rjpieces

Delta LGA-ORD From Marine Air Terminal

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:07 pm

http://news.delta.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=10045

I was flying the Shuttle tonight and saw signs advertising that Delta's new service from LGA-ORD will operate out of the Marine Air Terminal.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, LGA-ORD is a prime business route and the Marine Air Terminal will be good for the pax on this route...But at the same time, I've always enjoyed the exclusive feeling that you have in the Marine Air Terminal.

Thoughts?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

bohica

RE: Delta LGA-ORD From Marine Air Terminal

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Quote:
Service on the new routes will be operated by Delta Connection carrier Shuttle America with the new 70-seat Embraer 170 jet featuring both first class and economy service. The Embraer 170 jet is one of the most preferred narrow-body aircraft flying today

Since when is an EMB-170 a narrowbody?

Other than that, I am not familiar with DL operations in LGA. Could it be that they are operating out of the Marine Air Terminal because they don't have enough room at the main terminal?

spacecadet

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:50 pm

Quoting Bohica (Reply 1):

You're saying it's a widebody?  Confused
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

bohica

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:01 pm

Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 2):
You're saying it's a widebody?

No. 737, 757, DC9, A320, etc. were always considered narrowbodies.

BigGSFO

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting Bohica (Reply 3):
Quoting Spacecadet (Reply 2):
You're saying it's a widebody?

No. 737, 757, DC9, A320, etc. were always considered narrowbodies.

Actually any single-aisle passenger aircraft can be considered a "narrowbody."

NWADC9

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting Bohica (Reply 1):

Since the paper days...
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

IADCRJ

Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:46 pm

With DL new service (or reinstatement) from LGA-DFW, is this a sign that DL could perhaps have intentions of rebuilding DFW a "Focus City" if not a true hub again?

BigGSFO

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 6):
With DL new service (or reinstatement) from LGA-DFW, is this a sign that DL could perhaps have intentions of rebuilding DFW a "Focus City" if not a true hub again?

Most likely not. They are offering a highly-desired service which will appeal to their FF'ers in the DFW area. It'll be interesting to see if it will last.

GQfluffy

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:47 pm

So...uh...help out the dumb un-informed...what's the Marine Air Terminal???
This isn't where I parked my car...

N1120A

Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:50 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 8):

It is the old PanAm terminal that DL runs the Shuttle out of.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

worldtraveler

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:37 pm

to address the original post, putting the ORD flights at the Marine Air Terminal allows DL to offer a hiqh quality product in a very competitive business market. The Marine Air Terminal is separate from the rest of the terminals so is VERY easy to access. Once inside, there are loads of business-type amenities and very few of the crowds that characterize the rest of the terminals, including DL's LGA Flight Center which is becoming increasingly crowded. It's a good move and DL will do fine.

B707Stu

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:54 pm

I'm sure they don't have room at the main terminal and DL is being very smart and direct with their attack on AA, who recently broke the 'gentlemen's' agreement between them with LGA-ATL service. DL is clearly retaliating and deciding to go after historically one of AA's (and UA's) owned commodities, LGA-ORD. What concerns me is that DL's only potential of connecting passengers from ORD will be at LGA since ORD is truly not in any way shape or form a hub for them. And from LGA all the connecting flights will be going from the other terminal, making layover times increased and hassle time for passengers high. Or are they so convinced the point-to-point business warrants this. Doesn't make total sense to me, why not move all Florida flights to Marine Air Terminal?

mats

Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:04 pm

I think this is a good idea. They're obviously counting strictly on O&D traffic between the two cities. BUT wouldn't it therefore make more sense to fly to MDW?

The Marine Air Terminal is an important asset for Delta. It offers a convenience that no other terminal in New York can offer (unless you count a helicopter).

tinpusher007

Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:14 pm

I always thought DL should have their own terminal to themselves instead of sharing it with NW. They are much larger at LGA than NW and need as much space as possible.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

jfklganyc

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:04 am

"With DL new service (or reinstatement) from LGA-DFW, is this a sign that DL could perhaps have intentions of rebuilding DFW a "Focus City" if not a true hub again?"

I think it's more a sign that DL has intentions of continued build up in NY with major expansions at JFK and LGA.

"Doesn't make total sense to me, why not move all Florida flights to Marine Air Terminal?"

The Marine Air Terminal is for business. No leisure flights allowed!  Smile DL Shuttle is not regular DL! They guarantee their pax that they could show up 20 minutes prior, but a ticket, check in, and still get on a flight.

You start adding loads of flights to the 'MAT', that guarantee goes out the window.

Another good feature about the MAT is the ability to be on the street in less than 1 min once you deplane. And deplaning is through front and rear doors. So the whole process is very streamlined and efficient.

A Song 757 wouldn't fit in here.

PJ

tinpusher007

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:25 am

I doubt it, but when I DL pulled down DFW, I always wondered why they didn't keep routes to key focues cities like LGA, JFK, BOS, LAX, MCO, TPA and FLL.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

Jaws707

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:37 am

I am flying Delta for ORD-LGA in April for only $137 roundtrip. I think that is a great deal, therefore I welcome the increase in competition they offer American and United on that route. I chose Delta from the three because of the aircraft, it was EMB170 vs MD80 vs A319.

One question about LGA, does the airport have an easy connection to either a train, bus, or subway from the Marine Air Terminal?

B4REAL

Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:44 am

is this a sign that DL could perhaps have intentions of rebuilding DFW a "Focus City" if not a true hub again?

Don't hold your breath.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

OttoPylit

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:25 am

I would think the point of operating the LGA-ORD flights out of the Marine Terminal is because they are going after the business passenger, and any business passenger in NY would prefer QNY(Marine Terminal) over LGA anyday. Remember that with DL Shuttle flights, they have the guarantee that you can check-in, get through security, and be boarding in 10 minutes. Thats probably what they are going for with the LGA-ORD flights. Give them the ability to show up, zip through security, and be on their way in minimal time, rather than deal with the constant headache that LGA is sometimes.

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

SESGDL

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:43 am

I've heard rumors that DL actually cut back service too much from DFW. Despite DL not being able to compete effectively at DFW with AA, DL has realized that it can still sustain service from DFW to its big cities like NYC, MCO, possibly LAX or LAS in the future, etc. It's also part of DL's strategy to open more point-to-point service to cities with a strong DL presence, and LGA is one of those markets.

Jeremy

WesternA318

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:52 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 10):
to address the original post, putting the ORD flights at the Marine Air Terminal allows DL to offer a hiqh quality product in a very competitive business market. The Marine Air Terminal is separate from the rest of the terminals so is VERY easy to access.

Exactly, this might also be an extension of te Shuttle routes? Kinda like what the Eastern shuttle did way back when, when it not only served DCA and BOS, but also DTW, ORD and IAD?

Quoting Jaws707 (Reply 16):
, does the airport have an easy connection to either a train, bus, or subway from the Marine Air Terminal?

There is a bus that goes there, which you can connect to the subway from.
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

dl021

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 8):

To be a bit more specific about the name it's the old Pan Am Flying Boat terminal (hence Marine Air Terminal) which is why you'll still see a ramp leading into the water from the runway near the terminal. There used to be a long dock leading to the water that was used for boarding floating aircraft. You can see it from above with google maps, or you can go to the web to learn more about it.

It's a national historic landmark, and has been restored and it's worth a visit if you make it to LGA.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ckfred

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:07 am

It will be interesting to see how well ORD-LGA does for DL. DL may be going for O&D traffic, but it will only get it at LGA. Everyone in Chicago that flies out of ORD goes either on AA or UA, unless they have a corporate policy that requires another carrier.

But even then, DL is only flying 5 rountrips. AA flies 18 roundtrips, and UA runs about the same.

cancidas

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:12 am

will be nice to see another EMB-170 at LGA. i think that the service may pose some problems for the shuttle operation at the MAT, even though there is now way to add it to the existing DL terminal. DL only has 6 gates there, which are full most of the time from what i see.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

worldtraveler

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:25 am

DL will undoubtedly be tapping on the shoulders of its corporate accts in NYC and telling them DL expects them to be flying this new service. DL added it along w/ LGAMIA and LGADFW because these round out the top markets from LGA and DL has to be in all of them to compete. AA added LGAATL because it is in the top 10. So now you have two airlines vying for the top 10 markets from LGA. Both should do fine.

LGA777

Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:59 pm

Two other advantages for DL is at the MAT the 170 will be on a jetway, at the regular DL Terminal would probably (at the very least some flights) be remote parked and passengers bussed (very short ride) to the aircraft, the same way all of DL's CR7's. CRJ's, and ERJ's are boarded at LGA. The other advantage depending on Runway use and just how conjested LGA is at that moment but the reduction in taxi in and taxi out time could be HUGE at the MAT !

The only disadvantage's as other's have mentioned are for connecting passengers, probably a fraction of total revenue, and for the occasional passenger not aware and goes to regular DL Terminal in error. if they are cutting it close time wise might miss their flight.

All in all thought a brilliant idea by Delta !

Regards

LGA777

FlyDeltaJets

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:10 pm

Quoting LGA777 (Reply 25):
Two other advantages for DL is at the MAT the 170 will be on a jetway, at the regular DL Terminal would probably (at the very least some flights) be remote parked and passengers bussed (very short ride) to the aircraft, the same way all of DL's CR7's. CRJ's, and ERJ's are boarded at LGA

Generally the 170's (speaking for JFK ops) always get a jetway because the would need pax stairs, wereas the RJ's have built in stairs a need nothing but chocks and cones.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

worldtraveler

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:41 pm

LGA777,
since the MAT is at acorner of the two runways opposite the DL flight center, the flights to the MAT would either get long taxi-ins or taxi-outs depending on the configuration of the airport but they wouldn't get both. The same runway configuration would produce the opposite effect at the DL Flight Center.

jsposaune

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:09 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 20):
does the airport have an easy connection to either a train, bus, or subway from the Marine Air Terminal?

Take the M60 bus to the Astoria St. subway station, and you can be in midtown Manhattan in 30 minutes, give or take.
There are no stupid questions....only stupid people!!!

LGA777

Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:06 am

World Traveler, while there are numerous runway configerations at LGA the most common is land 22, depart 13. This is one of serveral configerations where the taxi time "BOTH" to and from the MAT is "significantly shorter than all the other terminals at LGA. Just my two cents and I am a 20 year LGA employee of a DL Competitor.

Respecfully

LGA777

positiverate

Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:00 am

, does the airport have an easy connection to either a train, bus, or subway from the Marine Air Terminal?

There is a bus that goes there, which you can connect to the subway from.

There's also the NYC Airport Express. For $12 o/w ($20 r/t) you can go to Grand Central or the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

LGA777

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:08 am

Delta has a large billboard as you come off (eastbound) the Triboro Bridge entering Queens from Manhattan. I noticed a few days ago it now advertises the new ORD service and the conveniant location of the Marine Air Terminal !

Cheers

LGA777

kkfla737

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:04 am

Exactly, this might also be an extension of te Shuttle routes? Kinda like what the Eastern shuttle did way back when, when it not only served DCA and BOS, but also DTW, ORD and IAD?

Also Montreal was an EA Shuttle "tag along" if you want to call it that.

Mir

Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:56 am

One question about LGA, does the airport have an easy connection to either a train, bus, or subway from the Marine Air Terminal?

There is a bus (M60).

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 27):
since the MAT is at acorner of the two runways opposite the DL flight center, the flights to the MAT would either get long taxi-ins or taxi-outs depending on the configuration of the airport but they wouldn't get both. The same runway configuration would produce the opposite effect at the DL Flight Center.

The MAT is quite conveniently located, except if you land on 13 (very uncommon) or takeoff on 31 (less uncommon, but still not a usual occurrence).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

rjpieces

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 33):
The MAT is quite conveniently located, except if you land on 13 (very uncommon) or takeoff on 31 (less uncommon, but still not a usual occurrence).

I don't mind taking off on 31....The extra taxi time is made up by a slightly shorter flight (to DCA at least).
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

INTENSS

Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting Cancidas (Reply 23):
will be nice to see another EMB-170 at LGA. i think that the service may pose some problems for the shuttle operation at the MAT, even though there is now way to add it to the existing DL terminal. DL only has 6 gates there, which are full most of the time from what i see.

The shuttle operation is only using 4 gates at a time (2 inbound DCA/BOS and 2 outbound DCA/BOS). However, even then they're using the same a/c to turn around which means only 2 are actually in use most of the time. The other a/c on the gates typically aren't in use at the same time. In this case, they can remote park them over in the GA ramp. This is what they used to do with the 727's when they were RON. The 6 gates would be packed and around 3 others would be parked at the GA ramp (where Trump's 727 parks). Plenty of room for these ORD flights.

Quoting Jsposaune (Reply 28):
Take the M60 bus to the Astoria St. subway station, and you can be in midtown Manhattan in 30 minutes, give or take.

Astoria Blvd....not street. :P Usual trip time is 15 minutes to Lexington Ave.

-Rich

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos