F-class pax: "Well well, no unwashed riff-raff has barged up and down the aisle in our wonderful cabin since boarding was completed. Excellent!"  Smile

Y-class pax: "It is my God-given right to use the front lav, after all, I paid $99 for my near-transcon return ticket includin' tax!" FA replies (with a big smile): "Go right ahead, sir, the lav is all yours." Y-class pax: "Er... really? Thanks!"  Smile

Y-class pax with square eyes after watching the air map and with knee-caps intact from having that extra inch of space: "This was quite nice, actually, I think I'll fly them again..."  Smile

Think smart. Make money. Get happy pax too...  thumbsup 

PS: cabin features are most probably applicable to E-jets too...  Smile
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

bahadir

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:54 pm

More pilot , f/a, mechanic jobs under much lower pay scales.. Welcome to another step in airline consolidation..
Earthbound misfit I

FutureFO

Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:32 pm

So with NW buying this certificate, I guess that means that NW has money to burn????? Very interesting. Get the employees to go to poverty level and then buy an AOC.

Sean from MCO and SDF
I Don't know where I am anymore

FLyingRev

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:34 am

Please forgive my ignorance, maybe I have missed something. What exactly is "Newco"?

Thanks,
FLyingREV

bobnwa

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting FlyingRev (Reply 35):
Please forgive my ignorance, maybe I have missed something. What exactly is "Newco"?

It is the temporary name that Northwest is calling the new carrier it wants to start up.

FLyingRev

RE: Northwest Bids $2M For FLYi Operating Certific

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:52 am

Bobnwa:

Thank you very much! I must have missed the news on that! It seems to me a little off the wall for them in the financial state they are in! But that is one of the many reasons why I am a pastor and not a CEO or CFO of an airline!

Thanks again,
FLyingRev

[Edited 2006-03-11 16:53:20]

srbmod

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 33):
I guess that means that NW has money to burn????? Very interesting. Get the employees to go to poverty level and then buy an AOC.

$2 million for a company that size is like $20 for the average person. Hell, if Delta can still afford all of it's sponsorship deals and promotions with various sporting teams, and other programs, then NW can afford to spend $2 million on an AOC.

ewmahle

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:34 am

Did any one else get the e-mail from Independence Air recently, if you were on the FlyI mailing list originally you should have. It was a promotion for Airtran. Giving $25 off a fare and stating if you liked Independece Air, you will like AirTran. I though it was pretty interesting. Sorry if this was discussed recently, I have not been on the website in a few weeks, which brings me to my other question, Newco? Can anyone direct me to another forum or give me a quick update on what Newco is. I know that is is going to be a startup carrier but thats about it.

Thanks

Midway2AirTran

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:09 am

I'd be a little suprised if there are no counter-bids on the certificates if there is still opportunity for so to happen. With many possible new start-ups trying to get off the ground and the drawn out processes to get the certificates nowadays, somebody may value that a little higher.

As I've mention earlier, there is nothing new about newco as long as it is tied to the same problematic organization.

Quoting Ewmahle (Reply 39):
Giving $25 off a fare and stating if you liked Independece Air, you will like AirTran.

Interesting, never seen that.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

ual777

Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Bahadir (Reply 32):
More pilot , f/a, mechanic jobs under much lower pay scales.. Welcome to another step in airline consolidation..

Ahhh, the race to the bottom. Ol' chainsaw Steenland(?) is at it again. Personally, I think Newco is horrible for all of the employees involved.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

burnsie28

Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 35):

It is the temporary name that Northwest is calling the new carrier it wants to start up.

I guess the name is now S-Jet

lincoln

Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:51 am

Plus they have the -200 line shut down. It can quickly be retooled and brought on line for the -705.

Depends on if you're thinking "airplane manufacturer quickly" or "normal human quickly"...

My dad is in upper-middle management at an aerospace firm that does metalwork for most of the large players in military/civil aviation (both fixed-wing and rotary)... I was just talking to him last night, and one of the suppliers that his company buys a critical material from has all of their orders booked through the end of 2007. If they don't already have the metal on order, it's possible that they may be able to retool the line, but not have the components they need.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ajiggity3

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:44 am

I am intrigued by Flyi promoting AirTran. Anyone know anything further on this?

FutureFO

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:05 am

S*****y-Jet is what Sjet stands for. You can probably figure out what the ** are.

Sean from MCO and SDF
I Don't know where I am anymore

krisair747

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:16 pm

Hey Sean,

Wouldn't it be ironic if Chautauqua bid on the flying for Sjet or NW???? Would you complain then?

Lay off NW and worry about your own regional.
Open your heart and push the limits

FLyingRev

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:29 am

LUVRSW

I am sorry if you feel that I was sucking up! I was just trying to be polite which I don't see a lot here on the these forums. Being new to A-net, I am appalled at some of the rude people and behavior I see especially since we all are just trying to love the same thing, aviation! Try kindness sometimes, it goes much farther…

FlyRev

DLPMMM

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:48 am

Amen Rev.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos