zippyjet

Messy Cretins Can Drive Or Go Greyhound!

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:09 pm

We have the thread about rude nasty passengers. My pet peave of the day are folks who think a commercial airliner is akin to an outhouse! We have 25 minute turns. This enables us to charge cheap fares to popular destinations. Meaning during the busy day, we don't have the luxury of time to make the planes spic and span. We laugh and dread inbound flights from MCO. Why? Because you have families where the semi braindead parents don't know good manners and common sense from a hole in the head! When me and my sister were coming of age, our parents laid down the law. You make a mess, your butt will just stay home. We were told in no uncertain terms to clean up after ourselves when out in public. Which of course included flying. How would you like to clean up that mess? Was part of my parent's vocabulary. Meaning, would you get down on your hands and knees and clean up your shit? We got the message. Is this too much to ask today? Flight attendants tell me of instances where clueless mothers would ask them to discipline their evil spawn! Yeah right! Try that and chances are good that you will have some lawyer breathing up your ass! It would be cool to have hidden mini-cameras next to the gaspers and lights. So, when we would be faced with a row of seats with ground in cheesey goldfish, kiddy puke, discarded turd laden diapers/nappies we could trace those slovenly passengers and present them with a nice little bill for cleanup and hazmat removal. Just maybe, these miscreants will learn, that the cabin of a 717 is not their personal shit shack!

http://tecfa.unige.ch/~nova/img/piles.jpg

Where the f*&k are those mickey mouse ears???

I paid $49.00 for my ticket to Orlando! The stewardess can clean up little
Connor's poopy mess! Thats what they get paid for!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

flyf15

RE: Messy Cretins Can Drive Or Go Greyhound!

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Hey how'd you get those pictures of my friend's house?

WesternA318

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:17 pm

AMEN ZIPPYJET! It's about god-damned time someone vocalized this. I remember once at TWA I worked with the cleaners in ATH. Now THERE was a nasty flight. The entire 747 (N93119, believe it or not) was pretty much marinated in these pax' junk and filth!
Check out my blog at fl310travel.blogspot.com!

9252fly

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:38 pm

Zippyjet,I was laughing so hard that I almost piss*d myself...oh,oh too late!

WesternA318

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:41 pm

Is that a jetBlue reciept down there?  box 

iairallie

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:18 pm

Quoting 9252fly (Reply 3):
I was laughing so hard that I almost piss*d myself...oh,oh too late!

Just make sure you clean up after yourself!
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

zippyjet

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 2):
AMEN ZIPPYJET! It's about god-damned time someone vocalized this.

Imagine a flight that just got in from Mickey Mouse's house. The crew greets me and warns me about funky row 14. The crew deplanes. This bird has a complete crew changeover and then is bound for BOS or ROC. 125 souls exit the plane. Remember, our 717's seat 117 people which means, surprise surprise, 8 bambinos were part of the mix! The outbound flight took 117 out (to ROC or BOS). Business class and rows 10 thru. 12 had your normal crap from an inbound MCO flight, junk food wrappers, our complimentary headphones and ground into the blue carpet orange FL Save the Whales cheesy fishy things. When ground into the floor they smell like feet on a warm and humid Baltimore day. Par for the course! And then, eeeks

This picture doesn't do justice to what Zippyjet encountered in the HORROR OF FUNKY ROW 14! Imagine puke all over the seat cushions, seatback and yes seat pocket. It was humongous hurl! And the pile on the floor featured a lovely mix of what looked like macaroni and cheese au jous puke! Garnished in what looked like Oodles and Noodles. Mix in some our oh so cheesy FL Save the Whale's fishy things, and a soggy pee logged box of some generic brand of Nilla Wafers that looked to be half chewed. And I forgot the crowning touch of several greesy soiled bags of fast food, semi chewed chicken or I think pidgeon nuggets. Uum uum good  vomit  The hazmat powder shit that supposedly neutralizes and drys up wet hazmat matter just was no match for the HORROR OF FUNKY ROW 14! We had to cover said organic puke de ville with trash bags and put a big white and blue tape that rendered this row of seats out of order! Three passengers got free round trips, hotel and meals. So, this cretin family cost us more than just the major cleanup and de-hazmatting of: THE HORROR OF FUNKY ROW 14!

• This family of miscreants must be found and prevented from further terrorization via bodily fluids.
  • Made to pony up and defray the expenses incurred. Even if that means, them having to surrender their big gas guzzline SUV complete with abundant succulent waste products and those Bush Cheney bumper stickers over to the sloppy seconds hall of fame of grotesque horrors!
  • Momma and paps should both be steralized both figurative and literally; so they can never again reproduce and to erradicate as much of the funk as possible.

I believe I heard stories that the Little Mermaid stole Cinderella's lost slipper down at Disney and inhaled the footsy fumes rather than having to deal with that awful family that created, THE HORROR OF FUNKY ROW 14!

Where the f&^k are Cinderella's or Alice N Wonderland's smelly slippers when you need them?

ctbarnes

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:28 pm

Oh, goody. Another passengers are idiots thread.  Yeah sure

It never ceases to amaze me how much this industry really hates its customers.

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

zippyjet

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:37 pm

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 7):
Oh, goody. Another passengers are idiots thread.

Charles, SJ

You mean, we should go and give them a hug and rub their feet? Not to be catty, but as they say on Jerry Springer: "Go To Oprah!"

ltbewr

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:39 pm

Problem is that some passangers are idiots, or at least irresponsable people. Would you want some visitor to your house to act in the same way? So why act so uncouth on an airplane?

WesternA318

Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:09 pm

Exactly LTBEWR, I wonder what makes these people act like this, on planes? When i get on a plane, it's my temple until time to disembark...

MEA-707

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:19 pm

ok I know it's an uphill battle but just wanted to throw in a countervailing view. In Economy when the plane is full, it's nearly impossible to pick the trash of the ground, either if you are seated or when you deboard. I once dropped a blanket and cup on the ground during the flight and waited to pick them up til after we arrived, but impossible due to the other passengers at the aisle as well.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

cainanuk

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:33 pm

Here here. We seem to forget that we are a customer service based industry. No passengers = No airline.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 9):

Simple fact is that our passengers are NOT guests. They ARE paying customers and some people are jerks that feel that $49 tickets to Orlando entitle them to drop their food wrapper on the floor. But at the end of the day you just have to suck it up and deal with it.

I work in customer service for a Star Alliance airline and it amazes me how many people in this industry hate our customers. If you cant deal with customer service then dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Cainan Cornelius

DLPMMM

Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:58 pm

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 12):
Simple fact is that our passengers are NOT guests. They ARE paying customers and some people are jerks that feel that $49 tickets to Orlando entitle them to drop their food wrapper on the floor. But at the end of the day you just have to suck it up and deal with it.

My problem is with airlines that charge $49.00 for tickets. These unprofitable prices are the cause of Mr. Trailer Trash and his common law wife flying at all, instead of just driving their pick-up truck to where they are going (or staying home on the porch).

This is also the cause of the airport congestion, as these morons try to find their way through security with the kitchen sink among their carry-ons, extra searches due to the metal in the steel plates in their heads, and gawking at all the neat stuff in the airport concourse (like shopping, and food, and indoor plumbing, and everything... gee whiz!).

I think a tax of $100 OW per short haul, $200 OW per medium haul and $300 OW per long haul should be imposed just to get these scumbags off of the planes.

The money can be rebated back to the airlines at the end of the year.

nwafflyer

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:43 pm

Yes, you are a service industry, but there's a limit to what you should be expected to do. As a very frequent flyer, I dread trips to Florida -- for the exact same reason. When I was growing up, I was expected to behave, basically, in public, don't speak unless spoken too, and do what I was told.

Parents today are different - the same thing happens in restaurants. Two screaming kids can ruin dinner for 40 people. Asian children are wonderfully well behaved, as are Mexican and South American kids. Most European kids are also good. It's us, the great US, and I blame the parents, not the kids. I feel for the people cleaning the planes, but even more, I feel for the poor people who were in row 15

satx

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 13):
I think a tax of $100 OW per short haul, $200 OW per medium haul and $300 OW per long haul should be imposed just to get these scumbags off of the planes.

They already have such a system. It's called the private jet fleet and it does an absolutely fantastic job of keeping all the lowly "scumbags" off of the planes including, apparently, those who complain about commercial travel on internet airline forums.

[Edited 2006-03-12 14:08:01]
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

nwafflyer

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:26 pm

I disagree here -- I sympathize totally with Zippyjet and all the other airline workers on here. There is no need for a person to turn into a pig, or allow their families to be 'pigs' just because they are on a plane. A hotel would charge them for damages. They give all passengers a bad name, add to the cost of travel for all of us, and are poor examples of the human race.

My dogs are better behaved, yet they cannot travel in the cabin.

don81603

Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:54 pm

Ah, welcome to the "New World Order".
When I was growing up, any signs of lack of respect was dealt with in a way that made sitting uncomfortable. I know I'll get flamed for this, but IMHO, making spanking illegal was one of the 20th centuries worst ideas. It, or the threat/fear thereof helped keep many of us in line, and helped to instill the good habits we have today. What discipline do we have now? A time out! Well, stop the presses! How many kids/monsters today are swayed by this? None. Kids know there's little a parent can do, so they know they can get away with damn near anything their little heart desires, and no repercussions! As for adults acting like this, I'd say the worst ones are in the 25-35 year age bracket, products of the first years of "No Spanking".

Yes, I had my butt whooped a few times. Not too many, just enough to let me know where the line was. A few times I pressed my luck, and wandered over the line just a wee bit, and I was knocked back to the proper side of the line in short order. Again, not enough to hurt (save for feelings and pride), but it was effective, and as I stated earlier, it instilled good habits I carry to this day.

By the way, Zippy, where'd you get the pics of my EX wife's apartment? You must have told her you were coming. Looks like she tidied it up a bit.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

JAGflyer

Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:04 pm

I pay for my ticket. That pays the cleaners salary. I can shit all over the place, leave my 12 empty beer bottles and empty burger wrappers all over the place and piss all over the lavatory. Who the hell cares, I don't clean it up. I'm the average person. I don't care about anyone but myself.

-Your average "Low-Fare" style passenger.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

HPRamper

Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:08 pm

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 11):
I once dropped a blanket and cup on the ground during the flight and waited to pick them up til after we arrived, but impossible due to the other passengers at the aisle as well.

Yes, but there's a huge difference between that, which is obviously an accident, and other common offenses such as leaving used Kleenex wads in the seat back pocket, getting your peanuts or pretzels or what have everywhere BUT in your mouth...half eaten cheeseburgers crammed into the seat back, the dirty diaper surreptitiously wedged against the side of the plane under the window seat....

As one who has vacuumed many a RON plane I ask myself, why open every bag of peanuts you get if you do not plan on eating them?

FATFlyer

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:13 am

Its not airline passengers but society.

I've seen people drop trash on the ground in a park or shopping center even though the trash can is just a few steps away. Or leave cups and popcorn containers on the floor at a movie theater even though there is a trash can as you leave each theater.

How much trash has to be picked up off US highways every year? In California alone it was 11,500,000 pounds picked up by CalTrans from highways in 2004.

Don't phrase this in terms of just airline passengers, many people are just plain sloppy, thoughtless and lazy to pick up after themselves.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

HPRamper

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 20):

Sad as that is, absolutely true. It took me months to break my girlfriend of the habit of tossing her cigarette butts out the window even though her car's ashtray was empty. When she moved out here I told her, "that might fly in DC, but don't mess up my Northwest."

Now if I could only break her of smoking, period.

lhrmaccoll

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:29 am

Hahahahahahahaha thankyou for this post, it really does make a hell of a lot of sense

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 21):

You got that one right
A

cainanuk

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting Nwafflyer (Reply 14):
My problem is with airlines that charge $49.00 for tickets. These unprofitable prices are the cause of Mr. Trailer Trash and his common law wife flying at all, instead of just driving their pick-up truck to where they are going (or staying home on the porch).

This is also the cause of the airport congestion, as these morons try to find their way through security with the kitchen sink among their carry-ons, extra searches due to the metal in the steel plates in their heads, and gawking at all the neat stuff in the airport concourse (like shopping, and food, and indoor plumbing, and everything... gee whiz!).

My oh my dont we paint with a very broad brush? Very pig headed and narrow minded comments by you Sir. Guess you are just pissed because your "legacy" carrier of choice, the one that certainly would not allow such commoner scum on board, will be no more soon? Hmm...
Cainan Cornelius

iairallie

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:47 am

are jerks that feel that $49 tickets to Orlando entitle them to drop their food wrapper on the floor. But at the end of the day you just have to suck it up and deal with it

If you toss that same wrapper on the lawn of a public park you can be fined for littering. It never ceased to amaze me how after running up and down the aisle doezens of time with the trashbags I would still find nasty surprises hidden creatively all over the plane.

cainanuk

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 24):
If you toss that same wrapper on the lawn of a public park you can be fined for littering. It never ceased to amaze me how after running up and down the aisle doezens of time with the trashbags I would still find nasty surprises hidden creatively all over the plane.

I see your argument but this is not a public park. This is an airplane. Just like people make a mess in a restaurant or a hotel room (both service industries), an airplane is no different.

I deal with rude passengers, in all different socio-economic classes on a daily basis, and it is just part of the gig. I said it before and I will say it again, if you have no patience for the travelling public, then get out and go do something else. Nobody held a gun to my head to do what I do.
Cainan Cornelius

WesternA318

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:37 am

These unprofitable prices are the cause of Mr. Trailer Trash and his common law wife flying at all, instead of just driving their pick-up truck to where they are going (or staying home on the porch).

Amen, sounds like my ex Sarah, she and her returned-from-Iraq vet (who isnt too bright in the first place) were flying from JFK to LGB and they were bragging about how they left all this trash on the plane that they had carried on from JFK, and how quickly they got away in LGB...  hissyfit 

as these morons try to find their way through security with the kitchen sink among their carry-ons, extra searches due to the metal in the steel plates in their heads, and gawking at all the neat stuff in the airport concourse (like shopping, and food, and indoor plumbing, and everything... gee whiz!).

LOL, she was also bragging about keeping the car rental's keys and even showed them to me when she came back to Utah...

Quoting Nwafflyer (Reply 14):
Two screaming kids can ruin dinner for 40 people. Asian children are wonderfully well behaved, as are Mexican and South American kids. Most European kids are also good. It's us, the great US, and I blame the parents, not the kids. I feel for the people cleaning the planes, but even more, I feel for the poor people who were in row 15

Amen...the idiots that do this don't suffer, they are laughing all the way off the plane...a friend of mine was flying SLC-JFK on B6 one night and this mom dropped her baby's diaper on his shoe under her seat!! needless to say, the diaper opened up all over his feet...

Quoting Nwafflyer (Reply 16):
I disagree here -- I sympathize totally with Zippyjet and all the other airline workers on here. There is no need for a person to turn into a pig, or allow their families to be 'pigs' just because they are on a plane.

ex ACT ly.

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 17):
I'd say the worst ones are in the 25-35 year age bracket, products of the first years of "No Spanking".

Thank god I didn't turn out that way, my parents knew how to get my butt back in shape...

Quoting Don81603 (Reply 17):
By the way, Zippy, where'd you get the pics of my EX wife's apartment? You must have told her you were coming. Looks like she tidied it up a bit.

Naww...looks like my pad after I gave it to my roomate when I moved out after college ended.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 19):
half eaten cheeseburgers crammed into the seat back, the dirty diaper surreptitiously wedged against the side of the plane under the window seat....

LOL, I was flying DL from ATH to FRA way back in the 90's...someone had a half a bratwurst sticking out of the safety card!

Quoting FATFlyer (Reply 20):
In California alone it was 11,500,000 pounds picked up by CalTrans from highways in 2004.

Holy schnikes!

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 23):
Sir. Guess you are just pissed because your "legacy" carrier of choice, the one that certainly would not allow such commoner scum on board, will be no more soon?

Which legacy would you be referring to?

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 24):
It never ceased to amaze me how after running up and down the aisle doezens of time with the trashbags I would still find nasty surprises hidden creatively all over the plane.

Oh yeah...

B777-700

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:50 am

Here here. We seem to forget that we are a customer service based industry. No passengers = No airline.

Do you guys like sitting in that?

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 23):
My oh my dont we paint with a very broad brush? Very pig headed and narrow minded comments by you Sir. Guess you are just pissed because your "legacy" carrier of choice, the one that certainly would not allow such commoner scum on board, will be no more soon? Hmm...

No, he's actually right. It is partially the airlines fault. Low fares attract low class people, no matter the airline.

Quoting Cainanuk (Reply 25):
I deal with rude passengers, in all different socio-economic classes on a daily basis, and it is just part of the gig. I said it before and I will say it again, if you have no patience for the travelling public, then get out and go do something else. Nobody held a gun to my head to do what I do.

Doesn't personal responsibility, consideration, and respect for other people exist anymore?
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

HPRamper

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:55 am

I would argue that low fares are not the problem. First class is generally as dirty as the rest of the plane, and in some cases worse. Those are not low fare tickets.

MD-90

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:53 am

I saw bathrooms like the second picture in the thread starter while on a mission in Bay St. Louis after Hurricane Katrina. Crap (not literally...I hope) got washed in...it looked similiar to that.

ContnlEliteCMH

Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:54 am

Well, if it weren't for those stupid users, we computer geeks would have a much better time!

I wonder how many of the cretins are the same people I sometimes must deal with? I mean, they have to get their money somewhere. Hmmmmm....
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

ILOVEA340

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:43 am

For heavens sake don't tlet these people take greyhound. I'm stuck on Greyhound a few times a year to get home from school when EUG-SFO fares are high (often well over $400 for a 70min flight).
On the plane you have to deal with it for perhaps a few hours. On greyhound you may be sitting next to this person for a DAY or more!
On the airplane you also have a wonderful little air nozzle that can blow air at your face (or against mr. smell). On the greyhound thee is no such luxury.

The fact is that there should be a responsibility for ANYONE who uses any service which has them sitting in close quarters with other members of the public, to maintain a certain level of bodily cleanliness.

Greyhound, and airline or even a restaurant or theater sould have just as much a right to deny someone entry for poor hygiene as for being intoxicated. In fact, drunk people are often less an issue than bad smelling ones.

zippyjet

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:46 am

I love my job! I realize one of the not so nice aspects are some passengers have their stupid, and messy episodes. Where I draw the line is when it comes to excessive and hazardous mess! Leaving shit, half eaten cheeseburgers, soiled diapers/nappies is akin to vandalism! I've worked in hotels where the property will go after guests who've left far less offenses in their rooms. Sometimes taking advantage of those messy guests. To the gentleman who says he has the right to shit and trash his seat because he ponied up $49.00 is off base on this one.
You are entitled to a safe, uneventful flight. You deserve and should get the best customer service possible. You also should have a clean and healthy environment when you fly. It doesn't matter whether you are non-rev, paid $49.00 or paid $490.00 for your ticket! Shitting and trashing an airplane seat costs us all in the long run. More labor to clean up your mess, extra time incurring flight delays. Little delays snowball into major ones. And, you are putting your fellow passengers and yes us airline employess who get paid at an unecessary risk in having to encounter this hazmat. And, churlish behavior does not discriminate in regard to socio economics. The no spanking timeout politically correct model of parenting has failed miserably! We need an injection of common sense and common courtesy! At 35,000 feet and on terra firma!

FiveMileFinal

Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:57 am

What kills me is that people here think this is solely a problem with the "lower class."

Small hint: It's not.
You goin'? We fly you dere! You been? We done already flew up in dere!

WesternA318

Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 28):
First class is generally as dirty as the rest of the plane, and in some cases worse. Those are not low fare tickets.

Nope, theyre all upgrades...

redneckslim

Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:40 am

In Taxi Driver he said he had to "wipe the kum off the seats" in his cab, I wonder if the drunken spring break crowd screw in the seats and leave little gifts for the next pax to sit on?

HPRamper

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:30 am

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 26):
a friend of mine was flying SLC-JFK on B6 one night and this mom dropped her baby's diaper on his shoe under her seat!! needless to say, the diaper opened up all over his feet...

And that's when you politely deposit the diaper (opened) on the mother's lap.

Quoting Redneckslim (Reply 35):
I wonder if the drunken spring break crowd screw in the seats and leave little gifts for the next pax to sit on?

EXTREMELY hard to get away with in a full airplane cabin.

WesternA318

Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:49 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 36):
And that's when you politely deposit the diaper (opened) on the mother's lap

He just shoved it over to her baby bag between her feet.

ctbarnes

Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 8):
You mean, we should go and give them a hug and rub their feet? Not to be catty, but as they say on Jerry Springer: "Go To Oprah!"

No, I'm the one whose expected to do that. Sometimes I wonder if by my presence in the terminal I'm just enabling bad service and/or bad staff attitudes.

Quoting Nwafflyer (Reply 16):
I disagree here -- I sympathize totally with Zippyjet and all the other airline workers on here. There is no need for a person to turn into a pig, or allow their families to be 'pigs' just because they are on a plane.

The problem is if you go into a situation expecting people to be pigs, they won't disappoint. Psychologists call this a self-fulfilling prophesy and it is why such blanket statements such as these are so unhelpful. Respect is a two way street, and while granted there are a group of about 10% of hard core people we'd all love to push out an exit door at 35,000 feet on any given flight there are many more who you'd wish were on board every flight you work. Why don't we see any threads about them?

Charles, SJ

KLM11

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:33 pm

The thing that just amazes me are the callow attitudes many of the airline employes have toward the customers! Unfortunally, the world is not perfect, and NOT ALL four-year-olds are able to sit properly and eat caviar at the Four Seasons! I agree with the aircraft cleaners who dislike cleaning up others trash, etc., however, the stories about vomit are just disrespectful. I can recall flying OAK-SAN last April when a disabled man sitting behind me threw up all over the back of my seat (Exit Row). Although I was not happy with what had happened, I became even more upset with how poorly the flight attendants treated the man following the inncedent! It was not his fault! So when I hear the stories of aircraft cleaners saying how much they hate the passengers, etc., I just laugh! If you do not like what comes with the job, then dont do it! You are not forced to clean the inside of airplanes, however, if you decide that job looks appealing to you, just keep in mind that you will be cleaning up after others vomit, etc!
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

HPRamper

Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 38):
The problem is if you go into a situation expecting people to be pigs, they won't disappoint. Psychologists call this a self-fulfilling prophesy and it is why such blanket statements such as these are so unhelpful.

That does not apply to people doing physical things like this. If I expect a person on a plane to leave garbage behind, that will not mysteriously make them do it. Self-fulfilling prophecies have more to do with attitudes than actions.

ILOVEA340

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:02 pm

Quoting KLM11 (Reply 39):
It was not his fault!

But to a certain degree it is for not keeping the "accident" contained. I don't know about you but I have never vomitted so suddenly that there was absolutely no time to grab a vommit bag, or anyother recepticle for that matter, in order to contain the mess caused. It is ABSOLUTELY fair for an airline to expect people NOT to vommit all over an airplane (this is why they provide those little baggies) as it untimately will mean more cleaning, and delays down the line that can cost thousands of dollars and great inconvienience to a large number of people.

Skydrol

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:14 pm

Zippyjet, your mission:

Bring a camera to get photos of some of the worst pax aftermaths and post them here. Maybe then you would get sympathy from those that seem to find it to be a joke.

After flying hundreds of times, I have seen pax vandalize aircraft so badly it is just appalling.

- soiled diapers placed into the seat backs
- babys changed on seats without covering them, soiling the seats with shit
- unfinished (or even entire) drinks dumped into seat backs
- magazines glued together with safety cards from food remains
- floor carpets: you name it, it has been spilled and stomped into it
- toilets filled to the rim with paper and shit
- lavs trashed with every paper product tossed like a tornado would
- oceans of piss on the lav floor - enough the carpet by the lav door is even soaked!
- grafitti on window shades
- grafitti on folding table tops
- entire meals tossed onto a sidewall and floor because the brat kid didn't like it
- brat kids squirting fruit drink boxes onto the ceiling and sidewalls
- pax putting their shoes on the bulkheads or seats

... it doesn't end. I'm sure others can add more.

You get those pictures Zippyjet, and then people here will understand just how disheartening it is for you to see this time and time again.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

FCYTravis

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:29 pm

The customer is not always right.

If a customer does something completely voluntarily that causes the company to lose money on the seat (like so terribly messing up a set of seats that they have to be bad-ordered, forcing the company to put three people up in hotels because they couldn't be accomodated), then the company is much better off never having had that customer at all.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

ctbarnes

Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:53 pm

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 42):
You get those pictures Zippyjet, and then people here will understand just how disheartening it is for you to see this time and time again.

You think that's bad, try a hospital.

My first job was working in food service. The stuff that would sometimes come back on the trays were disgusting. Among the half eaten garbage we served were other things like a basin or a coffee cup someone vomited in, sputum that was coughted up on to a plate, or the best one was a used condom.

I also spent time as a nursing assistant. You always remember your first "code brown," cleaning up a patient after he or she crapped all over himself. Or perhaps someone vomiting all over the bed while you're trying to put in a catheter and you're not being able to do anything right away because you're sterile and can't clean him up until afterwards. Or perhaps having to take a room out of service because someone threw their full ostomy bag at a nurse who suggested that he stop shouting at her, and then had to listen to the grief from admitting about the backlog in the ER.

It wasn't pleasant, but we got on with it and did our jobs. Once more we did them without resorting to whiney vitriol about how inconsiderate a man was because he did not realize he had no bowel control, or someone who used his meal tray as their personal trash can. We did laugh about the condom for months afterward, though...

Sorry. No sympathy.

Charles, SJ

[Edited 2006-03-13 07:58:17]

Mir

Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:13 pm

Unfortunally, the world is not perfect, and NOT ALL four-year-olds are able to sit properly and eat caviar at the Four Seasons!

This is true, and they shouldn't be expected to. But their parents should be expected to keep them at least somewhat in check.

I can recall flying OAK-SAN last April when a disabled man sitting behind me threw up all over the back of my seat (Exit Row). Although I was not happy with what had happened, I became even more upset with how poorly the flight attendants treated the man following the inncedent! It was not his fault!

Physiological stuff is one thing - I can't fault that man for what happened. Maybe it was totally beyond his control. I'm not talking about that kind of thing. I'm talking about putting dirty diapers, half-eaten meals, and god knows what else in the seatback pocket. I'm talking about dropping wrappers on the floor or filling the toilet with paper towels (despite placards stating that you should not to that). I'm talking about letting your kid throw their goldfish crackers on the floor, and then not caring enough to pick them up so that they don't get ground into the carpet by people walking on them. Basic littering, in other words. Don't try to tell me that people can't control that kind of thing.

It really is a simple concept - the F/A comes by with the garbage bag, and you give them your garbage to put in it. It takes very little effort, and it makes the job of the people who clean the aircraft a lot easier. I never leave trash on the plane. Either I give it to the F/A when they come to collect it, or I take it off the plane and find a garbage can in the terminal. Sometimes I take other people's trash off the plane if I see that they've left it. Last night I picked up something like five wrappers from beneath the seats of a couple with two rambunctious kids - took about thirty seconds, and I still made my connecting flight. Probably saved someone who had been on their feet all day from having to bend over to grab them.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

iairallie

Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 42):
But to a certain degree it is for not keeping the "accident" contained. I don't know about you but I have never vomitted so suddenly that there was absolutely no time to grab a vommit bag, or anyother recepticle for that matter, in order to contain the mess caused. It is ABSOLUTELY fair for an airline to expect people NOT to vommit all over an airplane (this is why they provide those little baggies) as it untimately will mean more cleaning, and delays down the line that can cost thousands of dollars and great inconvienience to a large number of people.

It happened to me once. I got very sudden violent foodpoisoning. I started to cross santa monica blvd in LAX feeling a little queasy by the time I got to the other side I was running for the waste bin but didn't make it in time. As a crewmember I empathize with ill passengers. I do what I can to make them more comfortable. have the capt turn up the ac, open vents, get fresh sick bags, a mint, hot towels to tidy with, ice chips and some water to rinse with. The drunks are a different story. To me that is equivalent to vandalism.

Quoting Ctbarnes (Reply 44):
You think that's bad, try a hospital.

My first job was working in food service. The stuff that would sometimes come back on the trays were disgusting. Among the half eaten garbage we served were other things like a basin or a coffee cup someone vomited in, sputum that was coughted up on to a plate, or the best one was a used condom.

I also spent time as a nursing assistant. You always remember your first "code brown," cleaning up a patient after he or she crapped all over himself. Or perhaps someone vomiting all over the bed while you're trying to put in a catheter and you're not being able to do anything right away because you're sterile and can't clean him up until afterwards. Or perhaps having to take a room out of service because someone threw their full ostomy bag at a nurse who suggested that he stop shouting at her, and then had to listen to the grief from admitting about the backlog in the ER.

It wasn't pleasant, but we got on with it and did our jobs. Once more we did them without resorting to whiney vitriol about how inconsiderate a man was because he did not realize he had no bowel control, or someone who used his meal tray as their personal trash can. We did laugh about the condom for months afterward, though...

Sorry. No sympathy.

Charles, SJ

Completely different environment. Key difference is that hospitals have SICK people in them. If you are sick you shouldn't be on an airplane.

HPRamper

Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:12 pm

Pay the fare and you're entitled to make a mess? Hardly. You're entitled to transportation by air and nothing else.

I pay to stay in hotel rooms, that does not give me the right to trash them. I pay a lease, but I am not allowed to destroy my apartment. I can do it, but I take a financial hit.

I wish there was some way to blacklist people who do this kind of stuff. Keep a record of who trashed what row, next time they try to book, they find fares are a bit more expensive. In a perfect world it would be industry-wide, so it wouldn't matter who they tried to fly on...they'd either have to suck it up and pay, or change their messy ways. Force-fed manners.

don81603

Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting Redneckslim (Reply 35):
I wonder if the drunken spring break crowd screw in the seats and leave little gifts for the next pax to sit on?

I don't know about airlines pax, but when I drove taxi, there would always be a mystery mess that needed cleaning. Fortunately, the cab company had the foresight to order all the cars with rubber interiors. Open the doors, and blast the (edited for broadcast) out of it with a pressure washer. I remember a day when I had to do it 4 times. Stupid drunken college punks. No wonder I never had any kids.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

ctbarnes

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:20 am

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 46):
Completely different environment. Key difference is that hospitals have SICK people in them. If you are sick you shouldn't be on an airplane.

I don't think so, particularly when you add family and other visitors into the mix.

Charles, SJ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos